The Lost Ship

Post Reply
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

The Lost Ship

Post by Tribe of One »

663774b58c5c4e9ac148738e6aa5a755.jpg
The job didn't come through any of the normal channels.

There was no meet in the back room at The Clairvoyant, no posting on the black net at the spice market, no discrete visit from one of Mohammad McMurtry's capos at the docks. Just a slim, foil-wrapped disc that turned to dust in the optical drive after flashing a single-read message:

<<Got an assignment, if you want it. Recovery, and a fresh one. Almost certainly corpo, judging from the finder's fee they paid me to arrange something, but the money's good. 10k credits. Quick turnaround, so if you want it, send confirmation by morning same way as last time and I'll set up the meet. Don't expect a real person -- like I said, corpo, but the creds smell like the real thing.>>

The sigil that flashed right before the disc disintegrated was that of Ganji Grae, an upscale fixer you worked with on a couple of jobs, half a cycle ago. Both had gone well, so it wasn't inconceivable he'd reach out when looking for a reliable crew ... and the price tag more than overshadowed any lingering suspicions. Ten thousand credits was enough to get the full crew off 'Dessa, onto an outbound ship on Horizon Station and to the next system over ... maybe two systems if you bunked in steerage or signed up for a work detail.

Alternatives were few and looking poorly at the moment. The credits from the last job had barely paid to keep a pirated data line running to your safehouse. If there was ever a time to make your move and get off this choking rock, now seems as good as ever ...


Who's going to signal Ganji Grae, and how? Who's going to the meet? Anything you want to do before-hand?
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Vi
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Vi »


The safe house had a distinctive odor of dishwater and ash. Vi wrinkled her nose and rubbed her forehead absently with a knuckle. Hunched over the portable vid compad she searched the news on the net to see if there were any clues on what the job might be. Nothing stood out. Finally sliding the device away from her she looked at the others. Yellow grey eyes looked out from under the pink, purple and white hoodie she wore. Her white and red hair flat and tied into a ponytail. No mohawk today as she lounged in sweatpants and hooded sweatshirt.

The stink of the place drove her up and out of her cozy chair. Grabbing a synth candle from the shelf nearby she read the scent on it as she pushed items on the shelf about looking for a lighter.

Serenity Dock and Lavender.

Frowning Vi recalled the half used candle smelling more like factory and balls but it was better than the stench of the safe house. Thus why one of the crew had swooped the thing.

Finally finding a little green lighter she danced from foot to foot wishing she had put on socks as the metal floor was cold as a dead spacer.

Flick. Flick. Flick. The lighter sparked as Vi stated: ”Well. Of course we are taking the job. It’s enough cred for us all to get off this ass hat choking planet.” Flick. Flick. Flick.

Finally a little flame burned until Vi held the lighter to the wick. Flame went out and Vi growled.

Flick. Flick. Flick. ”We sig back a yes and do our usual eh? Sab and I being the muscle escort one of us to the meet. Others on overwatch. Damn it! Does anyone have a working light?”

Looking annoyed Vi slams the candle onto the table, unlit, and chucks the empty lighter at the shelf. Sitting back on the couch she crosses her legs and tucks her bare feet into the cushions to warm them.

”What do you guys think?”
Daniel - Site Admin/GM of Savage Rifts Agents of Titan
Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
Henry- CS Ranger (Commando) - Rumble in the Jungle
Vi - “Former” Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers

User avatar
Kosi
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Kosi »

“I like that. Thank you for bringing it out again.” Came the soft toned reply from Kosi as her attention was drawn towards the lavender candle, her eyes tilting ever so slightly in evident pleasure at the the attempted gesture, even though lighting it had failed miserably. Prior to this she had been hunched over her dataslab, carefully reading the screen over some information she had retrieved from the data line, looking every bit an enigmatic monk in red and silver ceremonial robes that she seemed to wear everywhere save for when it was required of them to go unnoticed... Which ended up being quite often of late. It seemed at the safe houses was the only spot where they could be donned.

Slender fingers of one hand reached out towards the candle, palm up as a sudden flick produced a tiny laser cutting tool. Just one of many attachments included in the wrist mounted metatool, a Swiss army knife styled kit favoured by technicians and reminiscent of the deployment of an old style concealed derringer. The small red beam was mostly used for minor repairs, but produced enough directed heat to allow the wick to catch aflame and spring to life. In short order filling the room with the scent of factory and balls. A few moments were then spared to slowly rub her hands together before holding them over the dancing flame, warming herself on it for a few moments. A small sigh of relief escaping her pale lips.

The others might wonder if such a gesture was part of her programming in an effort to appear as human as possible, or an intended farce that was consciously decided upon. They knew well enough by now that the dainty feminine figure with elegant movements was a VI and had no real reason to desire neither the warmth of the glowing flame or the scent it provided, despite the fact that she had gone through the motions and had gone through the effort to appear as such.

“If you like, I could send back a simple yes over the line to Grae. Even if intercepted, it would lack any sort of context to be useful to any onlookers. Of course Andrew and his silver tongue would be best for the meet itself. Once we have a location, I’ll keep an ear on the lines to see if there is any unusual activity headed that way.” She suggests as an additional course of action to Vi’s suggestion.
User avatar
Andrew Cofield
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Andrew Cofield »

Andrew watches Vi try to light the candle as he thinks about any corp that may have 'lost' something recently. Coming up blank he starts to say something just as Kosi lights the candle. Watching her movements he looks for any tale-tell signs that she is not what she appears but is impressed with her performance. He then shrugs. "I can't think of anything, or anyone, that has gone missing recently so this 'recovery' may be more of a heist. However, I also cannot think of any reason not to at least look into it and about ten thousand reason we should."

He stands up from the floor rubbing his butt through the sweats he has on in an effort to return feeling to that area. He then shuffles, trying to keep both worn out slippers on, over to the one closet that closes completely and starts sorting through some of his 'professional' outfits. "What look do you think I should go for? Hard gun? Middle management? Slum runner? I doubt upper management. I hope not gutter punk, that one itches."

Parry: 6; Toughness: 7 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Armor, Favored Powers (Wizard), Wizard (Specialist) (Abjuration (Necro, Enchant))



Parry: 5; Toughness: 7(2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Can’t Swim, Cautious, Small, Wanted (minor, former street gang)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Free Runner, Thief
User avatar
Sabrek Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Sabrek Vek »

Being the muscle isn’t that hard. Sure you are more prone to injury. And it seems like you are always on. The One place Sabrek did not have to be on was the safe house. Currently it smelled like lavender after the lighting of a candle to cover up its normally unctuous scent of neglect.

The down side of being the muscle is the hyper vigilance and borderline paranoia. A more recent example is this job. Didn’t come by the normal channels. We all are desperate to get off planet. Details were slim. So you have an unknown job, that came outside of normal channels to a group that is frantically trying to get paid. Sounds like the perfect conditions for a job from hell. Sabrek keeps his mouth shut though. No need to get them worried. I’ve got this. Being vigilant is enough. If I get more indicators I can present it then. .

When we heading to the meet?, Sabrek inquired assuming he is going. He then awaits an answer.
User avatar
Jaxon
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:58 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Jaxon »

Vi wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:27 am
Serenity Dock and Lavender.

Frowning Vi recalled the half used candle smelling more like factory and balls but it was better than the stench of the safe house. Thus why one of the crew had swooped the thing.

Finally finding a little green lighter she danced from foot to foot wishing she had put on socks as the metal floor was cold as a dead spacer.

Flick. Flick. Flick. The lighter sparked as Vi stated: ”Well. Of course we are taking the job. It’s enough cred for us all to get off this ass hat choking planet.” Flick. Flick. Flick.

Finally a little flame burned until Vi held the lighter to the wick. Flame went out and Vi growled.

Flick. Flick. Flick. ”We sig back a yes and do our usual eh? Sab and I being the muscle escort one of us to the meet. Others on overwatch. Damn it! Does anyone have a working light?”

Looking annoyed Vi slams the candle onto the table, unlit, and chucks the empty lighter at the shelf. Sitting back on the couch she crosses her legs and tucks her bare feet into the cushions to warm them.

”What do you guys think?”
Jaxon's workbench is a testament to the efficiency of organized chaos. Spare parts litter the area, tools and projects placed haphazardly in neat piles. He's working on some electrical device while Vi is sparking the lighter. A small pen light hovers in the air over the device while a multi tool works on opening one end and Jaxon uses more delicate tools with his hands to work the cover free on side closer to him.

When Vi tosses the lighter to the self, the multi tool floats to the table and the lighter slowly slips off the shelf and floats over to his workstation. He pauses his work on the device long enough to examine the lighter. Satisfied, he returns his attention to the small device in front of him while he uses his telekinetic ability to slowly refill the lighter with flammable fluid from another section of his work station.

"Good as new," Jaxon mutters as the lighter floats over to Vi, "Credits are good. Just don't want to deal with the client. Don't mind playing backup or lookout."

With his attention fully focused back on the device, Jaxon is able to pop the cover off of it and begins carefully disassembling the delicate parts inside. Within seconds the device is completely gone, absorbed into ecosystem of the workbench.
Kosi wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:37 pm “If you like, I could send back a simple yes over the line to Grae. Even if intercepted, it would lack any sort of context to be useful to any onlookers. Of course Andrew and his silver tongue would be best for the meet itself. Once we have a location, I’ll keep an ear on the lines to see if there is any unusual activity headed that way.” She suggests as an additional course of action to Vi’s suggestion.
Jaxon nods, "More credits is better. Could watch over Kosi instead.

Jaxon turns his attention to the weapons at his workstation. He never fails to check the condition of the team's gear before a job. Life, death, success and failure could depend upon his work. Whatever other failings he might have, Jaxon makes sure these responsibilities are carried out to perfection.
Andrew Cofield wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:22 am He stands up from the floor rubbing his butt through the sweats he has on in an effort to return feeling to that area. He then shuffles, trying to keep both worn out slippers on, over to the one closet that closes completely and starts sorting through some of his 'professional' outfits. "What look do you think I should go for? Hard gun? Middle management? Slum runner? I doubt upper management. I hope not gutter punk, that one itches."
"Need help?" Jaxon asks, "Not my specialty but can help get the look right."
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Tribe of One »

There's no direct response to Kosi's single-word transmission back to Grae, but a couple of hours later a greasy sack of vat-shroom tortas is dropped off at your door. Laser-etched on the underside of one of the buns is the address for the meet.

It's a space Grae has used before, a conference room in a bland and slightly-claustrophic warren of offices hanging off of the elevated walkway spanning a titanium manufactory and a hydroponics silo. The surrounding suites are all empty, used as fronts for various hustles and shell companies run by Grae or whoever it is he answers to.

Power and comms to office-cluster all come through a trunk-line running up the silo. Kosi and Jaxon set up in an abandoned food shack on ground level to try to tap the line, while Vi and Sabrek escort Andrew up the lift, then over and down into the office module. Grae's people left the doors unsecured, but there doesn't seem to be anyone hanging around.

As soon as Andrew steps into the conference room, a holo-projector at the center table lights up, static shaping up into a reasonable fascimile of a corporate salaryman, his perfectly symmetrical features the result of either cheap programming or expensive surgery.

“Well, let’s not waste any time,” the man says, forehead creasing into a perfect frown. “Two days ago, my company was robbed. That is, our CEO was robbed ... and ... " -- a bit of static causes the hologram to stutter before reforming -- " ... he would like the matter dealt with without the public embarrassment that would occur if this incident leaked to the media.”


With a success against DC 8, you notice that the video-shroud program is feeding into the holo is glitching, which is causing the static. Based on the split-second glimpses you get, you're pretty sure the suit on the other end of the line is a she, not a he.

If you fail the check, you still pick that up ... but also hear someone cursing softly after the glitch, followed by a whispered "Damn, think they clocked her?


“I ... " -- more static -- "our CEO owns an old free trader, the 'Free Rain,' that is used for special assignments, where the company needs to keep a low profile, so it's not something we wish to report to Blackwall or the other enforcement agencies. But the ship has sentimental value and we have reason to believe the thieves who stole it intend to have its identification codes changed and move it off planet within the next few days. Obviously we cannot allow this to happen. We need you to locate the ship and return it to us. If you can do this, we are prepared to offer 10,000 credits, half of which has already been placed as surety with your associate, Grae. Do you have any questions?”

If questioned, the suit says he doesn't know know the identity of the thieves or the location of the ship.

"Surely someone knows something about it on the darknet, but ... our initial inquiries turned up nothing solid, beyond a few mentions of a bar called the Blast Furnace where smugglers and ship-jackers are known to congregate."


With a success against DC 8, you're able to tap the data-line well enough to trace the transmission feeding into the holoprojector. It bounces through a couple of nodes, but the masking is amateur-hour, and in no time you're able to track the signal to a network address connected to Manticore Industries, a local corp with its hands in everything from plastics and textiles to gravcars and hab fabrication. The CEO, Kira Gurov, either inherited the company or stole it from her uncle in a bloodless coup, depending on which messageboards you believe, but the company generally appears to have kept its nose clean under watch.

If you fail, you get the above information but are pretty sure your tap was detected.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Sabrek Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Sabrek Vek »

Notice DC8 - 2d6: [4, 1] = 5 3d6-L: [3, 4, 3]-L = 7

Sabrek looks at the holo and when the floor is opened to questions he inquired ”Do you need the thieves in any particular condition? Alive or dead? Crippled or not crippled? Do we get a bonus if we make an example of them to make sure people think twice before ripping you off again?” He awaits an answer.
User avatar
Kosi
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Kosi »


Success
Int+2, Program 1 = +3
3d6-L: [2, 4, 1]-L = 6 +3 = 9
Expert Reroll not required 3d6-L: [2, 3, 3]-L = 6


“FauxFu Sticks” had once been sold at the tiny shack adjacent to the hydroponics silo. The plasticized sign that stood out front had been faded due to time and neglect as it tilted slightly, giving any passer by the reasonable expectation that this particular operation had long since gone under. The soy grown in the silo next to it ended up being too expensive for the margins that this particular franchise had desired for its fried Tofu snacks, so they had instead opted to go with a synthetic substitute, while trying to market themselves as a cleaner and more chic alternate to curdled beans. Unfortunately it seemed, Odessa had not been ready for the genius that was substitute for a food that was already a substitute for other foods.

Regardless, the product had been so distasteful that even if Kosi and Jaxon had been noticed, there would be the fear in those who witnessed their arrival that it meant a reopening of the horrifying food stand. A casual glance and then a determined walk past of denial at having seen anything was exactly what a pair of people trying not to be seen needed from the others who were accessing the linked buildings.

The inside still smelled of fryer grease, that sticky oily smell that never seemed to go away no matter how many years had passed, the sort that permeated your clothing and skin after spending a significant amount of time inside. The place as dirty as well, with cramped quarters akin to a typical food truck allowing little movement for the two of them, especially if they wanted to avoid touching the blackened filth encrusting the catch trays of the fryers hanging below waist level. Fortunately even the local rodents seemed to want nothing to do with this place, as it seemed that the traces of synthetic food hadn’t agreed with their pallets either.

As Kosi carefully turned over a wobbly stool that had been hanging off of a hook on the ceiling, she looked over at Jaxon with a slight tilt of her head before speaking with an impressed tone. ”Synthetic Tofu, what a wonderful concept. People dream up so many interesting things in an effort to become wealthy. Such imaginative thoughts have always interested me.”


Kosi’s words seemed to be genuinely interested in the subject rather than what one might expect would be an appropriate phrasing for sarcasm instead, quietly chatting as she set up her datapad on the counter next to one of the fryers directly across from the transmission cable leading into the building. Handing her metatool to Jaxon as she pointed a finger towards the line on the wall. ”Could you splice this for me please? One day I will be able to afford a phase tap so this can be done without being so invasive, but for now this will have to do. Thank you so much.”

The priest looked more like an overworked office employee than a member of the clergy as she started typing away on the device, brushing away strands of hair from her eyes with a hand made of skeletal shaped metal. The keys clacking away at different cadences depending on which of her two hands she used, be that of flesh or alloy. ”Have you ever tried it? The FauxFu I mean. Is it good?” Came a curious question before she carefully closed the device.

She waited patiently for his answer, nodding along as if absorbing important information to the matter at hand before finally saying. ”Thank you for your help, I have the information we came for, it seems like my intrusion wasn't detected. You did quite well today!”
User avatar
Vi
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Vi »


Notice Roll DC 8

2d6: [4, 1] = 5
(Int +1 but Untrained Skill -1)
Result 5 Fail


As the three of them made their way to the meeting place Vi had her hands thrust into her coat pockets and ran her fingers over the gun and knife hidden there.

The trench coat was in bad condition but Vi loved it. It had once been brand new and had smelled like real leather, which of course it wasn’t. Dyed black with dozens of pockets, many concealed and designed to hold weapons, a grinning dark red orc head was burnt into the upper back portion of the synth leather. Was. Today the long coat smelled more like body odor masked by gunpowder and vanilla and the tears and rips in the coat outnumbered the amount of pockets. The orc logo all but gone looking more like a mutant smiley face.

Vi had the coat infused with odors to keep the stank of the old thing tolerable.

Gunpowder, also known as black powder, a chemical compound consisting of sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate. The formula had exploded into the fragrance infusion industry with its boldly peppery and smoky scent. Recommended to pair with a floral or vanilla scent.

Vanilla being a common, beloved ingredient in many top selling infusions and was cheaper than floral.

Vi picked it, even after the merchant had shared a little too much. He had stated it was cheap because, “Did you know that the anal secretions of beavers can also produce a pleasing vanilla aroma? Also known as castoreum, this ingredient has been often used in classic leather-themed perfume. That magic of science…”

Vi smirked as the three crew entered the unsecured doors and were greeted by the holo.

Looking around the room for dangers and possible threats she only half listened to the holo stiff as he droned on, until she absently heard the holo scrambled a bit and miss a step.

Heh, the guy was a gal it seemed.

Vi frowned.

Patriarchy. Always the same damn thing. A social system in which positions of dominance and privilege are primarily held by men.

As the meeting ended she escorted Sab and Andrew out. Hands still deep in her ratty pockets holding the weapons. She continued to observe and watch, ready for any action.

Time to regroup and then earn some credits.
Daniel - Site Admin/GM of Savage Rifts Agents of Titan
Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
Henry- CS Ranger (Commando) - Rumble in the Jungle
Vi - “Former” Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers

User avatar
Andrew Cofield
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Andrew Cofield »

Notice: +2 Int, -1 unskilled
2d6+1: [6, 4]+1 = 11


Andrew was dressed in his 'middle management' outfit and walked with a practiced 'nervous ease', he looked like someone pretending to be confident even though he was scared beyond belief. Of course, with Vi and Sabrek along he was actually quite confident. Perhaps not the most skilled operators out there this team worked well together and knew how each would act in a given situation.

Approaching the meeting place he started scanning the area for anything out of place. Nothing stood out, but he did not expect it to be obvious. It was not until they were confronted by the holo that something slipped. A woman CEO, that does not want to be known. Interesting bit of info. "Before we go retrieve this cargo ship is there any cargo on it we need to be aware of? Anything volatile or corrosive? Or perhaps something the formal authorities don't want associated with your employer? We need to know so we can take appropriate precautions as we take it. We will of course keep any such information strictly confidential."

After receiving any answer Andrew then glances at his partners and seeing no other questions continues. "Then, as you said, let's not waste any time. We will have Grea contact you when we have possession of the ship." He then turns and strides from the room without a backwards glance.

Parry: 6; Toughness: 7 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Armor, Favored Powers (Wizard), Wizard (Specialist) (Abjuration (Necro, Enchant))



Parry: 5; Toughness: 7(2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Can’t Swim, Cautious, Small, Wanted (minor, former street gang)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Free Runner, Thief
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Tribe of One »

Sabrek Vek wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:55 pm ”Do you need the thieves in any particular condition? Alive or dead? Crippled or not crippled? Do we get a bonus if we make an example of them to make sure people think twice before ripping you off again?”
The sneers, flashing perfectly even, perfectly white teeth in a predatory snarl.

"Hurt them, yes, as much as is convenient. But don't draw attention. A public bloodbath will draw more scrutiny than it's worth. When the Free Rain is recovered, they'll know not to cross us again."
Andrew Cofield wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 am"Before we go retrieve this cargo ship is there any cargo on it we need to be aware of? Anything volatile or corrosive? Or perhaps something the formal authorities don't want associated with your employer? We need to know so we can take appropriate precautions as we take it. We will of course keep any such information strictly confidential."
The too-perfect smile seems to falter for a moment as the image of the corporate suit on the other end of the line glitches again. "No, no, nothing of the sort ... unless, I mean, the thieves brought it ... something, onboard. If that's the case, just leave it. My men at the rendezvous point can take care of disposal. Now, if there is nothing else? I look forward to hearing about your successful recovery of the ship."

The feed cuts out with another little shiver of the masking software, and you're left in the silence of the old, smoke-stained office pod. With the mission details now in hand, a few avenues present themselves: Doing some legwork and poking around in the dark corners of 'Dessa City's virtual and physical realities; checking out this Blast Furnace, the bar the contact mentioned; and since recovering a ship gets a lot more difficult if you can't get it airborne, you may want to look into recruiting a trustworthy pilot — or at least one that can be reasonably expected to get the job done in return for a cut of the profits.


Go ahead and narrate how you want to spend the next 12-24 hours in-game as you begin your investigation. Skills like Administer, Connect or Talk obviously could be useful, along with similar Foci, so if you have something you think would fit, go ahead and include a roll.

I think Max planned to roll up a pilot, but if not, or if he's not going to be able to join, you can recruit an NPC easily enough.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Sabrek Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Sabrek Vek »

Talk: 2d6: [3, 4] = 7 Question underlings about word of a ship heist fitting the description
Notice: 3d6-L: [4, 2, 3]-L = 7 Tells that someone is lying about not knowing anything
Punch: 2d6+3: [3, 5]+3 = 11 Joint Locks causing pain until they talk
Before leaving Sabrek says, "I am going to go hit up some underworld contacts." He leaves and heads to one of the bars he used to bounce for, where some of the crime boss underlings he knows hang out. He will make inquiries as to and rumblings about a big score involving the theft of a ship. If he notices any body lying he will get physical. First in threatening them, then doing painful finger and joint locks threatening to break bones if they don't tell them what they know.

Generic Version of Conversation:
1. Sabrek: "Hey *blank* whats up?"
2. Contact: Insert Platitude.
3. Sabrek: "How's the family?"
4. Contact: Whatever bullshit they relate.
5. Sabrek: "I am looking for some guys, bragging about stealing a ship. A free trader. You heard anything?"
6. Contact: No ( They will all say no because snitches get stitches.) If Lying Goto Step 9.
7. Sabrek: "You know anyone that would have that info?"
8. If they say no and are lying GoTo Step 9. Otherwise go to who they say and repeat process.
9. Will grab an a limb or finger and lock it causing pain. "I don't like being lied to. Now I could of opened with breaking some of your joints, but I was nice and asked. It is rude to rebuke such generosity with lies. Now tell me the truth or we see how many joints I can break before you pass out." increasing until it breaks or they squeal. Moves to the next joint, rinse and repeat.
User avatar
Kosi
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Kosi »


Hacking Get General Information (p55 SWN) Looking on the Darknet for anyone wanting to sell a Free Trader on the down low, or any new shipping companies / smugglers with new Free Trader class frigates taking on new clients.
Program 1, Int 2
3d6-L+3: [5, 5, 2]-L+3 = 13


After meeting up with the others outside, Kosi bows to Andrew, Sabrek and Vi while clutching her datapad against her chest. “You’ve done well in noticing the discrepancies in the projector. I think based off of what I’ve found on the line that you were speaking with Kira Gurov of Manticore Industries. That is, unless…” She stopped for a moment, holding on to her red and gold embossed hood as a gust of wind blew by, drawing her attention to a few passerby's that glanced in her general direction. In retrospect it wasn’t the greatest idea to wear ceremonial robes when trying to maintain a low profile, but that was something that Kosi seemed to have difficulty adjusting to ever since landing on Odessa. She had to be specifically asked back when they had done the drug crash to put on something else.

Taking the hint, she lowered her voice and leaned in “Unless that is what they wanted us to think. Something about this was way too sloppy. The security on the line was amateurish and the errors you noted on the projection lead an almost too obvious trail of breadcrumbs back to someone that may be a red herring. Another woman in another room of that building could have replicated the same results. But so far I fail to see the relevance in it so far.”

With pupils that suddenly became noticeably dilated - a trait that would seem unusual for an android - Kosi would slowly run her metal fingers over the datapad while seeming to perk up with excitement. “I will return to our meeting area and listen to the soft and glorious sounds of the data on the lines and see if there are mutterings and musings on the darknet of someone trying to quietly sell a new ship off the books, or of a sudden new free trader class frigate offering to take on equally quiet and clandestine new clientele.”

“But…” A sudden worried look came over her expression as her gaze shifted to each of them “If… If you are all planning to go to the Blast Furnace, you will not leave without me, yes? I have always wanted to go to a bar. It would be wonderful to see how everyone mingles in a social setting.” With her primary concern in all of this being revealed in an awkward manner.
User avatar
Vi
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Vi »


INT 2d6+1: [1, 1]+1 = 3
Such a crap roll. Oh well.

They stood outside.

Vi’s eyes darted about. Exposed and in the open always made her sweat. Too much time in space and definitely too much time on the run.

The wind had whipped up. Both good and bad news as far as Vi was concerned. The acrid smell of the shitty modernized world invaded her nostrils, strong and pugnacious in its assault, but the chill was welcomed. Cooling her nerves and keeping her alert.

Kosi stated she would hit the dark net and Viaara absentmindedly nodded.

Then the beautiful vurt stated: “But…”

The tone caused Vi to looked Kosi.

“If… If you are all planning to go to the Blast Furnace, you will not leave without me, yes? I have always wanted to go to a bar. It would be wonderful to see how everyone mingles in a social setting.”


Vi noted her worried look and concisely made an effort to soften her own usual stoic look. The space pirate, stuck on Dessa with no ship, made an attempt to softly smile as she responded: “Fuu.. ugh. Yeah. Course girl. You hit the dark net and I’ll scout the Blast Furnace, figure the layout and set up a few escape routes then I’ll meet you at the dank hideout. You will be wearing something not red and religious fo’ya info. Relax. I’ll pick up some bar appropriate clothes for you on my way back. Then. Yeah. Reckon the Furnace needs to be visited by two fine, well one fine lady and her abrasive friend. Me. Don’t look at me like I was insulting you. I’m, ugh, definitely the second choice.”

A few hours later, after meticulously analyzing the outside of the bar and having a plan, A, B, C and even D to get out safely if need be, Vi tosses an outfit on the table next to Kosi.

The Blast Furnace is … hot. Well, hawt. Drinks are had. Boys are ignored. More drinks are had. Boys are mildly entertaining. Vi uses her knowledge of spacecraft and pirating time to poke around for information about the Free Rain ship, all the while making sure she keeps Kosi in her line of sight.

Ironically enough for Vi, not to make sure Kosi doesn’t get drunk, drugged and messed over. But. Just to make sure Kosi isn’t harmed or pushed into a situation that the VI would have to bash some heads.

Regardless of how fruitful the game of investigation is, or isn’t do to a little too much drinking and a little too little investigating, Vi grins stupidly as they leave and get back to the hangout. She actually had a fun time.
Daniel - Site Admin/GM of Savage Rifts Agents of Titan
Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
Henry- CS Ranger (Commando) - Rumble in the Jungle
Vi - “Former” Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers

User avatar
Andrew Cofield
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Andrew Cofield »

Andrew walks back into the safehouse, the exhaustion clear on his face. "Well, I
!2d6+2: [2, 2]+2 = 6 or a 7 if using Intelligence instead of Wisdom
with a few people. I used some of my
Observe emotional states in a target. Intense emotions provide a single word or image related to the focus of the feelings.
and did a lot of
Once per game session, shift an intelligent NPC’s reaction roll one step closer to friendly if you can talk to them for at least thirty seconds
. I'm not one hundred percent confident in this info but this is what I have learned."
(Insert GM's info dump)

Parry: 6; Toughness: 7 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Armor, Favored Powers (Wizard), Wizard (Specialist) (Abjuration (Necro, Enchant))



Parry: 5; Toughness: 7(2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Can’t Swim, Cautious, Small, Wanted (minor, former street gang)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Free Runner, Thief
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Tribe of One »

Sabrek's sojourn through the back alleys where the industrial backs up to the port prove fruitful — eventually. No one much wants to talk about stealing starships, considering its one of the few crimes that both Blackwall and the port authority take seriously. But after a couple of dislocated shoulders, a broken wrist and some dental realignment, none his, Sabrek gets some useful information.

"L-l-look, man, ish like thish," the mush-mouthed dealer blubbers, blood and spit falling dangerously near Sabrek's boot. "Blackwall b-b-buthted the Talon like, a month ago. Ain't nobody b-b-boosting thips. But if they did, they gotta go through the Blatht Furnath. Guy there, Ee Eth or thomething. Rewires thit, getth a new code on the thip and everything. The betht."

Andrew's contact at the port authority relays some similar information, although not without Andrew needing to lean on him a bit, picking up on the man's anxiety and correctly guessing he was worried about his bosses learning of his gambling debts. With the right amount of persuasion (and a reminder that Andrew knew enough to make things uncomfortable) the port agent drops the name of one of the agency's white whales: Edgar Shadi, a freelance programmer rumored to be the man all the local gangs went to if they needed some digital security hacked or a transponder code swapped out. Shadi apparently likes to hang out at the Blast Furnace, but Blackwall's undercover goons haven't had any luck getting an undercover in to get anything useful.

Kosi investigation of the dark net produces the most detailed intel. Backtracking a transmission from one of the known local fences, she manages to sleaze her way into a private chat room where an anonymous user — their avatar is only a solid red circle — has been advertising a "salvaged" free trader for sale.

<<She's warmish now, but we've got a *master painter* over today giving her a nice coat of cool colors. Won't be able to tell she's anything but new>> the user posted earlier in the day. Several interested parties have posted but there are no takers yet. The red circle user says they'll be accepting offers for another 36 hours, but want delivery arranged within 48. After doing a little more snooping, Kosi concludes that the red circle user is fairly new to this: There's a flurry of posts seeking access to the private chat room within hours of when the Manticore Industries free trader was stolen, suggesting the group that took it doesn't regularly engage in this type of theft.

Vi and Kosi's visit to the Blast Furnace is a bust, as far as information gathering. The back booths where the fixers and operators usually hold court are mostly empty, though the former pirate and the disguised tech-adept draw plenty of attention from the off-duty dock workers crowding the bar. By the time the pair stumble out the door and back home, it seems nearly everyone in the place has taken notice.

Based on the timeline Kosi put together from the dark net posts, you've got a little more than 24 hours to try to track down the ship before its handed off to a new buyer. Based on the description of Edgar Shadi that Andrew got from his port authority contact, Vi and Kosi don't recall seeing him at the Blast Furnace — although if he was the "master painter" mentioned by the red circle user, he might have still been on site working when they were at the bar.

Go ahead and post next steps and any relevant rolls if they make sense for a particular action.
GM Bennies: 7/7
User avatar
Sabrek Vek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:35 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Sabrek Vek »

Notice: 3d6-L: [5, 5, 3]-L = 10
Talk: 2d6: [2, 4] = 6
Tribe of One wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:52 pm Sabrek's sojourn through the back alleys where the industrial backs up to the port prove fruitful — eventually. No one much wants to talk about stealing starships, considering its one of the few crimes that both Blackwall and the port authority take seriously. But after a couple of dislocated shoulders, a broken wrist and some dental realignment, none his, Sabrek gets some useful information.

"L-l-look, man, ish like thish," the mush-mouthed dealer blubbers, blood and spit falling dangerously near Sabrek's boot. "Blackwall b-b-buthted the Talon like, a month ago. Ain't nobody b-b-boosting thips. But if they did, they gotta go through the Blatht Furnath. Guy there, Ee Eth or thomething. Rewires thit, getth a new code on the thip and everything. The betht."
For once I would just like them to say. "Sure I can give you that info."
"I was sincere when I said I don't want to hurt you friend. I don't enjoy the one thing I am good at. In the future just give me the information I ask for. It is so much easier on everyone. No one will ever know you spoke to me. You and those like you that don't listen to me is why I have to use a sleep aid. But take solace. You are walking away and that is far better than these ship thieves will get. When I get done with them the only way they will go anywhere is in a bucket sitting in a wheelchair." He pulls him straight and takes out a handkerchief and cleans the blood off his face and does his best to clean and straighten his clothes. "Run along now. "

He returns to his colleagues. "Got info on a guy that is the go to guy at chopping ships. Helps get them rewired and reconfigured and hard to retrieve. At a place called the blast furnace. Anyone want to come with me? I have had enough violence for the day. If there is anyway I can get out of cracking skulls at the Blast Furnace, that would be peachy."
User avatar
Kosi
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Kosi »

Even while wearing normal attire, Kosi stood out like a sore thumb while at the Blast Furnace, drawing stares from everyone in the room and making it impossible for Vi to find out anything useful from anyone who had anything to hide. The android seemed to be listening a little too intently to every response given to Vi, which aroused greater suspicion among those in the conversation. Which ironically was just the way she normally engaged in discussions, drinking in every word as if each thing that was said was the most important subject in the world to her at that moment. Perhaps this sort of skill would have been useful with a different crowd, but it certainly wasn’t any help here.

On the way back, Kosi discussed her earlier findings with her companion while tapping her chin with a metal finger, musing idly with a thoughtful expression on her face.

“What if we were to buy the ship?” She asked suddenly. Abruptly waving her hands in front of her as she followed up with clarification. “That is I mean, what if we were to pose as buyers in need of a hasty purchase and a ridiculous offer? Even for back channel purchases, no one buys an item sight unseen, right? Any buyer would insist on an inspection to make sure they aren’t buying something that doesn’t work, or will fall apart on them within the week. I have the contact info for the seller still. What do you think?”

Looking over her shoulder at the bar where they had recently left, Kosi added. “But we certainly can’t be the ones to do it, we’ve made far too much noise tonight and it would make them jumpy. I think you might have drawn too much attention to yourself due to your personable and kind mannerisms Vi. Perhaps one of the others should while we wait at a nearby building?”

Upon returning to their hideout, Kosi would relay her idea to the others as well, making sure to add Sabrek to the list of persona non grata at the Blast Furnace, narrowing down their options further. She did however have several questions for him.

"That is so amazingly efficient! You simply punch people until you get the answers you seek. Does it always work so well? I wonder why no one has thought of doing that before? How many pounds of pressure do you use to make sure that you do not injure them too greatly in the process? Or do you simply do it by rote and feel, having honed the skill over the years? Oh, it might not be good if you go back there since the person you punched might warn everyone that you are coming. Vi and I just came back from there and had little luck finding out anything. I think we need to make arrangements as a buyer first and maybe set up the meet there beforehand. Do you also think this sounds like a good idea?"
User avatar
Andrew Cofield
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Andrew Cofield »

Sabrek Vek wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:49 pm
"Got info on a guy that is the go to guy at chopping ships. Helps get them rewired and reconfigured and hard to retrieve. At a place called the blast furnace. Anyone want to come with me? I have had enough violence for the day. If there is anyway I can get out of cracking skulls at the Blast Furnace, that would be peachy."
Andrew nods, "Yea, that is..."
Kosi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:20 am "That is so amazingly efficient! You simply punch people until you get the answers you seek. Does it always work so well? I wonder why no one has thought of doing that before? How many pounds of pressure do you use to make sure that you do not injure them too greatly in the process? Or do you simply do it by rote and feel, having honed the skill over the years? Oh, it might not be good if you go back there since the person you punched might warn everyone that you are coming. Vi and I just came back from there and had little luck finding out anything. I think we need to make arrangements as a buyer first and maybe set up the meet there beforehand. Do you also think this sounds like a good idea?"
A couple of different times Andrew attempts to interrupt but has to wait for Kosi to wind down (no pun intended) before he can continue. "Yea, that is the same information I was able to get. The chopper's name is Edgar Shadi, though I am not sure how to locate him other than more exploration of the Blast Furnace. I guess..."
Kosi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:20 am “What if we were to buy the ship?” She asked suddenly. Abruptly waving her hands in front of her as she followed up with clarification. “That is I mean, what if we were to pose as buyers in need of a hasty purchase and a ridiculous offer? Even for back channel purchases, no one buys an item sight unseen, right? Any buyer would insist on an inspection to make sure they aren’t buying something that doesn’t work, or will fall apart on them within the week. I have the contact info for the seller still. What do you think?”
When Kosi interrupts again Andrew sits back in his chair and closes his eyes. Most of the group realizes this is his 'calm down and collect your thoughts' position. As she continues though his eyes open and he becomes thoughtful. "That might not be a bad idea. There are a few people I know who are aware of how much I want off planet. I could leak to them that I have heard of a ship about to become available and see if they can make the connection for me. If so that would give us a trusted in as opposed to just offering to dump money on this. It would be more believable if we can get it to work. Thoughts?"

Parry: 6; Toughness: 7 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Armor, Favored Powers (Wizard), Wizard (Specialist) (Abjuration (Necro, Enchant))



Parry: 5; Toughness: 7(2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 10/10
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Can’t Swim, Cautious, Small, Wanted (minor, former street gang)
Edges: Arcane Background (Magic), Free Runner, Thief
User avatar
Kosi
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Kosi »

OOC: Making an executive decision since we’ve been at a bit of a delay with getting posts out. Sorry if this steps on any toes!

”We need to work with their paranoia... Well, no I guess it isn’t paranoia since their concern is justified. I mean we did get caught looking for them. What I mean is we need to work with their legitimate concern that suspicious activity is taking place.” Kosi explained to the others after Andrew gave his thumbs up to the posing as buyers idea. ”I’ll post a private message saying that you... That is the person I represent, was interested in getting off planet while keeping your more less above board but more affordable options open, but that you’re concerned about the amount of noise going on about this.”

Clasping her hands together with a motion that looks like she could barely contain her excitement at the words, she explained further. ”Why, just the other day there were some strange people poking their noses around the Blast Furnace asking about it. How are you supposed to not be concerned with something like that going on? Only a private meet will do I think... I mean you think. But really me, but posing as you. But more like me posing as someone representing you. Also not actually me because I can’t show my face at the location or else they will recognize me. So it has to be you.”

Chewing on her lip for a few moments as she looks around for approval from the others, the slight shifting of her eyes would quickly let any of the more observant ones know that it was more than likely that Kosi had
Program (int) 3d6-L+2: [1, 1, 2]-L+2 = 5
Expert scene re-roll 3d6-L+2: [1, 5, 6]-L+2 = 13
under the assumption that everyone would think it to be a great plan. The best plan even!
User avatar
Vi
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Vi »

The migraine pounded in Viarra’s head. It was bad enough to cause a lot of discomfort and distraction. Listening to the gang talk about how to next proceed she grabbed a bottle off the shelf and rattled the pills in it. Ugh. Even that hurt.

When Kosi paused, asking what everyone thought, Vi grumbled: ”Yes! Yes. Agree. Uh, excuse me…. While you do that I, uh, grak it all, I got a headache.”

Heading to the hideouts fridge she looks for a drink to wash down the pills.

”Kosi, sounds good. Let us know how it goes.”
Daniel - Site Admin/GM of Savage Rifts Agents of Titan
Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
Henry- CS Ranger (Commando) - Rumble in the Jungle
Vi - “Former” Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Lost Ship

Post by Tribe of One »

Kosi's message to the gang works like a charm. Seizing on the idea of a plausible and even somewhat respectable buyer, the ship-jackers immediately agree to a meet. They propose sending a transport to pick up Andrew tonight, then bring him to where the ship is being stored. No weapons, no comms (although nothing's stopping Kosi or Jaxon from trying to rig up something that would escape detection). They're willing to let Andrew bring one other with him, although the amount of heat on Kosi, Vi and Sabrek could make it difficult for one of them to play bodyguard.

As she trades messages, it's obvious to Kosi that the stress and the attention are getting to the thieves. They're on edge, and whoever is on the other end of the "red dot" account gets sloppy, referring to the group at one point as "the Sun." Some cursory searches or a few questions at the corner noodle shop get you the basics about a local gang called the Red Sun operating out near the dock district. A step up from street gangers, mostly involved in custom pharma-dealing, smuggling and protection. Ship-jacking or theft in general are out of character, which fits with what you've seen so far. With a little time, you could probably track down some of their property or other areas of activity.

It also occurs to you that if you're going to repatriate a starship, you're gonna need someone who can fly it. It's been awhile since your crew has worked with a pilot, but you know a couple of dock-side watering holes where out-of-work jockeys congregate, and with a bit of legwork might be able to find one who's at least somewhat trustworthy.

And despite the heat on the streets, hunkering down in the basement safehouse looks like less of an option than ever. As Vi goes for a drink, the compressor on the fridge loudly breathes its last, vomiting up a burbling stream of coolant that adds a sickly sweet, acid aroma to the locker room funk you've all become accustomed to.


Next up:
  • Prepping Andrew for the meet. Roll if you want to conceal a weapon, comms or recording device. Will anyone go with him?
  • For anyone not going to the meet, legwork or surveillance are certainly possible. Let me know what you want to track down.
  • As far as a pilot, if Max is ready to join with his pilot this is a good point to introduce him. Otherwise you all can recruit an NPC pilot, if someone wants to describe that.





GM Bennies: 7/7
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”