17. Before

Pursuit
Game Master

17. Before

Post by Pursuit »

Conditions

The heat in the swamp is the same as always. Today is a dryer afternoon than you have had in some time, and the (relatively) clear ground afforded by the playground means fewer windbreaks and a mild, pleasant breeze.

Nightfall

The local Psi-Stalkers come at night, responding to Norona’s signals, and gather up their missing children, and the bodies of their dead. The leader of the group, a woman named Shak’ara, pulls Norona aside and says, ”The ethereal children. They are usually good hunting, but we have never heard of them in the numbers you describe. I don’t want to destroy a good source of food, but perhaps we would be best off to destroy what is left of these ruins so they cannot come back. I may return with more of my hunters tomorrow and take care of it. Be on your guard, hunter. Things are wrong in this swamp, and they only get more wrong the direction you are heading.”

Ever Onward
Once the party moves onward, you travel with very few complications. As you get closer and closer to your destination, the air becomes more still, and you see and hear fewer instances of local fauna. Eventually, the trail becomes difficult to follow as the land is steadily submerged, until you find yourselves at the “edge” of a vast wetland, with trees and plants sticking up from the water for as far as you can see, but with no solid ground in front of you.

The water is oddly still, with no waves to speak of. And with no wind to rustle the plants and trees, there are very few disturbances on its surface.
swamp.JPG
Now What?
Now that the party has reached the point where it must rely on the amphibious features of its vehicles, how do you want to proceed? Is there anything you want to do before crossing the water?

For Norona, what are you doing with your hover cycle and your wolf? Or has your wolf been traded in for a dino?
For Norona
If Norona should go out on the deeper water at any point, make a Spirit roll. On a failure, Norona will take a level of Fatigue as the wrongness of the environment seeps into and assaults his connection with the swamp.
Before my next GM post, I will need to know how the party is proceeding, in what vehicles everyone is riding, and in what order. Don’t read into this. It’s just normal GM stuff. Nothing to worry about, I am sure.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Norona

Re: 17. Before

Post by Norona »

Stillness

Normally the swamp is teeming with life and growth. As things before still Norona finds the silence to be almost deafening. The spirit of the swap, it's life giving pulse, is being driven out by something dark and prevalent.

Zoffa, the dire wolf ever at his side, makes a low growl. Ears back and teeth barred. Yet, Norona can feel the animal's fear. This is not the place for the living. Taking a knee, Norona looks the big wolf in the eyes. To on lookers the elf seems to make a series of grunts and growls but Hoffa hears and comprehend.

This is where we part ways old friend. I may not return from this venture. If I do, the spirit will lead me back to you. There is much to hunt and packs to join.

Waving his hand over the animal's head Norona imparts a blessing, You are marked as a friend of the warden of the swamps. You will be respected but don't push your luck.

Zoffa replies with a sad whimper as Norona stands and sets his face toward the jungle castle.

"Friends. We are nearing the beginning of the end. As is our custom I can fly ahead and Mark out a trail. But, perhaps I should not go alone."
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

As they travel through the swamp, even Toshiro longs for some type of sound as the odd silence of what should be a place lush with the noises of nature presses in on his hears. What's worse, he notices that it makes their passage sound particularly loud.

When they reach the point that it is too deep to travel farther outside the vehicles, Toshiro uses the time they take before launching out into the glades of the swamp to try and muffle the noise created by their passing, He knows the vehicles can't be silence completely, but some tinkering with the motors and exaust systems can certainly reduce the distance from which they can be heard approaching.
Rolls Stealth - 10, Repair - 9 (whichever would be most applicable)
Stealth [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:0[/dice:rzg3qomh] (woodsman)
Wild [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:1[/dice:rzg3qomh]
Ace! [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:4[/dice:rzg3qomh]

Repair [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:2[/dice:rzg3qomh]
Ace! [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:5[/dice:rzg3qomh]
Wild [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:3[/dice:rzg3qomh]
Ace! [dice:rzg3qomh]56996:6[/dice:rzg3qomh]
Norona wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:46 am "As is our custom I can fly ahead and Mark out a trail. But, perhaps I should not go alone."
Toshiro noticeably eyes the hovercycle @Norona uses. It's clearly made for one person. He cocks an eyebrow at the Half-Elf before indicating that @Sierra Mackenzie probably the best candidate to accompany the scout. After all, she is the only one who can fly.

When they are ready to embark, Toshiro opts to jump into the Mountaineer with Conrad, far more comfortable in vehicle without all of the magical bells and whistles. Unless @Conrad wants him to drive, Toshiro jumps into the turret on top of the boat. He's probably best suited to being so expose. His armor makes him nearly as tough as the Mountaineer after all..
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
Sierra Mackenzie

Post by Sierra Mackenzie »

Dinosaur Swamp/Jungle Castle
Morning
Hot, humid, buggy, everything difficult terrain (knee deep water)
Round 0

Sierra was, at least, grateful for the breeze. She still lay curled up in the APV with every move agony, but she endured. She’d learned after a beating from one of her mom’s boyfriends not to show weakness or pain, so she gritted her teeth and toughed it through.

When Toshiro indicated she should go with Norona, she nodded. “Yeah, fine. I’m no wilderness guru, though. But I guess I can blow shit up,” she said. “Let me get my shit.” She got up, moving gingerly, and headed back to grab what she would need. Not much. Just a whole lot of moonshine to make the pain go away.
Everything Burns
[dice:18inwpf2]57077:0[/dice:18inwpf2]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice:18inwpf2]57077:1[/dice:18inwpf2] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.

(1 Wound, no penalties)(Day 2)
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 14 (6), ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Injury: Guts, Broken: Agility reduced to d4 (goes away when healed)
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(6)
Encumbrance: 25/28
Battle Hardened (armor): +2 to Soak
Combat Reflexes (armor): +2 to Unshake
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Improved Nerves of Steel (armor): Ignore 2 points of Wound penalties
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 14 (6), ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
Respect: +2 Charisma bonus when dealing with residents of Avanzada Seca
SLOOT Suit: Armor can become transparent.
ISP: 26/40
Bennies: 4/3
Adventure Card
  • Turncoat: Your hero somehow convinces or bribes a minor foe to perform a small favor—such as helping the hero escape, revealing the location of the “boss,” etc."
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Rally: Play to cause all allies in sight and/or hearing to immediately lose their Shaken status.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
ISP: 35/40 (5 locked for armor)
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Conditions:

Unnatural stillness continues to permeate the air, and the wildlife remains silent.

Scouting

@Norona, on his hovercraft, and @Sierra Mackenzie, in the air, head out over the water first. Sierra must be careful to avoid setting the local flora alight with her flames, and finds it to be something of a challenge to fly smoothly among the trees and vegetation. Norona, for his part, is beset by a struggle of spirit, as his connection to the swamp feels somehow wrong the farther he goes from solid ground.
Instructions for Nora and Sierra
Both of you please make Notice rolls at -2 for your scouting efforts. This will also be a situation where Sierra’s Danger Sense Edge could come in handy, so please make one Notice roll and report the results for the Scene (at -2) and for Danger Sense (at an additional -2, for -4 total). If that doesn’t make sense, please just ask.

In addition, Sierra must make an Agility roll to avoid setting any trees ablaze, and Norona must make a Spirit roll to avoid Fatigue as his bond with the swamp is assailed.

The Waiting

Once I have the results of Sierra and Norona’s rolls, we will move to the next scene.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Sierra Mackenzie

Notice [dice:2hbixfko]57196:0[/dice:2hbixfko]
Wild [dice:2hbixfko]57196:1[/dice:2hbixfko]
Ace [dice:2hbixfko]57196:6[/dice:2hbixfko]
Danger Sense [dice:2hbixfko]57196:2[/dice:2hbixfko]
Wild [dice:2hbixfko]57196:3[/dice:2hbixfko]
Agility [dice:2hbixfko]57196:4[/dice:2hbixfko]
Wild [dice:2hbixfko]57196:5[/dice:2hbixfko]

These need to all be -1. I forgot I haven't been healed yet. And that Agility roll needs to be redone.

d4 for busted guts; -1 Wound
Agility
Wild
Last edited by Sierra Mackenzie on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Norona

Post by Norona »

Notice (+2 from Alertness/-2 from scene)
Notice [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:0[/dice:1tz6cc3e]
Wild [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:1[/dice:1tz6cc3e]

Danger Sense (+2 from Alertness/-4 from edge and scene)
Notice [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:2[/dice:1tz6cc3e]
Wild [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:3[/dice:1tz6cc3e]

Spirit [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:4[/dice:1tz6cc3e]
Wild [dice:1tz6cc3e]57197:5[/dice:1tz6cc3e]
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

Kuikku rouses from his reverie just as Sierra and Norona start their scouting run. He can see that Sierra is still in a bit of pain but knows there is not much that can be done. As they approach the limit of visibility, not far through all the trees, he waves the vehicles forward. Let's go see what we can find.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Sierra Mackenzie

Okay, it won't let me effing edit in rolls, so new post then.
Agility 7
d4 for busted guts; -1 Wound
Agility [dice:1f8o50zq]57221:0[/dice:1f8o50zq]
Ace [dice:1f8o50zq]57221:2[/dice:1f8o50zq]
Wild [dice:1f8o50zq]57221:1[/dice:1f8o50zq]
Ace [dice:1f8o50zq]57221:3[/dice:1f8o50zq]
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card

Return to “Adventure Archive”