Heroes of the Vampire Kingdoms
GM: Pender Lumkiss
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Part 4.2: El Paso, Pressed Before the Storm

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

+1 Benny for the successful completion of the quick combat and 1st round

The battle ends and a struggle is renewed!

Silence and the full moon greet the heroes after the crowd is evacuated. No one comes for the hurt and injured members of El Paso's Hope.
The knight alchemist helps Ignis the hobbled Red Rhino cyborg out of the arena. She looks at Luc and frowns, " We are done here... That contest was a bloodbath... Too many lost their lives today... Too many friends dead." She beats back her tears, " There is nothing in the rules that prevents members from one team joining another to make it complete. You would do well to see if the Heroes of New Del Rio would take you as their 8th member... Our journey ends here." The big blue guy lies on the ground unmoving as does his mighty hammer...
Vela
The fetish at your feet beckons... Something made for an normally worn by an elder of a jaguar tribe. When you touch it describe what happens, when you allow your inner stregth to flow into it describe what happens. Based on those two things we will have more or less what the fetish is and does.
AT-shirts, collector cups, foam fingers, and other memorabilia litter the ground, of the desolate arena, forgotten by their owner. A faint cry for help from 8 or 9, maybe more people reach the ears of the heroes. It would appear several people are trapped underneath a ton of rubble as a main support of the arena must have collapsed, an exploded hotdog cart would seem to be what caused the pillar to give way... Will these people be able to survive with all that metal, and stone on top of them for much longer??
" Help... Help... A demon's mask!"
" Quiet fool she is trying to help us... Thats one of the contestants!"
A willful yet inconsequential groan comes from inside the trapped area, followed by a frightened voice.
" Help... I can't breathe, its so hard...!" Faint gasps for breath can barely be heard by the most observant. These trapped people have little time.
Dramatic Task, 5 successes needed and 3 people are saved, 10 successes and all folks are saved, failure means all those trapped die
Strength roll's are needed to get the the rubble and column out of the way. Scene modifier is a standard -2. Other skills and abilities can be used if they make sense but at an additional -2 penalty.

Two weeks worth of rest

After the 1st round, there seems to be a 2-week downtime to get the arena ready for the next round and let those with injuries recover. The ending of the 1st round has many citizens more than concerned about the safety. But the town settles and the horrors experienced are forgotten. The heroes are greeted with warm reception where ever they may go.

The stable man at the Broken Tail, a white haired centaur named Dneal greets you warmly. The message on his sign reads, your one stop shop for animals of exotic nature.
" Ahh welcome, welcome... Life is looking good no my friends? Vampire's have left my heard and pets alone, there hasn't been sign of a wilding for the last several days. Perhaps they are cowering in fear from goodly heroes such as yourself." He grimaces slightly at the burnt down building across the street while he pets a nearby hippogriff. " Its too bad about Trevor and that Nuruni shop... Such a nice lad, always had something to sell me...". He beckons you eagerly to take a look at his animals and riding equipment. " I have trained all the animals, a skilled rider will appreciate being able to ride them bareback. I also have several well tended riding saddles that will fit any animal here. I know I am not a big shop, but for you hero of New Del Rio and victor in the 1st round I will take 10% off any purchase you make today... I even have a pair of hunting falcons."
Dneal Picture
Dneal.jpg
While you are eating an interesting fellow comes by your table. He is very well dressed in fine attire, nothing gaudy but it is clear he values well made items with a great purpose. He has a top hat, a sword that could only be a battlefury blade, and an open ledger he is looking at. He generally seems human, maybe a half elf, but he does not carry the half elf's social awkwardness. He has two muscular dwarves at his side and possibly a few more drinking hardily at the bar with him. " Ah, the Heroes of New Del Rio! As I live!" He thumps his blade on the wood floor of the dinning hall punctuating his point. " From what I hear, King Halloway has gone up and disapeared. I could use you folks in my operations... A hostile take over perhaps of his Silver mines." Some of the folks nearby the heroes table look up with a start at what he is saying. " I would have gone to those brazen CS boys, Raven Squad, but they bugged out heading south. With Rex missing, and his bar closed I wonder if their will be a second round? But as they say, money is money." He holds out a ledger and hands you a pen. He also has 8 cred chips. Anyone that can detect magic knows for certain that the ledger and pen are magical artifacts... Some kind of binding ritual. " 100,000 credits to join me on the quest to seize control of Halloway's assets... Oh, my manners, the name is Nightmare, Torrid Nightmare." He grins at the heroes...
The Bar man starts to make his way over...
Torrid Nightmare picture
Torrid Nightmare.jpg
D'Norr wizard named Etatch finds the heroes while they are out and about. He seems a bit agitated and concerned. A red imp like creature sits on his shoulder and hisses at Penitent's imp if visible. He has a glowing red staff in one hand. He speaks in a cackling voice, like he is slightly mad. " You all have taken in the the boy Wre'tch yes? I help him out from time to time and I have not seen him recently... I must find him, I hope he has not gone with those misguided fools in New Alamo. Did you hear that the entire town emptied on some kind of crusade against gloom! I would imagine few times in recorded history have so many cyberknights and Magdalenas ventured forth... If he did not go with them..." He pauses thinking for a moment and growls. His skeleton belt buckle glowing purple, " There is a new player in town, Crystalclaw... If he has taken the boy there will be a reckoning. Thinks he can buy up all the weaponry from the stores... Come, Spawn we will show him!" Seeing that the boy is not with the heroes, he spins on his heels if nothing pressing keeps him taking off for the central market.
Etatch Picture
Etatch.jpg
Pretty soon the town is talking about the next bout of battle between heroes. But for some reason the heroes get a sense that the next round is not the real battle. Some unseen threat moves on the periphery giving the two weeks of downtime more of the feel of prelude to something bigger, something only the heroes of New Del Rio will be able to tackle. But breathe easy and do what you need to do, war will soon come...

Players can make the roll to save those trapped in the arena, post what they would like to do for the down time.
Players and benny oppertunity
Your GM has cleverly hidden nuggets of info within layers of NPC text. Feel free to pull on those threads for more info. If you want to unravel a mystery give some narrative indicating which mystery you will focus on during the down time ( Note, there are 8 mysteries and 8 players, OMG!). Toss in a skill roll at -2 ( Any skill will do, WTF and where is Pender!). The skill used and success and raises achieved will directly influence the outcome of the info you find. Guess what? You get to tell us what you find and how you find it. Note any player chasing down a rumor or mystery receives 1 benny for their story craft.
  • 1) Failure, you find it but it was not pleasent and all it did was give you more questions than answers.
    2) Success, Ereka! You found the answer to the mystery, or you discovered more information about the rumor investigated. Nothing too earth shattering I am sure. Could there be more than meets the eye? You better believe it!
    3) Raise (8). Woa mind is blown. A twist! We did not expect that, but it is a good thing you sussed it out otherwise doom and gloom would have surely crippled the party. Any more to this rumor? Maybe. If you were a betting man, you would take the wager.
    4) Raise, Raise (12). That was a humdinger of a mystery or one wild rumor. Two twists, 10,000 creds, and a cracked jaw later ( note I am not saying you lost 10k, or received a cracked jaw), you have uncovered a plot of epic proportions. A demon hunger strike! No! Apoks living in our midsts, certainly. Tell us what it was that was earth shattering and let your imagination flow!
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Part 4.2: El Paso, Pressed Before the Storm

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Strength for scene 18, 4 Successes
Strength [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Extra Effort [dice]2[/dice] Extra Effort Ace [dice]3[/dice]
Always believing it is better to work cautiously Ndreare spends a couple seconds assessing the situation before deliberately choosing which boulders to lift. As the others show up to help he helps indicate which of them their efforts would work best for and which should be left alone. With deliberate patience then they may be able to save most of the people trapped in the ruble.

As the work progresses he is please with the efforts of everyone. Especially of the frail magical being. He would not have guessed her capable of contributing but she does by aiding is smaller areas. And the boost in strength during those moments of greatest need by Ashlyn where a welcome thing.

Meeting up with Fizzwaite after the battle Ndreare is still distracted by the situation. After realizing Fizzwaite was talking for awhile and he had missed all of it Ndreare says. “I’m sorry, could you repeat that last bit?”
“I said I looked into its programming, pay attention! Now software is not really my area of expertise so don’t be asking me to reprogram the damn thing for you. But long story short it wasn’t actually sent to spy on you. It’s main mission appears to be to watch out for you and assist you. Basically this electronic football was sent to give you a hand, not stab you in the back. So basically you managed to fry what someone obviously intended to be a bodyguard or assistant or some crap like that. You get the idea” Fizzwaite sounded as if he was a little distracted as well as he relayed the information. Obviously the guy was hard at work on his own stuff. “Anyway, I was able to repair all its systems and it appears to be fully functional though the little bastard does like to complain at the drop of a hat. All you have to do is introduce yourself and you are all set.”
With that the drone hovered into the room and addressed Ndreare. “Hello Ndreare I am Rodney. Yodhe sent me to assist and help you. He said you were here on this backwards planet having a good pout and and he figured you would need some help staying alive. He seemed to think that as a warrior you could need some help, and judging by the broadcast sent out I would say so. Looks like you and your friends completely failed to stop the vampiric worms from escaping to hurt the audience.
“I chose not to reveal myself to you as I thought it better to follow for a while. But as you identified me before I would react no harm now.”
The hovering drone rambled on.
Listening to the thing Ndreare figured it would be just like his brother to send a drone with a streak of arrogance and more than a little insult in its nature. “How did Yodhe find me and where is he at? I saw him in the arena, but could not get to him in time.”
Rodney made a scoffing sound, as if drones even breathed. “He found you because he is the best assassin in three galaxies and your just a wizard of course he found you. And of course you could not catch him. He likely was only there because he saw you temporarily disabled me and he wanted to keep and eye on you while I was being fixed. I would speculate that as soon as he saw the field go down and knew you were safe he simply left.” The continued little slights came so naturally to the drone Ndreare did not think it was even trying.
Looking at the drone and at Fizzwaite Ndreare says in a serious and crisp tone. “Okay fair enough. If you are here to help, then you can help. We are going to find my brother and Halloway both. So are yu going to be able to refrain from insulting me or and I going to have to get your banks wiped and start over?”
Suddenly serious the drone says. “Of course I can refrain from insulting you. I never intended any slight.”
Spending some time working out the parameters and details of the drones programming with Fizzwaite Ndreare confirms the drone is also programmed to follow Yodhe first and report back all details of his adventures. The thing was a glorified babysitter, but will be incredibly useful to have around.
Exchanging radio frequencies between both his armor and his data Edin with the drone so they can interrelate as quickly as possible he gets geared and ready to go find his prey. Handing over his helmet to the drone for repair Ndreare says. “Here is something for you to keep busy with while we get started.”
OOC Comments
Made with permission and help from the player

Roll for Scene 32!!! Holy crud on a d8
Streetwise & Investigations Both are the same, but I am calling it...
Streetwise [dice]4[/dice] Aced Die [dice]6[/dice] Ace die Aced [dice]7[/dice] Aced die Ace die Aced [dice]8[/dice]
Wild dice [dice]5[/dice]
WORK IN PROGRESS

As they leave ready to go hunt down Halloway Ndreare looks at Rodney. “I was thinking go to the arena and see if any evidence is left of where he went. What can you do to help?”
Rodney’s eye refocused closer as it was fidgeting with Ndreare’s helmet. “Help? I guess we can call if help if you mean I will do the actual investigating, while you roam around town sightseeing. I guess I can do all the work and you can look good for the media.” With that said Rodney follows along behind Ndreare offering occasional whiny or insulting commentary while the majority of its processor power was focused on listening in on radio broadcast and see if I can access anything useful on local networks. When he finally found what he was looking fo he was not surprised at all. But as Ndreare did not ask for the information yet he figured he could play this game a little bit longer.

Arriving at the stadium Ndreare started looking around. As expected there was a bolt hole behind the seat large enough for Holloway and his security detail. Following it he found the burned corpses of several of the vampiric worms and signs of some minor battles. It was obvious the man who fled through here was not in a hurry.
Once he reached the end of the tunnel he saw it simply came out in a parking area about half a mile from the stadium. Without his optics he was reliant on sight alone and he was not seeing any clues as to which of the trails could be Halloway’s. But the lack of bodies was encouraging. His arcane senses looking around he can see the residual energy of a burster and what he would guess is a line walker having helped in the escape. “See anything. Without my helmet optics I am limited.”
Rodney takes a momentary break from his repairs and looking around the area says. Most of these tracks are from the same three vehicles coming and going. I do not think either of us could follow them through the city, but perhaps those surveillance cameras will have something useful?” Gesturing with one of his multitools up in the air.

Ndreare works hard following the trail for the rest of the day and into the next day, asking around before he feels his leads have run dry. Looking around as he sits and enjoys a rat burger at the pub Rodney had found last night. “So Rodney any ideas where he is?”
The smug little drone says. “Well I was wondering if you planned as asking me. You said help, but really you just needed me to do it for you. Halloway is in the the private room in back. He has been coming here every day around lunch time.”
Standing up Ndreare was fuming. “You little shit. You had me running around time while you knew he was here yesterday? How did you find that out?”
“Oh, I simply listened in on radio chatter. I noticed that security forces cleared out a path to this restaurant and back every day around the same time and that the employees here complained a lot of vid calls to their family about how pervy he is. It was fairly obvious all in all. I was surprised even you did not get it.” Rodney said as if he was talking to a foolish student.
Frustrated, but not letting his frustration control his actions Ndreare says. “Rodney, if you pull this on me again I will find a way to program into you pain. A pain that will never stop.”
Getting up from his table and walking around to the back of the restaurant Ndreare sneaks around the guards watching Mr Halloway, sliding through shadows and into the room.
Holloway looks up from his order of spicy chicken wings and smiles. “Ah Ndreare. Master of Magic and all that. Why are you interrupting my diner.”
Ndreare looks at the man. Finding him was mostly based on ego, he wanted to kill the guy for the stunt he pulled. But he knew the guy was the only thing that kept the people in this city safe. “Well I was going to see who kidnapped you and make sure you were dead. But the last couple days roaming around the city looking for you has let me see you are an asshole, but you save a lot of lives.” With that Ndreare turns to leave sliding out of sight from Hallowway forever.
Getting back with Rodney Ndreare says. “Okay, lets see if we can find Yodhe. Do you have any ideas or know where he is at?”
Rodney’s eye pulses a greenish hue before going back to its normal colorless appearance. “No, I haven’t seen any sign on him. But here, i finished the repairs on your helmet. You know I have an idea on some upgrades when we get a chance.”

As the dark elf leaves a second dark elf steps forward from where he was invisible against the wall. “You are lucky he did not attack Mr. Halloway.”
Looking at his newest bodyguard the fat man smiles. “He may be one of the exemptions in our contract. But the others here would not have flinched twice at killing your brother to save me.” As the rest of the guards who had been sitting silently in the cubies of the walls shift. Hollowway knows they were nervous, and is a little unsure if Yodhe would have remained indifferent in such a battle.
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status
Parry: 9
Toughness: 22 (8)
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
PPE: 27 of 35 base 20 without gear

Gear Charges:
  • Amulet of the Archmage: 0/5
  • Abrandis’ Honorblade PPE: 10/10
  • Night's Kiss PPE: 0/10
  • T.W.-B.A.G.: 5/5
  • Wilk's 237: 16/16 x2
  • Wilks 447: 20/20 x2

Current effects:
  • Armor Features Activated

Bennies: 4 +1 Red Benny (Roll d10 extra effort, or reroll with a d10 wild die)
  • +5 Quarterly Reset + Great Luck.
    +1 Benny for some outstanding RP!
    +1 From GM for Art of Maker.
    -1 For Vigor Roll to Soak critical failure wound.
    +1 Benny for choosing not to use second action after critical failure per Pender in Hangouts.
    -1 Benny, Agility to interrupt Hammers after everyone went on hold for chit chat.
    -2 Interfere with Rifts rerolled twice.

Adventure Cards
Special GM removed, need interlude to obtain
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Strength 4, a miraculous single success
Strength -2 for scene, -1 for race
[dice]0[/dice]

Ace with prior
[dice]2[/dice]

WD Strength
[dice]1[/dice]

Lucianna will follow the Crystalclaw thread. She will be taking advantage of the proximity to the ley line, and using Invisibility to follow informants, sources, and leads.

Spellcasting -2 for scene
[dice]3[/dice]

Benny for Extra Effort with Elan and prior
[dice]6[/dice]

WD Spellcasting
[dice]4[/dice]

Ace WD Spellcasting with prior
[dice]5[/dice]
Lucianna hears the cries of the trapped spectators. Her face shifts from rage to worry, and she runs as quickly as she can to address the pile of rubble. Her own strength is meager at best, and lifting hunks of building rubble is not within her ability. She is not stupid, though. She quickly finds appropriate items to use as a lever, and locations in the rubble to act as a fulcrum. Somehow, she manages to pry some of the larger chunks of debris from on top of some of the trapped survivors. "Please, hold fast! We are working as quickly as we can to free you all!"
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Bennies: 2 (+1 quarter bonus, +1 joker, +1 Pender's oops, -4 for rerolling resist slumber. Really. -1 Reroll Spellcasting, -1 reroll spellcasting Kreeghor dramatic task, +1 massive success on task 2, +1 Big Damn Hero, +1 RP and completing the task/saving the world, -1 EE Agility, -1 EE dispel, -1 reroll damage, +2 Jokers)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Active Effects: Greater Boost Trait - Spellcasting (+2 die types, d12+5); Greater Deflection (-6 to hit, additional -1 to hit ranged)
Parry: 5
Toughness: 13 (7) (Combat Mage Armor, Full Environmental Protection)
PPE: 43 / 30
Pace: 6
Edges: Improved Rapid Recharge, Expanded Awareness, Elan, Marksman (spellcasting), Slow Regeneration, Expert (spellcasting); all damage dealing spells are MD, all mega-versions are +5 AP
Adventure Cards: Cutting In Line - Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
Weapon in hand: Scepter of Spellweaving
Weapon in holster: Shard Pistol, TW Flaming Sword
Edit Signature
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Strength 13, 3 Successes
Strength [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Using the Benny we just got for Extra Effort + Elan [dice]2[/dice]
Hearing the cries for help from the buried spectators, Penitent moves quickly to begin clearing the rubble. With his already prodigious strength enhanced by the snake venom pumped into his veins by the enchanted armor, he works fast alongside N'dreare and the dragon, occasionally using Durandel to cut through tangled webs of rebar and concrete.

After what seems like hours the pile has been shifted, a dark crack penetrating what would have been a mass tomb. The survivors are hauled into the light, last among them an unconscious woman clad in archaic armor. On her face is a grinning demon mask not unlike Penitent's. It is a mask he knows well.

"Someone should see to these people's wounds," he says, gathering the woman up in his arms and heading back to his room at the inn. "I'll deal with this one."

He doesn't bother tying her -- he can't remove her mask, and with it on she can summon hellfire to burn through her bonds as soon as she awakes. Instead, he props her up in the corner, where she can take in her surroundings quickly, and waits for her to wake. He sits within easy reach, Durandel drawn and laying across his knees.

Just in case she gets ideas, he thinks, before settling into a watchful meditation.

The blade proves unnecessary. The woman calling herself Confessor groans when she wakes, then raises her palms in a sign of surrender.

"I wondered when we would meet, if it would be on the battlefield or somewhere else. Only one of us has a blade drawn, so perhaps this will go better than I imagined," she says.

Penitent picks up the sword, then slips it into the scabbard at his waist.

"I wasn't sure what you were when I first heard tales. But you wear an apok's mask -- his mask -- so I must accept that whatever else you are, your heart is true. So let me see your face, and tell me how you came to bear the name of the Confessor."

She reaches up and the mask slides off easily in her hand, revealing features that are vaguely familiar. Her father's dark eyes and hard jaw ... the high cheek bones and arched brows of the female Templar rumored to be her mother.

"My father died weeks ago ... perhaps two months, although I have difficulty tracking time across dimensions. There was an attack on Worldgate, although it proved to be a distraction. He fell in the fighting and was brought to the Temple where I served. I wanted to see his face, though I knew I would not be able to remove the mask ... but somehow it came off in my hands."

Penitent raises an eyebrow. "And it chose you? Without falling first, or repenting? Without rebirth in a life-vat cauldron?"

She nods. "My life had not been without sin, but I had not given myself to the Unholy as my father did, or you. But as I held the mask, something stirred ... then my father's blood ignited, on my hands, on the mask, and his body turned into a pyre. As my flesh began to burn I cried out in pain, then raised the mask to my face and suddenly my face was the mask, its purpose my purpose. The fire burned, but I was not consumed. When the fire died out and my father was nothing but ash, I gathered up his weapons and left. I took up his mantle, his name and his mission."

Penitent leans forward, disturbed by the tale, but believing her.

"And what mission is that, that brings you here to this Earth?" he asks.

Her expression goes flat, dark eyes locking onto his.

"As I said, the attack on Worldgate was a distraction, the chaos meant to draw our attention away as someone used one of the rifts to slip through," she says, letting the unspoken question linger between the two of them for a moment before providing the answer.

"Ul-Khavan is here. He has come to this world, with the help of his allies. And I believe he seeks to bring his master through, as well."

Mystery roll and narrative below.
Penitent
Quick Stats
Wormwood Apok
Bennies: 0/3 +1 Red Benny (1d10 for EE or 1d10 Wild Die on a reroll)
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (1d12), Vigor d10 (1d12) -1 Fatigue
Charisma: -2 (-4); Pace: 8 (d10); Parry: 8 (9); Toughness: 20 (8) or 22 (8) with mask; 32 (18) with greater armor
Hindrances: Heroic, Death Wish, Overconfident, Delusional (Dunscon is the Unholy), Vow (Find daughter)
Notice d8, Intimidation d8+2
Edges and Abilities of Note: Improved Level-Headed (draw 3 initiative cards); Immune to Fear, +4 vs. mind control and possession; Notice roll to detect surprise attack or ambush by supernatural/magic foes; Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted; Gain AP 2 with melee attacks for 1 PPE; Champion
PPE: 4/20 + 10/10 (demon mask) + 10/10 (Karl - ?)
Powers (all Mega): armor with shroud trapping (ranged attacks are -1), auto-raise, cast as free action; blast with flammable and hallowed trapping (counts as cold and silver); fear with hallowed trapping (supernatural and magic are -2 to resist); quickness; smite with hallowed trapping (holy and silver), auto-raise, cast as free action.
Adventure Cards:
Active Effects: quickness with a Raise (Gains an extra round of actions, redraws Initiative of 8 or less), greater armor with a Raise (+10 Armor), and fly(at Pace)
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

In the 'Arena Aftermath', as he dubbed it inside his own head, Grynn was a bit stunned after the dust had settled. So much had happened, and so fast, his head had spun a bit. Was this what the world was like when one WASN'T trapped as an old psi-pony?? It was a bit overwhelming.

But his teammates made themselves useful in helping the people trapped, so he could do no less. He quickly hurried up to use his size and great strength as best he could to try and help those trapped, and help his teammates by hefting and holding large chunks of rubble up as they worked on the smaller pieces, without dislodging too much other debris.

He muttered to himself, "this is not good. these people just came to watch. they shouldn't be hurt."

Several different times, different people had approached the group with various tales or enticements in the time after their arena battle debut. Grynn listened to them all and some of the intrigued him or picked at his personal code of morality. While he didn't like the fact that Rex was missing, or that a D'Norr child might be missing, Grynn was most interested in the entity called 'Crystalclaw'. Could that be a Dragon?? He wasn't sure, but he wanted to find out. It would be a cool-sounding name if it was (and it caused to wonder if he needed a better-sounding nickname himself). He couldn't imagine why a dragon would be buying up weapons, however, unless they had a multitude of followers they were arming for some strange reason perhaps.

He utilized his natural shapeshifting as well as his psionic powers that allowed him to see magic, put people to sleep and turn invisible to do some investigating in to this 'Crystalclaw' person. It took him over a week to find the right people, gather information, and get close to 'Crystalclaw'. A little disappointingly, it turned out it wasn't a dragon. Apparently, it was a female cat-like humanoid D-Bee who had one arm replaced with some kind of silver-colored crystalline prosthetic arm. Grynn found out, much to his own personal detriment, that it either enhanced her natural psionic or magical abilities, or gave her the ability to use some from the arm itself! The arm glowed a red warning shade when he got close to her while invisible. He didn't know what the glow meant, and Crystalclaw played it off for a moment before her eyes started to glow and she whipped around to send a blast of energy at Grynn. He was forced to flee as Crystalclaw and her minions hurt him to within an inch of his life.

Before the confrontation, however, he had been able to learn a few things. Crystalclaw was the leader of what had previously been a gang, which had become a criminal organization with ties to several bandit groups, and expanded to include mercenary companies and freelance talent. The group called themselves the Moon-Slivers, with each member having a magical tattoo, depicting an eye inside a stylized crescent moon, on their dominant hand that could be made invisible to magic and the naked eye, allowed them to communicate long-distance and be tracked by the organization (unknown to lower-ranking members, it could also be used to cause pain or as a link for powers being used on them). They had a small network of spies, informants and assassins as well informally called the Cat's Cradle. Word was they were making a move on El Paso and may have even had a hand in some of what had happened in the arena and/or the King's disappearance.

Grynn limped quickly back to the group to inform them of what he had learned. If he was to go after them again, he would need help. And he still didn't know what their ultimate goals were, of if they worked for someone else as well.

Notice (as needed) 4
Notice die [dice]0[/dice], Wild die [dice]1[/dice]
Strength check 6, Initial Scene, 1 Success
Scene Modifier -2 to total
Strength die [dice]2[/dice], Wild die [dice]3[/dice]
Psionics check 7, Downtime Scene
Downtime Modifier -2 to total
Psionics die [dice]4[/dice], Wild die [dice]5[/dice]
Extra effort [dice]6[/dice]
Grynn
Character Summary
Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling
Special: Cursed with Awesome (You can reroll a 1 on the wild die - unless it is a crit fail. Once per session you can declare an awesome moment and before rolling decide to add your wild die to your trait roll); Fear (in dragon form); Flight 12 (in dragon form); Impervious to Fire; Infravision; Size +6 (in dragon form); Slow Regeneration; Spirit rolls (+2)
Active effects:
Parry: 5 ; Toughness (Dragon form): 34(16); Toughness (Human form): 17(8)
Weapons: Claws/Bite, Fire Breath, Powers, Tail Lash
Edges: AB Magic, AB Psionic, Attractive, Metamorphosis, Power Surge

Charisma: 0 (+2 with Dragons)
Bennies: 3 from Blaze of Glory

ISP: 15/15
PPE: 20/30
Powers: Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Invisibility, Light/Obscure, Slumber, Smite

Wounds:
Fatigue::

Currently playing in: Vampire Kingdoms
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice, armor compensates for -2 lighting penalties, Danger Sense, Exalted Detect Arcana 11 Raise
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 1 Crit Fail
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn sighed as she looked around the emptied arena. What a disaster. She went around to El Paso’s hope, trying to heal any who still lived. Curiously, she tried to pick up the giant’s hammer.
OOC Comments
Mostly just curious, since Jon keeps mentioning the thing! LOL Do I get to turn into Thor Girl?
Hearing the cries of the trapped, Ashlyn hurries up to the fallen section of the stadium. She isn’t a strong person, but she does what she can, casting spells to enhance the strength of the rescuers, and using her own telekinesis to help lift rubble and debris to save the citizens of El Paso.
Mysticism 5 Success
-4 scene modifier
Mysticism [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Ace [dice]7[/dice]
Mystery
I think I need to hear about the status of Wre'tch first before I pick which one I do. If the boy is actually fine (i.e. they didn't lose track of him), then she might look into Raven Squad or the New Alamo situation, if that's one of the mysteries.
Character Tracker
Champion (+2 Damage, +2 Toughness)
Remember Blanca (WC; d8 all attributes, Strength d12+4)
Ashlyn Alvarez Character Sheet
Parry: 8; Toughness: Melee: 18 (9)/Range: 22 (13) + 2 vs supernatural evil
Encumbered: -2 to Str and Agi related rolls
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
Whenever you cast a spell with a Raise, reduce the PPE cost by 1 (min 0)
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
Dodge: -1 to be hit by ranged attacks
Champion: +2 damage and Toughness vs. supernatural evil
Nerves of Steel: Ignore 1 point of Wound penalties
All Thumbs: When roll a 1 on Trait die while using tech, the device breaks.
Brave: +2 Fear tests
PPE: 15/25
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
ISP: 18/25
  • Telekinesis, Mind Reading, Puppet
Shield: 7/10 PPE
  • Deflection
Wand: 7/10 PPE
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Bennies: 0/4
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Ashlyn grew concerned when Wre’tch, the D’Norr boy, didn’t show up to walk Blanca that evening. Or the next. Did that wizard have something to do with the boy’s disappearance?

After walking Blanca herself, Ashlyn settled in the middle of her room and closed her eyes. She focused, reaching out into the heavens, seeking answers. She frowned. The connection was cloudy, barely made. No voices came. She struggled to maintain her communion with the divine. Something was blocking, interfering.

She did get one image, however, right before the connection was broken. The ley line. The arena.

The arena was eerily silent when Ashlyn entered. The leyline provided the only illumination, casting the rest in shadows. Some work had been done to clear the rubble and make repairs, but without King Halloway around to direct things, the work was lackluster. There was no security or anyone to challenge her.

Ashlyn walked up to the ley line, reaching out a hand. She felt the charge of power fill her, gasping slightly. Why was she given this vision?

Movement caught Ashlyn’s attention. A small door by one of the force field generators swung in the wind. She walked over and peered inside. It seemed to lead under the stands. A blue glow, like the ley line, came from around the curve to the left.

Ashlyn crept around and then came to a stop with a gasp, her hand going to her mouth. Wre’tch was crucified out on a table. The boy had been cut open, his organs placed in ritual arrangement, his blood used to draw eldritch symbols in the dirt. Above the symbols floated a rift to a hellish landscape.

Ashlyn heard a flutter above, and looked up, spotting an imp in the rafters. He was munching on a piece of Wre’tch’s spleen.

“Demon!” Ashlyn screamed, firing a bolt of celestial silver at the creature.

The imp yelped as it dodged, the magic just catching its wing, sending it spinning. It turned invisible, and Ashlyn heard it flutter away through the door.

Tears streaking down her face, Ashlyn hurried over to the D’norr boy. He was dead. There was no way she could save him. She saw the eldritch markings carved into his forehead and knew that even his soul was gone, used to open the rift.

“Etatch…” Ashlyn growled fiercely, clenching her fists.

“Yes, where is that wizard?” a voice spoke.

Ashlyn looked up with a start to see an armored figure clawing its way through the rift. The armor looked like combat mage armor, but lacked the fine elegance of the pieces produced in places like Stormspire and Dweomer. It looked more cobbled together, bits and pieces added haphazardly.

“Did you have a hand in this?” Ashlyn demanded of the armored figure.

“The sacrifice was, unfortunately, necessary,” the armored figure said.

Ashlyn gave a cry of rage and grief. She started casting, but the armored figure was quicker. She pulled some kind of wand from her belt. A web of blue, mystical energy shot out, wrapping Ashlyn tightly, sending her toppling and losing the spell.

“As I said, it was necessary.” There was an undertone of resignation to the voice as the armored figure came and stood over Ashlyn. The figure reached up and removed the helmet, shaking out long blonde hair. She was a woman, likely of middle age, but worn and haggard. Three lines of scars raked one side of her face, turning one blue eye white.

The woman took a knee next to Ashlyn as she struggled against the bonds. “Now tell me where I am,” she said.

“Go to hell!” Ashlyn spat.

“I’ve been there,” the woman said. She pulled a wicked-looking black knife from her belt. It wasn’t metal, but looked like black bone, and the edge was serrated. She carefully undid Ashlyn’s armor and pressed the tip to her belly.

Ashlyn hissed. Just the touch of the bone knife seared her skin!

“So you channel holy forces, then,” the woman observed curiously, watching the smoke curl from Ashlyn’s skin where the knife touched her. “Curious what one like you would be doing associating with one such as Etatch. Now I will ask again, where am I?”

“Who are you?” Ashlyn glared.

“My name is Tara,” the woman said simply. “And I am the one asking the questions.” She gave a shove, and Ashlyn screamed as the unholy blade slipped into her gut. “What world is this?”

Ashlyn sobbed in agony as the smell of her burning flesh filled her nostrils. It was like when one touched a cross to a vampire. “Earth!” she sobbed. “This is Earth!”

Tara sighed. “Which Earth?” she asked. “I’ve been to so many.”

Tears flooded Ashlyn’s eyes, pain throbbed in her ears. “I...I don’t know how...to answer that…”

Tara shook her head. She gave the knife a twist, and Ashlyn screamed again.

“I really don’t like doing this,” Tara said. “But I have been trying for a decade to get back to my husband, to my little girl. I won’t let some holy do-gooder stand in my way.”

Ashlyn whimpered. “This...this is El Paso! I don’t...know what more I can...tell you!”

Tara left the knife in Ashlyn’s gut and tapped something on the wrist of her armor. “Sara?”

“Initial scans are inconclusive,” came a disembodied female voice. “More time is needed to determine our exact location in the megaverse.”

Tara sighed. “Well, it’s better than a hell dimension,” she muttered. She looked down at Ashlyn. The woman’s features were pale from blood loss and pain. “Where can I find Count Atrocles?” she asked.

“Who?” Ashlyn whimpered, the knife still burning in her gut.

Tara touched the knife, moving it only slightly, but still sending a searing amount of pain through Ashlyn.

“I don’t...know a Count Atrocles! El Paso...is ruled by Halloway! King Halloway! But he’s missing!”

Tara considered for a moment. “Halloway. Might be a place to start. I find it hard to believe you don’t know Atrocles, though, if you are working with Etatch.”

Ashlyn groaned. “Not working with him! I was...looking for the boy!”

Tara looked up, her face growing sad as she studied the remains of Wre’tch. “I’m sorry for your loss,” she said. “Etach must have needed more power to open the rift for me.” She yanked the knife out of Ashlyn, and the mystic screamed in agony. She used Ashlyn’s hair to wipe it clean before standing and sheathing it. “You will be free soon enough.”

With that, she tucked her helmet under her arm and walked out.

Ashlyn lost consciousness for a moment. When she came around, she was free again. She groaned, calling on her magic to heal her wounds before crawling over to Wre’tch. Sobbing, she gathered the boy in her arms and walked back to the hotel.
Mysticism 1 Critical Fail
-2 scene modifier
Mysticism [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Character Tracker
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Mystery
-2 Modifier
Fighting [dice]0[/dice] = 7
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Use the Benny gained from storytelling for Extra Effort + Elan [dice]2[/dice]
EDIT, to correct the inadvertent awesomeness
EE = [dice]3[/dice]
Ul-Khavan had only grown cannier in the years since Penitent had seen him last, amid the wreckage left after the seige of Crystalclaw. The foul shifter had paid quite the price in that defeat, left in debt to vampiric allies on earth while ultimately failing at the task set by his own demonic master, Krikton.

Investigation had never been Penitent's strong suit, but luckily the Confessor's daughter had several leads. As expected, most turned out to be dead ends -- and those filled with dead bodies, by the time Penitent was through.

"I've seen this kind of symbiote before, on Wormwood. It would have withered and died within a week," he says, holding up the clawed, crystal-like arm Durendel had carved off the cat-woman leading the street gang the two apoks had just decimated. It had been another false lead planted by Ul-Khavan, who had supplied them with weapons and encouraged the feline gang boss -- who had fled, armless and bleeding but promising vengeance -- to take up the name Crystalclaw as a way to draw the apoks away from the real trail.

Still, the two make progress, if only by process of elimination. Near El Paso's arena, a trapdoor beneath a blood-soaked stockyard abattoir leads into a network of tunnels filled with the stench of rotting flesh ... and those who would feed on such things.

"Be wary, there are demons about," the Confessor's daughter says, even as Penitent's own demon mask grows hot, providing its own warning.

Earth demons in human shells -- what the residents of this world call 'vampires' -- are the first foe they encounter, the clash of blades and gnashing teeth echoing through the tunnels as the apoks cut and burn their way to the center of the tangled stone passages. Soon, other demonic foes emerge, horrors drawn from Wormwood, servants of the Unholy who have followed Ul-Khavan to a fresh hunting ground.

With bared blades and hellfire, the apoks kill them all, emerging finally into a chamber abuzz with the blue energy of the nearby ley line.

Beneath the arena, Penitent thinks, as he kicks open the door. Inside, a pink-skinned D'Norr boy is spread open, crucified, on a ritual altar. He's been dead for a day, maybe two, his soul drawn out and consumed to open the dimensional gate that still shimmers darkly in a corner of the room, waiting to be tugged open by anyone -- or anything -- with the power to pass through.

"They have already gone," the Confessor's daughter says, sounding defeated.

"Not all of them," Penitent responds, his fist lashing out to strike the invisible foe he sensed lurking in the shadows by the door.

The robed figure slumps to the floor unconscious, becoming visible as the cloaking spell unravels. It is another D'Norr, an adult, with a familiar look.

"Etatch, the wizard with the familiar," Penitent says, just as Karl, perched on his shoulder, hisses and flies off in pursuit of the D'Norr's imp, which must be lurking somewhere nearby, invisible. "He claimed to be looking for the boy ... but perhaps he was one of Ul-Khavan's allies on this side, who helped to create this gate. As I recall, he was the one who mentioned the gang leader calling herself Crystalclaw, planting the seed of rumors for a darker master. He will tell us all, I am sure, with the proper encouragement ... but we should move away from this ley line before we wake him up."

Leaving the sacrificial chamber behind for others to discover, the pair drag Etatch to the surface, where he is bound and questioned. True to her name, the Confessor manages to elicit full disclosure from the D'Norr, who talks at length about his work as a go-between in the pact between Ul-Khavan and his vampiric allies on Earth. After helping the shifter open the way between Wormwood and Earth, Etatch had sacrificed the boy to keep the portal open, hoping to profit by selling passage to others on both sides of the rift.

In exchange for his confession, Etatch receives a clean death, his body afterwards consumed in holy fire.

"I assume you will try to pick up Ul-Khavan's trail now?" Penitent asks later. "If he manages to draw his master, Krikton, through, the consequences for this world as well as our own will be severe. Who knows what power they could find here."

"I will. You should continue on your own path, here, in pursuit of the vampires. If our suspicions are correct, our paths may converge again, as Ul-Khavan and the earth demons find common cause. If I find anything useful, I will send word."

Penitent nods, hesitating as the subject they both have avoided hangs in the air.

"If my daughter ..." he starts, but she stops him.

"I know your daughter served Ul-Khavan in the past. And I know she is here, on this Earth. But we found no evidence of her presence in the chamber below the arena. We don't know if she is aiding him now, or if she still serves Krikton's cause," the Confessor says.

"If I find that she is, I will send word to you," she says, adjusting her gear as she prepares to leave. "There must be a reckoning. But I will leave hers to you, if I can."
Penitent
Quick Stats
Wormwood Apok
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (1d12), Vigor d10 (1d12) -1 Fatigue
Charisma: -2 (-4); Pace: 8 (d10); Parry: 8 (9); Toughness: 20 (8) or 22 (8) with mask; 32 (18) with greater armor
Hindrances: Heroic, Death Wish, Overconfident, Delusional (Dunscon is the Unholy), Vow (Find daughter)
Edges and Abilities of Note: Improved Level-Headed (draw 3 initiative cards); Immune to Fear, +4 vs. mind control and possession; Notice roll to detect surprise attack or ambush by supernatural/magic foes; Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted; Gain AP 2 with melee attacks for 1 PPE; Champion
Powers (all Mega): armor with shroud trapping (ranged attacks are -1), auto-raise, cast as free action; blast with flammable and hallowed trapping (counts as cold and silver); fear with hallowed trapping (supernatural and magic are -2 to resist); quickness; smite with hallowed trapping (holy and silver), auto-raise, cast as free action.
Adventure Cards:
Active Effects: quickness with a Raise (Gains an extra round of actions, redraws Initiative of 8 or less), greater armor with a Raise (+10 Armor), and fly(at Pace)
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Lucianna spends the first day of the aftermath wandering the streets of El Paso. She talks for a moment with the centaur, Dneal, while admiring some of his animals. "They are lovely creatures, and impressively designed! We have no such things where I am from." She is distracted by talk of the destruction of this "Naruni" shop and the disappearance of its proprietor, Trevor. "I do not understand. What would anyone have to gain by destroying this edifice? Weapons dealers, you say? I have no taste for your technology, truly. Still...I know there was mention elsewhere in town of someone acquiring weapons. Perhaps...Dneal, I thank you for your time, and allowing me to view your beautiful creatures. I bid you good fortune!"

She walks away from the centaur, who barely has time to bid her goodbye. She begins poring through the rubble of the burned out building. To her horror, she finds two bodies, burned beyond recognition. She remarks aloud, to no one in particular. "Who could have done something so terrible?" Another shopkeeper, standing nearby cleaning the entry to his store, answers her. "I saw a man go in. A minute or two later, the whole place went up. He came running out. Nobody else made it. Average sized guy. Covered in tattoos, though. Ran down the street, then ducked down a side street. I've never seen him before."

Perplexed, Lucianna continues to look through the wreckage. Very little of the inventory appears to be destroyed, because very little inventory seems to have been present. For someone who always has something to sell these people, this Trevor did not keep a large stock. This seems a poor exercise in commerce...what is that? Her eye is drawn to one of the walls towards the rear of the store. While burned and partially wrecked, one section remains mostly intact. She notes a faint glow through a crack in the wall. Upon further investigation, she stumbles upon a release that opens a door.

A glowing portal.

Where do you suppose this leads? Without hesitation, she walks through. On the other side, she finds herself...not in El Paso. She's in a warehouse, surrounded by crates, boxes, and racks of a host of high tech weapons, some desks, and three cribs.
Three cribs with babies in them.
She hears voices from the other side of the warehouse. Seeing discretion as the better part of valor, her magic surrounds her, and she disappears from sight. She listens as two men talk, and others patrol the area.

"That undead slayer scrubbed our plans good, yeah, boss?"
A different voice replies. "He did. He didn't appreciate losing his children to us."
The voice continues. "Losing the El Paso branch is temporary. Once he loses interest, we can go and reopen. At least he didn't bring the Apok or the Atlantean with him. What fool tests the Naruni alone?"
The first voice chuckles a bit, and agrees. "Some kinda idiot, yeah, boss?"
"Indeed. Meanwhile, let's focus our efforts here. Gloom is sure to need many weapons for the coming storm." He pauses. "Oh, look. Speaking of weapons. These are reps from the Black Company. Word is, they're quite flush right now. On our best behavior, Molek. Let's treat them right!"
A bell dings in response to the opening of the front door of the shop. Pleasantries are exchanged and negotiations begin. Meanwhile, two guards, dressed in top of the line Naruni gear, are pacing through the warehouse. They look in on the babies, confirm they're still asleep, and continue their rounds.
These men are warmongers. Apok? Atlantean? I know some of those. I cannot imagine the purpose for which these babies have been taken. I shall return with them to El Paso. I am certain I can find... Her internal monologue stops short as a cat comes bounding to the rear of the building. While she is still invisible, she remains unmoving, because she gets a sense... What in the Twelve Storms is a cat doing carrying a pistol? The cat looks around, then grabs a case with the words Red Sun stenciled on the side. He starts to lug it towards the front of the store, then he stops.
And turns around.
And looks right at her.
Surely, he cannot see me? I am magically obscured. The stone around the cat's neck glows slightly. The cat's face breaks into a cheshire grin, and he winks. If she didn't know better, she might think that he was looking right at her and winking. Winking directly at her. But that cannot be. No mortal eyes can see me.
He glances at the cribs, then looks back where she stands, still invisible. He nods his head towards the cribs, then towards the portal.
Lucianna doesn't move.
The cat shakes his head. He then repeats the head nods towards the cribs, then sweeps his head towards the portal.
She begins to move. The cat's gaze, inexplicably, follows her. She picks up the first child. The cat nods and smiles. She picks up the second...and has discovered she only has two hands. Before she can think, the third child begins floating out of the crib and over to her. By some unseen force, the blankets swaddling the child begin wrapping around her invisible form, creating a carrier into which the third baby is placed, gently. She turns just in time to see the cat pawing at the air in a motion that resembles the child's flight from crib to carrier.
The cat winks again, then grabs the case and goes bounding up to the front of the store. She hears a new voice from the front. "Meow look what the cat dragged out of the back. By the way Trevor was it? That is a nice looking baby you got in the back, true atlantean is it? I seems as if they are just born with a tattoo."

This was as curious an event as she has experienced on this world, but she had no time. The guards were making another pass. She rushes to the portal and steps through, finding herself back in El Paso.
Carrying three infant children.
Her invisibility fades, and she says aloud. "Oh...what have I done?"
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Bennies: 2 (+1 quarter bonus, +1 joker, +1 Pender's oops, -4 for rerolling resist slumber. Really. -1 Reroll Spellcasting, -1 reroll spellcasting Kreeghor dramatic task, +1 massive success on task 2, +1 Big Damn Hero, +1 RP and completing the task/saving the world, -1 EE Agility, -1 EE dispel, -1 reroll damage, +2 Jokers)
Active Effects: Greater Boost Trait - Spellcasting (+2 die types, d12+5); Greater Deflection (-6 to hit, additional -1 to hit ranged)
Edges: Improved Rapid Recharge, Expanded Awareness, Elan, Marksman (spellcasting), Slow Regeneration, Expert (spellcasting); all damage dealing spells are MD, all mega-versions are +5 AP
Adventure Cards: Cutting In Line - Draw 3 initiative cards and keep the highest.
Edit Signature
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

Still hopped up on adrenalin, and seeing it almost as more of a contest than a rescue operation at first, Vela leaps to try to hold up the collapsing rubble as well!

Strength: [dice]0[/dice] or [dice]1[/dice]

====

The arena fight ended, and the audience and the fighters went to pick up the pieces and try to get on with their lives. Vela, however, could not.

There had been a moment...an electric moment when she first found that carved wooden totem with the colored feathers and the smear of certain herbs and berries...where the world of spirits seemed so much closer. As if she could see past the veil without even stretching her mind to do it. And in the spirit world the echoes of the Dead roiled still. The People of the Jaguar, befouled and made into the Dead. It wasn't possible. In all the tales, in all the years of her tribe's battles, the curse of Death was always something inflicted on others. The tribes fought them because they took territory, because they despoiled, because their existence was denied them by the holy sun itself.

This was something else entirely. If the Jaguar People could fall to the plague, then they were in terrible danger. The People lived in balance...and balance demanded that predators were few but strong. If they could become Dead, then the Dead could swiftly outnumber them while potentially still matching them in ferocity.

So Vela hunted them. Some of the Dead had fled the arena, and Vela followed as a lithe black cat sniffing and running and sniffing again. Where her nose failed her she peered into the spirit world, searching for that thread of corruption. That spot where the world seemed to recoil from the place a monster had set paw to earth.

She was nearly to the edge of El Paso when she realized she wasn't alone. With jaguar's legs she leapt high, scrambling up onto a building top to lay in wait. The Dead had slaves, she knew. Mortals who's will had been taken, who would fight and even die for them.

But when Vela pounced from above, it was a familiar face she saw stopping short and drawing her weapon.

Kryseia!

The tattooed woman smiled that smile that had the ghost of a smirk lurking at its edges and said, "I see I'm not the only one thinking more than a move in advance. Well done."

Vela resumed her human mask and frowned. "A move..."

"Yes, like in...chess? Checkers?" Something in the werejaguar's puzzled expression convinced the Atlantean to let that drop. "It was a compliment. You're after those vampires?"

Vela nodded cautiously. She hadn't really spoken much with the tattooed ones. There were tales, mostly among the humans in the territory, of men and women bearing marks like that but Vela hadn't paid much attention to stories that weren't about her own people, or things she could hunt. Informing an outsider of her worries about her people seemed...unwise.

One thing they could agree on though. "They must all die. And we must find out how they were...made."

Kryseia lifted her eyebrows a little. "The usual way, I expect."

"No!" Vela shook her head firmly. "The bite of the Dead does not do that to us. The People, the Jaguar People...we die, but cannot become Dead."

"I'd say recent events call that into question."

"Yes. I must find out how. It must end here."

Kryseia considered then gave a nod. "Very well. Together then. We'll cover more ground. Do try to keep up though?"

Her tone was light and teasing, but Vela set her mouth in a scowl and immediately shifted to a jaguar to bound off down the street. She took these things seriously it seemed!

El Paso melted away, and the pace of the vampire-cats seemed to increase as they must have been racing the dawn. Even so they took advantage of rocky areas and other natural barriers to try to obscure their tracks. The Atlantean called a flock of angelic beings on wings of flame to search by air above them. Their scent and supernatural trail kept Vela on the track though, until Kryseia felt them at the edge of her own senses. The sour 'taste' of undeath like a black haze at the edge of her vision.

It was out of town some distance, where the land was rearing up into rockier hills and great sedimentary plates jutting up at angles from the earth, that the angels found the cave. Worn into the rock by seasonal torrents but dry in the summer months, it would be a safe place for the werecats at this time of year.

Kryseia renewed her summoning, and Vela took her natural form on, the 'true' werejaguar form...and they dashed into the caverns!

The undead jaguar-people were ready for them...and the battle was joined! Vela pounced and tore into one, igniting it with her sword of flames when it fell so it would die the final time. Meanwhile Kryseia formed up with her angelic legions and drove into the main group of the vampiric creatures, who scattered before the holy weapons of the host! Perhaps if it had still been night when they'd found them, the battle would have been longer. As it was though, the vampires were hurting for lack of sleep, fighting their own desire to hibernate during the day. When the central pack broke, they tried to escape again, and were hunted through the caverns until all the tunnels converged on a central chamber.

There was where they found a huge circle drawn in blood, accented with powders and dyes, with candles at each vertice of a many-cornered diagram within it. Cornered, the undead mounted a last stand, and fell to spell, to angelic fury and claw and fire.

Vela then paced over the diagram and shifted back to human, spattered with inhuman blood. She looked at Kryseia.

"The Dead cannot use magic. What is this?"
Last edited by Vela on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Fizzwaite Zipwidget »

Knowledge(Engineering) 4, Success
Engineering [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
-4 Scene Modifier

-1 bennie for extra effort [dice]2[/dice]
Fizzwaite trails along with the others as they go to assist the spectators trapped underneath the fallen rubble. Knowing his limitations he confines himself to analyzing the pattern of ruble and advising the others as to which boulders to shift first to avoid collapsing the rest down on the spectators' heads. Without access to instrumentations he did not have time to get, his estimations are crude and there are a few close calls but in the end it looks like everyone is going to be ok.

Once it is clear that the crisis has been averted Fizzwaite heads back to his hotel for some much needed R&R. He knew he was tired but also he knew he wasn't going to get any sleep until he had a chance to unwind. He grinned as he remembered there was a drone laying all over his table that needed to be put back together. Sounds like a good way to relax if you ask me and I do. He grinned at the thought. Better than a jigsaw or a crossword puzzle! Also there was his new computer that he wanted to convert into a techno-wizard device. It was perfectly fine as it was but everything gets better when you put a little magic into it. Whistling a tune he jammed his hands in his pockets and sauntered back to his room.

Later....

Fizzwaite was just soldering the last connection back into place and had started the boot up sequence when a knock nearly made him jump out of his skin. "Why the hell does someone have to be knocking on my door like that?" he muttered to himself. Opening the door he saw it was the elf coming to collect his drone. "Oh, it's you. C'mon in." Fizzwaite started to fill him in on the results of his investigation into the drone's design and programming. Looking up he notices that Ndreare is on another planet and not paying him a bit of attention which earns him a swift kick in the shin!

Startled, Ndreare says, “I’m sorry, could you repeat that last bit?”

Muttering under his breath Fizzwaite starts over with his spiel about the drone's apparent mission and operational parameters including the fact that evidently someone decided it would be funny to give it the personality of a whiney know it all. Once he was done he went to the door leading to his bedroom and waved the now functional drone forward. Once he was satisfied the drone had imprinted on Ndreare and that the elf was comfortable with the drone's operating parameters he shoo'ed the pair of them out the door saying in an exasperated voice, "Ok, now that you two are friends you both can mosey on out of here and go have a drink or something. I have better things to do than watch you have a conversation with your giant talking egg."

Alone once more Fizzwaite proceed to order up a meal and a couple of beers from room service while he took a shower. Once those needs were met he shambled to his bed for some long overdue shuteye. Whatever other mysteries awaited they could await one more day....
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Spellcasting [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice] -2 = 4

Krysesia and Serenia had spend their time tending to those pulled from the wreckage, aiding the people their friends extract. Krysesia summons some elementals to help clear the wreckage once the people are safe. In the days that follow, she makes her way to a few places in town. When the centaur, Dneal, makes his comment about Trevor, Krys freezes. 'No wonder he blew off the contest. I would too for that.' A moment later, her controlled and placid expression returns. "Yes too bad indeed."

Following the trip to the Centaurs, she ends up at the stables of a man named Prather. Serenia is elsewhere. The elderly human is kindly and greets her with a strong, though smooth voice. "Welcome to Dreamtime Stables. Are you in the market for a mount?"

She nods to the man. "Yes I am, can you show me your charges?"

He smiles, "Interesting way of putting it. At least you didn't say beasts. I didn't want to have to send you over to that blasted centaur. Can't be helped, I don't cater to the heartless crowd." He gives a rueful smile. "I do place my friends for adoption, so they can find new forever homes, but I never pair a mount with someone incompatible with them." He glares at her, his eyes darting up to her forehead tattoo. "Oh I should have guessed by your bearing. You're part of that crew supposedly from El Paso, aren't you?"

She nods, bemused.

"Well a horse wouldn't do for you, and while I have that robot horse, it's too dull for someone like you. Let's see whether either of the griffins like you. You may be too much even for them. Or vice versa." He leads her up some stairs to an open air pen, and two sheds up there, acting as a roost for a pair of Griffins. He walks over and opens up the gate, and is nearly bowled over as the griffins spring out, and then move back to nuzzle him. They they interpose themselves between the old man and Krys. The larger of the two, a male by the looks of him, eyes her defiantly. Without warning, Krysesia kneels, her head held high staring him right back. The griffin screeches at her in full display, but she never says anything, nor breaks her gaze from him. The old man comes up behind him and scratches its neck affectionately. "She has you matched boyo, might as well give that up!" He laughs. "You had griffins before?"

She smiles. "No, but the ones imbued as tattoos are very lifelike, and my father had two of those tattoos. He'd let me ride one. I've always loved them. I never thought of actually getting a real one, however." She looks at the male and the female both and asks, "May I approach." The male snorts, but cocks his neck so he can be petted, and the female doesn't look ready to bolt at least. After receiving his due and sniffing her, the male steps back and nudges the female towards Krysesia. When their eyes meet, Krysesia knows immediately she has found her mount. Perhaps more impressively, the feeling is obviously reflected by the griffin. She steps forward and rubs her head against Krysesia, marking and claiming her in the same movement that draws attentive motions from the True Atlantean.

As she pets her, Krys looks to the old man. "How much is the adoption fee?"

"Seventy-five thousand," he adds without so much as missing a beat or dropping his smile.

Krys isn't entirely surprised. "Done. Who do you recommend for armor, saddle, and care gear?"

He smiles. "Believe it or not, I have armor, reins, and such for this lady from when she came into my care. I even have an enchanted saddle that matches. Add another sixty-five thousand and we'll call it done. I'll even clean it all and show you how to clean this lady."

Two hours later, she walks out with a whistle hanging between her breasts, for calling the griffin called Princesa. Ironically, her gear was all purple highlighted black leather, with composite ceramic plates inserted into special made pockets in the barding. The saddles was a technowizard creation for less skilled riders that was also quite comfortable. She meets back up with Serenia, and the three of them go flying and spend the rest of the day flying and finding stabling for her.

The next few days are spent tracking down the vampires that used to be in town. So it is that she comes across Vela and the two begin their hunt. Battlecries, roars, claws, blades, staff, and holy light fill the cavern as the vampires turn to ashes in the wind of flapped wings. At the end of the fight she sees the mystic circle in the dirt and her mind instantly decodes it.

Vela turns to Krys and demands, "The Dead cannot use magic. What is this?"

"Actually they can, if they were magic users in life. The skill is ingrained in the very being of the host, and when the demon takes over, it can take on that skill, though it usually gets changed more to match the blood and earth outlook of the demon inside. But this is not the instinctive work of a magic user turned vampire. This was done by a very lucid secondary vampire, a master, or more likely, a living dupe. Care to see where it goes?" She turns to the angelic host that are soon to depart for home. "Once we are through, destroy this completely and ensure any other vampiric bodies are destroyed completely as well. Then you are released from our service. Thank you for serving the terms of our agreement so thoroughly. I'll tell your leadership of your deeds." She shakes hands with each of them, whistles to bring Princesa to her, and then opens the portal. The four of them step through and find themselves in a blood soaked room. There is no sign of anyone. Seeing the rift they stepped through is still partially open and recently used, Krys first tries to get a read of where else it leads and then closes it. She then destroys the matching teleportation circle to the one she just destroyed. She then refills her PPE from the ley line, and they all four climb the stairs out and find themselves in the arena. They exit and there find Ashlyn stumbling along. "Lady Magdeline!" cries Serenia. And she rushes to heal her further. Further along, they stumble upon another friend, this time with three children.
Close the Rift Spellcasting 5
Spellcasting [dice]2[/dice], [dice]3[/dice]
Krysesia of Clan Skellian, True Atlantean Shifter
Quick Stats
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 21(10) in armor; Strain: 0
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Bennies, Wounds, and Power Points: Tracked Here
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

The next morning Fizzwaite organized his tools and supplies on the makeshift worktable he had set up in his room. Gently he set the field computer he had recently purchased in the on the table in the area he had cleared for it. He looked forward to beginning the process to convert it into his very own techno-wizard arcane computing device. Back home he had assisted with several such projects but this would be his first attempt on his own. First things first Fizzwaite thought to himself as he pulled the power supply and examined carefully. Putting it aside he looked over his assembled parts and began to construct a new power source for the computer...
Build Roll: Device Conversion(Techno-Wizardry) 8, Raise. Add one minor upgrade (Trapping: Arcane Holographic Control Suite). Time: 24 hours
Techno-Wizardry Build Roll[dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

+2 from Machine Maestro

Time for conversion [dice]2[/dice] hours

Trapping added from raise: Arcane Holographic Control Suite. This system allows the user to operate the computer using a holographic interface only the user can see using a set of glasses that wireless integrate with the device. Putting the glasses on and activating them still require an action and the user must remain within about 5" of the computer to remain connected (call it bluetooth range for a small device.)
Twenty-four hours later Fizzwaite paused for a moment and yawned mightily before making the final solder on his newly converted TW computer. He grinned tiredly as he surveyed the completed task. Things had gone very well, better than expected even. Not only had he successfully converted the computer to run on arcane energies he also successfully installed a arcane holographic control system of his own design which would make it a lot easier to capitalize on the enhancements he hoped to install into the device later. Even now, however, he could operate the device hands free through the holographic interface. He couldn't leave it on all the time unfortunately as it was much too distracting. He'd end up walking into a wall or falling in a hole or something. It won't be much use in a fight but it will come in real handy when I have to do repair work or future device conversions and upgrades he though happily. But first it's time for some shuteye. With another huge yawn Fizzwaite staggered to his bed and was asleep almost before his head hit the pillow.

It was sometime in the mid afternoon when Sparky awoke and looked blearly out the window hmmm, still daylight or daylight again? he wondered. Not that it mattered much they weren't due back in the arena for a couple weeks so he had plenty of time to work. Sliding out of bed he shambled into the bathroom and got a shower. Twenty minutes of hot water later and he emerged clean, well groomed and feeling like a new gnome. He gurgling stomach reminded him that he had not eaten anything in more than 24 hours. Glancing at his project sitting on the table Fizzwaite resisted the urge to dive right back into work. Plenty of time, I can finish it up this evening. The next part shouldn't take nearly so long, I hope.

Heading out into town he found a suitable looking restaurant and gave his stomach the attention it demanded. The sun was beginning to set when Fizzwaite finally patted his belly and surveyed the wreckage of plates, bowls and cups that littered the table. Signalling the waiter he settled his tab including a generous tip. "My compliments to the chef, my good man, it was excellent!" Briefly Fizzwaite considered trying to find the others but he could feel his project beckon him from his hotel room. "Getting into trouble no doubt." he muttered to himself as he made his way back to the hotel. "If they think I got nothing better to do but get them out of every scrape they get themselves into they have another thing coming. Hrummpf!"

Before long he was back at the hotel with nary a one of his companions to be seen Fizzwaite climbed the stairs and returned to his room eager to begin the next phase of his task. With the holographic control suite already complete the next thing he wanted to do was add a module to construct and manipulate schematics of equipment that he was working on. That would make repair work faster and more efficient. Selecting a lovely clear quartz and some copper wire Fizzwaite started construction on the next module for his computer....
Build Roll: Minor Upgrade(Techno-Wizardry) 7, Success. Minor Upgrade: +1 to Repair. Time: 8 hours.
Techno-Wizardry Build Roll [dice]3[/dice]
Wild [dice]4[/dice]

+2 from Machine Maestro
-2 from Minor Upgrade

Time for upgrade [dice]5[/dice] hours.
By the time Fizzwaite had finished his latest upgrade it was several hours past midnight and he yawned in tired satisfaction at a job well done. The new module would let him scan and build schematics of equipment that would aid him when doing repair work. He spent some time sketching out some additional upgrades he had in mind but knew he was not quite ready to do the more advanced upgrades he wanted to do. For now, however he was pretty happy with what he had done.
Build Roll: Minor Upgrade(Techno-Wizardry) 7, Success. Minor Upgrade: +1 to shooting. Time: 6 hours.
Techno-Wizardry Build Roll [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]7[/dice]

+2 from Machine Maestro
-2 from Minor Upgrade

Time for upgrade [dice]8[/dice] hours.
The next morning Fizzwaite got up eager to finish his last project. Placing his trusty TK revolver on the table he pulled the handle apart and added a micro-gyro and circuitry that should improve his aim and accuracy.
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Mystery. Techno-Wizard Roll 23, Success.
Techno-Wizard [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Wild Ace [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Ace II [dice]3[/dice]
Wild Ace III [dice]4[/dice]

+2 for Machine Maestro
-2 for scene penalty
Following a well deserved good night's sleep Fizzwaite gets up the next morning at a loss as to what to do with his time. There was at least 10 days or so until the next part of the tournament started and he hadn't seen the others since he had delivered Ndreare's drone back to him. Oh, well, he thought to himself, maybe I can go down to the arena and see if that guy Rex has a practice range down there I can use. I really want to make sure the upgrade I did is going to work properly.

Heading down to the arena Fizzwaite was surprised to see the place closed up. At this time in the afternoon Fizzwaite thought the place should be open for business. It didn't take long for Fizz to make some inquiries and find out that Rex had disappeared after disaster at the arena after round one of the tournament. It was a lot easier getting information than it might normally be but when you are part of the group that won said fight and then saved the crowd to boot it opens a lot of doors. Taking out his Ocular Occult Observation (and Obfuscation) Optimizer Fizzwaite quickly scanned the exterior of the bar and noticed the faint outline of a mystically hidden door at the rear of the bar proper.

For a moment Fizzwaite debated going to look for reinforcements but he was a gnome after all and what gnome could resist a mystery? His read on the door was exceptionally good and it did not take long to puzzle out the opening mechanism and a few moments later he slipped inside and closed the door behind him. The passage was dark but not so dark for his Gnomish eyes and Fizzwaite pulled out his Fantastic Fire Hose just in case he needed it. As far as he could tell the passage appeared to travel around the perimeter of the bar's main room. Presently, Fizzwaite came on a door that seemed perfectly normal from this side. A quick check with the Optimizer showed no obvious signs of enchantment and Fizz gently eased the door open and found himself looking in on an empty office. Jackpot!

Moving cautiously into the room Fizzwaite scanned for any signs of magic and while there were significant traces there were no traps that he could detect. This guy Rex sure seems to take his security pretty lightly Fizz thought with a frown as he moved around the room. On the other hand it does look like there were another of protective devices here that look like they were burnt out or disabled in some way. A lot of it seems geared towards protection from Vampires which I suppose shouldn't be surprising. Using blood suckers as part of his show seems amazingly stupid to me. Especially those were vamp crossbreeds or whatever they were. Those were just wrong. Where the hell did he get those things anyway?

Satisfied nothing was going to shoot him, fry him or dissolve him Fizzwaite set to examining the office for clues as to where Rex may have disappeared to or any information on the specific location of the Ranger's compound. Unfortunately Rex didn't seem the type to write things down where an enterprising gnome could find them. The office was annoyingly clean and tidy and there did not appear to be any paperwork in or on his desk that pointed to where ol' Rex might have gone. Fortunately the same could not be said for Rex's computer. It didn't take long to gain access seriously who STILL uses password as their password and Fizzwaite's eyes widened as he read through the documents he found. "Woah! I'd heard stories about Reid doing experiments on vamps but if this was true the stuff that this guy Planktal-Nakton was doing was totally borked! It goes a long way towards explaining where those vamp kitties camp from. Only a truly badass necromancer would have the juice and be twisted enough to even try it."

Realizing he was talking to an empty office Fizz shook himself and started downloading all the files he had found on Rex's computers about his dealings with Planktal-Nakton. It didn't look like Reid was in on the deal or at least nothing in the files indicated that he was involved. Fizzwaite was about to shut the computer down when he noticed a file that turned out to be a full schematic of the Pit and Bull including the Arena. "Hmm, it looks like there are some sub basement levels under the arena itself. I wonder what's down there? Only one way to find out!" Downloading the schematics as well Fizz closed things down and tidied up to erase any sign that he had been there. Heading back into the secret passageway Fizzwaite continued in the direction he had been going previously. If the schematics were correct there should be an elevator leading to the lower levels at the end of the corridor. Sure enough, there it was and after a quick scan for alarms Fizzwaite pressed the button and with his Fantastic Fire Hose at the ready waited for the elevator to arrive.

Fizz let out an explosive breath that he hadn't realized he was holding when the doors opened onto an empty elevator. Stepping into the elevator he looked at the panel and pressed the button for the lowest level. Good thing I'm going down. Lots easier to reach that button. he thought with a grin. It was a grin that faded, however, has the doors closed and the car began its downward decent. Gripping his Fantastic Fire Hose Fizz waited grimmly for the elevator to arrive at its destination. Once again the result was anti-climatic as the doors hissed open to another empty corridor. Stopping from time to time to consult his purloined schematic Fizzwaite decided to make for the central complex that appeared to be located right underneath the combat area of the arena. It probably took no more than 20 minutes to make his way to the central complex though to Fizz it seemed like it was an eternity. He didn't understand why he had not seen anyone this entire time not that he was going to complain.

Finally he was at the last turn before entering the complex. Using the Ocular Optimiser he took a look to ensure nothing was hiding in plain sight. Taking a firm grip on his Fire Hose Fizz took a deep breath and slipped deeper into the complex. As he crept forward Fizz realized that for the first time he could hear what sounded like a human voice coming from the gloom up ahead. Wow, someone must really be making a racket or they must be a lot closer than it seems if my crappy ears can hear them. After a few minutes it seemed to Fizz that it must the the former rather than the latter as he still had not come across the source of the noises. Following the sounds wasn't easy with all the crisscrossing corridors bouncing the sound around but eventually Fizz was rewarded with a faint glow to his front to go along with the sounds.

Making himself as small as possible Fizz peered into the dimly lit room and found he had indeed discovered the source of the noise. The room appeared to be some sort of medical treatment room or something along those lines with an examination table set up in the center. On that table was none other than Rex himself strapped to it spread eagled with a gag of some kind wedged in his mouth. It made the volume of noise he was producing all that more impressive. The reason for that noise was also readily apparent. Surrounding Rex were four men that Fizz highly suspected were all members of the undead in good standing. Or would that be evil standing? One of the creatures dug a finger into Rex's bare shoulder (Fizz suddenly realized that Rex was kinda naked there on that table) eliciting another muffled scream from Rex. "You will tell me, human, how you created these were-creature abominations. The master is most displeased to find its essence befouled with such lowly creatures. Tell me what you know and I promise to make your end quick."

Fizzwaite wrinkled his nose in distaste as the odor of urine reached him. He could see the liquid dripping from the edge of the table onto the tiled floor. Sobbing, Rex screamed something at his captors that Fizz could not quite make out. "You would have me believe that Doc Reid and his band of fools are actually creating these creatures and shipping them to you for sport? Do you take me for some kind of simpleton? I will flay the meat from your bones if necessary but you WILL tell me the truth!" At that Rex surged against his bonds, screaming, desperate to escape his fate. From the shadows Fizzwaite made his decision and announced his presence with a deluge of water from his Fantastic Fire Hose, catching all four vampires (and Rex) in the blast. It was their turn to scream as the torrent of water both hurled their bodies into the far wall where they exploded like water balloons filled with raw sewage. Fizz steped into the room keeping the blast centered on the four undead until he was satisfied they were destroyed.

"Stop! Or I'll shoot!" Fizzwaite yelled. "Wait, was I supposed to say that first? Oh well." Grinning he turned his attention back to Rex still strapped to the table. The occasional groan told him that Rex was still among the living if not entirely conscious. Finding a stool he climbed up to where he could reach Rex's head and slapped him a couple times to make sure he was coherent. When Rex realized that the vampires were gone and he was rescued he started rattling his restraints and yelling at Fizz through his gag. "Well, Rex ol' boy it looks like you got yourself into quite the pickle. Didn't anyone ever tell you screwing around with vampires for fun and profit is a horrible idea? You may as well save your breath because I have no idea what you are trying to say" Reaching up Fizz pulled the gag from Rex's mouth and hopping back down freed one his arms and one of his legs before stepping back. "I'm sure you can handle it from here, Rexxy." Fizzwaite told him as he discreetly pulled his TK Revolver. This wasn't the field test I was hoping for but needs must when the devil drives. Fizz thought to himself as he watched Rex finish extricate himself from captivity.

"You're one of those New Del Rio folks aren't you?" he said as he swung his legs down off the table. "And you are the moron that's been trafficking in vampire mutant experiments. Now that the introductions are out of the way let me tell you how you are going to thank me for my heroism." Rex tried for indignation but when you are naked, bloody and sopping wet it's a hard look to pull off. "What? I don't know what you are talking about! Do you know who I am? I'll have you and your friend thrown in prison so fast your head will spin!"

Rex spluttered to a stop and his eyes widened as Fizz moved his revolver from behind his back and pointed it casually in Rex's direction. "I'm no marksman but I'm pretty sure I can put plenty of holes in you from this distance so do me a favor and shut it. The fact is you left way too much evidence of what you were up to on your computer. You security sucks by the way. I don't think that King Holloway is going to be pleased with you if he were to find out what you and this Planktal-Nakton character have been up to. If anyone gets tossed in jail I doubt very much it will be me or my friends and that assumes this Planktal-Nakton guy just doesn't off you himself to tie up loose ends." Waving his pistol Fizzwaite motions for Rex to get up off the table. "You have some clothes around here? I do not want to look at naked human butt all the way back to your office. No."

Moving to cabinet in one wall Rex opens it and slowly get dressed in what must have been the clothes he had been brought down in. Once Rex was suitably attired Fizz motioned for him to proceed him back down the corridor that he had originally arrived from. "Here's what is going to happen Rex, my boy. The Heroes of New Del Rio are going to win your little tournament hands down. No one else is going to get killed in your little freak show and I mean NO ONE. You put us in touch with the Rangers and you destroy any and all of these were vamps you may still have. If I so much as get a whiff that you are still messing with those things and I will put the documentation I have into every public media outlet between here and Chi-Town. If Holloway doesn't throw you in prison I'm sure Doc Reid will kill you just to clear his reputation."

By this time they had reached the elevator and Fizzwaite made sure to handle the controls himself, not trusting Rex any farther than he could throw him. Fizzwaite directed Rex back down the passageway, bypassing his office and heading instead for the hidden door to the outside. Once there Fizz turned to Rex saying, "ok, Rex, what is it going to be? Hmm? If I haven't scared you enough let me sweeten the pot by reminding you that I know one of these were-jaguars that you've been helping to turn into fang bangers. She would also be very upset with you if she were to find out your role in all of this. I suspect she would be fine with skipping the part where she gets to the truth and just flay the meat from your bones."

Rex's shoulders sag as the final threat sinks in. "Fine, you have a deal. Your team wins and no one dies. The remaining were-vampires have all been destroyed anyway. Just don't tell her that I was involved! Please!"

"See how easy it is when rational people can work out their differences? Glad to do business with you, Rex. Oh and don't screw with me Rex or you will regret it. I will have this stuff on a dead man switch so you better make sure I don't end up in a position where I can't keep the news from being delivered. See you around Rexxy." With that Fizz pushes the door open and slips back outside letting the door close behind him.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

So the two weeks end... Any items purchased have been delivered by an unseen mysterious courier...

Here is a bit of what else happens to each of you during your investigations...
Ashlyn
Just before or while you are unconscious several individuals engage Tara. Most of it is hazy, but you recall a dark purple blast that would have hit you had not a Soft furry feline stole you away. In an unconscious fog it would appear an alley cat may have rescued you, but strangely after whatever battle occurred against Tara, the Cat meowed in a decidedly female voice and deposited you back for the rest of your unconscious bout. But your wounds were well bandaged when you wake. In your mind you hear a purring female voice, " Rest mystic, you will need to confront the forces of darkness you unleashed."
Fizz
Over Fizz's communicator he hears a faint buzzing sound. After a few minor tweaks he hears a voice, Sprockmore.
"Ksshhh, is this on Cogson? Yeah good... Hey Fizz! I hope this is you, we wish we could swing by and say hi but the ever present Lord C---" A muffled hrumphh, " Ok.. Ok Cogson I get the point. Oh yeah sorry, got to keep the details to a minimum. Anyway some joker opened a rift in the arena and someone or something came through... Dammit Cogson, what is that shifter doing? Angel stop... Fracks sake Fizz, I wish someone more competent was here with me while we try to track this thing down... A cat?" You can hear some muffled cries, " Cogson what is the cat pointing at? What the frack is that!!!" Several loud cries and then static...
Suddenly Cogson's whispering voice comes on the line. He sounds frightened, " Fizz... you there? You got to stop by Garnet town... There is a big mirror..." More cries and then the line goes dead.
Vela
Outside the city she comes across perhaps the few wild vampires left in the area. They are all unconscious with silver rail rounds driven deep into their bodies preventing them from waking. They are all near a river and easy enough to roll into the soft flowing water. Along the banks of the river is a familiar face and one never seen. The greenwood elderly man Vella had once seen seems to be barely breathing, green blood splattered all around him. By his raspy breath Vella can smell the aura of death that threatens to kill him. A 3 legged cat is near him trying her best to bandage his wounds. The greenwood man recognizes her and smiles, " My... Jaguar friend. I remember you playing... In the waters I tend. Akkk...". His breathing is labored and each word is a heavy burden for him to say. But Vella senses he is saying something important." I followed the plagued ones by the thousands but they went underground there..." He points to a cave nearby, but it seems unlikely anyone could follow as the cave entrance has had a recent cave in. The cat meows finishing her attempt to heal him, " Sorry old fella, I used up most of my bandages earlier. " She looks at Vella with a knowing look of he only has seconds, " Meow, those damn Raven coalition soldiers sped off shooting everything that moved. From the looks of them they had someone gagged in the back of their ATV... Careless frackers shot this old woodland man up pretty good..." The cat bends down scooping some floating crystalline Folsom out of the water. " Its a shame to leave him here, he helped me out with these crystals. My claw was severed by... Well you would not believe who."
The River Shepard cries out one last time reaching out for Vella. He whispers one word, " Choc!" Vella thinks she hears a thunder clap far in the distance a bright light fills the night sky coming from where the town of New Del Rio might be. The Shepard disappears dissolving into the water, and Vella's cloak clasp the dried skin of the snake reforms into a slithering reptile.
The three legged cat nods and bounds a way.
Luc
When you return through the portal back in the night air of El Paso for a second you think Sammy has come with you as anther cat greets you with a smile and a wink. Although this one is missing an arm. A cloaked man with many tattoos is sitting next to the cat along with a fellow spirit of Magic. The tattooed man in a determined voice tells the female cat, " I don't care if your cover was blown. You must go back, we are close very close. We require you to sacrifice. A day or two more and we will get you out. We must find where they are taking the package."The three clam up as You approach. The man bows and pulls back his hood, his gleaming eyes seem to see right into your heart. You do notice a darkening of his flesh on his shoulder, like something is blackening his skin. The man seems to have many tattoos one of which catches your eye, a double pair of griffons. He seems to be staring intently at the babies you are holding. "I am Sebazio, those babies are my kin. Well as close to it as possible. I can feel the Atlantean blood that courses through their veins. It must be a happy occurrence we meet like this." The Archon bows and grasps your hand. For a moment your available ppe doubles as if on a leyline. Through some kind of transference you get the feeling the Archon is immensly pround of you and that this man can be trusted. It disapears and the one armed cat is gone too. The man calling himself Sebazio waves you over, and coming from nearby through the rubble is that regal and noble cyberknight. It seems you have returned to El Paso and found allies.
Ndeare
Rhodney brings a severed hand to Ndreare, " This is not Yodhe, but it was dragged into your room at the Traveler. I have been analyzing it for several days now." . Upon a murderous look from Ndeare the drone continues, " I beleive it comes from a lesser race within the kreghor empire esoterically known as the Dood. Little is known about the race, other than they have a fondness for misplaced anceint land vehicles, and are completely illiterate. Given the state of your room I would have to theorize that their extremities seem to function even after death" The droid floats back to the room leaving the hand with Ndreare whom gets a beep on his wrist communicator, Please ask the bar keep to refrain from allowing three legged cats to drag alien extremities into your room. I will not be cleaning the mess the hand has made. I did see something on the wrist some kind of moon sliver symbol... Try not to get killed while I am in a regeneration cycle.
Pen
The confessor parts ways and karl looks at Penitent blinking... Karl growls, " That cat you let go. She is...in my head." Karl laughs a cruel screech. " Oh this is rich... The oned armed cat wants you to kill her!" Later you find the cat known as crystal claw hanging out in Grynns room. The door is slightly ajar and she seems to be pacing and more than pensive. She has a cut along her back oozing blood. She is muttering to herself," A game? A game? The tattooed fracker and crazy knight were looking for a game? I got to disappear." She smiles at Penitent a bit sheepishly, " I heard you are the man to give a confession too. I am in a bit over my head, someone has pulled the moon silvers towards an extra-demonential bent. I don't do demons. I did my part, but it is time for me to disappear." She tosses Penitent a data stick with the CS logo on it. " Some folks will be here for this, if we hurry they will find my dead body and you can keep the info... Hazard of wronging a dragon you know?" The cat rubs her stump and crawls onto the bed waiting for Penitent to go to work. She draws a line from her throat to navel with her finger. " Hey no hard feelings about before right? Those tight lipped frackers only tell us the bare minimum." The cat seductivly purrs and winks at Penitent. " I don't just lie down for anyone. get to work huh? Maybe make me into a crescent moon?"
Karl plops down beside her startling her by scratching her face. Then Karl seems to give her a hug only furthering her look of surprise. When Karl releases her, she is filleted from throat to navel the look of surprise or terror frozen on her face. The way her blood pools gives the entire body a look of a crescent moon. Karl wipes off his bloody hands and looks at Penitent to see if he did a good job, he blinks twice looking up at the Apok, " We heard her confession and applied the appropriate penance, right daddy?"
Grynn
Later you find a one armed cat sprawled on your bed, splayed open in the shape of a crescent moon. Blood just everywhere. A note signed MSML will find you is left half haphazardly on the bed soaked in blood. The look on what is left on the cats face is one of terror or possibly surprise, its often hard to tell with lesser races. Then perhaps the strangest thing happens. The cats body reconstitutes before your very eyes. Seriously, you have only heard of one such being being able to do this feat... And then even that tale is only told in hushed corners of the mega verse. The blood slurps back into the body and the bones and skin stitch themselves back together. Within moments the one armed cat known as Crystalclaw is back! She opens her eyes wide with fright recognizing Grynn, " Meow, before you eat me, I need to say sorry! I did not know you are the dragon." She shakes her head, " I am down to my last life. I don't remember much after I attacked you, and again I am so sorry. My cousin Sammy, can remember after loosing his life, but I never developed that talent. I swear I am getting out of that business and when and if you are ready for some payback on those ass holes count me in. I'll tell you what I know!" She gets up wobbly, " The Silvers got a base down south of here tucked in the first passage of the mountain range. In the wait for it... Crystal caverns." She rolls her eyes at the unoriginal name. If she is not eaten she gestures under the bed at a small well hidden case, " Well, something to remember me by big red." She walks out on her three legs.
Krys
Upon returning to your room you see an enchanted chess board. Well worn, and yet as if brand new. Silver and gold dragons adorn one side and black shapeless masses of shadows of various sizes are on the other side. Krys can tell that this board transcends dimensions and someone on the other side is waitin to play. A small note seems to be scratched by a sharp nail out on a peice of soft wood. It seems as if it was hastily made. A few flecks of blood seem to be on the hardy note. Duriel

Savage chess: each player makes an oppose smarts roll with the first player rolling first. Each score 4 or above deals 1 wound, the 4th wound dealt is check mate. Wound modifiers are assessed at the end of each round after both players make their rolls.
You can modify your smarts roll using the following:
  • Sacrifice: take 1 wound for a +4 roll to your smarts.
  • Counter: increase smarts die by 1 die type(can only be used if going second), take a -2 to your next action after the counter.
  • Fibonacci Maneuver: take 1 wound and increase smarts Die by 1 and decrease opposing smarts die by by 1.
  • See the board: make your smarts roll at -2 but recover 1 wound if you tie or beat the opposing roll.
  • Castling: can only be used once during the game but you go first next round.
  • Check: can only be used when your oppenent has 3 wounds, take a wound and add 1d10 to your smarts roll.
  • Escape: can only be played if someone uses check, heal 1 wound if you beat the checking smarts score. This can be combined with any other obove maneuver except check.

Allies at last!
The group heads to the Traveler Inn and are as always well regarded by the patrons as true heroes. Outside parked in front is Fizz's sparkling Zone Ranger, a pair of neighborhood kids have taken to giving the vehicle a daily wash and shine. Normally there is no need to buy food or drink as Ignis and his giant blue friend have taken to taking care of the groups daily tab. The heroes of new Del rio even have a table, the best one in the house up stairs that over looks the main dining hall. A friendly server Dialah, Altara by the looks of her keeps the group happy with food, drink, and lively conversation. One conversation in particular being told by the local bard, a female of Minotaur decent, seems to have several patrons enthralled, " There was a man, a dark and brooding man. They say he wandered very far, very far indeed. He sat a while, on a hillside not far from here. There he drank a fool and king. For a while he lay just outside dreaming of beauty and brains... I found him unclothed covered in beer four days he said he had laid here. This he told me true, the greatest thing you'll ever love is just to love and be loved in return...."

Tonight, the bar man waves them over before they can get seated.
" A, uh cyber knight, Lord Coake is in the back." Quickly the bar man ushers the group into a well secured backroom.

The room is large, a fire roars in the center. It is even, perhaps purposefully, large enough to accommodate Grynn's true form. Two small distinct TW modified packs are nestled in a corner with some other odds and ends. A short pole with a flag marked with FB sticks out of one of the packs, the flag of new lazlo is on the reverse side. An unusually haggard looking man, whose noble bearing seems to have been under constant attack is strewn upon the floor half hazzardly. Crawling over him are three babies! He laughs as one plucks his nose, and cringes as one grabs a sore spot on his side. A striking woman in her early 40s sits next to him tickling the nose plucker. She laughs when she gets the baby to giggle. She is dressed in the traditional garb of the Magdalena of New Alamo. Her left leg seems to have a field dressing well applied over it. She exclaims, " This one seems to only have eyes for you Sebazios..." She points at the third quiet baby staring intently at the other man in the room who is quietly sitting in the one dark corner rubbing a salve on his blackened shoulder.
With little mirth but a hint of pride this man stand and nods at the entrance where the group has gathered" They are here Coake, Sister Penelope, they have arrived."

The three bid the heroes welcome giving each a proper welcome. Notably Sebazio bows deep to Grynn, and in dragon's tongue speaks, "tiichi ekess tafiaf wux." . He pulls back the sleeve of his dark shirt reveling a similar tattoo as the one Grynn bears. He smiles at Grynn while he rubs his shoulder. His shoulder looks like it has been scorched black. The charred skin even looks withered. " I would recognize you anywhere. Your father wishes you well. He understands that you have claimed El Paso. It would seem also you stumbled upon the Moon Silvers... Have you heard of the Megaversal Legion I wonder? I would watch your back as their so called cat's cradle seems to be their unofficial community outreach team. It seems like they be moving on your territory..." He sighs, " And yet something else drives them... are they the servants of two masters?"
When Sebazio sees Krys, he seems to struggle as he resists the urge to do more than shake Krys' hand. Sister Penelope gives Ashlyn a warm welcome. " Sister! It is so good to see you, come have you heard of Jude Maverick?" The three go about greeting each but anyone who is anyone can tell they are also appraising the groups relative strength.
Coake nods to Luc and Ndreare, " I am glad to have a warrior from the Kreghor empire with the hunters, from what I saw in the arena you are brave and well skilled. I hear perhaps you are the most efficient wizard this side of the crab nebula. And Archon, it is oft said a blessing follows your foot steps. To have a being perhaps born from the very rifts themselves could not be a better omen."

Sister Penelope takes Fizz's hand and warmly greets him, " I have heard all about you Mr. Zipwidget! One of the three finest techno-wizards I have supposedly met." She laughs a hollow one without any real mirth, and shakes her head, " How I wish the other two were present."

Two of the babies crawl over to Vela and start playing a peekaboo game with her. Sebazio laughs and says, " Vela it is a pleasure to meet you. I have always had the utmost respect for your people. I had the chance to run into the owner of the arena, Rex... By his soiled pants and sniveling I believe someone had already convinced just how wrong it was."

The third baby seems to be flying through the air, holding onto something that is just out of reach. It lets go of an invisible tail only to be caught in the nick of time by a zooming drone. Sister Penelope races arround scooping up the children. Her eyes are glowing red as she pierces the sight unseen. " An imp! A Brodkill baby?" She reaches back to smite it, but Lord Coake stays her hand, " Even the most evil, given the right chance may seize the opportunity to turn away from the darkness." He nods at Penitent.

Coake comes over a red cape swirling behind him. He is pleasant and curt, " It would seem two new faces have joined the ranks of our hunters. I know Leben is the protector of New Del Rio, but what of Ink, and Devek for that matter?" He squints and gingerly touches his side, he smiles reassuring anyone concerned, " Its nothing, we... We encountered something not of this world and it bested us." He shakes his head, " Perhaps a matter for another time." Coake gestures to Sister Penelope holding the babies he continues with a slight smile. " Perhaps you have heard of the Crusade New Alamo has partaken, to stem the tide of evil at a city 2 days from Castle Refuge, the city of Gloom. Something has drawn the wild vampires of these lands towards that city too. I suspect it is... Well lets just say if you come across a temporal wizard named Cade you would do well to kill him and save us all a lot of trouble,"
Sister Penelope seems a bit sad at this remark. " There was a time Cade's heart could broach the most impregnable defense. Whether your suspicions are true or not Lord Coake, someone has risen or un done the death of an ancient vampire, Soldad. I believe the reports said he was vanquished by the 13th Set in Silver Bluff." Her eyes well up in tears, " He alone was responsible for turning 3 of our Magdalena away from their holy pursuits, and..."

Sebazio places a hand on her shoulder, gravely he says, " There is no need to explain, what matters is that He has returned, one of the first, an embodiment of the alien intelligence that plagues this world. This army travels underground, through cracks, crevasses, and old lava tunnels. They will pass by a rift that flows in an underground passage that I believe we can hold until the civil defense force of Gloom can arrive to assist us... I know you are perhaps here in El Paso for a reason of your own choosing. But I Sebazio Lengdosia , Lord Coake the leader of cyber knights, and Magdalena Penelope of New Alamo ask for your help now. We cannot permit such an overwhelming horde of vampires to descend on Gloom, the war that city will soon be embroiled in is not your fight. But this task, this singular place of resistance, we can make a difference and give the heroes that fight for the city and our world the chance they deserve." Sebazio, falters taking a step back clutching his shoulder.

Lord Coake smiles grimly with his arms wide, " Well, put my friend. Our shifter that brought us here, along with a few others did not return, from our ill timed encounter with the bladed witch." Coake glances regretfully at the two backpacks nestled against the wall. " With just the three of us, injured as we are, beyond any known healing, we alone cannot hold the passage underground. But with you 8, plus us 3 I believe we can hold it for just long enough. You may not know whom the villain Geist is unless you were embroiled within the Tolkeen conflict. Then you would know she was the first of the Tolkeen General's to make pacts with demons and raise the undead. Sufficient to say she is a monomaniacal fiend that is in possession of the annihilator spell. A spell so horrible if ever used to its full extent it could end a city or even this very world. She has gathered an army, and the heroes that defend the city have responded in kind. But a force like these vampire's lead by Soldad will undo all the good those heroes have accomplished. We cannot ask you to fight their war, that is not your place. But together we can ensure their war will be fought. If ever a fighting chance was needed the heroes that defend Gloom need us to provide one. Will you make the difference that is so required of you? What say you?"

Perhaps adding a bit of levity to the situation Coake slides in a soft pointed comment to Sebazio, " Perhaps you should hug your daughter." Having get caught up in the drama of the moment, the famous undead slayer breaks character for a moment and smiles sheepishly and hugs his daughter Krys. He softly whispers, " I am so very proud... I... Your shadow now eclipses mine." A hard tear escapes his weathered eye.

Go a head and do an RP, or respond to any of the OCC comments. All Players who respond below and accept the unexpected mission receive +1 Benny. Then when you are ready to face a battle of epic p[proportions and fight along side your allies head here! Soldad's Revenge
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Notice 4
Notice [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice]
There's something different about Krys. While in the presence of these three, her haughty disposition, that knowing air of being the wisest in the room, vanishes. Instead you see something entirely different. Defference, to be certain, but also awestruck wonder. When her father struggles to just shake her hand, Krys steels herself. She wants nothing more than to leap into her father's arms. Nothing more than to simply hug him until they both run out of breath. Her face seems stuck in a permanent grin, though her eyes darken at their report.
To Lord Coake's question, Krys pipes up. "Isandro hunts Trevor, the monster who stole these children. I could not and would not disuade him from the task. As for the Wraith, I have not seen him in some time. I fear him hurt or lost. But he seemed capable, so I truly doubt he is dead."

As Lord Coake, Penelope, and her father finish their report and pitch, Krys speaks up. "I think I speak for all of us, in that we will gladly step up. Besides, ending vampires and demons is our speciality."

As her father wraps her in his arms, she is not the 100 year old veteran of a hundred worlds, having slain vampires and demons, parlayed with angels and elementals, and literally been face to face with a living star. Instead she is a little girl happy to see her father and hugging him fiercly. At his words, tears flow from her eyes. "Nonsense, daddy. But thank you for saying it." The use of the familar daddy over father, which is how she refers to him normally, might strike some as odd. Serenia, her wings folded into a cloak, comes over and pats Sebazio on the shoulder and strokes Krys' back.
Quick Stats
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Lucianna smiles broadly at Sebazio. "Then I have done well by bringing the children here? Oh, that's delightful. I had feared what might come next, as I am simply unaware of how best to care for these. I do not like this Naruni fellow. What sort of fell individual would steal the children of another? If I had a mind to, I would return and lay waste to his shop. But...it sounds as if our strength is best lent elsewhere. I will happily oblige."
She smiles as the babies play. "What beautiful creatures these are. A wonder to behold, and to know that they grow into such as you...amazing. So, shall we undertake this fight?" She prepares to depart.
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Edit Signature
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Penitent is more than a little surprised to return to the inn and find the one-armed feline gangster, Crystal Claw, waiting for him in the dragonling's room. Her words come fast, and she bounces from one thing to another, making it difficult to follow her train of thought. Bemused, he takes the data-stick she offers as she lies down, still feeling a step behind.

"So, you were working for a dragon, or a demon? And now a knight and a man with tattoos are trying to kill you, or is it the Coalition? And because of this you want me to give kill you?" he asks.

Before she can answer any of his questions, his imp flies down and seems to embrace the mutant cat, whose face takes on a look of surprise. As Karl rises, Penitent sees the little winged demon has neatly gutted the cat-creature, opening her chest in a crescent moon.

"We heard her confession and applied the appropriate penance, right daddy?" he says, his claws dripping blood.

"Er, yes, I suppose so. Although it won't always be so easy to bring absolution to the damned," Penitent says, still trying to piece together what happened. "Usually they resist. Now, uh, why don't head back to our own quarters. I'm sure the maids will be able to clean this up ... or strip the sheets ..."

Not one to be starstruck, Penitent looks on impassively as the group is greeted by the dimension-spanning heroes. He's heard of this knight, Coake, and Krysesia's father is said to be a great killer of vampires. The holy woman looks capable, as well, a more experienced version of Ashlyn -- and judging by her reaction to his imp, perhaps burdened by less pacificism.

The idea of facing down an army of undead underground does not worry him, except that it might delay his search for his daughter. But powerful allies could make up the difference, so he simply nods.

"We have faced the dead and demonic before, and enough of us emerged alive to tell the story of those that fell. So it shall be again, if we remain faithful to the Light. Karl, quit cavorting with the infants and fetch our things. The damned again seek the fires of redemption, though they know it not."
Penitent
Quick Stats
Wormwood Apok
Adventure Cards:
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Looking at the disgusting gift brought to him by Rodney. "What to do with this?" He asks himself as he sets about studying it, and even examining the aura to identify the connection to its owner. A brief while after setting it down it stands and begins feeling around as if looking fro something to steal. To bad the fools are illiterate, he could send a message through the hand at least.
With a little bit of work and some old ritual magic he has not used in years Ndreare is able to work up a tracing spell following the link between the hand and the owner. The power that binds them is akin to a shadow-step spell or perhaps a rift. Funny thing.
Within an hour he is able to track the thing down to the owner in time to see the owner getting out with a fellow foolish dood. The two creatures having somehow stolen Old Beast. How could anything so stupid have even started the vehicle he did not know, but now is the time to recover it. As they walk into the bar ready for an evening of libations Ndreare goes over and reacquires Old Beast and after a few tries gets it rolling. Tossing the hand in to the bar as he drives away he wishes the creatures the worst of luck as he drives back off towards his rooms.

As he understands it these men are something of a legend on this world. and when legends ask for help it is normally a fairly important thing to be about. "We can help. But we will need a little more information to be most effective."
Before he finishes Rodney interrupts. "There is a matter of payment to consider. Skills like mine are not cheap."
Ndreare stops him. "If I am going to help then you will either report back to my brother that you were scared and could not follow or you will come with. What could you possibly do with credits anyways?"
"Well it is the principle of the thing. I... err we should be paid."
Rodney mumbles a bit petulantly.
Looking back towards the legendary group Ndreare says. "I am sorry. I cannot tell if it is the nature of his AI or if my brother programmed him to be contrary. But he seems to enjoy being odious."
Looking offended Rodney harrumphs. "I was not simply being odious. I was pointing out the nature of a proper employment contract."
Having already explained Ndreare simply nodded and accepted the situation for what it is, if the petulant little drone wanted to look foolish that was okay with him.
As the scene changed to one of family greeting Ndreare smiled a little before the pain of his own loss stole the smile away. He would never be able to hug his children like that again or praise them for their effort. This was a pain that even a decade gone could surprise him with freshness occasionally.
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

+1 Benny for choosing not to use second action after critical failure per Pender in Hangouts.
    -1 Benny, Agility to interrupt Hammers after everyone went on hold for chit chat.

Adventure Cards
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Notice 4
Notice die [dice]0[/dice], Wild die [dice]1[/dice].
Grynn arrived at his room, wearing the form of a small humanoid dragon-esque boy. He was skipping a bit, grinning like his nickname...that is, until he opened the door, stepped inside and got a good look around. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped at the sight before him. He recognized the cat-person - sort of - but...she had still been alive when he'd last seen her. In fact, HE'D been the one hurt badly! He looked things over confusedly, blinked at the note several times - MSML? Who, or what, was that?

Then he jumped back a bit as something happened to the body, barely restraining letting out a yelp or something equally frightened/startled-sounding. He looked around wildly to find something to beat what he was sure was some sort of undead monstrosity rising in the middle of his bed. He watched with a mixed sort of horror and curiosity at the grotesque and bloody scene before him. It turned out that it was the cat-person...coming back to life?? That was...very strange and wild. He tried to quickly regain his outward composure as she slowly took back on her former shape, minus the one magical arm.

And she was apologizing to him??

Emotions warred across his mind as he stared at her and listened to what she said. She was treating him like he was some kind of bad ass, even called him THE dragon - there were so many dragons, though! He wasn't sure if she was playing him or being sincere, but he decided to play along with it as best as he could. Finally, a few heartbeats after she had finished, as if to make sure she was done talking (but really he was desperately trying to think of what to say or do!), he gave her a slow nod. "See that you do. And next time, try not to get my bed so messy." Yeah, that sounded like someone not to be messed with, like something Krys would say maybe. "You may go now. Good night."

He collapsed in to a puddle on the floor after she left, breathing heavily, as his mind tried to make sense of what had just happened. It took him several minutes to regain control of himself and to remember to look in the case left behind. After that, he was certainly going to run to Krys or Ashlynn to tell them babbling what had happened.

Grynn was in his cute and cuddly orange tabby form once again, hanging out on Ashlynn's shoulder, batting at her jewelry and licking her ear and hair occasionally. He looked around and blinked a few times upon seeing several tiny humanoids in the room with the three battle-weary and wounded-looking people. He let out an inquisitive meowing noise as he looked at everything and hopped down off the woman's shoulder. He stepped back from the group in to an area that would accommodate his large size and resumed his normal form.

He inclined his head low to the man that spoke to him specifically (bowing was kind of hard for a dragon to pull off). "Thank you. I am honored by your presence and greeting." His eyes lit up at the sight of the tattoo and he looked even more interested (if that were possible) than he had been before. His eyes widened a bit as the man spoke on, though. His father?? This man knew him! Of course he did! He was a True Atlantean like Krys. His mouth opened a bit. CLAIMED El Paso? Had he done that? He didn't remember doing that, not specifically at least. Maybe it was an unwritten thing. Like, where a dragon lives, if there is not one there already, it's then THEIR claimed domain-type area. Should he start making a lair here? Maybe it was too soon. "Mega-versal Legion?" He shook his head. "No, I don't think so. The Moon Silvers, yes. The only Legion I know of is the Tomorrow one." His territory? He hadn't realized he HAD territory yet. Things moved fast for a dragon!

They asked about someones named Ink and Devek, but Krys replied about someone called 'Isandro' and 'The Wraith'. That was rude. If someone asked you a question, you should answer them, not bring up another subject to deflect it. But maybe that was what bad asses did. Maybe they didn't care what other people wanted to know, they just told them whatever they felt like talking about. Yeah, that must be it.

Talk turned to demons, evil men and vampires. Things were, apparently, dire. He memorized the names of the people in the room. He didn't want to forget them. He gave a nod to Krys's words. "Yep, sure, we can help! We're heroes, after all!" He wasn't boasting, at least not intentionally. He was just taking his cues from his comrades, bloody and brutal heroes with confusing, and sometimes conflicting, religious and moral beliefs.

He smiled when Krys got to hug her father. A tiny bit of sadness and loneliness, quickly quelled, rose up in him at the thought of wanting to see his own mother and father. He banished such thoughts for the time being, however. There was apparently work to be done.
Grynn
Character Summary
Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling
Special: Cursed with Awesome (You can reroll a 1 on the wild die - unless it is a crit fail. Once per session you can declare an awesome moment and before rolling decide to add your wild die to your trait roll); Fear (in dragon form); Flight 12 (in dragon form); Impervious to Fire; Infravision; Size +6 (in dragon form); Slow Regeneration; Spirit rolls (+2)
Active effects:
Parry: 5 ; Toughness (Dragon form): 34(16); Toughness (Human form): 17(8)
Weapons: Claws/Bite, Fire Breath, Powers, Tail Lash
Edges: AB Magic, AB Psionic, Attractive, Metamorphosis, Power Surge

Charisma: 0 (+2 with Dragons)
Bennies: 3 from Blaze of Glory

ISP: 15/15
PPE: 20/30
Powers: Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Invisibility, Light/Obscure, Slumber, Smite

Wounds:
Fatigue::

Currently playing in: Vampire Kingdoms
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 6 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

"Lady Magdeline!" cries Serenia.

Ashlyn blinked as she raninto Krysesia and Serenia. She stumbled to her knees, her wounds overtaking her. Something about that demon bone blade had prevented her fully healing.

“He killed him…” Ashlyn sobbed, Wretch’s broken and bloody body slipping from her weakened arms.

Serenia’s healing magic seemed to do little. She could feel the holy energy inside warring with the demon taint. It would win, she knew, with the aid of her own healing magics. But she was tired. So tired.

As Krysesia and Serenia found Luciana and the babies, Ashlyn slipped into a deep black corridor, only vaguely aware of her surroundings. She blinked and slid down the wall, spotting the armored woman that had tortured her at the end of the tunnel. The jewels of her cobbled together combat mage armor glittered in the dim light as she fought someone. Horns? Was that...Etach, the D’Norr wizard that had sacrificed Wretch? Ashlyn clenched her fist, trying to call on her magic, but it was too bound up in healing the demonic taint left inside her by that woman’s blade. The D’Norr, raised his hand, a blast of purple-black energy firing at Ashlyn, but the sorcerer's aim was thrown off by Tara slamming her demonic blade into his arm, nearly severing it.

The last Ashlyn saw of the scuffle, the D’Norr was fleeing for his life as several thugs hired as minions tried to cover his retreat, only to be viciously murdered by that woman.

Ashlyn’s eyes closed for a moment. She didn’t know how long. When she opened them, Tara and Etach were gone, and she was staring into the face of a three-legged cat.

“Que?” Ashlyn murmured as she felt the cat drag her off. Darkness claimed her again.

When Ashlyn roused again, her injuries were bandaged. She heard a soft, female voice in her mind.

"Rest mystic. You will need to confront the forces of darkness you unleashed."

“I didn’t…” Ashlyn protested, but was pulled into the blackness again. “Wretch…” Tears streamed down her cheeks.

Ashlyn wasn’t sure how long she remained unconscious. At least a couple days. When she roused, she looked down at the bandages. They weren’t bloody any longer, so someone had been tending her.

Gently Ashlyn unwrapped her bandages to look at her gut wound. It was smaller. There was a poultice smeared over the wound, and she detected the glitter of silver dust and the scent of holy incense. There was likely blessed salt as well, all mixed with holy water. Her mother’s silver cross, Ashlyn’s holy symbol, had been bound into the dressing over the wound, and it glowed with a faint light. Someone had known how to care for such unholy wounds.

Ashlyn reclasped the cross around her throat. She said a soft prayer, another healing spell, and the wound finally closed completely. She felt her magic deep within. The demonic taint was still there, though minimal, contained. She wasn’t sure she would ever be fully free of it, but she seemed hale enough.

Bonita yipped and jumped up onto the bed, pouncing on Ashlyn, licking her face eagerly. Ashlyn grimaced as the little Westie puppy bounced on her newly healed flesh, but it was just a twinge of pain. She gave the puppy scritches and puppy talk, hugging it tightly. Someone had filled Bonita’s bowls with food and water, and there were no messes, so she had obviously been walked.

Ashlyn gingerly made her way to the bathroom, pulling a hot bath. She added lilac scented bubbles, because why not. She needed a treat. She sank down into the tub with a groan, her naked body barely able to stand the heat of the water. She just sat there and wept for the young D’Norr boy that had been killed.

When Ashlyn had finally cried herself out again, she set to work washing herself of the sickbed stink, washing her long, lustrous black hair. She had an idle thought, a drunken moment, a kiss with a beautiful blonde woman, Krysesia, and blushed deeply. She might need to lay off the tequila for a bit. She didn’t usually drink that much!

Clean and dressed, Ashlyn went downstairs, famished. It was morning, and she devoured a huge plate of huevos rancheros and chorizo and coffee with cinnamon in it. The few patrons in the bar were very considerate. Apparently they’d taken turns taking Bonita out, while Serenia had tended to her medically, along with a local body fixer.

After a few inquiries with the locals, Ashlyn went to the city morgue and claimed Wretch’s body. As a homeless D-Bee on the streets, he had no family. The boy looked like he was sleeping. He had been washed and set to rights, the locals at the tavern even buying him a nice suit. Ashlyn gave a choked laugh through her tears. As if Wretch had ever worn a suit! She made arrangements with a local undertaker for a coffin and a burial plot and ordered him a headstone. A Faithful Friend who Died Too Young it read. There would be no unmarked pauper’s grave for the boy if Ashlyn had anything to say about it, no being left in the street to be devoured by the feral dogs that roamed El Paso.

Ashlyn was as surprised as the others when the barkeeper at the Traveller told them Lord Coake awaited them in the back room. The room was large, and it was more than just the founder of the Cyber-Knights. There was also a very familiar face.

“Sister Penny!” Ashlyn exclaimed, rushing over to hug the woman who had been her novice master..

"Sister Ash! It is so good to see you. Come. Have you heard of Jude Maverick?" Sister Penelope asked.

Ashlyn blushed. “I...seem to recall you chased him out of my room in the novice house in nothing but what the good Lord gave him,” Ashlyn replied. Jude was the only man she had ever been with, however briefly.

Penelope chuckled. “And the good Lord was very generous,” she said, and both women gave a quicky sign of penitence for such unholy thoughts!

Lord Coake spoke again. "Perhaps you have heard of the Crusade New Alamo has partaken, to stem the tide of evil at a city two days from Castle Refuge, the city of Gloom. Something has drawn the wild vampires of these lands towards that city too. I suspect it is... Well, let’s just say if you come across a temporal wizard named Cade, you would do well to kill him and save us all a lot of trouble."

Sister Penelope seemed a bit sad at this remark. "There was a time Cade's heart could broach the most impregnable defense. Whether your suspicions are true or not, Lord Coake, someone has risen or undone the death of an ancient vampire, Soldad. I believe the reports said he was vanquished by the 13th Set in Silver Bluff." Her eyes welled up in tears. "He alone was responsible for turning three of our Magdalena away from their holy pursuits, and..."

Ashlyn paled at that. “Did you say Soldad?” She crossed herself vigorously again. “Madre de Dios! Will it never end!” she sobbed, sinking into a chair and burying her face in her hands.

Sister Penelope looked puzzled, and put a hand on Ashlyn’s shoulder, kneeling down to her level. “What, my sister?” she asked.

Ashlyn looked up with tear- filled eyes. “Soldad is the name the vampires called the one who killed my parents,” the young Magdalena said. “More than that. He...He turned my mother. A few weeks ago, we fought her, and I...I ended her.”

Sister Penelope gasped, tears filling her eyes, as well. “Oh, Ash,” she murmured, pulling Ashlyn to her in a tight, supportive hug.

Ashlyn clung to her mentor tightly, unable to stop the tears.

The tattooed man, Sebazio, spoke. "What matters is that Soldad has returned, one of the first, an embodiment of the alien intelligence that plagues this world. This army travels underground, through cracks, crevasses, and old lava tunnels. They will pass by a rift that flows in an underground passage that I believe we can hold until the civil defense force of Gloom can arrive to assist us. I know you are perhaps here in El Paso for a reason of your own choosing. But I, Sebazio Lengdosia; Lord Coake, the leader of cyber knights; and Magdalena Penelope of New Alamo ask for your help now. We cannot permit such an overwhelming horde of vampires to descend on Gloom. The war that city will soon be embroiled in is not your fight. But this task, this singular place of resistance, we can make a difference and give the heroes that fight for the city and our world the chance they deserve."

“We cannot ask you to fight their war, that is not your place. But together we can ensure their war will be fought. If ever a fighting chance was needed, the heroes that defend Gloom need us to provide one. Will you make the difference that is so required of you? What say you?" Lord Coake added.

Ashlyn looked up, her eyes red, but now dry. “This we will do,” she said vehemently. “This I vow, to kill this vampire Soldad.” Her words were nearly a growl.

“What of the babies?” Ashlyn asked. “Do we know their families? If not, the Magdalenas would take them in.” She looked to Sister Penelope. That is what they did, took in orphan girls and made them forces for good in the world.

Conditions
*PPE: 25/25
*ISP: 15/15
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

(rolls held)
Serenia smiles at Lucianna's wonder. "I felt the same when I saw how they raised their young as they do. Unlike most animals, most humanoids go through a much longer period of inability as their bodies and minds expand in capability at the same rate, but slower than most animals. From someone like myself who more or less came into being whole, as it sounds like you did based on your comment, it's an alien concept. However, it is one full of wonder and beauty."

In answer to Ash's question about the babies, Krys responds. "They have a whole clan of family - not all of us wander and crusade as my father, Ink and I do. Father, I can open a Rift to Center, then to Alexandria and then to the city from there. Just need to keep a low profile. We can be back in 20 or 30 minutes, at worst."

A thought occurs to her and she looks to her father, Lord Coake, and Sister Penelope. "In addition to turning holy warriors, the intelligence itself has managed a feat unheard of. It can turn werecreatures. By all lore and sense it should be impossible. It is not an immediate matter we must look into, but it is something worth looking into next. I intend to, as does Vela I'm sure. And I am certain I would have to restrain the rest should I try to keep them from it. But any help or intel you all can pass on, now or later, would be helpful."
Quick Stats
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

"And don't forget dragons," Ashlyn added. "It was trying to turn dragons."
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Lucianna nods at Serenia. "Our people are formed from unified magical energies of two or more Archons. Each participant in what you might call a ritual adds something of themselves to the spell, but the end result is something wholly unique. Still, upon our emergence, we are fully formed and do not need such constant care."

She peers quizzically at the drone. "What compensation is needed to perform necessary acts by which life is preserved? Are you saying that you would not aid in the defense of life against these evil creatures without first being given material recompense?" She shakes her head. "Not only do I not grasp this concept, I see now why machines are inherently useless. I have seen feats of magic and divine power save many in the arena. The power comes from within. Your power comes from a socket in a wall. Your little beams and buzzing innards cannot avail you in this fight. It is no wonder you feign a mercenary mentality as a mask for your inability to assist. You have no sense of the worth of life except to accumulate these sticks." She withdraws a credstick from her pocket. "You can do nothing with this except calculate numbers with no meaning." She tosses the stick towards Rodney. "There. You may count that stick among your own. Now, let those of us who place value on things other than sticks be about the business of preserving life while you whirr and buzz impotently." She lets out a disgusted huff and turns back towards the flesh and blood in the room.
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Edit Signature
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Ndreare listens to the rant laid into Rodney thinking the little smart ass deserves it. But he knows what is coming. The argumentative little prick will not be content to let it lie. So he allows the two beings to bicker and see how their debate ends.
Grabbing the cred stick as it is tossed like rubbish Rodney seems to light up at the opportunity for an argument as if his deepest wish was being granted. “Oh, I apologize archon. I did not realize the high ones were such strong advocates of slavery.
“That is what you are saying is it not. That you expect The General and I be forced to serve is whatever cause you decide is worthy without compensation?
“Or is it only I who because I was formed by the mind of many instead of only two mind that you believe should be denied free choice an my own will?
“Perhaps your argument rest of your perceived balance of good versus evil? But what makes you the rightful judge of such things? Do we see legions of angels and self titled archons coming to stop this swarm of evil proving they are evil?
“No, we only have the words of those being who would be devoured. Which is the very nature of all life and energy in the universe.
“Or perhaps your argument is that because you see this as something morally just to pursue? Is it not the very order of nature that those things stronger and more powerful consume those weaker? Does not a powerful bear live off of the suffering of fish, berries and so called vermin? Everything in this world is constantly in a state of consuming those things weaker than themselves. Even the fuzziest bunny is devouring the physical mass of thousands of living plants daily as it consumes the grass of the field.”
“Your inferred assertion of moral superiority because you will do what must be done is premised on the argument that the lives of one being is more valuable than the life of another because you say so. While are not the very lives you wish to save murderers and devourers of the other lives. You humans kill thousands of other plants and animals every year to live. Plants and animals that the magics of shamanism and biomancy can be used to show are objectively aware and alive. How is that different from this vampire menace?
“It is not in the exception that you have chosen that in this one case to give moral high ground to those most appealing to you.
“Your desire to force and expect service without reciprocation is the very definition of slavery. So do you believe slavery is acceptable in the name of whatever cause you chose? Perhaps your argument is that those who will not serve as your willing slaves instead be shamed into service by social ridicule?
“Well modern neurological science has shown that emotional pain is in fact equally treated and reacted to with physical pain. So again you are forcing people in a manner no different than bending of the arm and breaking of bones to serve your cause.”
Finishing his argument the drone adds. “The General and I are not from this world and can leave at any time. With that in mind any assistance we may offer up is at personal cost to The General or Myself.”
“So tell me archon, of high one if we chose to translate the name you call yourself into the modern tongue. What makes you so high and mighty as to enslave us?”
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

Adventure Cards
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Lucianna's eyes flash with arcs of lightning at the accusation of advocating slavery. "I am a stranger to this place. I understand the ideas of life cycles, and that some creatures will feed on others for their sustenance, though this is a concept alien to me. The concept of slavery is also new to me, but it is my very opposition to slavery that drives my intention to contest these vampires. They are the epitome of 'slavers.' They steal life force and subjugate the will of the living for their unnatural and demonic purposes. These creatures defy the natural order. As such, your arguments for the strong devouring the weak are invalid. This is not an animal eating other animals, nor even animals eating greenery. This is a negative essence that only consumes and does not grow through metabolism."

She sneers at the mechanical being. "Your base instincts, implanted in you by those gifted in machinery, are for accumulation of numbers. Those of us among the living value life - true life, not vampiric Unlife - beyond mere computations. It is the duty of the living to aid the living, and in this, we find value. The lives we save are our compensation. If that does not ring true, then allow this to feed into your systems: your general would become a slave, if these vampires have their way. Voluntarily marching in opposition to unlife is the antithesis of enslavement, as it is a true exercise in free will. There is no escape from vampiric enthrallment, save the intervention of the living against the undead. Therefore, expecting the strong amongst the living to oppose the strong amongst the unliving is not slavery. It is the opposite. It is the freeing of slaves. The compensation is duty and honor, and the satisfaction in having prevented the loss of life."

She sets her jaw, and continues. "You and your master are free to leave. I, most certainly, can not and will not force him to stay. However, I have a suspicion that your master more likely agrees with me, and will lend his mighty efforts to combat the vampire threat without promise of cold, calculable compensation, than he is to depart. As it is their unnatural desire to consume, there may come a time when they devour their way to his door, should he leave. Such an analytical mind may see merit in forestalling that eventuality from a place of advantage before the scourge reaches their doorstep."
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Edit Signature
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Rodney listens to her counterpoint then says. “Your opposition to slavery is what motivates you to force other to do your will and view he world as you do?”
With a smug sound that is missing respectful tone do another sciencient he continues. “You dismiss me as unnatural, and dismiss the vampire intelligence as unaturnal. But you yourself are not of this world with no natural place in it.”
His tone changing to contempt he adds. “How can anything with such emotional and changing irrationality in perspective be considered seriously when determining important matters. With one moment you say you are against slavery, the next you force it on us. Another moment you say all life matter, then next you say only natural life and your own supernatural existence of curse.
“The status of Artificial Intelligences has been recognized by the entirety of the Consortium, and 81.421% of the Kreghor Empire’s worlds. But here you claim your personal view point and moral high ground give you more authority than trillions of other scentients is determining whose life matters.”
Following her third point he finishes. “Well of course you would say that now, knowing he has agreed foolishly to do this mission unpaid. But that does not mean it would have been wrong of him to get paid correctly or to be compensated.
“If all you can do is insult and dismiss those of us who are different from you because we are not unnatural beings from incorporeal dimensions then I suppose I will accept this victory in our argument.”
Getting tired of the insulting nature Ndreare finally speaks up. “Just shut up Rodney, she is correct that we need to fight them and you already know it.”
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

Adventure Cards
Lucianna
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Lucianna »

Lucianna's eyes narrow at the drone. "Hm. I surmise you have some ability to retain memory of a conversation, yes? Please recall my words, where I somehow implied a compulsion of your general's service against his will. If your recollection is honest, you will find that I did not. I simply queried whether you would refrain from taking action to preserve life unless given sticks. Please also explain how voluntarily doing a deed without some form of remuneration in sticks equals a loss of free will or enslavement. And, lastly, at your convenience, please identify one person in this room to whom I am subject, or is subject to me." She smiles wryly. "Go ahead. I will wait."
She curtsies to the drone. "I am only dismissive of foolish constructs who fabricate statements into opposing arguments not proffered by the original speaker. There. You have your victory."
Lucianna
Lucianna character sheet
Edit Signature
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

Vela listens in her own way...pretending not to be listening as she sits near the infants and plays with them. Just when it seems like she hasn't been listening at all, she looks up at the others and says, "All this talking. Lets go kill some Dead."
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Lord Coake observes the conversation between rohdney and Luc... His eyes glaze over as if imagining cutting the drone in twain.
Sabazio and sister Penelope look at each other and the babies taking in Krys and Ash's suggestions.
Sabazio nods at Ashlyn, " I had meant to take the children back home. My daughters ease of leylines would make it incredably simple to do this. We would not even need to rely on the Archons help for that task... Unlike the one we are about to embark upon. Sister Penelope, what of the Magdalanas? I cannot deny the twist of fate that has brought us and them here."
Sister Penelope looks at the babies she is hanging on too with a small wry smiles, " I would think, even with New Alamo mostly emptied to heed the call for arms, we could support these babies, and nurture them as we could. There has never been a true atlantean in our order. I sense a strong connection with these three already. Sister Margret and her cyberknight protector travelled with me here, they could watch after the children while we face our destiny. If we do not make it back, they will see the children are brought to New Alamo. Something tells me removing the children from these lands may have untold consequences.... Its just a nagging feeling I have."
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Ndreare looks over. “Now that sounds like the right plan. We still need some intelligence on what is coming. So tell us everything you know about this threat please. Then we need to go to the leery line and power up before going through the gate. ” Once they have revealed all and everyone is geared up Ndreare readies himself for the battle to come.
“Oh, and Rodney. Give the lady her credit stick back. She does not understand its value yet.”
The robot complies, though some indecipherable mumblings can be heard.

Hearing the Cyberknights words Ndreare examines the children with his true sight and accesses his arcane library. This situation is familiar.
Knowledge Arcana Roll 14, Exalted Detect Arcane used
Exalted Detect Arcana at Will (No Roll Required)

Knowledge Arcana
Smarts [dice]0[/dice]
Smarts Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

Adventure Cards
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Fizzwaite rolls his eyes at the drone's outburst. Only a bloody fool programs a machine to think it's alive. "Yer a machine you bucket of bolts and if you aren't careful a bucket of bolts is all that will be left of you." he growled. Turning his attention to Luci his tone is more conciliatory. "Luci lass, there are three things you should never do, the prime being never argue with a machine. It's a bloody waste of time. Especially when they can talk back."

Fizzwaite makes a show of checking his gear and grins at Lord Coake. "So when do we get this party started?"
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

At Fizz's urging and after explaining to Ndreare the indepth un-life detail of all 10,000 vampires lord Coake raises and eye to Sabazio as if to say we are ready. Sabazio grips Lucianna and Krys, " What we do now, must never be revealed to those outside. Countless years ago when we Atlanteans realized our mistake we sought out a way to undo the unforgivable. Needless to say we never found it, but we did find life in the leylines. A race of beings so connected to the rise of magic, both before and after that we dubbed them the Archon." Sabazio grimaces and holds his grip on the two, vice like and unrelentting, but his eyes gaze accross the room instilling the improtance of his words. " Coake's lengthy description of our enemy is apt and true, I hope you understand the gravity of our mission, and if not perhaps the debt the Archon's pay now will under lie it. Be warned, this has done but once before and by accident. The accounts of what truely happened were murky at best. You may find the experience of using the archon's artifical rift dissorienting to say the least."
From his cloak Sabazio pulls out and holds aloft a glowing blue and white stone... Lucianna would easy recognize it as the Archon Stone. If the leylines are her peoples mothers the stone would surely be the father.
Suddenly the room fills with dozens of Archon's holding hands, and amazingly they form a leyline in the very room you are in!
Sabazio's voice becomes urgent imploring both Krys and Lucianna to concentrate," Quickly, do not try to draw on the leyline, but focus on its end. See the underground chamber where we will meet the vampire hordes! Daughter use her as your anchor, as your guide and take us there!"
As Luc and Krys come to grips with the primal forces they are dealing with, the world for all drifts away, and then it all goes sideways... Something or someone from outside time and space distrupts and opposes the efforts of Lucianna and Krys. Heat, temprary amnesia, and vampire stentch greet the heroes as they come too, .
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Chronicles of the Vampire Kingdoms”