TK Force Multiplier Device (Potential Signature Item)

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

TK Force Multiplier Device (Potential Signature Item)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Next quarter I may purchase a signature device for my mind melter. Wanted to see how people felt about this...the personal force field is probably more debatable than the TW upgrades.

TK Force Multiplier™
Become a force to be reckoned with!
This techno-wizard device gives you control of the battlefield through sheer force of will. When activated, The TK Force Multiplier provides a telekinetic force field (+6 armor protection that stacks with worn armor - although ion weapons dispel all of the protection). When the unit’s telekinesis power is activated the user can also create minor x effects (example) as a free action. As an action she can:
  • Create environmental effects which apply a −2 penalty to Trait rolls (−4 with a raise).
  • Inflict 2d6 damage over the area (3d6 Mega Damage if exalted telekinesis is used).
  • Dampen the x energy, causing attacks of that type to do only half damage within the area
All effects occur within a Medium Burst Template (a Large Burst Template with exalted telekinesis) and require use of the telekinesis power, including a Psionics skill roll and normal ISP cost. Additional telekinetic powers include: entangle and havoc
Breakdown
Base Item
Force Field, Personal: Ultra Tech (Naruni?). A personal force field typically worn as a belt.
Provides +4 Armor against all types of attack (except arcane). It’s powered by enough
energy for 24 hours of continuous use, then must be recharged for one hour. Force fields
stack with all other types of armor except other personal force fields, and are not affected by AP. (4 lb, $2000 or 20,000 credits)

Upgrades
Major: Add a Power: Telekinesis
Trapping: Struggling against the strong telekinetic forces is tiring, the victim must make a Vigor roll or suffer Fatigue.

Major: Add an Edge: Energy Control (TBD)

Major: Add a Power: Entangle
Trapping: Struggling against the strong telekinetic forces is tiring, the victim must make a Vigor roll or suffer Fatigue.

Major: Add a Power: Havoc
Trapping: A raise results in the target’s movement counting as Difficult Ground while the power is active (or his next movement for Instant powers) due to the telekinetic forces buffeting him.

Minor: Add a Trapping, Telekinetic Field: Provides an invisible telekinetic force field that adds +2 to armor against physical attacks but is dispelled by ion weapons.

Minor: +5 ISP to power the device
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Re: TK Force Multiplier Device (Potential Signature Item)

Post by Ndreare »

Looks legit to me. I assume this is for Herra? I approve

PS: I would allow it for a Master Psionic. But the Energy Control would need a major modification to bypass the edge requirements otherwise.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Right - definitely need to be a master psionic. Can you add an edge like that without also adding prerequisites?

I added the ice trapping (reskinned as TK). Would ions work as dispel against all 6 points of armor or just +2 from the trapping?

I'm good either way.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

A Power with the Cold/Ice armor trapping is completely dispelled by fire/heat attacks, so if the Trapping is applied to the function of the item, then it would be dispelled by the ion gun, yeah. Re-activation of the belt in combat rounds could be a simple Repair roll (and automatic out of combat).

Just a quick clarification on Energy Control (Kinetic). Is it the intent of the device to affect virtually all melee attacks and railgun fire, or is it strictly things like TK pistols and rifles and enemy telekinetics? I know the SPC would regard those as distinct categories (and so it would only affect one of them), and I believe that's what we defaulted to for the ARES energy resistances.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Freemage wrote:A Power with the Cold/Ice armor trapping is completely dispelled by fire/heat attacks, so if the Trapping is applied to the function of the item, then it would be dispelled by the ion gun, yeah.
Re-activation of the belt in combat rounds could be a simple Repair roll (and automatic out of combat).[/quote]

Okay fixed that. On a tangential note, would a -2 low technology hindrance apply to operating TW items?
Just a quick clarification on Energy Control (Kinetic). Is it the intent of the device to affect virtually all melee attacks and railgun fire
Yes, that one.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Hm... Not sure on the Low-Tech thing; I think there's a bit of variance there. Since this is a signature item, I'm going to say it should be like a Grackletooth's starting vehicle, for instance--modded for her use.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I understand rail guns, bulletts, and fists have damage that is related to kenetic force, but that is not kenetic energy. It is kenetic energy which is being controlled not kenetic force. Freemages point on what kenetic energy actually is an important one not to ignore.

The edge is not force control, it is energy control.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

I'll just remove it.

In my very limited understanding of physics Force = mass x velocity

Kinetic energy is "energy that a body possesses by virtue of being in motion" . Thus if I can control that energy I am reducing velocity (or increasing it) and changing the amount of force proportionately. In game terms reducing or increasing damage by slowing down or speeding up objects in motion.

However, since that sounds like a complex rationalization and since the Super Power Companion (where this edge appears to be lifted from) lists Kinetic as an energy type but doesn't define what that means. I can choose something else.

VV
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Wouldn't that just be everything? Plasma blasts are surely in motion, ice shards, dragons fire breath, missiles, grenades, vibro blades. Litterally everything that has some form of body and is moving would be effected.

i don't think energy control is about controling the energy behind the attack it is about controlling pure energy, and so kenetic energy would be some form energy attack with a kinetic or from motion trapping.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Removed.

I asked my GM, Freemage, to make an alternative suggestion.

VV
Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Venatus Vinco wrote:Removed.

I asked my GM, Freemage, to make an alternative suggestion.

VV
Sorry. I'll step to the back of the bus.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sorry. I'll step to the back of the bus.
Nothing to be sorry about, it didn't work as written. That's what validation is for.

VV
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Yeah, this is one of those situations where 'gamespeak' and 'real human language' don't mesh well. As I indicated in the Hangouts, what you want is "Energy Control: Metal". (Noting that both Water and Air are referenced therein, I'm fine with Metal as an unlisted possibility). That will work on railgun fire, any of the listed Close Combat Weapons in the TLPG and armored fists. Keep a vial of metal filings to account for some of the 'field' effects. Yes, it's more Magneto than Jean Grey, but that's what happens when game rulebooks and science textbooks meet in the wild.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

I was totally going for Jean Gray.

VV
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Freemage wrote:Yeah, this is one of those situations where 'gamespeak' and 'real human language' don't mesh well. As I indicated in the Hangouts, what you want is "Energy Control: Metal". (Noting that both Water and Air are referenced therein, I'm fine with Metal as an unlisted possibility). That will work on railgun fire, any of the listed Close Combat Weapons in the TLPG and armored fists. Keep a vial of metal filings to account for some of the 'field' effects. Yes, it's more Magneto than Jean Grey, but that's what happens when game rulebooks and science textbooks meet in the wild.
To be fair, the gamespeak doesn't follow realspeak because Clint chose to be silly (drink!) about his definitions. Kinetic energy is well defined in the real world. Both being resistant to metal AND resistant to Kinetics should work against Bullets. But NOOO we can't have nice things. Thanks Clint.

[/rant]

Suggestion: Deflection?
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.

Return to “Approved Items”