Kinsentite Blades

Beowulf85
Game Master

Kinsentite Blades

Post by Beowulf85 »

I recently awarded a player a kinsentite blade of choice. In palladium they're typically just slightly stronger than an equivalent vibro blade, typically +3 damage with some exceptions.
Should we just stick with +3 damage as a rule of thumb?

An alternate possibility is + 1 die type or +1d4, but I think those are a little more powerful as they can both ace.
GM Universal Bennies: 2
Merlaggon
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Kinsentite Blades

Post by Merlaggon »

In savage worlds, a +1 is the equivalent of a die improvement. A new d4 if the equivalent of +3 on average.

Personally, I think an improved die type or at max a +2 should be added.
Merlaggon
Alternate Characters: Hans Greuber, Growler

Bennies: 0/3
  • [*]Base Amount
    -2 due Reroll on Hungry Helpers
    -1 due Extra Effort on Armor Power
ISP :20 / 10
PPE :38 /20
Active Psionic Powers: None
Active Magic Powers: Armor (+4 Armor due Raise, -1 to be hit by Ranged Weapons)
Combat Edges: Quick (Shapeshifter's Claw)

Pace: 6 (Fly 12); Parry: 8
Toughness: Dragon Form - 47 (24) 43(20); Size +8
Toughness: Human Form - 15(6); Size 0
Notice: D6
Default Form: Dragon
OOC Comments
Adventure Cards:
[list][*]Enemy (Patron) - "Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”[/list]

Worn Armor (Human): CA-1 Heavy Deadboy Armor
Weapon in Hand (Human): None
Weapons Carried: Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser Pistol, Chain Greatsword, TW Light Missile Launcher, TW Heavy Railgun (0/120 Shots)

http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=69
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hello,

I agree +3 is lot.
Savaging Rifts Ideas wrote:Also be careful about adding flat “+x” bonuses to dice damage; it’s a great way to represent a particularly powerful entry in a particular category, but those flat bonuses are very powerful and should be used sparingly.
I don't see why Kinsentite has to do more damage, power creep and all that, maybe add another point or two of AP to represent how sharp it is?

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Beowulf85
Game Master

Re: Kisentite Blades

Post by Beowulf85 »

Kisentite just always did slightly more damage in Palladium, though I don't think the systems it appeared in featured AP, so that might make sense. The best chart I know of is in Heroes Unlimited - Aliens Unlimited P. 165, they're all more powerful than equivalent CS Vibro Blades (GMG P. 124). Kisentite is on Rifts Earth and is features in some of the books (for instance, Sourcebook 4 P. 124).

The vibro blades in Aliens Unlimited are even more powerful, but I tend to think that's because they are alien tech, not CS vibro blades.

*note, misspelled it, it's 'kisentite', not 'kinsentite'.
Sayeen Gabbersleaf

Post by Sayeen Gabbersleaf »

Insource book 4, pg 124, it mentions the weapons are amazingly sharp and balanced. I could see an aditional 2pts of AP and +1 to parry being enough to give a mellee weapon a kinsenite trapping.
Sayeen Gabbersleaf
ISP :30/2
Active Psionic Powers: None
    Pace: 7/7; Parry: 8 ,; Toughness: 13/13(6); Notice D8, Stealth D6,
    Worn Armor:
    • Cyber Knight medium armor(TW): +6Armor, +1 toughness
    • Cyber Armor: +2 toughness
    Weapon in Hand: Psychic Maul: 1d4 +3d10 AP 8
    Combat Abilities
    • improved dodge: -2 ranged attack, +2 to evade area affect attacks when appropriate
    • Cyberkenetic Combat: -2 to hit if attack is purely technology based
    • Champion: +2 damage & toughness vs supernatural evil
    • Giant Killer: +1d6 damage vs creatures size 3 and larger
    OOC Comments
    Bennies:2 Spent:2
    -reroll to avoid brain burn
    -reroll fighting attck vs beasty in power plant
    +1 for group posting quickly
    Adventure deck cards: Cutting in Line: 3 initiative cards
    Accounts: Sayeen (primary), Iron Tick (secondary)
    Venatus Vinco
    Bronze Patron
    Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Looks like

AP and Parry might be good approaches to use over additional damage and seems to fit with the game philosophy and the avoidance of power creep.
    Savaging Your Ideas wrote:Avoid adding more damage...Remember that other defining factors—such as Range, Rate of Fire, Armor Piercing (AP) value, etc. can help create variances between one kind of laser rifle and another.
    VV
    Signature
    Conrad

Post by Conrad »

plus more difficult to damage
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

Cool, so +2 AP and +1 Parry is an acceptable standard for a kisentite counterpart then? I'm happy with that, can we make it board official?
    High Command
    The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

For approval. Kisentite weaponry should not do MD without some help. But it is just as expensive as vibro-weaponry regardless. I listed options because that was the intent in HUGG (the book they are from)

Kisentite Weaponry
    Applies only to melee weapons: Due to its hardness and density, weapons made from kisentite have increased armor penetration. Due to their relative strength and near indestructibility, they are easier to parry with.
    (May not be combined with the melee weapons from the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide on page 92. May be modified by TW modifications.)
    • +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits
      +1 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits
      +1 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 6000 credits
      +2 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 7000 credits
      +2 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 10000 credits
    Tales of the 17th SOG
    "In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

That looks great. Validate this please. :)
    Venatus Vinco
    Bronze Patron
    Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote:
    • +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits
      +1 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits
      +1 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 6000 credits
      +2 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 7000 credits
      +2 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 10000 credits
    Essentially super-tech modifications? Makes sense. If they don't do MD this is ok.

VV
    Signature
    High Command
    The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Yeah, Kinsentite Blades definitely do not pass the walks like a tank test. Note they could parry MD weapons all day long and never be hurt. And all it takes is Greater Smite to make it MD. Or a TW mod. I could definitely see them as a preferred basis for TW weapons.
    Tales of the 17th SOG
    "In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

I was going to write up an extensive post about them probably doing MD, but then I reconsidered after I re-read everything. If smite/TW modifications can strengthen them then I would assume they can also be made in to vibro weapons for non magical characters?

Everything here looks great, and I like the idea of them being something more creative to play with/modify rather than them being more powerful on their own.

Would prices be similar? In Queenston Harbor they are very inexpensive (2,000 to 4,500 credits), but I imagine that elsewhere they would be many times pricier as they are generally only available through/from Queenstown Harbor. Much like the other items I've put up for validation, these are rare.

Also, if anyone wants to take a look here is the spreadsheet I wrote up comparing Palladium Kisentite to Palladium Vibro Blades.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
    Pender Lumkiss
    Diamond Patron
    Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

So Kinsentite Long Sword

Str+d8, 8lbs, AP2 +1 Parry-Cost 3000 creds.

Maybe just do the same as the sci-fi companion and multiply cost by 10.
    Field Team Six Bennies
    3/6
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:So Kinsentite Long Sword

I have the companion but am not thoroughly familiar with it. Can you tell me what you're referencing?
    Pender Lumkiss
    Diamond Patron
    Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Beowulf85 wrote:
    Pender Lumkiss wrote:So Kinsentite Long Sword

I have the companion but am not thoroughly familiar with it. Can you tell me what you're referencing?
    I believe in the gear section it says you can use items from the sci-fi companion at 10x the cost.
    Field Team Six Bennies
    3/6
    High Command
    The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Kinsentite is not well suited to being made vibro because of its rigidity. It is well suited to being enchanted though. I don't think Kinsentite NEEDS to be MD either. It's impossible to break very tough, but that doesn't mean that a normal person can use it to cut through tank armor. A normal person CAN use a Chain or Vibro weapon, or an Impact Hammer to bust through a tank armor all day long though, assuming they could use them effectively. In Aliens Unlimited, where the "metal" was first introduced, it has no special ability to bust through A.R. so I think the choice to make them M.D. in Rifts was wrong.
    Tales of the 17th SOG
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

High Command wrote:Kinsentite is not well suited to being made vibro because of its rigidity. It is well suited to being enchanted though. I don't think Kinsentite NEEDS to be MD either. It's impossible to break very tough, but that doesn't mean that a normal person can use it to cut through tank armor. A normal person CAN use a Chain or Vibro weapon, or an Impact Hammer to bust through a tank armor all day long though, assuming they could use them effectively. In Aliens Unlimited, where the "metal" was first introduced, it has no special ability to bust through A.R. so I think the choice to make them M.D. in Rifts was wrong.
    Thinking about it that actually makes a lot of sense. I would argue that the material itself is mega damage, but that doesn't mean you can deal MD with it (unless your normal physical attacks are already MD).
    Beating on a tank with a mega damage hammer won't do anything to the tank because it's relying on the character's own strength for the damage, but vibro and chain weapons have a way of powering up their own attacks so characters with normal strength can use them to do mega damage.
    Kisentite is basically just a super strong metal/alloy/rock that can make super sharp blades, but without the necessary strength a character can't force a blade through metal, regardless of how strong or sharp the blade is. That being said, I would think that creatures who can naturally deal mega damage with their unarmed melee attacks would be able to do mega damage with these blades. Does that make sense?
    High Command
    The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Well sure, but that's because their strength, and not the weapon, has the MD quality.
    Tales of the 17th SOG
    Corrigon
    Bronze Patron
    Bronze Patron

Post by Corrigon »

basically it could add a little bit of extra damage and have the trapping of indestructible, but does not do MD
    GM bennies 6/8
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

High Command wrote:For approval. Kisentite weaponry should not do MD without some help.* But it is just as expensive as vibro-weaponry regardless. I listed options because that was the intent in HUGG (the book they are from)

Kisentite Weaponry
    Applies only to melee weapons: Due to its hardness and density, weapons made from kisentite have increased armor penetration. Due to their relative strength and near indestructibility, they are easier to parry with.
    (May not be combined with the melee weapons from the Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide on page 92. May be modified by TW modifications.)
    • +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits **
      +1 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 3000 credits **
      +1 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 6000 credits **
      +2 AP = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 7000 credits **
      +2 AP, +1 Parry = Standard Melee Weapon Cost + 10000 credits**
    *May also do MD if the character wielding the blade is capable of dealing MD with an unarmed melee attack.
    **More expensive when outside Queenston Harbor, which is the only known source for these blades on Rifts Earth. Queenston Harbor soldiers get a heavily discounted price, 2,000 credits for bayonets and 4,000 credits for swords of the highest quality available. Standard Melee Weapon Costs found in SWD and SFC.
    High Command
    The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Well if you want to make them even more expensive. Personally I thought just paying for the Kinsentite mod was expensive enough. And by weapon, I meant the ones out of SWD and SFC. NOT TLPG.
    Tales of the 17th SOG
    Beowulf85
    Game Master

Post by Beowulf85 »

High Command wrote:Well if you want to make them even more expensive. Personally I thought just paying for the Kinsentite mod was expensive enough. And by weapon, I meant the ones out of SWD and SFC. NOT TLPG.
    Excellent, we'll go with those prices. I'll edit my proposal. I take it you approve because you wrote it up. As long as no one disapproves we'll get it moved over in a few days.

Return to “Archived or Abandoned Items”