Interlude 5: Home Improvement

KahlessNestor

Interlude 5: Home Improvement

Post by KahlessNestor »

Between adventures, when you are at Fort Hope, you have the opportunity to improve the base.

Check out the Resource Rules here.

And what resources you have available here.

There are maps of the fort and the area here.

What can you do: Anything you like. Some options are given below, but if you don’t know what you want to do, Winston or your Contacts will always have ideas to improve things.

Give Orders: Multiple orders can be given, but resources will be prioritized by the Team Leader.
  • Labor: Give your laborers orders on what you wish done. Roll your Labor Wealth die and Wild Die for how successful they are. Player characters may roll Support to aid them.
  • Military: Give Winston orders beyond his basic (protect fort, patrol zone). Roll your Garrison Wealth die
  • Trade: Give Captain Norris, Liz Urzenski, and Whiskey Pete orders what to buy or trade.
    • Requisition Resources
      • Team Leader roll Networking to make your case. Ask for what you’d like. Include rarity modifier. Your number of successes will determine how much of it you get. You may ask for priority, otherwise it will be randomly determined.
      • You may ask for Resources (Supplies, Build, Military, Labor, or Garrison). Or you may ask for something specific (a vehicle, a specific weapon, a piece of gear, NGR chocolate, maybe a building like a comm tower).
        • Items start at lowest/cheapest level. You may spend Raises to increase that level rather than getting other items or resources.
    • Trade Routes
      • William Norris (Castle Refuge): +1 Trade (assign resource)
      • Liz Urbanski (traveling): +1 Trade (assign resource)
      • Whiskey Pete (traveling): +1 Trade (assign resource)
      • Roll the Resource Wealth die you intend to trade to raise another Resource Wealth die

Search for resources. Make a Survival roll. A Success, roll 1d8 on the following options. A Raise, either roll for each success, find a larger resource -1/Raise), or choose a specific option:
  • 1) You found some Salvage. Bump Wealth die of Raw, Supplies, Military
  • 2) You found a Food source, either a herd of animals, a stand of fruit trees, or a good fishing hole. Bump Supply Wealth die by 1. This resource can be used to establish a Farm later.
  • 3) You found a small Wood or stand of trees. Bump Build Wealth die by 1. This can be used to establish a Logging camp later.
  • 4) You find a source of Stone. Bump Build Wealth die by 1. This can be used to establish a Quarry later.
  • 5) You find a Vein of ore or gems. Bump Build Wealth die (iron, copper, etc) or Raw Wealth die (gold, gems, etc) by 1. This can be used later to establish a Mine.
  • 6) You find a group of Refugees. Bump Labor Wealth die by 1.
  • 7) You find a tribal trading post or a small village. Bump any Wealth die by 1. A successful Persuasion roll can establish a trade relationship with Fort Hope.
  • 8) Your choice of above.

When you have written your Interlude, take a Benny.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Tirgal Danvanbor

Re: Interlude 5: Home Improvement

Post by Tirgal Danvanbor »

Tirgal spends a
Per rules, 4 surgeries, with a total recovery time of 4 days 12 hours:
Core Electronics Package:
CEP Install (Electronics w/ Healer) CEP 1d8!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Raise: Recovery Time, 12 hours

Expanded Detection and Security Array:
EDaSA Install (Electronics w/ Healer) EDaSA 1d8!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Success: Recovery Time, 2 days

Wilderness Scout Package:
WSP Install (Electronics w/ Healer) WSP 1d8!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Success: Recovery Time, 1 day

Ultimate Walking Toolkit Package:
UWTP (Electronics w/ Healer) UWTP 1d8!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Success: Recovery Time, 1 day
from his cybernetic surgery while the rest of his friends bustle about looking altogether too busy. No one seems to have time for breakfast, brunch, lunch, second lunch, supper or dinner with Tirgal. He doesn't let it get him down, though.

He studies up on what maps and and sources of wildlife information he can access. Tirgal wants to go exploring, so he focuses on those areas which are hardly annotated or completely unexplored. Then he puts a map on the wall, closes his eyes and tosses his knife at the map.

'North and to the west, then!'

Everyone else seems to defer to Sir Lieutenant, so Tirgal lets the dog boy know his plans before
Survival: 21 - 1 Success and 4 Raises
Choose Refugees - Success +1 Raise
Increase Refugees - 1 Raise
Choose Ore - 2 Raises

(+2 Woodsman, +2 Wilderness Scout Package, +1 from NG-S2)
Survival 1d6!+5: [1]+5 = 6
Wild 1d6!+5: [6!, 6!, 4]+5 = 21

Random Direction 1d6+6: [5]+6 = 11
. Being alone in the wilds is nothing new to Tirgal, and the halfling manages to avoid anything that might see him as a tasty snack. Which is good because Tirgal would hate to have to put the lovelies down by protecting himself.

Towards the end of his final day exploring, he begins looking for shelter from the elements. It looks like nasty weather could be coming, and Tirgal hates sleeping in the rain. He spots the well-hidden entrance to a cave and takes a step inside.

And is promptly put on his behind by a very angry, or scared, and extremely larger humanoid. From between its its legs and deeper in the cavern, Tirgal's new helmet allows him to see a large group quietly huddling together.

Tirgal looks back to the enormous cavern guard before speaking, "Well, ah, I'm not sure what ye are...friend? But me name is Tirgal. Tirgal Danvanbor! Nice to meet ye. I don't suppose ye have dinner cooking do ye? It'd be my pleasure to swap tales with ye and yer friends. Why, I could even help cook...got some tasty treats in me pack. No foot fungus, either, so how about it? Let a fellow up? And what are ye anyhow. If you don't mind me asking, that is, I don't mean to offend."

"Angus, mate." The huge guard shakes his head and guffaws, "Tiny as you are, I doubt you'll be too much trouble or be too much of a drain on our supplies for the night. Got stones the size of melons on you, don't you? I'm a grackle-tooth."

"Oh, no, I assure ye I won't eat all yer food. Just want to rest me feet a spell and nibble on the victuals as one does. Good to meet ye, Angus!," Tirgal answers, "Now, how about ye let me look at the pot and see what we can add to it? We can get to the story-telling while we're at it..."

The refugees were scared at first, and even the gigantic graklie-tooth seemed unnerved when Tirgal popped into the cavern entrance. After meeting the halfling, his steady stream of inanity and storytelling lightens the mood. It turns out there were many more of them than he first counted.

They were refugees from some city, Tolkien it sounded like, and their supplies were running low. Tirgal assured them that he would help them out. It seemed like the kind of thing his new fellowship would do. He went over the details with Angus. The gracklie-tooth was the groups leader and a great warrior.

Once everyone started turning in for the night, Tirgal grew restless and decided to explore the caverns. It was fairly large, but he had seen more impressive networks in his travels. He took note of the veins of metal running through the walls deeper into the cave. Tirgal may not dwarf, but he'd bet breakfast that it was iron and enough to make for a useful mining operation.

Exploring the cavern was becoming boring, so Tirgal headed back to the refugee group to bed down for the night. They all woke up early the next morning, and Tirgal worked together with Angus to get the group to the safety of the base. Hopefully Sir Lieutenant won't be too annoyed with Tirgal for having so many more mouths to feed.

Tirgal Danvanbor, Half-Folk Vagabond
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 7(1); Toughness: 18(10)
  • Brave: +2 to Fear checks and –2 to rolls on the Fear Table.
  • Danger Sense
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Hard to Kill: Ignore Wound penalties when making Vigor rolls to avoid Bleeding Out.
  • Iron Will: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests. The bonus now applies to resisting and recovery from powers.
  • The hero has expert knowledge of the supernatural forces common to Rifts Earth and is trained to exploit their weaknesses. When confronted with a supernatural opponent, Monster Slayers may take an action to roll Occult to identify a foe, its characteristics, and common tactics. The GM may impose penalties for uncommon or unique beings.
    If successful, the Monster Slayer has identified the foe, the GM reveals the being’s weaknesses (if any) and the Monster Slayer’s advice grants allies a +1 bonus to Trait rolls versus such creatures until the end of the encounter. On a raise, the target’s special abilities of note (if any) are revealed, and the bonus to Trait rolls is increased to +2.
  • Sharpshooting is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver (which it does not stack with) and includes the bonus from the Marksman Edge. Sharpshooting applies to all Shooting or Athletics (throwing) actions in a turn, and may be used while moving up to the hero's Pace in a round (but not running).
    Sharpshooting attacks may be used in combination with the Double Tap Edge and firing modes like Three-Round Burst, but not Rapid Fire or other Edges which include attacking at a Rate of Fire above 1.
    : Sharpshooters can move about and still focus their attention on aiming. They are experts at ricocheting shots, bulls-eying thrown moving targets, and other feats of skill using their ranged weapons. When making ranged attacks at Rate of Fire 1, the sharpshooter may either gain a +1 to hit or ignore up to 4 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Illumination, Range, Scale, or Speed.
  • Take 'Em Down: Rifts Earth is full of big mean enemies of all kinds whether they be tanks, dragons, or Techno-Wizardry automatons. When attacking MDC targets with a Mega Damage attack, characters with this Edge add +4 AP to their attacks.

Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/3; Flamespitter PPE: 10/10
Bennies: 8/6; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
Dr. Asterisk
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Dr. Asterisk »

DocBot almost leaps from the vehicle before it comes to a complete stop and begins gathering crates and containers of all sorts.

Zip, Zip, y'all, very busy! I've got to make some stops and I will be back to help with the fortifications post-haste.

Then, as quick as you have seen him move he is gone, ducking in and out of tents and buildings including the quartermaster, traders, bar(s), even carousing a bit with Tirgal and Robert. At one point you notice a moving stack of crates seemingly sliding across the ground, only to double-take and see the small bot under the stack which is easily three times its size.

@Tirgal Danvanbor Well my friend, I don't eat much so I think someone should benefit from the meals that I have been skipping. Care to join me?

Doc. A hands over a case of items to Tirgal.
6 AP grenades

and @Robert, I happened to notice these projectiles just sitting around one of the warehouses and couldn't help but notice how they would fit Matilda there -- uh, no untoward feelings intended but I think you could use these. So I asked if I could have them and got a great deal - where should I put them?
4 mini-missiles
Last edited by Dr. Asterisk on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Asterisk

Bennies: 3/3

Current Wealth: 19,480 Universal Credits
Tirgal Danvanbor

Post by Tirgal Danvanbor »

OOC Comments
Common Knowledge 1d8!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild 1d6!+2: [2]+2 = 4

Persuasion 1d6!: [5] = 5 (+2 Networking if applicable)
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5
Tirgal happily obliges @Dr. Asterisk, "Why, ye never have to ask a proper half folk twice for meal time, or snack time, or even just a nibble of something tasty my metal friend. Shall we?"

Tirgal looks over the munitions with an appraising eye when Dr. A. shows them off, "Hrmm. I'm a simple man, ye know, and think me bow is just lovely. Even I can tell these make a proper boom-boom."

After a good face-stuffing, Tirgal brings one of his concerns up with Dr A. "Ye don't have yerself a good weapon, do ye? Don't get me wrong, sometimes a good stabbing is exactly what you need and I enjoy a good brawl as much as any man. But...well, there's some beasties out there that even I don't even want to touch, though, ye know?"

Tirgal sets out to help Dr. A find the perfect instrument of death. He really can't make up his mind about what would be best. However, he has had many travelling companions and the little vagabond is able to point out many useful weapons. Unfortunately for Dr. A, each suggestion comes with a tale.

When Dr. A decides on a weapon, Tirgal tries to butter up the quartermaster. He offers to wash the vehicles, haul the luggage, cook him a propper meal, and even bribes him with an epic tale. He's willing to do
OOC: Within reason, of course...
to get Dr. A a new, shiny death-dealer.

Tirgal Danvanbor, Half-Folk Vagabond
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 7(1); Toughness: 18(10)
  • Brave: +2 to Fear checks and –2 to rolls on the Fear Table.
  • Danger Sense
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Hard to Kill: Ignore Wound penalties when making Vigor rolls to avoid Bleeding Out.
  • Iron Will: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests. The bonus now applies to resisting and recovery from powers.
  • The hero has expert knowledge of the supernatural forces common to Rifts Earth and is trained to exploit their weaknesses. When confronted with a supernatural opponent, Monster Slayers may take an action to roll Occult to identify a foe, its characteristics, and common tactics. The GM may impose penalties for uncommon or unique beings.
    If successful, the Monster Slayer has identified the foe, the GM reveals the being’s weaknesses (if any) and the Monster Slayer’s advice grants allies a +1 bonus to Trait rolls versus such creatures until the end of the encounter. On a raise, the target’s special abilities of note (if any) are revealed, and the bonus to Trait rolls is increased to +2.
  • Sharpshooting is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver (which it does not stack with) and includes the bonus from the Marksman Edge. Sharpshooting applies to all Shooting or Athletics (throwing) actions in a turn, and may be used while moving up to the hero's Pace in a round (but not running).
    Sharpshooting attacks may be used in combination with the Double Tap Edge and firing modes like Three-Round Burst, but not Rapid Fire or other Edges which include attacking at a Rate of Fire above 1.
    : Sharpshooters can move about and still focus their attention on aiming. They are experts at ricocheting shots, bulls-eying thrown moving targets, and other feats of skill using their ranged weapons. When making ranged attacks at Rate of Fire 1, the sharpshooter may either gain a +1 to hit or ignore up to 4 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Illumination, Range, Scale, or Speed.
  • Take 'Em Down: Rifts Earth is full of big mean enemies of all kinds whether they be tanks, dragons, or Techno-Wizardry automatons. When attacking MDC targets with a Mega Damage attack, characters with this Edge add +4 AP to their attacks.

Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/3; Flamespitter PPE: 10/10
Bennies: 8/6; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
Robert

Post by Robert »

OOC Comments
CJ 1d6!!+2 WD 1d6!!+2 Persuasion 1d6!!+2 WD 1d6!!+2: [5]+2+[1]+2+[1]+2+[3]+2 = 18
Dr. Asterisk
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Dr. Asterisk »

The recently-wizened-to-the-ways-of-politics spider bot makes his way to the quartermaster and traders, intent on acquiring some harder-to-find items.

Modifiers: Fort Hope -2, Tirgal (+1) and Robert (+1) assisting, net zero modifiers:

Bribe of (amount to be determined) for trader/quartermaster requisitions.
Persuasion 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Persuasion 2 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 2 1d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3

Result +1 each

(This shouldn't work but ya gotta dream)
Item SG (-2 modified) Persuasion 3 (acquire) 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3

Item NF (-3 modified) Persuasion 4 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

and the complete waste of benny rerolls but the dreaming is strong in this one:
Item SG (-2 modified) Persuasion 5 1d6!!-2: [19!!]-2 = 17
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Item NF (-3 modified) Persuasion 6 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [8!!]-3 = 5

LOL got both...that shouldn'ta happened.

EDIT: I made a couple errors there - in the bribes I would have gotten 1 higher each and on the second item, first roll I woulda got one less, but the net results are all the same. Math is hard, yo.

Mini-missiles Persuasion 1d6!!-1: [8!!]-1 = 7
Wild 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Grenades Persuasion 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Rerolling grenades
Persuasion 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

OK, if all that above is going to not count for anything, I'll roll this as a military resource instead so it doesn't get lost in the process.

4 rolls - missiles, grenades, snare gun, force field
missiles 1d10!!: [7] = 7
grenades 1d10!!: [6] = 6
snare 1d10!!: [4] = 4
force field 1d10!!: [8] = 8

reroll snare 1d10!!: [6] = 6
reroll force field 1d10!!: [7] = 7

Which opens up a whole bunch of questions since a military resource roll shouldn't be subject to the same settlement size penalties OR a wild die, right? which means with those rolls all are successes except for the snare gun at this point. I spent three bennies in the first set of rolls, so I will do one more reroll for the SG, if needed. Of course disregard this whole edit and use the above if that works.

last reroll SG 1d10!!: [3] = 3

So if the entire first inline section/set of rolls results in waiting for requisition for all of the rare items, this second set should result in the only having to wait for the snare gun. But again, I don't have time to look everything up just want to have it all covered either way. I would prefer to use the first set of rolls as a resource scarcity/networking as described in the trader directions we received.

Last edited by Dr. Asterisk on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Dr. Asterisk

Dr. Asterisk
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Dr. Asterisk »

And finally, since all the hurried item negotiations and delivery gobbledygook only took a couple hours, the Doc sets about searching for resources.

Survival 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Resource discovery 1d8: [1] = 1 Salvage --> Raw? --> Build?

Ya know, I took the liberty of scoping around the area both to and from our last outings and I gotta say, the rock in this area is not worth much on its own but limestone is really good as a concrete mix and this whole area is full of it, with lots of material already broken down and available from the ruins. It wouldn't take much to get those mixes here and we would have a sizeable supply of concrete without a lot of work.

That stuff is also really useful as a soil mixture for future farms, one of several reasons this area has some of the prime-est farmland you're gonna find, I'll bet.

Also, there are plenty of lead and zinc deposits in them thar hills to the North. Lead being one of the few resilient materials to heavy abuse on this planet, we could use some of that as long as we take some, er, y'all take some precautions in handling it.

Dr. Asterisk

Vik

Post by Vik »

Survival 1d4-2, w/+1 from NG-S2
1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0

Vik strolls back into the Legion's fortifications with a spring in his step, expecting the usual snog-and-a-shag with Charlize what he's grown accustomed to upon previous returns. He's hardly had time to drop his kit and go in for a kiss when he's informed, all abrupt-like, that snogs-and-shagging will have to wait: There's been some magical mishap, and Charlize and other residents of the female persuasion have been informed by the camp physician what any sort of intimate action is likely to result in spontaneous fertilization, and unknown results once said embryos make their appearance in the wide world.

Jammed up and twisted, Vik tries to take his mind off the situation working in his garage, but all the pistons and sockets and lubrications are too much. Packing a few bottles of his special brew and a bag of crisps, he heads out beyond the perimeter, figuring a little walkabout may sort things a trick.

At first, it was all cracking: The grog kicked like one of them dewbacks, and no sooner than his crisps were gone but he stumbled into a little faery circle of ley line-infused mushrooms. Dropping a handful of the magic mushes into the grog, he was soon seeing sounds and hearing tastes as rambunctiously fluorescent as would make Ol' Tim Leary quake in ecstatic gesticulations.

It was only after he'd run out of grog that the true extent of his wanderings came to his attention. "Arsehole of the Americas" was a proper sobriquet for the hole what he'd stumbled into, and here he was a regular Chris Columbus, spreading culture and disease among its native populace. Or maybe the other way 'round.

A week later, looking like nothing so much as that Gurgi bloke what muttered about crunchings-and-munchings in that Black Cauldron flick, Vik came stumbling back into camp, raving about bear-arsed cannibal butterflies and some robot chav living under a waterfall made of snozzberries. Too dehydrated to think about snogs and shags, he spends the next week in quarantine, hermetically sealed behind layers of plastic that -- all hail Discordia -- managed to utterly block out the stench of halfer feet what had inexplicably overtaken the fort in his absence.
Vik Donnager
Quick Stats
Human Techno-Wizard
Bennies: 2/3 + 2/2
Adventure Cards:

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (1d12+1), Vigor d6 +2
Pace: 6 (8) (1d6); Parry: 5 (9); Toughness: 17 (8) MDC or 21 (12) with amulet
Hindrances: Big Mouth; Device Dependent; Enemies (Coalition and True Federation); Gearhead Geek (Quirk-OCD tapping); Overconfident; Stubborn.
Notice d8+2, Persuasion d6, Common Knowledge d4
Edges and Abilities of Note: Adept + Auto-Raise for boost trait, Arcane Background (Weird Science) (Devices malfunction on a roll of 1); Arcane Machinist (Gadgeteer) (six times/session, as an action, create a device with 10 PPE, +5 PPE on a raise, using any TW power, -2 per rank above own); Elan; Luck + Great Luck; Machine Maestro (+1 to Common Knowledge, Electronics, Hacking, Research, Repair and Thievery rolls when interfacing with electronics and machines, +2 with preexisting TW and arcane devices); Master of Magic.
PPE: 5/20
Active Effects: No MAP, double Pace and Running, no running penalty; +1d Shooting and one free reroll/round; Imp. Take Em Down and Imp. Signature Weapon (railgun); +4 damage to cannon, +6 damage to railgun
Elennar

Post by Elennar »

Elennar exits Winston's tent and makes her way straight to the tent town that serves as barracks for the garrison. "Soldiers of Fort Hope! The time has come to do away with meager lodgings." She holds up a tablet. "I have drawn out plans for the barracks. Solid walls for solid warfighters. I have also adjusted the watch schedule to allow you time to contribute to the building when you aren't on duty, and with only a minimal reduction of your downtime." The minimal grumblings about a reduction of downtime are quelled when she reads in detail the adjusted schedule. Losing an hour or so of relaxation for a short time is a small price to pay for real housing 24/7. The soldiers are universally on board and throw themselves eagerly into the work.
The labor force, supplemented by some of the garrison, put in
Support - Battle: 1d10!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild Battle: 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Benny Support with Elan: 1d10!!+4: [6]+4 = 10
WD Benny Support: 1d6!!+4: [8!!]+4 = 12
Build: 1d6!!+3: [5]+3 = 8
WD Build: 1d6!!+3: [7!!]+3 = 10
in constructing an upgraded barracks, which will hopefully prevent the garrison from being displaced by the 101st when they are in camp. Elennar ensures the construction foreman is on the right track, then lends her own hands to help where needed, whether it be swinging a hammer or removing the fatigue from the workforce. The end result is a drastic improvement in lodging for the warriors.
Elennar, The Huntress
Elennar, The Huntress
Pace: 6; Parry: 8
Toughness: 16 (8)
Armor: Retrapped NE-C20 Camouflage Variable EBA with overcoat/cloak
Pertinent Edges: Improved Trademark Weapon,
Command, Command Presence, Inspire, Natural Leader, Master Tactician, Hold the Line!
, Elan, Soldier,
Total +2 to hit or ignore 4 points penalties
, Take 'Em Down
Current Status Post
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

+2 Supplies, +1 Labor
Exploring for Resources:
Notice, -2 for not using Survival, +2 Alertness, +2 Sensor Suite:
Notice 1d8!!+2: [14!!]+2 = 16
Wild Notice 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Triple Raise!
4 rolls:
Roll 1: `1d8: [6] = 6 6) You find a group of Refugees. Bump Labor Wealth die by 1.
Okay, for the other three rolls, let's go with a Player's Choice (Food), doubled.
Ryder approaches @Elennar. "Hey, Boss. I noticed that no one's been bucking for a requisition up-chain to Refuge this time around--I had a notion for something we might try for. You may've picked up that I used to be a runner--'smuggler' is the legal term, I suppose. Well, I knew a lotta river-runners, and a fair few've gone down on the river, along with lots of other boats. I'm thinking we get a vessel from Refuge--nothing fancy or heavily armed, mind you; if the Cee-Ess spots us cruising right on their border with a Triton Patrol Cutter, they'll try ta make us salvage, if you get my meaning--but maybe a nice, innocuous barge, ideally with a crane on top for salvage operations. I could probably set up a decent hidden hold once we get it--you know, in case we need to transport something past a Cee-Ess inspection."

*************Later***********

Ryder sets off to the southwest, deciding to steer clear of CS territory for the time being, especially when he's soloing it. As seems to always happen on these runs, he comes across yet another cluster of refugees who've been taking the long way 'round from Tolkeen, though this lot isn't quite as haggard as most--it seems they've linked up with a local band of NatAm hunters, and the group is thus at least scraping by. Still, all of them seem relieved at the idea of the refugees being able to bunk down in Fort Hope going forward, though the Natives seem inclined to see their wards to safety and then head off.

As he's tooling back towards the Fort with a load of refugees and tribal hunters (keeping in mind the Captain's warning to stay on this side of the river, for now), Ryder's sensors start going crazy. Just as he comes to a relatively short, dead-ended gorge, he discovers a pair of Rifts opening along it--and suddenly, a huge herd of buffalo-like creatures (well, except for the second head) come tearing through the Rift at the open end. They stampede along the gorge's length, and then through the Rift at the mid-point--which, Ryder realizes, is not quite large enough to complete seal off the gorge. Thinking quickly, he uses the Cassowary to tip a few boulders down into the gorge.

Sure enough a small slice of the herd breaks off, going around the boulder, and thus missing the 'exit' Rift as they stampede into the dead-end of the gorge, where they stand around, looking a bit confused and eating grass. After about an hour, the Rifts both collapse, leaving a considerable crowd of the critters. The refugees applaud, but the leader of the NatAms is more impressed, saying that this is clearly an omen of favor from the Great Spirit. He offers his men also joining the Fort, primarily as tenders of the new food source.

The deal struck, Ryder heads back to explain to the dog-boy Commandant how to make a good Perfectly Normal Beast sandwich.
Ryder
Veteran Trimadore MARS Operator
OOC Comments
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d4 (d12+1 w/armor), Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6 (8 in Armor); Parry: 5; Toughness: 16 (6) MDC; Strain: 4; Reach: 1; Starting Bennies: 8
Skills:
Athletics d4 (+1 Urban Climbing); Fighting d6; Shooting d8 (+1 w/ Calibrated weapons)
Boating d4; Driving d12; Piloting d4 (All get +2 with Vehicle Interface, ignore 2 points penalty)
Electronics d8 (Free Reroll); Hacking d6; Repair (Sm) d8+2 (Free Reroll, +2)
Thievery d8+1; Stealth: d6 (+1 Urban); Persuasion d4; Common Knowledge d4
Notice d8+4 (+2/Free Reroll vs. Surprise, +2 to spot ambushes/explosive traps, +2 Visual, ignore illumination)
Edges:
Ace, Alertness, Brave, Combat Ace, Connections (Black Market), Demolitionist, Elan, Field Intel, Gearhead, McGuyver, Mr. Fix-it, Reliable, Steady Hands, Thief
Hindrances: Alien Physiology, Big-Boned, Major D-Bee, Major Wanted (FedMagic). Quirk, Stubborn
Cybernetics: Expanded Detection & Security Array, Vehicle Interface Package, Core Electronics Package
Gear:
NG-EX10 Gladius Exoskeleton EBA (+4 vs. Environmental Hazards, immune disease/airborne poison) w/Multi-Optics Helmet
Solar Wyrm Rifle: Range 24/48/96; 60 Shots; RoF 4/3/3 (1/5/10/20); 4d6 AP 4; Heavy Pulse (RoF 1, MD, Snapfire, 3 Shots, +1 Shooting/+3 Damage); Enhanced Targeting (Total Shooting d10+3 before Pulse); Solar Trapping
Grenade Launcher (RoF 1, Damage by Grenade, 18/36/72, Shots 12, Load cycles: AP, Frag, HEx, Plasma)
Impact Maul (2-Handed, +4 to Break Things, Str+2d8+4 MD)
Assorted Grenades and Explosives
Aeon Cassowary
Size: 7 (Large); Toughness: 40 (20) MDC
Handling: +1; Top Speed: 120 MPH
Crew: 2+8
ATV; ECC; STS (Ignore Illumination; +2 Notice w/ Sensors; Ignore 2 points Range/MAP, no Unstable Platform for mounted weapons)
Mini Rail Gun (50/100/200; Damage: 2d10+2 MD AP 6; RoF: 4 (1/5/10/20); Shots: 30; Anti-Personnel, Reaction Fire in Chases)
"Helios" Solar Cannon (150/300/600; RoF: 4/3/3; Shots: N/A; 3d10 MD, AP 20; Solar Trapping; Enhanced Targeting gives total Shooting d10+3
Elennar

Post by Elennar »

Elennar nods at @Ryder. "That is a fine observation. We have water at our backs. Not having naval capability is a severe weakness." She claps him on the shoulder. "Very well. I will submit a request forthwith."
She bows, then heads off towards the communications building. She radios through to Refuge and

Persuasion: 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Benny Persuasion with Elan: 1d6!!+3: [11!!]+3 = 14
Benny WD Persuasion: 1d6!!+3: [3]+3 = 6
to the appropriate channels. "We are languishing without a navy. We do not need a warship, but a vessel for supply, salvage, and evacuation as needed are mission-critical. And we need this yesterday." The reply comes back less than forthcoming. Elennar lays on the elvish charm. She brushes the hair back from her face and it practically gets transmitted over the airwaves. "It would be an utter shame to leave us without at least a barge if our walls are overrun. To never catch sight of the banners over Castle Refuge again..." Before she can finish her sentence, the quartermaster on the other end of the line changes their tune, with abandon.
Elennar, The Huntress
Elennar, The Huntress
Command, Command Presence, Inspire, Natural Leader, Master Tactician, Hold the Line!
, Elan, Soldier,
, Take 'Em Down
Current Status Post
Dorn Giantslayer

Post by Dorn Giantslayer »

Dorn makes his way to the Quartermaster tent, ducking his head to enter without knocking the whole thing down around them. "Hello! My name being Dorn Giantslayer, Recruit Legionnaire! Please to be making

Persuasion Die 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Bennie to try again
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Bennie for one more try
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4

to replace dinky sword with something worthy of Dwarven warrior being such as myself, no?"

Setting the vibro-short sword on the counter Dorn spreads his arms wide. "Perhaps a lovely Impact Maul is being in stock, yes? This would be very fine weapon for Dwarf such as being me, no? Also, please to tell me where I find the making of guns and ammo? Very much want more of super awesome A-P-D-S ammo for very lovely rail gun."

Grinning he pats his KLS Rail Gun fondly indicating the lovely rail gun in question.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Dorn GiantSlayer
Player: Jim
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Steele

Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12
Pace: 7; Parry: 7(6); Toughness: 21(7) MDC; Size: Normal (2) Burn: 7; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d10, Fighting d10, Shooting d10, Stealth d4
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Language (American) d6, Language (Dwarven) d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Science d4, Taunt d6
Spirit: Intimidation d6, Persuasion d4

Dorn Giantslayer

The grizzled supply Sergeant

Wealth Die 1d10!!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Spending a bennie to try for a raise

Wealth Die 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild Die 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9

. After a few minutes and what seems like an eternity to Dorn the Sergeant reaches behind him for a tablet. After even more typing he hands the tablet over to the massive Dwarf with a look that great misfortune could befall Dorn if anything should happen to his tablet.

"Sign here, here and initial here, here and here," the Sergeant grunts pointing at the appropriate places. Dorn gingerly signs where requested. With another grunt from the Sergeant Dorn hands over the vibro-shortsword and the old man disappears back into the recesses of the camp's storeroom.

"Alright son, here you go. Impact maul, one each. She's all yours" with that he hands over the large hammer to a still grinning Dorn.

"Ah, this is being very good!" Dorn takes a couple practice swings without managing to take out a piece of the counter or wall. "I being the thanking of you very much! Please to be having a good day to you!"

Slinging it over his shoulder Dorn turns and walks out of the supply depot whistling what one can only imagine to be some Dwarven drinking song, off key.

Dorn GiantSlayer

Pace: 7; Parry: 7(6); Toughness: 21(7) MDC; Size: Normal (2) Burn: 7; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Language (American) d6, Language (Dwarven) d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Science d4, Taunt d6

Elennar

Post by Elennar »

Elennar dodges out of the way as the giant dwarf comes lumbering out of the depot, barely missing a collision. "Oaf! You nearly crushed me! Mind your steps, stonehead! Don't you have a latrine to dig?" She continues on her way to the barracks, muttering and cursing in Elven.
Elennar, The Huntress
Elennar, The Huntress
, Elan, Soldier,
, Take 'Em Down
Current Status Post
Dorn Giantslayer

Dorn frowns as he walks out of the supply depot to find the elf far too close the public entry for comfort and safety. He weathers her diatribe in silence through as he watches her walk off, he strokes his beard in bemusement. "What is word, la-treen, mean?" he rumbles to himself. After a moment he shrugs his shoulders and resumes whistling his tune with a grin heading towards the training grounds to try out his new hammer.

Dorn GiantSlayer

Skills

Dr. Asterisk
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Dr. Asterisk »

@Dorn Giantslayer It means she thinks you're better suited to, er, excavation underground. Hey, if you're headed to the training grounds I have a couple new toys I'd like to try out, too. Mind some company? You see that the bot's abdomen is bulging in all directions with pistol grips sticking out of several pockets, easily doubling the total size of the critter.

Dr. Asterisk

Dorn Giantslayer

Dorn looks down at @Dr. Asterisk and cocks an eyebrow. "Eh, why Sergeant Elf want dig mine here in camp? That seem very strange idea, yes? But is true that elves always be thinking the strange ideas, no?"

Shrugging, Dorn grins at the diminutive bot. "Come, little metal bug friend! Time for the training, yes? We go!" With that Dorn strides off in the direction of the training grounds, whirling the maul around his head, bellowing "Air falbh thèid sinn chun smash agus sgrios agus spòrs mòr eile!".

Dorn GiantSlayer

Skills

Return to “Adventure Forum”