01 - A Needed Respite

What's come before
Ndreare
Savage Siri

01 - A Needed Respite

Post by Ndreare »

You know it was only 6 days, but the skirmishes have been one after the other since you arrived making it seems like an eternity since you were back at Castle Refuge reading the recruitment offer to bring you into the 99s.

Remembering
After receiving your acceptance notification the process felt expedited as you were assembled in a hallway outside of the briefing room. Waiting for your turn in the que. Orders straight from the Major was not something most units get as orders normally came filtered through junior officers.
Unsurprisingly Major Deschesne’s words were brief and to the point taking only a couple minutes to deliver the briefing and send you on your way, but somehow you could still tell that he honestly wish he had the resources to send more. “I want to thank you personally for signing up for this mission. There are a lot of people out there that still need help and unfortunately our resources are not at such a level yet that we can help all of them. But we can help some of them. You see a number of threats identified have been from locations so diverse that we have not always been able to get help there in time or to locate the people who need help.
“That is where you come in. We have an agent in the field named Becon To help us address this we have an agent in the field identifying some of the most imminent threats and helping give us direction to tackle them.
“Gentlemen you mission is going to take you away from the Castle and the support infrastructure we provide for a potentially very long time. Because of that I wanted to have a chance to meet you personally and before you leave.
“Your mission is to go out there, find as many refugees as you can and get them to safety. Most will not be interested in the long trek back here, but with the activity of the Xiticix in the region of so many Coalition Sate units still in the field hunting down refugees it will be a challenge to see them through to a safe area. Do what you can, and preserve as many lives as possible.”

Upon completion he handed the orders over to the Sergeant and personally walked you to the departure point. From there is was a long series of hurry up and waits as the need to get logistics settled and supplies organized was paramount.

They sent you through the rift with a small APC packed full of so much feed and supplies you could have gone a month without restocking or stopping. But the Xiticix stole that in an ambush on day two. Not you were making do and traveling at half the speed predicted. This cave was a godsend, the first safe and defensible shelter since you arrived. As you work on setting up camp and preparing some water for your rations you have a calm enough bit of down time to get to know each other.
Click to Read
While playing this game you will frequently have to make notice roll. Your first post in any given seen should include a notice roll. Occasionally I will also ask for an additional roll with a modifier.
If any of your dice ace, you may edit you post to add additional rolls as long as you do not edit the dice tags that have already been rolled.
It is a good idea when someone else has posted to give them about ten minutes before responding as we often see errors in our post and want to edit them.

This is an opportunity for you to post comments, get a feeling for your character and have some in character role play while you wait for me to post on the first.
Your characters have been deployed for 6 days and are reduced to about 9 days rations and about 3 days water. This is you first safe place in that time, so most likely even while visiting with each other one or two of you will be at the mouth of the cave keeping watch.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: 01 - A Needed Respite

Post by Hardin »

Notice 7
Notice: [dice]0[/dice]
Wild: [dice]1[/dice] plus ace: [dice]2[/dice] = 7

“Let me tell you about one time I managed to not screw everything up despite my best efforts,” Hardin said, his odd accent adding a bit too much twang to the “i” when he said “everything”, while also being simultaneously too singsongy to sound properly improper.

“I was on my way to Castle Refuge for the first time,” he continued in his odd drawl, “an I had to cross a fair amount of Coalition territory to get there. Mostly, it wasn't a problem, but I ran into a couple of patrols here and there. I tried to keep to myself, keep my hat on when I wasn't wearing a helmet, that kinda thing. You get used to doin’ that. Course, I suppose most of y’all already know about that,” he gestured at the other non-humans listening. “Worked fine, fer the most part. Tussled with a patrol or two, but I didn’t give them nothin’ more than bloody noses and broken bones, and I got along pretty well. I tried real hard not to kill nobody. Seemed like the right idea at the time.”

He cut off abruptly and turned his head left and right, as if looking for something. He stopped and stared right at L.C., or rather right at his left shoulder, where the Queen stood. She was little today, about maybe the size of a housecat, which was only polite considering where she was standing. She stared up at the ceiling of the cave, transfixed by something, so Hardin looked up, too. The ceiling looked just like ceiling to him, so he looked back at her and cleared his throat to get her attention. After a moment, she turned her head to smile at him, and waved her hand regally. He took this as a sign that he should continue, so he smiled back and went on.

“Anyway, I had just left a saloon in Missouri and, I kid you not, an honest-to-good land mine blows up not three feet from me. Tore the wall right off the saloon, blasted my kit to pieces and knocks me flat, right? An’ ‘fore I could get up, this crazy fella in black armor jumps on top of me, cuttin’ at me with knives stickin’ out of his arms and not sayin’ nothin’.”

“Well, I wasn’t dead, so I turn on my ‘kinesis and throw him right across the street into a building, which softens him right up. I figured maybe I hadn't kept to myself as good as I thought, because he was clearly Coalition, and it looked like he had been waiting on me. His armor was different, but it was still black and it still had a skull on it,” Hardin gestured at his own helmet, which was black with a death’s head visage and spikes protruding from the top. It also had a crude, obviously hand-painted white smiley face over the skull’s face. Hardin continued, “so it didn't take no genius to figure out.”

“He got back up and shot at me with a laser pistol, but those never work much against me. I drew my shard pistol and got a couple of good shots in, and that slowed him down. We traded rounds a few times before he decided he needed a new strategy, and he threw a grenade at me. I still had my ‘kinesis going, though, so I grabbed it and threw it to his other side, lettin’ him shield me from the worst of it.”

“Anyway, to make what shoulda been a short story long, fella’s ID said he was a Lieutenant,” Hardin pronounced this word with a long pause between syllables, so it sounded like two separate words: “Lew-Tenant,” “Jason Fry. Found out later he was part of the Coalition Special Forces, and they must be special, cuz I ain’t heard of ‘em before or since. I don’t know why he was alone, or exactly how he found me, but I took what was left of his armor and took my leave of Missouri as fast as the horse could carry me. It wasn't as fast as I'd have liked on account of me having so many extra holes in my body thanks to that mine, but the docs got me patched up fine. And, wouldn’t you know, I stopped runnin’ into bandits ‘most entirely once I started wearing this crazy getup” he said, gesturing at the armor, “so I just kept on wearing it.”
OOC Comments
Interlude draw was a seven of spades: tell a story about a victory (new rules) or about an injury (old rules). Tried to get both in the above.
Hardin and Jane
Hardin a Half-Elf Psi-Slinger
Parry: 5
Toughness: 10(3)
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d12, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Charisma: -2 (Half-elves treated as outsiders)
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Jane a Bandito Arms Robot Mustang
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12
Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Pace: 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
Parry: 6
Toughness: 20(10) MDC
Notes/Special Features:
  • All-Terrain: +2 to Riding checks
  • Sensor Suite (+2 to Notice, power armor sensor package)
  • Kick does Strength + d6 Mega Damage
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Expanded Detection and Security Array (Danger Sense Edge and +2 to Notice)
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Miles RAD Radoslav

Post by Miles RAD Radoslav »

Notice Crit Fail
Wild die [dice]1[/dice]
Listening to the Major's briefing, Sir William's mind drifted back many years, to the last time he joined an organization, seeking greatness.

“Come on, Billy, you got this.” The muttered words were barely audible over the howl of the winds as Billy Mahan reached up again to grope for a handhold on the red stone cliff. He had been climbing for more than an hour now, and every muscle in his body ached with the strain of hauling himself up the nearly vertical face. The sun beat down on his head, his wide brimmed hat a casualty of the climb - it had blown off his head only a few dozen meters off the ground.

“You got this, Billy,” he urged himself on, reaching upwards for the next handhold… as one foot slipped out of a crevice in the rock. For a moment he dangled in the air by one hand, 200 meters above hard stone. Panic drove his gorge into his throat, and he struggled to control his breathing. Slowly, he brought his feet back up, seeking out a grip on the cliff face. Only after securing his foot and handholds did he pause and exhale sharply. “You got this.”

Three more handholds, then four, and his hand reached a ledge. He hauled himself onto the flat surface and lay face down, panting with exertion. A glowing sword point appeared before his eyes, and he looked up to see a cyber knight standing over him. “I understand this is where I go for training,” Billy said.

Six days later, Sir William sat at the back of the cave, eyes closed, deep in meditation, almost completely unaware of the conversations around him.
OOC Comments
Spades - a past victory. Also, apparently Sir William is completely oblivious to whatever is going on at the moment.
Rad
Character Name: Miles "RAD" Radoslav
Parry:8/7, Toughness: 13/5
ISP:
10 /10
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
Sephia

Post by Sephia »

Notice 6
Wild: [dice]1[/dice]
Sephia leaned against the cave wall as she listened to Hardin's tale. She was short for an Altara Warrior Woman at five foot eight, but that was still above average in comparison to humans. Her blond hair was kept in a short bob with bangs in front to either side, framing her face. She wore a defunct optical visor which matched the blue and gray color tones of her cyber-knight armor. The armor itself carried a number of scratches and scorch marks as testament to her time served during the Tolkeen conflict. On her belt was one of her few personal possessions: a data disc player given to her as a gift by her mentor, Elphyra, in celebration of Sephia earning her title as a Cyber-Knight. She touched the device idly, Hardin's storytelling reminding her of the gift and its meaning.

Elphyra had always been an avid reader. For as long as they had traveled together, the Cyber-Knight was never without a book to fill the quiet time during a journey, whether it was a file stored digitally on her field computer or an actual physical book. Sephia herself could not read, since the computer screen was just a blank flat panel to her radar senses. Sometimes, she could pick up on the slight indentations in the physical books but not enough to make out the writing clearly, and she probably would not have been able to make sense of the words even if she could. One day, after they had been travelling together for some time, Sephia asked what it was that Elphyra was reading.

"It's called Asteroid of Doom, it's part of the Galaxy Force Five series."
Elphyra had explained, "They're a band of space adventurers, fighting to free the known universe from the evil Grojesk Empire."

Elphyra was particularly fond of the series, partly because she was curious about outer space - a realm largely inaccessible from Earth without journeying through a rift - and because she enjoyed their tales of hope in the face of insurmountable odds. Eventually, Elphyra began reading her books out loud to Sephia as they journeyed together. Sephia initially found some of the tales - particularly the Galaxy Force Five series - frivolous and naive, but they had a certain charm to them that grew on her.

During the customary celebrations after her initiation into the Cyber-Knight order, Elphyra had presented Sephia with the gift of the data player and a small collection of discs she had been able to acquire. The discs contained spoken renditions of some of the books Sephia had enjoyed the telling of, as well as a few she had not yet heard of before.

"To keep you company when I'm not around." Elphyra had said, and at the time Sephia had assumed she was referring to the likelihood that their respective duties might separate them. Now, she wasn't so sure. She had come to suspect, towards the end of the Siege of Tolkeen, that Elphyra somehow knew her time was running short. Perhaps she had experienced a vision dream; Sephia had heard that was something that happened to Cyber-Knights, though she had not yet had one herself.

The device itself was low on power presently, and Sephia had no way of charging it since their arrival and the subsequent loss of the ATV. She hoped very much to be able to recharge it and perhaps someday find some more discs to listen to. For now though, it served as little more than a memento for her lost friend.

Listening to Hardin tell his tale also reminded her of those earlier journeys with Elphyra and that made the Altara crack a rare, albiet wistful smile.
OOC Comments
Interlude drawn was 8 of Diamonds: tell a tale about something your hero wants (or already has).
Sephia
Character Name: Sephia
Parry:6, Toughness: 15(6), Tech suffers -2 to hit
ISP: 10/20 | Bennies: 3
  • Boost Trait (self only): Increase any trait by 1 die type. 2 on raise.
  • Deflection (self only): -2 to be hit by Ranged and Melee. -4 on raise.
  • Healing: Remove 1 wound. 2 on raise.
  • Smite: Give weapon +2 damage. +4 on raise. Active
Combat Edges:
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore off-hand penalty.
  • Champion: +2 damage and toughness vs supernatural evil.
  • Martial Artist: Never considered unarmed or subject to Unarmed Defender rule. Adds +d4 to Strength roll on successful unarmed attack.
  • Mighty Blow: If joker drawn, x2 total damage on successful melee attack.
  • Quick: Discard and redraw initiative until higher than 5.
  • Two-Fisted: Roll attacks for each hand separately, ignoring multi-action penalty.
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

Billy Borg is, without a doubt, a full conversion combat cyborg. The large reinforced frame paired with the engineered economy of motion is unmistakable.
That said, Billy Borg is eleven years old. The most obvious reminder of that is the synthetic child's voice. Most people find it to be....unsettling.

Billy Borg doesn't talk about himself a lot. Mostly he asks Questions. A typical Billy Borg question begins as he waits patiently to be acknowledged next to or behind the person to be questioned. Once recognized, he then asks his question. After hearing the answer he normally wanders off without comment.

The following are just a few of the questions that Billy has asked his companions at least once since embarking on this journey:

"why don't Cyberknights have cybernetics?"

"Do Robohorses have dreams?"

"What temperature do minds melt at?"

"when you speak to machines, do they want to know your name?"

"how do you keep all those combat drug IVs from coming out when you fight?"

"If you were born blind, then why don't you get bionic eyes?"
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
Parry:7, Toughness: 20(8),
Combat Edges:Rock and Roll
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
Bennie: 4
  • +1 GM Reward
Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

Notice: [dice]0[/dice] Blind, 1,200 ft radius radar
Wild: [dice]1[/dice]

In her early days the sense of unity of purpose and feelings of harmony that came while acting with her sisters made her life worth living. Her people were made to serve their creators acting as one mind and body. After she was freed she held onto what little remained of the feeling while traveling with Sasha, but that too came to an end. When helping others she feels a sense of purpose but performing tech work at Castle Refuge hasn’t given her sense of belonging.

Looking around the cave during Hardin’s tale, Erin began to really consider her connections to the other members of the 99. She saw a child sacrificed then reborn but still hopeful enough to want to help the world. A young human who acted just as Sasha did and traded the possibility of a long life so that others could have a better life. Two men with former CS gear, one a former member the other was hunted by them, now both fight to help DBs. The Baron a charming gentleman whose easygoing inquisitive nature and everyman ability to fit in is something that Erin would like to emulate. A sister Alatrian who has accomplished the inconceivable and became a Cyber-Knight The dedication to righteousness required of her to accomplish this is inspiring and humbling. Meditating at the back of the cave is Sir William a new Cyber-Knight whose enthusiasm for heroics and decorum Erin finds infectious.

This group of individuals was not created by by a group of oppressors following a blueprint and making a race to serve them but instead grew from the actions and connections of the members. In each of their pasts the reflections of other teammates can be found. While they may have conflicts or disagreements this team would accept Erin as one of their own because she was one of them. The sense of connection Erin had in her early life had returned, this is what she was always seeking. Her new family would write their futures together.

A smile came to her with the thought of family and she went to sit next to her new little sister.
“Sephia I want to show you something. This is a computer I modified and if you need to access the data on your drive, I’ll be happy to teach you how to use it.”
OOC Comments
Diamonds—Desire: Tell a tale about something your hero wants (or already has). It might be a material possession, recognition, a political goal, or even a trip he wishes to take to some amazing destination.

-"All sentient beings and some nonthinking items have dreams?"

-"I introduce myself because it is polite protocol to provide signal identification. In many cases when we talk the connection is deep enough that station ID isn't necessary."

- "I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all" While connected to an electron microscope.
Erin Sol
Character Name: Erin Sol
Parry:6(8)*, Toughness: 13(7)[14(7)]*
* Increased abilities from TW device

Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue: 0/2
PPE: 15/15 Master of Magic
  • Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
  • Speed: Missing
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
Current Gadgets Adventure Card
None

Bennies 5/3
Miles RAD Radoslav

"why don't Cyberknights have cybernetics?"

Well, Billy, Cyberknights have a unique relationship with technology. Thanks to our training and psychic abilities, we can sense technological activity in a way that helps us counter and evade it. That's part of what made Cyberknights like Lady Sephia here so effective against the Coalition in the Tolkeen War. Soon I hope to prove my own sword-craft in battle as she has proven hers.
Rad
ISP:
10 /10

Sephia

Post by Sephia »

Erin Sol wrote:A smile came to her with the thought of family and she went to sit next to her new little sister.
“Sephia I want to show you something. This is a computer I modified and if you need to access the data on your drive, I’ll be happy to teach you how to use it.”
Sephia had not interacted much with any others of her kind since she had betrayed the Splugorth. Not in a friendly manner, at least. She'd had to face the occasional attack from minions of the Splugorth seeking to recapture or kill her for desertion, but she hadn't met many like her who had also left their masters service. Even after arriving at Castle Refuge, where she understood there were a few others who had joined the Legion, she had not encountered any of them because they were out in the field already.

However, now she was in the same team as this one, Erin Sol. Her feelings about this circumstance were...conflicted. She was elated to meet another who had found their way to freedom. But she also felt ashamed because she had slain her own barge sisters to win her freedom. She could remind herself that it was to free the slaves, not herself, that she had turned on them, but it did not entirely assuage her guilt.

Yet here Erin Sol was, sitting next to her, offering to teach her the use of her customised computer in a clear attempt to reach out and connect with her. Sephia found she could not refuse the offer, despite the shame burned that burned within her, "I would like that, Erin Sol. I am curious, how does the interface accommodate our...unique perspective?"
BILLY BORG wrote:"If you were born blind, then why don't you get bionic eyes?"
Billy had asked her previously why she did not get bionic eyes, to which she had responded, "Because I do not need eyes to see. In some ways, my own senses allow me to see more than I might otherwise. Besides, as a Cyber-Knight, I cannot install any cybernetics."

That being said, her lack of eyesight did make the operation of devices such as computers more difficult for her, which is why she tended not to bother with them.
Sir William Mahan wrote:"why don't Cyberknights have cybernetics?"
It seems her earlier answer to Billy's question had led to another, this time posed to Sir William.
Sir William Mahan wrote:Well, Billy, Cyberknights have a unique relationship with technology. Thanks to our training and psychic abilities, we can sense technological activity in a way that helps us counter and evade it. That's part of what made Cyberknights like Lady Sephia here so effective against the Coalition in the Tolkeen War. Soon I hope to prove my own sword-craft in battle as she has proven hers.
Sephia bit her lip, holding back a sharp retort for the young Cyber-Knight to be careful what he wished for. Her memories of the war were still too fresh, and none were particularly pleasant. She forced herself to ignore the young man and focus instead on her fellow Altarain and her computer.
Sephia
Combat Edges:
  • Martial Artist: Never considered unarmed or subject to Unarmed Defender rule. Adds +d4 to Strength roll on successful unarmed attack.
  • Two-Fisted: Roll attacks for each hand separately, ignoring multi-action penalty.
Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

Sephia wrote: "I would like that, Erin Sol. I am curious, how does the interface accommodate our...unique perspective?"
First I replaced the keyboard with two gloves facing outward you can sense them on the top. Inside the palms and fingertips of the gloves are tiny membranes that can raise, lower, heat, cool or vibrate to transmit information. With practice you could learn to read any textfile just by feeling the changing patterns in the fingertips. The heightened senses we share make learning this easier than it is for most races. For now though since your data is audio you can connect one of the computer's cables to your devices ports to listen to your files with out draining your power. Let me provide a little mental energy to start it up and program the gloves to interface with the device. Inside them now you will feel the same keys you recognize from your data player.

Erin realizing her voice was getting a little too excited showing Sephia her device she takes a pause and a breath adding

If you would like to feel the words while you hear them I can have the gloves sync a braille reading with the audio.

After setting Sephia up Erin starts to step away so that she may listen in private if she wants then realizes
She has never watched a holovid. Sasha was amazed the first time I showed one to her.

When things calm down some, if you are interested in watching a holovid or seeing an image reproduced from a visual file I can set the screen to transmit a small scale electromagnetic disturbance that will register to us as a faint but distinct image. Since you are not a telemechanicly attuned psychic the reception will not be as clear as it could be but it still it is a novel experience.
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
Nomed Dercas

Post by Nomed Dercas »

Notice 6
Notice: [dice]0[/dice] Wild: [dice]1[/dice] Plus ace [dice]2[/dice] -1 tranquility penalty Total: (6)
Nomed stepped back into the cave, away from the entrance. He walked over and tapped Sir William on the shoulder letting him know that it was his turn for guard duty.

He shook off the rain and looked around the cave at his companions. This aint what the stories are like ’round The Castle. The heroes were supposed to win the day, not have their ride stolen and be forced to take shelter from the weather in some dank cave after a fighting retreat.

“Cheer up guys, we’ll show those bug fuckers what’s up in the mornin’. There aint no way they drug our APC far without leaving a trail of some kind. We just gotta to find ‘em and this time we’ll be the ones doin’ the ambushin’.” Nomed smashed his fist into the palm of his hand to accentuate the prospect. The thunder outside boomed as if in agreement.

The heavy rain continued as Nomed walked over and set his rifle against the cave wall. He leaned back and brought one foot up to rest as he relaxed. He visibly shivered as the Tranquility Cocktail™ kicked in. The whole world was a little duller now that he could totally relax and let others keep a lookout, and that was A-Okay by him.

Being two months shy of 20 years old made him the youngest member of The 99s, aside from the kid cyborg. As he listened to the other’s talk he thought about his limited experience since his transformation.

Seemingly without any prompting Nomed started talking to no one and everyone all at once. “This aint my first team ya know. Well, this is officially my first assigned team, but I went out one time after I turned on the whole “Juicer” thing. Training was soo boring. I got tired a bein’ told; ‘Stop asking to leave Rook.’ ‘You can’t leave the compound without a Sergeant.’ ‘You need to finish your training before you join a SET.’ What training? I traded my life for these sweet, sweet, drugs, what more do I need to train? I’m a fuckin’ super hero! Fast? Check! Strong? Check! Flight? No, but I do have a sexy hovercycle with a nuclear fuckin’ engine. About three weeks in, after a long day of marchin’ ‘round and practicin’ and shootin’ and talkin’ and scoutin’ I was up at night, like I always am these days, and I heard Beacon’s most recent broadcast: ‘To all Tomorrow Legion Teams in the field, your mission profile references are: 11 6 13 8 Queen of Clubs 18 13 2 Jack of Spades 20 10 7 21 5 4 6 5 Queen of Diamonds 18 19 10…’ This was it! This was my chance to help!” Nomed paused while the others listened. The silence lingered, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Just as everyone assumed he was done, Nomed picked up right where he left off.

“I broke out my Legionnaire’s manual and deciphered the code as fast as I could. I left The Castle that same night and headed towards the coords of the village that needed relief. ‘Nomed Dercas, Legionnaire Extraordinaire is on the way!’ I took off on my hoverbike leaving the moon shrouded Castle behind me. I see now what they were talking about... what a ‘rookie’ truly is.”

“The SET wasn’t expecting reinforcements but were happy to have the extra hands. Turns out, I don’t know dick about repairing a water system. Nobody died when the mated rhino-buffalos showed up, but Sgt. Bruce “Boss” Granger wasn’t too happy when I tried to shoo them away. Corporal Mortimer “Morty” Mart, Specialist 1st Class Selene “Jazz” Benson, and Specialist 2nd Class James “Gizmo” Whyte rounded out the rest of the squad. A week went by, hard work, but uneventful. On the last day of the repairs, a large group of Pecos Bandits stumbled upon the town. Their leader was out for blood and they had a fuckin’ Titan TR-001 that scared this shit outa me, literally. Apparently, “Jazz” knew the robot armor pilot from way back and recognized the tattoo patterns on the Titan. Luckily, they were headed deeper into CS territory for some serious raiding. and she helped point them towards the last known position of the closest CS outpost. Having finished the repairs to the town’s water supply, the mission was basically over and we headed back to The Castle. A few of the villagers came back with us preferring the safety and security that The Castle and the Legionnaires provide. Two days from Castle Refuge was when the wild vampires ambushed the group.”

Nomed got real quiet when he reached this part of the story. Speaking barely above a whisper he continued. Four villagers died in the first few seconds of the ambush. I watched two of them tear a woman’s body in half before “Morty” cut through them with those silver glowing swords of his. “Gizmo” pulled out some kind of techno-grenade from one of his pouches, threw it, and it exploded in a ball of sunlight. When I could see again two more of the wild vampires were gone. “Jazz” burst into flames, her entire body! She looked over, screamed, and melted three of the fuckers with an insane fire blast. I tried to fight back, but nothing I did seemed to hurt the vamps as they cornered me and advanced for the kill. “Boss” almost died saving my ass from the vamps… They say he’s going to make a full recovery, mostly. Only one of the villagers survived the trip back, a guy calling himself Canterlope.

Nomed drifted off again for a bit before finishing his tale. “We ran the rest of the way to The Castle with our wounded in tow. Upon returning I thought they were going to kick me out for sure. Major Deschesne himself took me aside for my debriefing. After that day, I vowed to serve and uphold the ideals of the Tomorrow Legion. I would train as long as it took to face the real horrors that ravage the planet outside our protective walls. Two months later we all left as the newest SET, the 99s, and now we’re stuck in the shitty cave hiding from bug people.” Nomed’s sword glinted in the firelight as he drew it from the magnetic sheath on the back of his armor, “I also silvered my fuckin’ vibro-blade and never leave home without wooden stakes.” Returning the sword he also patted the bandoleer of wooden stakes secured to his breastplate.

Heaving a big sigh Nomed blinked and looked around as if realizing the whole group was watching him for the first time. “Cheer up guys, we’ll show those bug fuckers what’s up in the mornin’. There aint no way they drug our APC far without leaving a trail of some kind. We just gotta to find ‘em and this time we’ll be the ones doin’ the ambushin’.” Nomed grinned broadly and leaned back against the cave wall, closing his eyes. The sound of the pouring rain filled the cavern.
OOC Comments
• Clubs—Tragedy: Describe a tale of tragedy or misfortune from your hero’s past, featuring one of his Hindrances if possible. If the teller has a dark secret of some kind, hint strongly at it, drop clues, or otherwise give the rest of the group a glimpse into your hero’s dark side during your narrative.
Character Summary
Nomed Dercas

Parry: 7; Toughness: In Armor 14(6) or in vehicle 17(8); Pace: 16(d10); Burn: 10(d10)
Adventure Cards: We Have The Talent - You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.(54)
+3 New Quarter
+2 Field Report
+1 Joker (06 An Unwanted Encounter)
-1 Extra Effort Agility Test (06 An Unwanted Encounter)
-2 Reroll Damage (06 An Unwanted Encounter)

Attributes
Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d10, Vigor d10

Skills
Shooting d10, Fighting d8, *Notice d6, Stealth d6, *Tracking d8, *Survival d8, Persuasion d6, Piloting d4, Throwing d6, *Streetwise d8, *Forgery (Common Knowledge) d6+2

Active Effects
+2 on all ranged attacks
-2 to be hit as long as Nomed is aware of the attack**
+2 to Tracking, Stealth and Survival in the wilderness
Nomed requires only half the normal amount of sleep and has +2 to resist fatigue
-1 to all Smarts and Smarts-linked skill rolls(*) in non-combat/low stress situations
On the first round of combat Nomed does not receive the benefit from Uncanny Reflexes** or Quick**
+2 to Survival rolls related to land navigation
+1 to Survival checks where food gathering is concerned
+1 to Healing checks

Combat Edges
Split the Seconds: Grants an extra action each round.
Dirty Fighter: +2 with all Trick Manuvers
Quick: Whenever Nomed is dealt a 5 or less in combat he may discard and draw again until he gets a card higher than 5.**

Primary Weapon
JA-11 Energy Rifle
  • Range 30/60/120
  • Damage 3d6
  • RoF: 1
  • AP: 4
  • Shots: 60
  • Weight: 7
  • Notes: As an action, switch to fire an ion beam (use stats for NG-57) or have laser do Mega Damage (uses 10 ammo per shot and applies Snapfire penalty) Integrated scope offsets two points of Range and/or Darkness penalties. Advanced technology makes this weapon extra effective against armor, giving it +2 AP.)
  • Ion Beam
    • Range: 12/24/48
    • Damage: 1-3d6+1
    • AP: 2
    • Notes: Ion weapons grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long.
  • Long E-Clips: 2
Notable Equipment
  • Grenades(assorted)
  • Silvered Vibro-Sword
  • Wooden Stakes
  • NG-S2 Survival Pack
  • Infrared Distancing Binoculars
  • Translator
  • Internal Repair System
  • NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle
Baron McVey
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Baron McVey »

Notice 6
Wild Die: [dice]1[/dice]
Conditions: Danger Sense.
Baron sits quietly in the Cave, a crying child sitting in his lap. Baron tries to comfort the child, but knows there isn't much he could do, he'd likely be the same way if he were in her shoes. Baron looks about the area and considers the situation that brought him here, but his thoughts go farther back.
McVey's Brain wrote:The small room in the back of the Tap house smelled of stale beer and sweat, but little could be done about it, it was soaked into the woodwork. At a small table cluttered with papers, tools and a partially disassembled revolver, sat a man. His features were both human and alien, He had long black hair and deep brown eyes, but where his nose should be was two nostrils on a flat face. This wasn’t an uncommon look among the Quick-Flex, an alien species trying to make it’s place in a post-apocalyptic world. This particular Quick-Flex was a man by the name of Caron McVey, and he would be the unlikely protagonist of this story.

Baron slowly put a wire brush down the barrel of the revolver, a work of beauty, silver and gold with exquisite filigree carved into it by the hands of a master. Baron continued to clean the weapon with what could be called a gentle touch. Once Baron seemed satisfied with his work, he began the slow process of reassembling the revolver, each part rechecked for fit, like they had been for hundreds of years and many owners before. Though Baron seemed to be paying careful attention to his work, his mind was elsewhere. Off to the side was a hastily drawn blueprint of a manor house, and several pages of notes. Baron spins the wheel of the revolver hearing the satisfying clicking it makes when put together right. Baron sets the revolver to the side and flips the page he had been reading. ”All but impenetrable.” He says quietly to himself.

Baron looks away from the notes and grabs a carton of ammunition. Inside are over a dozen brass cased .44 caliber rounds, of which he selects one and chambers it into the revolver, following this with five others. Again Baron gives the wheel a spin and snaps it closed. Setting the gun down on the table once more, he stands up from his chair and makes his way to the dresser. A low basin and a pitcher rest there for his use. Baron uses the wash basin to clean his hands of the gun oil and wash his face. On the ratty looking bed lay the clothes and armor he intends on wearing this evening. A low profile suit of composite body armor lies next to a finely tailored suit. A utility belt is hung from a post at the foot of the bed, slightly lopsided from the sword sheath weighing it down. Baron dresses slowly, making an effort to look his best as he was taught by his mentor Lord Faris a few years prior.

The end result was that of a modern southern gentleman, an uncommon sight in the Colorado Baronies. Baron checked his belt one last time before picking up the revolver from the table and giving it a few twirls on his dextrous finger and holstering it. ”I reckon it’ll do.” Baron says to himself as he makes his way outside the room, making sure to lock the door on his way out. On the other side of the door was a cozy looking tap room already half full in the mid-afternoon. Baron looked to the bartender and smiled, before sidling up to the bar. ”Ben I’ll take a beer if you don’t mind” Baron produced a few coins and set them on the bar top. The bartender ben nodded and grabbed a glass to pour some room temperature beer in. A few sips later Baron observed what was going on around him. A trio of men, miners by their looks were playing cards in the corner, a few farmers were at the bar were drinking for their lunch, and a cyborg sat quietly in another corner a half full mug of beer in front of him on the table. Nothing interesting. Baron thought.

Baron quietly finished his beer and set the mug on the counter. ”Later Ben.” Baron says as he gets up and leaves. Outside the temperature is high and dry, with a slight breeze from the east. Baron places his stylish hat upon his head and walks out into the dirt road. Baron hadn’t been in the town for too long, he walked in looking for his next score, and soon found out that the people of Richardson had a strong dislike of their Mayor. Another day fo research concluded that the Mayor was a cattle baron who ruled the town like his own private fiefdom, caring little for it’s citizens other than another source of income. It was around then that Baron decided that robbing the Mayor would be a good idea. Luck being what it was the Mayor was having a soiree tonight, Baron planned on crashing the party and stealing a collection of valuables.

Baron’s walk took him past the Mayor’s home, a sprawling three story affair that resembled southern mansions of the late past. Though this particular building boasted a well designed and very modern security system, and a small army of well-trained guards. Impervious to the average person, but Baron was if anything far from average. Baron considered his plan as he made his way to a nearby cafe, boasting the best coffee and teas this side of the Mississippi. After ordering a coffee, Baron sat down at one of the exterior tables and watched the populace walk by.

A few hours later as the sun started to dip beyond the horizon, Baron got up and made his way back towards the Mayor’s house. As Baron had figured the crowd was starting to gather and it would be prime time to get himself inside. A few quick hand gestures and a polite bump, and Baron had an invitation to the party. Smirking he made his way inside, not even glanced at by the security detail looking at invitations. The interior of the home was lavishly decorated, almost to the point of gaudy, the Mayor wanted everyone to see his wealth. Baron slowly made his way across the room, taking in the sights, when he came across two things he adored almost as much as stealing from pompous rich folk. Off to one side was a few tables set up for poker, while off to the other side was a breathtaking beauty of a woman.

Knowing this early wasn’t the time to strike, Baron made his way to the woman, figuring what harm could come from flirting. She had just finished talking to an older gentleman when Baron approached. From the look on her face she wasn’t repulsed by Baron at the very least. ”Good evening Mademoiselle.” Bron opened up with. ”Oh an educated gentleman are we.” She said with a smile and a playful gesture. Baron smiled back and noded. The two of them began to talk, nothing of substance, but friendly in nature it was during this conversation that BAron found out that the woman, Rosaline, was the Mayor’s wife. Eventually the conversation had to stop, she had others to speak to, bit she commented that she would look forward to meeting again.

Baron turned his attention to the poker tables, and made his way there. One of the tables only had three, so Baron approached that one. ”Pardon me Gentleman, would you mind if i joined for the next hand?” Baron asked with all the charm he could muster. They nodded and Baron sat down. They were playing five-card stud and as it happened it was the high stakes table. Baron couldn’t have been happier. At first Baron played conservatively just to get a read on the others, whom he found out through ongoing table conversation that included the sheriff, the owner of the bank, and the mayor himself. Wonder's do not cease. Baron thought as his play style became more aggressive, winning far more hands than he was losing. Baron could see that this was annoying the others, so he made up an excuse and made his leave. It was nearing the time for him to act anyways.

Baron walked the interior of the party space and made mental notes as to where the guards were and how they moved. With this knowledge, Baron made his way to a particular hallway and slipped past the guards there. Being as stealthy as he could be, Baron made his way to where he had figured the Mayor’s office was. Picking the lock was childsplay to Baron’s nimble fingers, allowing him to slip inside unseen. The office was decorated even more gaudily than the rest of the house, which wasn’t too much of a surprise to Baron. He quietly walked the perimeter of the room looking for some detail that would seem out of place, he soon found two.

The first was a painting that was mounted on hinges, behind it was a wall safe. Baron looked the safe over and spent several long and aggravating moments cracking the safe. Inside was piles of gold jewelry, deeds, and stacks of credits. All of these items went into Baron’s pockets. The second thing Baron found out of place was a bookshelf, it seemed oddly shaped in Baron’s opinion. A more detailed investigation of it, showed that there was a secret switch that caused it to swing open like a door. Behind it, Baron would find the true evil that was the Mayor. The room beyond was a laboratory of sorts, designed for spellcraft of some sort. Baron quickly made an inventory of the items and concluded that The Mayor was a necromancer. Baron began grabbing a few choice items, when he heard the door open to the office. Shit! Baron thought as he stuffed the last items into his pockets and made for the door.

Just inside the office area are three people, the mayor and two of his security guards. The look of surprise pretty much covered each person’s face. This was quickly followed by looks of determination and rage. The guards spread out to the sides while the mayor began weaving a spell. Baron flipped from his position to put the Mayor’s desk between himself and the attackers, this saved his life as bullets and a jet of flame scorched where he was once standing. Baron from his crouched position drew the two weapons he always carried, and ornately crafted revolver and a equally well crafted vibro-sword. From the other side of the desk Baron could hear the Mayor bellow. ”Kill him you fools!”

Baron leapt to action vaulting the desk and landing a kick into the chest of the one guard while firing a shot at the other. The guards tried to shoot Baron again, but missed, while the mayor began weaving another spell. Baron dove from the guards and landed a blow on the mayor with his silver bladed vibro-sword. The mayor hissed in pain as Baron continued past him and back into the hallway. Chaos erupted in the halls as guards moved to intercept Baron and the crowd scattered. Baron leapt from a second story balcony, grabbing the crystalline chandelier an d swinging in a long arc that put him much closer to the exit. His landing would have likely been more painful had he not landed feet first on one of the mayor’s guards, flooring him instantly. Baron continued his run dodging and returning fire. I’m gonna have to skip town if I survive this Baron thought as he barreled out the main entrance, and right into an awaiting car. Baron barely had time to react as the car lurched forward and began speeding off. It took Baron several long seconds to realize that the driver of his getaway vehicle was none other than Rosaline, the Mayor’s wife. ”I needed a good reason to flee that brute.” She said with a smile.

Baron laughed, Rosaline laughed, and they drove off into the sunset.
The memory brought a smile to his face, it was shortly thereafter that he made his way to the Tomorrow Legion and the Ninety-Ninth. It was Billy's questions that took his mind off the situation. Damn strange to put a kid in a Combat Borg chassis.
BILLY BORG wrote:"why don't Cyberknights have cybernetics?"

"how do you keep all those combat drug IVs from coming out when you fight?"

Damn that kid is a philosopher for sure. Baron thinks with another chuckle. "Those are questions for the ages kid."
Baron McVey
Character Name: Baron McVey
Parry: 9, Toughness: 6 (14)
Bennies 4/4 1 Golden Benny
Bennies Spent On: Benny Gained from Joker
Benny spent on Damage Reroll
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense (Notice Check -2 to perceive danger)
  • Quick (Re-draw cards under 5)
  • Ambidextrous (No off hand penalties.)
  • Two-Fisted (Make two attack rolls w/o multi-attack penalties.)
Miles RAD Radoslav

Notice: 10 [dice]0[/dice], Wild Die [dice]1[/dice], Ace [dice]2[/dice]

Sir William stood at Nomed's tap and moved to the cave entrance, setting down his meditations and re-focusing on the outside world. Assessing the terrain outside the cave, he found what cover he could and unslung his laser rifle with a faint grimace of distaste. Combat at a distance was not his path to greatness, but with refugees to protect, he needed to be able to engage any potential enemies at the maximum range possible. He summoned his Cyber Armor as a precaution and settled in to his turn on watch.
OOC Comments
Re-rolled Notice based on actively shifting from meditation to watchkeeping
Rad
ISP:
10 /10

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I like that there is a refugee already.
Player Opportunity
I will offer a bonus bennie for a post from one of you telling me how you ended up with a child, but no other refugees in the last 6 days. Is her mother MIA, KIA or unknown?

Her name is Amber, she is 'almost four'.
Provide a who, what and how for an extra bennie.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Notice 9
[dice]0[/dice],[dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice]
L.C. speaks up as Hardin finishes. "The reason you haven't heard of those guys is you're not supposed to. Be glad they only sent a mundane assassin after you. He was sloppy though. No way you would have survived a properly placed mine, not even with telekinetic shielding. Just be glad it wasn't someone like me who was sent. Hard to use powers when they are bring nullified. That's why they trained and changed kids like me. I started out a normal Dominator...that's Mind Melter for you civilians, but they subjected me to things until my latent abiities surfaced. Now I can stop abilities on an instant instinctive level that doesn't even require thought. Usually it'd be a Psi team they'd send after one like you. Makes me wonder if you were a target of opportunity, or even the wrong guy in the wrong place. Far as command would care, he'd have died in a random bar fight. I mean, it happens. As for the armor, the ones who look for easy marks aren't going to go after some guy using spec forces armor as a trophy, and the ones that could take you weren't looking for you, but also don't give two shits about the armor."
"212 degrees, fahrenheit." He rattles off without thinking. In truth all flesh would melt at that temperature, but it applied. Only afterwards does he realize the question might have been rhetorical. "I mean, theoretically. Though that's not why they call them Mind Melters. They call them that because they melt the ability of others to resist their influence. That's one of things Psi-Nullifiers like me are meant to stop."
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

Billy Borg is almost always quiet as others talk.
As conversation happens in the cave, Billy is methodically using compressed air to blow grit and hardened Xiticix ichor out of the chain and gear assembly of his bicycle.

Each time someone begins to speak he immediately cuts off the loud air tool. He sits motionless except for his arm which smoothly but mechanically glides back to the "home" position, the point of reference for the beginning of his task.

This leads to some awkward starts and stops during Nomeds story as Billy has a hard time with the social cues of pauses in speech.

Later that evening Billy will go to Nomed in the previously established "Billy is about to ask a question" approach.

"Mr. Dercas, do you know how to read?"
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
  • +1 GM Reward
Nomed Dercas

Post by Nomed Dercas »

Picking his head up off the wall, Nomed stares at Billy blankly for a second before a look of recognition crosses his face. Hey B-Man! Nomed says warmly, presenting a closed fist to Billy. After several seconds of awkward silence Nomed bumps Billy's hand with his closed fist, pulls it back, and explodes his fingers while making a weird noise sssshblamm. Smiling, Nomed shakes his head and replies to Billy's question. Fuck yeah I can read, The Legion saw to that. 'Reading is to the mind like exercise is to the body.' Ol' Dreggor would always say. I tried anything to become a Legionnaire after I arrived at Castle Refuge.

Cpl. Dreggor is in charge of training all the refugees that show potential around The Castle. 'Sortin' the Riff from the Raff' he calls it. He's the one who gave me my Legionnaire's Field Manuel."
Nomed reaches into a side pouch on his backpack and pulls out a battered old green book. The book is about the size of Billy's hand and twice as thick. He taps it several times and then returns it to his backpack. "That book taught me a lot, but I never was able to impress anyone before the 'J' treatment. Afterwards tho... Nomed flexes his chemically enhanced muscles. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I learned the hard way it is important to be prepared for any situation when you're out in the field as a Legionnaire... Nomed's voice again gets quiet as he remembers how harsh reality can be. mmhem Clearing his throat Nomed says to Billy, If you are ever lookin' for something to read B-man you're welcome to borrow my book anytime.

Nomed waits for Billy to process the conversation they just had but stops him before he wanders off like he usually does. So what's it like being a fuckin' cyborg, huh? Gotta be pretty crazy bein' able to pick up a whole car and throw it or or run and run and run and never get tired or or or jumping fifty feet in the fuckin' air, sooo fuckin' cool right!?! Nomed jumps up, runs a circle around Billy, pumps his fist in the air and then leans back against the wall in the exact same position he was originally in almost faster than the eye can track. Super power high five!!! Nomed holds up his hand and waits to see if Billy remembers this from the last time Nomed taught him to high five.
Character Summary
Nomed Dercas

Parry: 7; Toughness: In Armor 14(6) or in vehicle 17(8); Pace: 16(d10); Burn: 10(d10)
Adventure Cards: We Have The Talent - You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.(54)
+3 New Quarter
+2 Field Report

Attributes

Skills
Shooting d10, Fighting d8, *Notice d6, Stealth d6, *Tracking d8, *Survival d8, Persuasion d6, Piloting d4, Throwing d6, *Streetwise d8, *Forgery (Common Knowledge) d6+2

Active Effects
+2 on all ranged attacks
Nomed requires only half the normal amount of sleep and has +2 to resist fatigue
-1 to all Smarts and Smarts-linked skill rolls(*) in non-combat/low stress situations
On the first round of combat Nomed does not receive the benefit from Uncanny Reflexes** or Quick**
+1 to Healing checks

Combat Edges
Quick: Whenever Nomed is dealt a 5 or less in combat he may discard and draw again until he gets a card higher than 5.**

Primary Weapon
JA-11 Energy Rifle
  • Range 30/60/120
  • Damage 3d6
  • Notes: As an action, switch to fire an ion beam (use stats for NG-57) or have laser do Mega Damage (uses 10 ammo per shot and applies Snapfire penalty) Integrated scope offsets two points of Range and/or Darkness penalties. Advanced technology makes this weapon extra effective against armor, giving it +2 AP.)
  • Ion Beam
    • Notes: Ion weapons grant +2 Shooting due to the spread effect of the ion stream, but they lose one die of damage at Medium Range, and two dice at Long.
Notable Equipment
  • Grenades(assorted)
  • Silvered Vibro-Sword
  • Wooden Stakes
  • NG-S2 Survival Pack
  • Translator
  • Internal Repair System
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

Billy Borg responds to the Juicers high five prompt with the arcane series of fives, pounds, fist bumps and fingerguns that Nomed had shown him a few days earlier.
The precise movements of the cyborg body mask most ,but not all, of the child's elated body language.

"Since you read, then you probably know that, when you spell your name backwa..."

Billy Borgs statement is cut short by a massive lightning strike outside of the cave. Not wishing to speak over the colorful descriptions of the storm offered by one or more of his companions. Billy wordlessly returns to fixing the bicycle.
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
  • +1 GM Reward
Miles RAD Radoslav

The bright flash of lightning blinded Sir William momentarily; the rain that followed pelted his armor and seeped through the crevices to chill him to the bone. The rain reminded him of another morning, just a few days before. The Xiticix had already made off with the team's Tomorrow Legion APC, and the team was on the hunt for signs of any other kind of life besides the insect warriors. They found it in the form of a burned-out homestead, the ashes still smouldering in the drizzle of rain. Without much hope, the team approached the homestead, thinking perhaps there might be some salvageable food or gear. Nomed gestured for them to fan out in a search pattern, leaving Erin and Lady Sephia on guard in case the Xiticix returned.

Sir William watched Baron McVey to his left as the Westerner searched the ruins of an outlying shed. He had known men like McVey in his youth in the West, and his impulse was to look down on the gambler, but he schooled himself to patience. To his right, Hardin picked up a half-melted farm implement and then tossed it down in disgust. Sir William's gaze whipped back around to McVey as he called out - "There's something here - a trap door, I think."

With Sir William's help, McVey cleared the debris from the trap door and cracked it open. Sir William quietly summoned his psionically enhanced speed, in case the contents were... unfriendly, and stepped back, ready to create his paired Psi-swords. His precautions were not needed, however; the small hideaway contained only a few days' preserved rations... and a little girl.

The girl alternated between weeping and silence. No one could get any answers from her about what had happened. She clung to McVey, her discoverer, whenever he was available, and otherwise suffered herself to be guided on their travels. Once Hardin managed to get her on his horse. Billy said she reminded him of a "neighbor girl who was almost 4." The only thing any of them were able to learn, or rather guess, was her name - "Amber", carved on a wooden bead on a string around her neck.

Sir William heard her weeping now, inside the cave. He made a silent oath that she would reach the safety of Castle Refuge, no matter what the cost to him.
Rad
ISP:
10 /10

Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

OOC Comments
Notice [dice]d4[/dice] +2 alertness /-2 Storm fouled senses
Wild [dice]d6[/dice]
Erin watches the Baron hold Amber and considers a few ways that she could help console her as well.

My appearance can frighten or enrage some adults, but it is worse with kids since some parents scare children into being good by saying the Warrior Women snatch bad children. Sephia and I were away when she first appeared, so maybe I should let her acclimate more.

Thinking of her appearance she removes her gloves and rubs a lock of her hair from near the scalp very methodically while pondering how to help. The action may draw attention to pale blond roots that have begun to contrast with the rest of her hair.

When inspiration strikes she removes a bomber jacket from her pack and wraps Amber in it with a little assistance from the agile alien holding her. The group had already given Amber fresh clothes and kept her wrapped in a blanket or the Baron’s arms so shelter wasn't a concern, but this bomber jacket was extremely warm and soft on the inside and had a very organic natural smell that even Erin found pleasing so surely Amber would as well.

Seeing a small softening of Amber’s features Erin decides that maybe it did help some.

Turning away from Amber Erin places a hand on the TW computer near Sephia and pumps in a little PPE, just in case, the Cyber-Knight wants to use it any in the next hour then walks to the mouth of the cave to join Sir William. The mouth has some natural formations that may be used as cover. Erin sits low facing into the cave with her back to a bolder to minimize her visibility from the treeline.

Erin speaks softly to Sir William
The rains can cloud my sense a little...I imagine it's what dark looks like. But I do like the way it feels.

We needed this break….Amber needed this break but we will need to move soon.

While she talks she places a wrist blaster in a bag, then her hands absentmindedly disassemble it then reassemble in in a different configuration.

She runs her fingertips over the seams and connections of the device in a graceful and precise manner, evaluating her work. Yep with the storm Draining Burst would be better than Freezing Bolts and more importantly still no screams of pain from when it was powered by bio-wizardry.

Your L5 is a pretty hardy weapon. They don’t take much upkeep, and yours has been maintained adequately but if you want I can give it a once over when we get in the dry again.

After this, she stretches her whole body places her TW Chainsaw on her lap and raises her face to feel the rain.
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
Miles RAD Radoslav

Your L5 is a pretty hardy weapon. They don’t take much upkeep, and yours has been maintained adequately but if you want I can give it a once over when we get in the dry again.
Sir William stifled a sigh, looking down at the NG-L5 laser rifle the Tomorrow Legion had issued for him. "Thank you for your offer, but I must confess that this weapon is a requirement rather than a passion. Practically, I need to be able to engage enemies at a distance. But this..." He manifested his long, slightly curved, glowing blue Psi-sword from his left hand. "This blade is my soul. It is a path to honor and self-perfection, and whenever I can honorably do so, I will always choose to engage with blades rather than beams."

Sir William glanced at Erin. Having grown up in the West, he had little experience of Altarans, and he found it strange to converse without eye contact of any sort. "I confess I know little of your and Lady Sephia's people. What brought you to the Tomorrow Legion?"
Rad
ISP:
10 /10

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

L.C. wrote:L.C. speaks up as Hardin finishes. "The reason you haven't heard of those guys is you're not supposed to. Be glad they only sent a mundane assassin after you. He was sloppy though. No way you would have survived a properly placed mine, not even with telekinetic shielding. Just be glad it wasn't someone like me who was sent. Hard to use powers when they are bring nullified. That's why they trained and changed kids like me. I started out a normal Dominator...that's Mind Melter for you civilians, but they subjected me to things until my latent abiities surfaced. Now I can stop abilities on an instant instinctive level that doesn't even require thought. Usually it'd be a Psi team they'd send after one like you. Makes me wonder if you were a target of opportunity, or even the wrong guy in the wrong place. Far as command would care, he'd have died in a random bar fight. I mean, it happens. As for the armor, the ones who look for easy marks aren't going to go after some guy using spec forces armor as a trophy, and the ones that could take you weren't looking for you, but also don't give two shits about the armor."
Hardin cracks a wide smile. ”Well, hey there, Sargento, I certainly meant no offense to yer sensibilities. And don’t you worry none, we are all mighty impressed by what a tough sombi-” Hardin cuts off and looks up sheepishly at the Queen to find her with arms crossed and giving him a raised, disapproving eyebrow ”that is, what a hard case you are.” The Queen nods approvingly. ”Course, you ain't the first Coalition psychic who threatened me, and I don’t s’pose you’ll be the last. And that’s fine. Comes with the territory an’ all. But I would like to point out two thangs to ya.”

Hardin holds up the index finger on his left hand and continues, ”First, if ya tell me them special forces boys are all scary good, it makes it hard to believe when ya tell me the one who almost kilt me wasn't. Seems like havin’ it both ways, to me.” He raises his next finger and says, ”Second, thems that can take me are more’n welcome to come lookin.’ I think they might find I don’t die so easy, and I don’t scare easy, ‘neither. Turnin’ off my powers is a neat trick, to be sure, and one hell of an edge in a fight.” Hardin pats the stock of his Remington “Judgment Day” long rifle with his extended fingers. ”But I’ve got an edge or two of my own.”

”’An, of course, that was the point of the story. That Lietenant Fry was just an ordinary man, and he got me closer to the gates than anyone else I’ve tangled with over the years. Sure, he had swapped out a couple of his original parts for shiny ones, but he was mostly just a normal human. Out here in the field, it don’t take vampires or bug people or even fancy nully-fiers” he very obviously and purposely butchers the word “nullifiers” ”like our good sergeant here to put you in the ground. Any idiot with a gun or a bomb can do that for ya. An’ I know this is the first time out in the field for a couple of you, and I know you knows this, but still lemme tell you somethin’ that I bet the sergeant and I can agree on: watch each other's backs, even if you ain’t got much love for each other just yet. Because you might be able to flip a car with your bare hands, or outrun a stampede o’ Rhino Buffalo, or cut up 100 dead boys without missing a beat, but a decent sniper with a clear line of sight can still put you down as easy as this” Hardin flexes his index finger, simulating a trigger squeeze… which conspicuously leaves only his middle finger still extended, and the back of his hand facing L.C. Hardin mimes blowing smoke off the raised finger and holstering it in his gun belt with a flourish, ignoring his Queen’s disapproving stare. Every now and again he thinks she’s gotta cut me a little slack. And middle fingers ain’t swear words; they’re just fingers, so that don’t count anyway.
Hardin and Jane
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

(rolls held)

He still wasn't used to being called Sergeant, even if that was technically the case. "Just Corporal in The Legion. I left those murderous psychopaths for a reason, as a matter of fact. And you don't offend me any. I'm personally happy to have a certifiable hard case to work beside. Mostly I didn't want the others to think that everyone has such an easy time with them is all. And I have no intention of threatening anyone." L.C. smiles to him, without malice. 'Guess he thought that was a threat. Hmm, insecure. Good to note.' "Besides, that's far too much talking if something needs doing. I doubt you were talkin much yourself during that dust-up." He looks around. "But he's right. When, not if, we go up against CS, merc, or even some bandit forces, watch for signs of sharpshooters and long range artillery and missiles. One of the nastier abilities of the CS military is for a single hidden scout to call in very effective missile and artillery fire and never fire a shot himself. So we start seeing long range fire, look for the hidden spotter."

He lowers his voice to say the last part. "And even if they don't go for you, they get orders to shoot refugees too. As long as they aren't human, their fair game; infants and mothers too." The look on his face is one of barely controlled rage, but not at Hardin, or anyone present. Then he looks to the girl in the gambler's arms and just shakes his head. "I'm still more amazed at how many are okay with that. Someone fighting you, they know the risks and the score. Kids and civies don't make that choice." Of course he doesn't mention the missions where he said nothing, so ingrained by the dogma, where he helped destroy homes who had people in them, including all ages. But he's full of too much self loathing for that. That's why he must tip the scale. Find some measure of good to weigh out what he's done. Every refugee saved is a feather to weigh against the mountain of his shame.
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

"I confess I know little of your and Lady Sephia's people. What brought you to the Tomorrow Legion?"

What did bring me to the Tomorrow Legion? The most obvious and easiest reason is turning on the rest of my Federation of Magic patrol. Those kinds of reasons are rarely the whole truth as I’ve come to realize over the last seven years.

"Well that is a long story, and more than a once I made the wrong choice, however, I am willing to share a bit with you now."

Erin turns her face to Sir William for the first time since sitting and leans in closer to whisper.

"You must give me your word to not let my misdeeds tarnish Lady Sephia’s honor. Although my sisters seem very similar each of us is a unique star."

Erin returns to her original position and wistfully runs a finger along the blade of her weapon tracing the graffiti letters of Sasha’s Revenge.

"Let me tell you how I came to join Lord Dunscon’s True Federation."

After saying this she pauses, head never turning and watches Sir William’s expression. If the air was drier and he was closer she would note if his scent shifted.

Setting into the memories and the mindset of that time her voice becomes more assertive and somehow her general posture becomes more aggressive while barely shifting her 6’ 2” frame.

"I was living in Mertown doing contract work repairing APCs, making flying boots that sort of stuff. I kind of kept office hours in a Jbar. At the time I was welcome there because some last call Juicers still remembered when they were freshly juiced and a real JLA member from Newtown vouched for me."

Really he was vouching for me out of respect for Sasha’s memory but that’s not different than what I’m doing.

As Erin thinks this she sends PPE into the TW device beneath her armor. Radiating out from the device on her chest the pulse of energy is transmitted down her metallic circuit like tattoos in a strange imitation of a circulatory system. After the pulse reaches her extremities the circuits briefly maintain a faint blue glow.

"I knew as more fresh faces came in I was going to have to shove on or start educating them that I killed my first juicer before when they were still squishy."

Realizing that the rush is getting to her Erin takes a slow breath and continues on with her story. A little calmer now but still in a different voice and manner than the 99s are used to seeing.

"I wasn’t the only one who noticed that my bar time was approaching last call."

A very brief pause Last call come on that joke kills maybe the Cyber-Knights take a vow of no humor.

"The other person who noticed the looming confrontation or maybe he caused it was a very, very charming D’Norr."

As she says this her smile shows a bit too many teeth and there is the briefest lick of the lips while the teeth on her saw slowly silently move like miniature metal sharks looking for prey.

"He had been talking me up for a while occasionally bringing in devices to convert or repair, all the while bad mouthing the CS and talking up the Fed. I was pretty angry at the Coalition for …something that happened earlier and Maliset could see that. At first, I thought he was just trying to check off a kink bucket list Altara Juicer has to be in a lot of boy’s dreams. Any day I expected him to ask if my harness pumped juice to/

Sasha! There are children the borg is only 11! And Sir William is a Cyber-Knight.
Erin turns to Sir William and blushes a little. "Sorry my language can sometimes get a little salty."

The voice that continues is closer to the one the group is used to.

"Eventually I was convinced that the Coalition wasn’t just to blame for my past problem/death but they needed to be punished for it. One night when the freshly juiced decided to revoke my honorary membership with extreme prejudice he helped me out. We left town that night it wasn’t the first time I had abandoned a home."

Pausing briefly her voice and posture become softer.

"I did a lot of bad things with them; I killed or helped kill a lot of Dead Boys. It shames me to think back to how easy it was for me to lose myself in the group and not realize that we were as bad as or worse than the CS. In some ways, it was no different than my time on the barge."

The glow from the tattoos dims to almost nothing.

A very small voice says
"I might still be there if I hadn’t seen someone from my past that made me remember who I wanted to get revenge for and what she would really want me to do."
Her hand moves to the blade and lovingly runs a finger along the name written there.
Leaping to her feet with incredible agility she faces the center of the group.

"Everyone I think the rain may be stopping. It doesn’t feel as dark."

She briefly turns to look down at Sir William "I’m with the legion because a lot of people better than me gave me the chance and I want to do the same for others. I have a lot to make up for and no one knows how much time they have but I intend to make the most of it."

Taking a few steps into the cave "Billy that’s good work on the bike. "Leaning into the borg "maybe when you get it ready you can offer to give Amber a ride in the back of the cave."

Once again she seems to be the Erin of old but the question of if she said death or problem still lingers for those following her story.
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

L.C. wrote:(rolls held)

"Just Corporal in The Legion. I left those murderous psychopaths for a reason, as a matter of fact. And you don't offend me any. I'm personally happy to have a certifiable hard case to work beside. Mostly I didn't want the others to think that everyone has such an easy time with them is all. And I have no intention of threatening anyone." L.C. smiles to him, without malice. 'Guess he thought that was a threat. Hmm, insecure. Good to note.' "Besides, that's far too much talking if something needs doing. I doubt you were talkin much yourself during that dust-up." He looks around. "But he's right. When, not if, we go up against CS, merc, or even some bandit forces, watch for signs of sharpshooters and long range artillery and missiles. One of the nastier abilities of the CS military is for a single hidden scout to call in very effective missile and artillery fire and never fire a shot himself. So we start seeing long range fire, look for the hidden spotter."

He lowers his voice to say the last part. "And even if they don't go for you, they get orders to shoot refugees too. As long as they aren't human, their fair game; infants and mothers too." The look on his face is one of barely controlled rage, but not at Hardin, or anyone present. Then he looks to the girl in the gambler's arms and just shakes his head. "I'm still more amazed at how many are okay with that. Someone fighting you, they know the risks and the score. Kids and civies don't make that choice." Of course he doesn't mention the missions where he said nothing, so ingrained by the dogma, where he helped destroy homes who had people in them, including all ages. But he's full of too much self loathing for that. That's why he must tip the scale. Find some measure of good to weigh out what he's done. Every refugee saved is a feather to weigh against the mountain of his shame.
"Huh. Sincerity. I may have figured you wrong there, L.C. You might just be all right. Spooky as can be, mind, but all right."
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Sephia

Post by Sephia »

Sephia was grateful for the distraction of her audiobook, as the stormy weather outside set her ever so slightly on edge, something she did her best to conceal in front of her new teammates. Rain had accompanied two of the worst fights of her life, and storms in particular reminded her of Atlantis. It felt foolish, but such were the cruel tricks of sense memory. She did leave off one of the earbuds to keep an ear on the conversations around her, and the tension between Hardin and L.C. did not escape her notice.

She would be lying if she said she did not have misgivings about a former CS operative being their new acting Sergeant, having fought the Coalition many times and seen what they were capable of. However, she was also not in a position to judge a man based on his former loyalties. If his response to Hardin was any indication, there was nothing to worry about; L.C. seemed, if not a good man, then at the very least an honourable one.

Sephia was reaching the end of her current chapter when Erin announced that the rain was stopping, and so she paused the book and glanced back at McVey and the child in his arms. She'd been staying out of his way while he was tending to the child, and out of Billy's way too, for the most part. Despite her years of travelling, she still felt awkward when dealing with children. It was something she would have to work on. She disconnected herself from the computer and set it aside as tidily as she could, before standing up and going over to McVey. She crouched down next to him and spoke softly, trying not to disturb the girl, "How is she doing, Corporal?"
Sephia
Combat Edges:
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

BILLY BORG wrote:
Hardin Billy over. "Let's say we find out, right from the horse's mouth, shall we?" He lets out a quick whistle, and Jane, his robot Mustang, came trotting over. She looks just like any other horse, with a shiny, chestnut coat, and Hardin certainly thinks of her as a horse, not a machine. Best horse I've ever owned he thinks, giving her a quick pat.

"Well, Jane?" he asks, "Do you dream?" Jane lets out a nicker, nods her head and stomps one foot. She looks from Hardin to Billy, and nuzzles at Billy's hand with her nose, looking for a scratch. Yup. A dang fine horse.

The moment is broken when a rough, male voice eminates from Jane, saying "Hardin, you are an idiot."

"Oh, come on now, Franklin! That was out of line." Hardin declares, giving Jane a thump on the back of the neck, as one might do to jar something loose.

"Sorry about that, Billy. Back in Arzno I had an operator buddy who was great with machines, and he just loved robot horses. I let him have a look at old Jane here once or twice, and he went and programmed himself telling me all sorts o' things into her. Every now an' then, one o' his messages will pop up unexpected. Anyway, I think what Jane was trying to tell you before she was so rudely interrupted was that yes, she dreams. Just like anybody with a mind can dream. Oh, and she wants you to give her a scratch. She likes that."
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

(Rolls held)
Hardin wrote:"Huh. Sincerity. I may have figured you wrong there, L.C. You might just be all right. Spooky as can be, mind, but all right."
L.C. chuckles a bit. "Can't help how we're made. According to all the research they pushed down our throats, humans, like most animals, can sense when a predatory force is nearby. It makes them uneasy. Same way a horse starts when a predator is nearby. It's not just a scent thing, CS scientists figured out it's a natural psionic reaction. I try not to think HOW they figured this out - I like sleeping at night. Well one of the other things we're taught is under no circumstances are we to consider ourselves anything less than lethal predators patrolling the human herds. And honestly, for a lot of us, that's 100% true. Not most of the the healers and really minor psychics, but most all the others. And it turns out most other beings are the same as humans in regards to how they deal with psychics on an instinctive level." He had to squash the easy speciesism of calling them D-Bees. It's even in general parlance among d-bees, but he also knows that 95% of them were born here, despite their extra-dimensional origins. So just beings, when he had the presence of mind to say it right.

L.C. chuckles at Erin's unintentional randy comment. "Sadly, this is the world we live in. Besides, don't sell yourself short, you're not unattractive." He shrugs, showing no particular sign of that being anything but a statement of fact, said like water is wet. It was definitely meant as a compliment though. "And at least you had the sense to walk away from those Federation butchers. And no, that's not propaganda speaking, but years of hard experience. There's a reason that until Tolkeen I never questioned the mission. Shown only the absolute worst the world has to give, it's not hard to buy it hook, line and sinker. I've yet to find a true believer of the Federation that I didn't want to end in the most expedient and gruesome manner possible. Not proud of it, I'm sure there's a lot of people like you were: lost, confused, and exploited. But people like that eventually catch on, just like I did. Just a matter of when, not if." There was an acceptance in how he related to her experience. Both of them had fallen into the zealot trap. Both had escaped it. He felt he could trust her a bit more because of this.

He stops realizing most don't expect such blunt honesty. "I should warn you guys, I'm got raised around psychics who can literally read your mind. So we got into the habit of being brutally honest, cause the crap just fades after you can all see the truth. Sorry if that weirds anyone out. Always did my squadmates who associate psychic with secrets. I can keep secrets as well or better than most, but when it comes to how I deal with those closest to me - and make no mistake that's you all, right now - honesty isn't the best policy, it's the only one. Keep in mind that goes for negative too, though I can be diplomatic if I choose to."

He can't help but chuckle when the robot steed back talks Hardin. "Seems your acquaintance has a peculiar sense of humor."

At Sephia's question to McVey, L.C. looked over to hear the answer.
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Baron McVey
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Baron McVey »

Sephia wrote:"How is she doing, Corporal?"
Baron seems to barely register the question at first as he's run through the gamut of things he knows about children. "She's fussy, and likely wants her mamma, far as I can tell though she's fine. Storm likely has her spooked." Baron says quietly as he cradles the young child and softly strokes her hair.
Baron McVey
Character Name: Baron McVey
Parry: 9, Toughness: 6 (14)
Bennies 4/4 1 Golden Benny
Bennies Spent On: Benny Gained from Joker
Benny spent on Damage Reroll
Combat Edges:
  • Danger Sense (Notice Check -2 to perceive danger)
  • Quick (Re-draw cards under 5)
  • Ambidextrous (No off hand penalties.)
  • Two-Fisted (Make two attack rolls w/o multi-attack penalties.)
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

L.C. wrote:He can't help but chuckle when the robot steed back talks Hardin. "Seems your acquaintance has a peculiar sense of humor."
”Yup, peculiar is one of the nicer words I'd use to describe him. But he's good folk, dumb pranks aside.”

Hardin stares for a moment at the little girl, and a thought occurs to him. ”Hey, any of ya’ll got the Sight? Maybe you could take a look at our littlest teammate and see if she’s all right, magically speaking.”
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Notice 5
[dice]2[/dice], [dice]3[/dice]
L.C. looks at her for any paranormal maledictions. He neither moves, nor makes any motions.
Psionics 6
[dice]0[/dice],[dice]1[/dice] Detect Arcana
See Aura (Detect Arcana; At-Will) [Novice]
Range: Sight
Duration: 3 (0/round)
Trappings: As he intuitively interprets the readings of a target’s psyche, he learns a great deal about influencing the target and those around him. This gives a +2 to Charisma while the power is in effect, and on a Raise, a +1 die-type to Persuasion.
Effect: Detect arcana allows a character to sense supernatural persons, objects, or effects within sight. This includes invisible foes, enchantments on people or items, mad science devices, and so on.
As he does, he gains a little insight into the little girl's emotional state, but does not invade her privacy.
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

“...Besides, don't sell yourself short, you're not unattractive."... I'm sure there's a lot of people like you were: lost, confused, and exploited. But people like that eventually catch on, just like I did. Just a matter of when, not if."
“I appreciate the kind word and as for my looks I’ll have to take your word on it.” Erin says with a smirk.

”Hey, any of ya’ll got the Sight? Maybe you could take a look at our littlest teammate and see if she’s all right, magically speaking.”
Erin leaves the chainsaw next to her computer, Step one don’t scare the patient check, and approaches Amber. While waiting for the results of L.C.s aura scan she does a cursory medical examination. Erin feels Amber’s forehead and wrist, listens to her breathing for a few moments. She seems to fall into a rhythm as the diagnosis proceeds, at the she takes a few steps behind the patient extends both arms and drops a few pebbles from each hand. As soon as she releases them a realization of what she just did sets in and she stifles a chuckle. Well if she says 3 small on the left and one big and one small on the right I’ll know her “eyes” work.

A flirty smile and a laugh in the last few minutes I am becoming comfortable with this group.

Healing: [dice]0[/dice] Wild: [dice]1[/dice]

Kn Medicine (if needed): [dice]2[/dice] Wild: [dice]3[/dice] Kn Med Ace if needed: [dice]4[/dice] again: [dice]5[/dice]
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

While examining the little girl, it soon becomes apparent she lacks any physical injury. She seams to be a physically very healthy girl, in fact well above average. This could infer she is from a wealthy family or some situation of advantage.
It would seem to Erin that her pain is psychological in nature.
However you do notice in your examination that she seams a little off from the average baseline. She is showing slight signs if bradycardia, her bp is a little lower than expected, and she has sleight hypohydration.
LC
The arcane examination reveals that the girl has some sort of arcane potential. It is hard to tell without using greater detect arcana, but you believe she may be a minor Psionic.
Amber responds a little to McVey's efforts to calm her as her silent crying comes to a rest. But before long she falls asleep as the activity of the day and her crying has physically exhausted her causing her to pass out once the fear abates.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

(rolls held)

LC's voice is softer. "She's fine. One day she may turn into a psychic of some power. But a lot of children have that potential." He immediately thinks to the excercises he and his classmates did as teen agers, scanning the crowds, looking for psychics, and pointing them out to their minders. Then watch as they are bribed, cajoled, scared, and outright kidnapped to be put in the home. He shrugs breaking that train of thought. "Sorry. Nah, she's just a scared little girl whose world turned to crap. She'll be fine when we can get her back to Refuge."
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

"Overall she looks physically well. We should giver her some fluids when she wakes up."
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
Sephia

Post by Sephia »

Sephia had been ready to use the TW medical system built into her gauntlet to try and scan Amber, but the girl squirmed at the motion, so she lowered the gauntlet and took a step back, hands out to her side's in a non-threatening stance. A moment later, Erin came over to examine her instead, she seemed to have abetter way with the girl, so Sephia leaned back against the cave wall and let her work. She let out a sigh after both Erin and L.C. gave their diagnoses, "At least she seems to be resting now."

She cocked her head towards the cave entrance, listening. The storm did seem to be dwindling, and once it did, they'd need to get moving again. The girl's rest would likely need to be cut short unless they could manage to carry her without waking her.

Some transportation would have been of great help there. She frowned, thinking back on the second day of their mission, and muttered, "Damn those Xiticix."
Sephia
Combat Edges:
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Nomed Dercas wrote: Nomed’s sword glinted in the firelight as he drew it from the magnetic sheath on the back of his armor,“I also silvered my fuckin’ vibro-blade and never leave home without wooden stakes.” Returning the sword he also patted the bandoleer of wooden stakes secured to his breastplate.
“Now that's smart.” Hardin pats the grip of the old-fashioned Colt revolver on his gun belt. “I never leave home without at least six cylinders of silver on me. I spent more time’n I woulda liked dealin' with vamps down in Arzno, and you never know where them blood suckers’ll pop up."
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

“I never leave home without at least six cylinders of silver on me. I spent more time’n I woulda liked dealin' with vamps down in Arzno, and you never know where them blood suckers’ll pop up."
It is difficult to suss where where Billy Borgs attention is fixed. Most combat cyborgs are built with some variation of a skull face. It is a common interface, since it is both intimidating and a convenient analog of human expression. Billy's face is a chromed plate. It is not so much intimidating, as it is, difficult to interact with. Talking to Billy is like talking to a fun house mirror.

In his predictable way, Billy Borg waits for the opportunity to ask Hardin a question.

(Hardin can accept a question or easily avoid it at this point)
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
  • +1 GM Reward
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

BILLY BORG wrote:“I never leave home without at least six cylinders of silver on me. I spent more time’n I woulda liked dealin' with vamps down in Arzno, and you never know where them blood suckers’ll pop up."

It is difficult to suss where where Billy Borgs attention is fixed. Most combat cyborgs are built with some variation of a skull face. It is a common interface, since it is both intimidating and a convenient analog of human expression. Billy's face is a chromed plate. It is not so much intimidating, as it is, difficult to interact with. Talking to Billy is like talking to a fun house mirror.

In his predictable way, Billy Borg waits for the opportunity to ask Hardin a question.

(Hardin can accept a question or easily avoid it at this point)
Hardin notices Billy looming. "What can I do for ya, son?"
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

The sounds of distant rapports several loud explosions and rail gun fire can be heard from outside the cave. As you go to investigate you find that unfortunately the storm is still fowling the Altaran senses. Scanning the view the rest of you can see what looks to be winged demons of sort, perhaps gargoyles, having a battle with one of the many Coalition Patrols you have been avoiding. From the cave's mouth looking out a fire fight is at the edge of view and the storm prevents a clear assessment of anything at such a distance.
As the rapport of rail gun fire starts dying down to less and less while the explosions and flames continue it becomes obvious that the Coalition troops in the area found an enemy they could not easily overwhelm. Within minutes you see what looks to be 4 PA pilots escaping as a couple dozen of the demons attempt pursuit until they are all out of site.
OOC Comments
You guys have done a great job on this, opportunity to play without external pushes.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

The cyborg queries Hardin with the synthetic voice that fails to to cross the uncanny valley

"The Castle Refuge database lists all castes of Vampires as sharing multiple vulnerabilities. The most common is liquid water. Why would an otherwise invulnerable organism choose to colonize a planet where approximately 2/3rd s of its surface is liquid water? Also, Even in the most arid climates, literal death for Vamparism falls from the sky. What is so valuable that they would endure this?"
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
  • +1 GM Reward
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

RFT wrote:The sounds of distant rapports of several loud explosions and rail gun fire can be heard from outside the cave. As you go to investigate you find that unfortunately the storm is still fowling the Altaran senses. Scanning the view the rest of you can see what looks to be winged demons of sort, perhaps gargoyles, having a battle with one of the many Coalition Patrols you have been avoiding. From the cave's mouth looking out a fire fight is at the edge of view and the storm prevents a clear assessment of anything at such a distance.
As the rapport of rail gun fire starts dying down to less and less while the explosions and flames continue it becomes obvious that the Coalition troops in the area found an enemy they could not easily overwhelm. Within minutes you see what looks to be 4 PA pilots escaping as a couple dozen of the demons attempt pursuit until they are all out of site.
Hardin watches until all of the combatants are out of sight. "Well... dang. That all happened fast." He glances at L.C. "So, do we stay hunkered here or get gone in case them demons decide to circle back?"
BILLY BORG wrote:The cyborg queries Hardin with the synthetic voice that fails to to cross the uncanny valley

"The Castle Refuge database lists all castes of Vampires as sharing multiple vulnerabilities. The most common is liquid water. Why would an otherwise invulnerable organism choose to colonize a planet where approximately 2/3rd s of its surface is liquid water? Also, Even in the most arid climates, literal death for Vamparism falls from the sky. What is so valuable that they would endure this?"
"Sorry, there, Billy. Mite distracted." Hardin waves his hand towards the direction of the retreating power armor and demons. "But as for the vamps, well, folks got a saying down south, 'you can get used to anything 'cept not eatin.' I suspect the vamps hang around where we are because they gotta eat, and their food lives here. Simple as that."
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Miles RAD Radoslav

Sir William watched the fleeing Coalition troops with pity. Were it not his duty to maintain watch here, he would certainly have tested his swords against the demons, but his responsibility to his team would not permit that. He squinted through the storm, trying to see if any signs of life or movement remained at the battle site.
Rad
ISP:
10 /10

Erin Sol
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Sol »

Erin asks anyone. "Does it look like either group may end up along path? after that she offers her canteen to Amber if the explosions woke her. "You should drink some. It may help you feel better, but don't drink it too fast.
Erin Sol

• Quickness:
  • Dispel:
  • Warrior's Gift:
Gadgets 2/4 remaining
None

Bennies 5/3
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

Billy Borg silently uses uses his optics package to paint distant targets. The cyborg unlimbers the rail gun that upgrades his Skelebot threat assessment rating from "humanoid" to "Vehicle".

Mostly Imperceptible body language defers to LC, waiting for orders.
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
  • +1 GM Reward
Nomed Dercas

Post by Nomed Dercas »

Nomed appears to have fallen asleep leaning against the wall of the cave, oblivious to the fading sound of combat echoing in from outside. Backaward... Drawkcab... silly demons..., he quietly mumbles in his sleep.
Character Summary
Nomed Dercas

+3 New Quarter
+2 Field Report

Attributes

Skills

Active Effects
+2 on all ranged attacks
+1 to Healing checks

Combat Edges

Primary Weapon
JA-11 Energy Rifle
  • Range 30/60/120
  • Damage 3d6
  • Ion Beam
Notable Equipment
  • Grenades(assorted)
  • Silvered Vibro-Sword
  • Wooden Stakes
  • NG-S2 Survival Pack
  • Translator
  • Internal Repair System
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Notice 3
[dice]0[/dice],[dice]1[/dice]
Knowledge Electronics 3
[dice]2[/dice], [dice]3[/dice] to use the magnification/enhancement features of the IRD Binocs
"Damn, poor bastards." He shakes his head. "I may not agree with their bosses anymore, but majority of the grunts are just dudes too stupid and brainwashed to realize what's going on. Being sent out to face down monsters like that." He shrugs. At Hardin's question and Billy's look, LC sighs and looks out again. He digs out the Infrared Distancing binoculars and peers out into the darkness, using their magnification and optics to his advantage. He can't make out a damn thing and shakes his head again as he packs it back up. "Yeah, everyone pack up, but let the girl sleep until just before we go. And definitely get her some water first. In fact everyone should probably take a minute and drink some of what they've got and use the rain to refill your canteen. And someone wake him up." It's not said with any harshness at all when he indicates the one asleep in the back. L.C. then grabs the funnel from his tent and sets it up to catch rain out in front of the cave mouth, so it catches rain, not run off.

L.C. then digs into his bag and takes the one thing he both loathes and is glad he has, one of the universal radios used by Spec Ops. It has been attached to his power armor, plugged in, in order to transmit the proper IFF signals and access radio, using the power armor's more robust radio antenna and amplifier to boost. But today, he'd do no such thing. He untangles its power pack from the rag it was wrapped in, and then attaches to the radio properly. He attaches his ear piece to it, and listens to the frequencies as he scans for traffic, hoping to get another idea of what was going on.

When done, he unplugs the radio from his ear piece and the battery pack, wrapping both in separate rags. He replaces it in his bag and then begins pre systems check of his power armor, and repacks the clamshell armor pieces that sit above his armor into his backpack. Just before the last person finishes packing up, he enters the power armor. It would limit his psychic abilities, but he had to move it somehow until they could get a new transport.
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Sephia

Post by Sephia »

As the fighting began outside, Sephia summoned her Cyber-Armor in case they had to get involved. Nanites went to work, forming a metallic second skin under her suit. The organic armor crept up past her shoulders to form a metallic coif that covered her neck and throat, as well as the top, back and sides of her head. With her and Erin's senses still impaired by the storm, they had to rely on verbal reports from the other teammates for details on what was occurring outside.

Sephia noted Sir William's tension as he observed from the cave entrance. She too felt conflicted over standing by and leaving the CS patrol to handle the demons themselves. At the end of the day, she was still a warrior, and hiding out in the cave while there were demons to fight did not feel right. However, she had also learned the value of restraint in the years since earning her title. The battle was over soon enough and L.C. gave the word to pack up and get ready to move. She went back to her spot and disconnected her data player from Erin's computer, then clipped it back onto her belt before picking up the computer and handing it back to Erin with a smile, "Thank you again. Perhaps you can show me one of those holovids another time."
Sephia
Combat Edges:

Return to “Adventure Archive”