Part 6.2: Journey to Zacatecus (The River)- Covert Action

Heroes of the Vampire Kingdoms
GM: Pender Lumkiss
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Part 6.2: Journey to Zacatecus (The River)- Covert Action

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Fatigue or wound levels, ppts, # of rangers since the scouting mission have not reset... For whatever reason as you travel you find your selves at those depleted resources. As a note you can expect resources to play an important part of these adventure and they will not reset so use them well.

For ease lets assume everyone’s ppts reset just prior to the scouting mission.
Endless Days of Night The sky oozes with an eternal darkness stifling and maddening. Snarls, growls, hisses, cackles echo across the river’s edge. The land is flat and down hill, a thin blue glow of the leyline in the far distance gives the rangers hope. A fools hope. It always looks to be within reach but frustrating hard to ever get too. Given the words and plans of the legendary resolute heroes the rangers abandon the ruined strong hold in a desperate attempt to rescue those taken a week ago by the 4-armed Titans of Zacatecus. More than 150 rangers set out along with all allies like Commander Kurling, Doc Reid, and even cyber knight Sir Lazerous. However 50 rangers and Sir Lazerous are lost and never seen in the first hour of travel. No sign of them can be found. This leaves only the rangers whom follow the resolute heroes and a few valued allies to traverse the worst stretch of land ever imagined. At every turn a deadly enemy lurks and it is only through the guidence of the infamous vampire hunters that the large group of rangers make it covertly and safetly to their goal: the leyline.

GM thoughts on the below individual player vignettes, add the number next to your name as a modifier to the scene penalty.
Below are tales meant for the player to RP off of in their narrative based on the covert action roll (More on this in the player directions section). The narrative for each player is a bit different for all. Sometimes it is the inner monologue of an enemy, sometimes of Caleb the Chronicler (those in the 13th might recognize the member of the order of the white rose), and even other times it is the dialog of a valued ally. Either way the narrative is meant to build on top of this. This is also a shared narrative between player and GM meant to give each player the means to make their covert action as interesting as possible.
Grynn at +2, 11 heavy Weapon Rangers led by Akel-Rah Skysinger
I see them and smell them. My master Dorondu Duthmon hungers for their blood, their flesh. We have 65 long strong chains spread across the river and surrounding area. These men, the so called rangers will come blundering in and then we will feast upon them. I am Kugu the water master, a decendant of old serpents, the forward scout for my master. My coils are tingling with anticipation, my slick snake like head can sense them approaching. I should warn the others. I see all and hear all... I hear wings...
A bird man comes up right behind me and is all snide,
” Tsk Tsk, it is better to use cover while hiding.” The bird man’s blade slashes my throat. Damn you fucker, I have 23 kids that are going to rip you apart... Last thing I see is my snake head falling to the ground blinking at me one last time.-The Last and Final thoughts of Kugu the water master a child of Cihuacoatl.
07CC226D-1011-4E06-940E-E48FB9625D03.jpeg
Ndreare at + 0, 19 rangers trackers and sneaky bastards lead by Yodh
Twas just a fortnight ago when I saw them first reveal themselves. Creature’s of an old linneage. Akin to the gigantic squids that once inherited this earth. Multiple tentacles able to wrap themselves over and around even the largest of ships. It seems to hunger insatiably for one more meal. Desiring to draw in unsuspecting craft to his maw, and then it is all over. I wonder if these rangers can slide unseen by it or if by some craft they will be able to trick the creature into looking the other way. What is certain, is as they approach the river, they will come across friends and allies ill fated. odies, water logged and bloated, will greet them. Dead rangers drowned and bent lay strewn across a stretch of river that is all but unavoidable. How will these living rangers get by the Maelstrom Maker!- Excerpt from Chronicles of the Vampire Hunters by Caleb the Chronicler.
Side kick goes live, Roll 1d4:
  • 1) Rod hinders your progress by getting himself wrapped up by a tenticle. -2 to covert action
    2-3) does not hinder or help. No bonus or negative.
    4) Rod is timely in his advice and engages his covert mode granting you a +2 to your roll.
2A487C71-999B-45F7-8EF3-FE1A6302F8F8.png
Penitent at +0, 19 scrappy rangers lead by Audry
I can smell your fear Rangers of Reid. Long have I tormented you, like a cat plays with its favored mouse. New patches of Bloodbriar await your foot fall. Fresh groves of Whollyspike adorn your path. Stop at one to feel the soft nettles cool your forhead only to find them drag spines across your back bleeding you fresh for the vampires. My Deadsdrop are just in bloom, purple rose petals sweet and savory... to smell one will leave you catatonic for days on end while you bleed from the nose profusely. A vampire’s lunch if I do say so... Hmm. Quiet confessor whom lays so pretty at my feet... My fingers were well adept to pull your mask from you, and now i await the other I have heard so much of. My master requires both and I will deliver... Quiet confessor! You are the least of any Apok I have taken... There, there, smell more Deadsdrop and bleed. We will sit here on this island on the River of death and await our prize... Penitent comes for us and I the Blood Whitch will claim him!
Raynard at +1, 18 lithe rangers led by Ricco
” Allright Roughnecks, you lithe agile bastards lets move out! We got some good intel about a fracking psi-ghost known as the lady of death. You hear any weird fracking music just shoot or kill it. However, if anyone takes my walkman I will gut you! Commander Kurling gave me a special briefing about this target. She can walk through walls and confound your senses. She is number 5 on the coalition’s kill list right below Lord Coake and Erin Tarin so she must be a bad ass... And you all know that is the right kind of ass for us to kick! Keep your helmets on and wrap them in tin foil. Ricco’s Roughnecks roll out.”

I can sense you coming Raynard, number six... I know you but you do not know me per the terms of our brotherhood... However as I entrance and ensorcell those closest to you, you will begin to know me. When I find you and slide my blade into your neck... Then your knowledge will be complete. Until then, enjoy the dreams of dance from your Lady of Death.
Ashlyn at +1, 16 fearless rangers lead by Nestor Calis
Vampire Monkey’s are perhaps one of the most interesting blend of nature and the vampire condition. Some might think they are an abberation but in fact it cannot be further from the truth. There is an intelegence that solely covets the monkey or ape subtype. Going to far to limit its influence and power on rifts earth by only allowing itself to be spread through only them. In fact these monkey vampires are far from being akin to the wild vampires. They all have far more power and are each as deadly as a lesser demon. Fangs as sharp as a vibro blade, able to tear an APC apart as a swarm. Their psionic abilities are almost 2 fold that of a normal vampire and just less than a master. Sadly a group of rangers will soon find themselves at their mercy. I wonder what will become of them. - From the Chronicles of the Vampire Kindom written by Caleb the Chronicler.
Kir at +2 and 1 fatigue level, 6 scrappy rangers lead by Tycho Emsworth, and team leader
We are In a dark place shrouded from view at the rivers west bank my three other Iron Gaurdsmen, Rob, Bob, and Robert. I Desh am alone in thought. We await the Gloryspirit of Asnir where we will dip our dark soul forged blades into his well embuing them to heights unknown. So many vampire’s roam these lands and like my true master the Crafter I too find them distainful and cannot wait for the day we throw off their yoke and take this world for our selves... What is keeping those rangers? The imp said he would direct them down this way... Bob has a question and I must fathom a response... ”Ughhhh, Blahhggrr. Bluber Bluber Blagghhh.”
Vela at +0, 20 trackers and sneaky rangers led by Sam and Sulannus
The rangers come forth into the lands claimed by Shadesire the Master Vampire serving the one who dwells in Etzna. Much of these wild vampires are under my thrall and I smell something so delightful on the air... Jaguar... What should I tell the enemy mine of her peoples plight? They seek new hunting grounds... Haha, they are in far more peril than the starvation that grips their bellies. My master hidden from sight has set in motion an awakening of the jaguar peoples destruction... In two months time... Hmm the wind shifts, she approaches and I must hunt the hunter. My wild vampires heed me and dystroy those rangers which you find. I will meet you at the water’s edge Jaguar and while you think yourself safe... Shadesire’s fang will make you my bride!
Krys at +1, 19 fearless rangers led by Grizzly Carter and Bet'ani
”Krysenia? Where are you? There is a fog and blinding stench in this dark morass that even my elven senses are unable to pierce... What was that? Did you hear something? Something shifts and lurks out here... The ground is soft and black patches threaten to swollow me whole. Its like the land is set against us. Krys can you hear me? I cannot see the leyline! I thought we were on approach but I have lost sight of it. The map I drew has wilted and turned to mush in this humid part of the river... So humid its like the undying night clings to my mody melting me like a ball of wax atop a thick fire... What was that? Krys are you out there?”

Player Directions on how to run the covert action
Covert Action Details:
  • Success Needed: 5. Every success below 5 will add a negative modifer to the next. Every success above 5 will add a positive modifier up to a +4 and at 10 an additional boon will be granted.
  • Scene Penalty: -2, make sure you modify this by the at blank next to your name above.
  • TN for a success: 11 (SNAFU, elite enemies oppose you at every turn).
  • Covert Action Skills allowed (Players must choose 1 of the following skills to make for their covert Action): Computers, Electronics, Investigation, Notice, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery, Repair and Tradecraft. These skills can be modified by the rangers themselves and by expending resources below. Please keep track of all resources as they have yet to reset. Although players with faster than normal recharge rates can gain 2 ppt back for each of those edges they have and cannot go above the max.(add this in prior to expending resources below).
  • Resources Spent: As a default your character spends 4 Power Points and 3 troops. Before rolling declare if you would like to have your character risk more or expend more resources for a better chance of success. Note: you must have the resources to spend them. If wound or fatigue levels are chosen in lui of resources they stick with you until the GM says otherwise (Generally at a rest stop with a save point).
    • -2: Conserve your energy - Believing it may be an easy battle you accept an additional -2 to your roll in exchange for spending 1/2 resources (rounded down).
    • +0: In The Fight - Wanting to stay on top of things you fight like a professional. You roll without an additional modifier for the default resource cost.
    • +2: Serious Business - You do not play around and do what you have to in order to ensure victory, even when it requires risking yourself. You may double the resources spent, or accept 1 Fatigue or 1 Wound to gain a bonus of +2 to this roll.
    • +4: No Matter The Cost - When Battle comes you go all in, winning no matter the personal cost. You may triple the resources spent, or accept 2 Fatigue or 2 Wounds to gain a bonus of +4 to this roll.
  • Narrate the roll result, the below gives some indication of the benifits of various levels of rolls.
    • Critical Failure (-1): The hero is stopped by overwhelming numbers, an unfortunate tactical development, or bad fortune. He suffers 2 wounds which cannot be soaked and looses 8 additional troops. This also adds 1 more success to the challenge. Critfailures also roll on this special table: Karl and the Rangers
      • Failure is Awesome: A Player who critfailures either by choice or roll can gain a roll on the Undercover and Black Ops table as they learn a thing or two about how to be covert in the future.
    • Failure (+0): The hero generally succeeds but not without a grave cost or an unfortunate tactical development. He suffers 1 Wound (The Hero may spend a Bennie as usual to make a Soak roll if desired.) and looses 3 extra troops.
    • Success (11) (+1): The hero fights well and adds +1 to success to his team’s efforts. He adds 1 success to his side’s battle. Though the dangers of the battle put him at risk of receiving a serious wound. Your hero must make a Vigor roll (no additional penalties), Failure he suffers a wound, on success he suffers no wound.
    • Raise(15) (+2): The hero wreaks havoc, slaying enemy leaders and destroying important assets. He adds 2 successes to his side’s battle. Escaping the dangers of battle he finds himself uninjured any further. In addition you gain a Benny and ignores up to 3 troops lost.
    • Two or More Raises(19) (+3): The warrior covers himself in glory! Many foes fall before him and his success inspires his allies to fight like demons. His efforts add +3 (or more) to his side’s successes and he emerges from the fight unscathed. He takes no additional wounds. The character may also reduce another player's Critical Failure result to a normal failure if he narrates how he interfered. In addition you gain a Benny, or things lined up well for you, your character was able to conserve resources more than expected, as a result regain half of the resources spent for this roll.
  • Narrate it all. Tell us the story of how your covert efforts helped or hindered your efforts to reach the foothills of Zacatecus. Go wild and make up whatever you think makes sense based on the narration set before you.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Part 6.2: Journey to Zacatecus (The River)- Covert Actio

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Zacatecas, Mexico
All day
Round 0
Rangers Co-op roll 5; 1 success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Ashlyn Notice 19; 2 Raises for +3
-2 difficulty, +2 Alertness, +1 ranger co-op, +4 No Matter the Cost (2 Wounds)
Notice [dice]2[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Benny Extra Effort [dice]5[/dice]
Forgot the +1 modifier from above!
Halve rescources: 2 PPE and 1 Ranger and no Wounds taken
“This is where we saw the vampire monkeys,” Ashlyn whispered, holding up a hand to stop the rangers’ advance. “Be quiet, and no sudden movements.”

The trees were dark beneath the unnatural night of the morning sky. Occasionally the glint of glowing green eyes could be seen in the shadows, followed by a rustle. They crept along the riverbank. Ashlyn watched the trees. Close. They were nearly there.

Ashlyn and her rangers hurried the others along, forming a rear guard. As soon as they were clear of the danger, Ashlyn suddenly stiffened, her neck tingling. She murmured a prayer and she saw the outlines of the horde in the trees with her mystic awareness.

“Be ready!” Ashlyn yelled to her team. Andale! They come!”

There was a screeching howl as the trees erupted. Small primates leapt on the rangers. But they were ready. Silver bullets riddled the monkeys, and Ashlyn and Nestor stood back to back. Ashlyn blasted with celestial silver, and Nestor tore them in half with the bare hands of his Samson power armor and lobed UV grenades and fired UV lasers. Other rangers worked to force hordes of the little spider monkeys into the river.

Ashlyn screamed in pain as a monkey bit down through her armor. Nestor ripped it off of her and held out a hand to help her up.

“You alright, chica? he asked.

“I will be.” Ashlyn took a moment to heal. They seemed to be past the worst of it, the monkeys retreating into the trees. “How many?”

Nestor surveyed the rangers as they licked their wounds. “We only lost Hernando,” he told Ashlyn. “Thanks to you.”

Ashlyn shook her head. “Even one is too many,” she said sadly. “I will pray for his soul.” She crossed herself.

“There are always casualties in war, hermanita. Nestor said. “Come. There is still a long way to go.”

Conditions
Ashlyn Alvarez Character Sheet
Parry: 8; Toughness: Melee: 18 (9)/Range: 22 (13) + 2 vs supernatural evil
Encumbered: -2 to Str and Agi related rolls
Wild Die always a d8
Whenever you cast a spell with a Raise, reduce the PPE cost by 1 (min 0)
Dodge: -1 to by hit by ranged attacks
Champion: +2 damage and Toughness vs. supernatural evil
Nerves of Steel: Ignore 1 point of Wound penalties
All Thumbs: When roll a 1 on Trait die while using tech, the device breaks.
Brave: +2 Fear tests
PPE: 20/20
ISP: 20/20
Shield: 10/10 PPE
Rangers: Nestor Calis and 15 rangers
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Bennies: 8/3
Adventure Cards
  • Speedy Gonzalez: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • Extra Effort: Play to add +1d6 to any trait roll. This roll may Ace.
Character Tracker
Champion (+2 Damage, +2 Toughness)
Remember Blanca (WC; d8 all attributes, Strength d12+4)
Ashlyn Alvarez Character Sheet
Parry: 8; Toughness: Melee: 18 (9)/Range: 22 (13) + 2 vs supernatural evil
Encumbered: -2 to Str and Agi related rolls
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
Whenever you cast a spell with a Raise, reduce the PPE cost by 1 (min 0)
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
Dodge: -1 to be hit by ranged attacks
Champion: +2 damage and Toughness vs. supernatural evil
Nerves of Steel: Ignore 1 point of Wound penalties
All Thumbs: When roll a 1 on Trait die while using tech, the device breaks.
Brave: +2 Fear tests
PPE: 15/25
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
ISP: 18/25
  • Telekinesis, Mind Reading, Puppet
Shield: 7/10 PPE
  • Deflection
Wand: 7/10 PPE
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Bennies: 0/4
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Notice 15
Spend a Benny for Rangers to be helpful heroes: 15.
  • Skill die [dice]0[/dice], Ace [dice]2[/dice], Ace [dice]4[/dice].
  • Wild die [dice]1[/dice], Ace [dice]3[/dice].
Grynn leading the Rangers on a Notice check = 15 total.
  • +2 for narration; -2 for scene; +4 No Matter The Cost; +3 for rangers helping = +7 total.
  • Notice die [dice]5[/dice], Wild die [dice]6[/dice].
  • Benny for Extra Effort: [dice]7[/dice].
Results:
  • 0 Rangers lost.
  • 4 Power Points lost.
  • 2 Fatigue gained.
Grynn carried several of the Rangers on his large dragon back, and Akel-Rah Skysinger flew alongside. It wasn't easy, the weight and unwieldiness of the many Rangers was hard on the young dragon, tiring Grynn a bit. They landed mostly silently, Akel-Rah moving in to take out one of the enemy sentries while the Rangers 'dismounted' from Grynn and began spreading out. It didn't take long for the silence to be broken as Grynn's massive tail swung in to two of the snake-like enemies - a cry of pain went out before they were silenced and the rest of the enemy took notice.

He sheltered several of the rangers from attack while they used their plasma ejectors to and mini-rail guns to began systematically wiping out pockets of resistance from the snakes. Most of the rangers spent a long time taking down the various and many chains strung across the river. It wasn't easy - they were designed not to be lowered too easily and they were definitely resistant to being broken. Grynn was breathing very heavily by the time the fight was done. He wasn't wounded per se, but just really tired. He had began flying around and corralling as many of the enemies as he could together to make it easier for the rangers to blast them. He also kept his keen eyes out for noticing their hiding places and the various traps that were setup. Those would be just as deadly as a gun or blade if not spotted in time.

He finally landed and laid down on his large dragon back, chest heaving. Akel-Rah came over, stood silently for a moment, and then patted the dragon's shoulder. "Good work, hatchling. You may be young, but already you show the way to heroism." He nodded and walked away, as Grynn feebly raised one claw and tried to ask for succor but the birdman's attention was already on other tasks.
Grynn
Character Summary
Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling
Special: Cursed with Awesome (You can reroll a 1 on the wild die - unless it is a crit fail. Once per session you can declare an awesome moment and before rolling decide to add your wild die to your trait roll); Fear (in dragon form); Flight 12 (in dragon form); Impervious to Fire; Infravision; Size +6 (in dragon form); Slow Regeneration; Spirit rolls (+2)
Active effects:
Parry: 5 ; Toughness (Dragon form): 34(16); Toughness (Human form): 17(8)
Weapons: Claws/Bite, Fire Breath, Powers, Tail Lash
Edges: AB Magic, AB Psionic, Attractive, Metamorphosis, Power Surge

Charisma: 0 (+2 with Dragons)
Bennies: 3 from Blaze of Glory

ISP: 15/15
PPE: 20/30
Powers: Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Invisibility, Light/Obscure, Slumber, Smite

Wounds:
Fatigue::

Currently playing in: Vampire Kingdoms
Kir Gloryspirit
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kir Gloryspirit »

Notice 15, No Matter the Cost, -2 Bennies, +2 Wounds
The BBQ Shish Kabob Squad helps out!
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Notice: [dice]2[/dice] (-2 Scene, -1 Fatigue, +4 No Matter the Cost +2 Scene, +2 Alertness, +1 Rangers)
Extra Effort: [dice]4[/dice]
Wild: [dice]3[/dice]
Kir leads the way with Tycho's Shish Kabob squad. As they near the hidden outpost, Kir calls for a halt and addresses his allies, "A great danger lies beyond, and it is one which must be dealt with quickly and quietly. We shall take our squad and deal with it ourselves. We are assured that it is safe for you to remain here briefly, so do not worry. We shall return in time to continue our mission without risking discovery."

Kir directs his handful of ranger's forward. One soon motions for a halt. Kir approaches the ranger who points at 4 figures clad in dark plate armor. Had Kir not seen these creatures with his own eyes, he may not have been able to adequately instruct the rangers what to watch for. Fortunately, he took that risk and it has paid off. The iron guardsmen are in the perfect position to ambush their squad!

Kir held two fingers up with one hand, and pointed towards two rangers with his other hand. Then with the first hand he points at Tycho. He motions for the three of them to get just a little closer and wait. Then he motions for the other 3 rangers to follow him. "We will catch them in a pincer attack. With Tycho distracting them, we will take them from the rear and end this quickly."

While Kir's group was circling behind the iron guards, Tycho sneezed. He sneezed fire. And all hell broke loose.

The iron guards yelled some gibberish and charged Kir's group. His was the closer group, and the fiery sneeze illuminated them clearly through the unnatural darkness.

Kir shouted to his rangers, "Fall back! Fall Back! Gather around Tycho and protect him. Tycho, Burn them all!"

The shish kabob squad regrouped and then rallied around Tycho, and Kir assaulted the Iron Guards head on. Tycho's squad kept the enemies from overwhelming Kir all at once. Any time there was an opening for another iron guard to step in, a blazing inferno erupted in that very spot.

"Kir. This enemy is too much for you alone. Your rangers, too, are insufficient for this task. These creatures can suck the very soul of a man into their weapons, Kir, and their armor is formidible," Asnir boomed inside Kir's mind. Another man might have been deeply disturbed by these words, but Kir was a warrior with unshakable faith in the deity within him, and he merely battled on while Asnir spoke.

Laughter booms within his head, and across the battlefield, as Asnir continues, "But I have not had any fun in quite some time, Kir, and I am not a man.

Orange lightning fell from the heavens and struck one of the iron guards and arced between each one before striking Kir in the chest. As it touched him, Kir grew in stature. His muscles bulged and his eyes leaked divine light. His staff responded to it as well, each end bursting into holy flame.

Asnir and Kir shout at the enemies before them, "We shall release you from the evil which binds you. No more shall you plague this realm!"

With the strength and will of a god fully inhabiting his body, Kir dispatched the iron guards beautifully. Tycho and his men watched, mesmerized as Kir parried each slash, simply danced around others, and bashed in armor with blow after blow.

Yet, still the battle raged. Kir dispatched the first one by cracking its armor in half with his staff. As the breastplate fell from the undead's mummified torso, he used his god imbued strength to impale the guard with his staff, piercing its heart. Holy fire burned through its body, disintegrating it entirely and leaving nothing but plate armor behind.

Kir danced between the remaining three iron guards, and similar fates awaited them. He dispatched one after another, and when the last one fell, an enormous thunderclap pealed out across the battlefield, and a massive bolt of lightning struck upwards, into the heavens.

It lasted only minutes, but the battle was so intense that it felt like hours. In their excitement, Tycho and the shish kabob squad cheered out into the unnatural night, foolishly, but it was cut short. As the divinity fled from Kir's body, the Mystic collapsed to the ground. Tycho reached him first, and Kir whispered between bloody coughs, "The cost...is high when...when the gods act directly upon our realm."

Tycho helps Kir up, and Kir nearly collapses when he tries to steady himself. Kir asks Tycho, "Help me back to our forces, my friend. I will have recovered enough to walk before we get there. And tell no one what this battle cost me. It would not do to have our allies concerned over such minor injuries."
Kir Gloryspirit, God-Touched Mystic of Asnir, God of War
Kir Gloryspirit, God-Touched Mystic
Charisma: 3; Pace: 6; Parry: 8(1); Toughness: 10(5)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Alertness: +2 to Notice
    Champion: Add +2 damage vs supernaturally evil creatures and +2 Toughness vs damage from supernaturally evil sources.
    Cosmic Confluence: 2 PPE to 1 ISP & Vice Versa (use immediately)
    Crapsack World: Roll an additional Wild die per Trait roll. Tripple 1's = roll a new char?
    Danger Sense: Notice -2 to know something is about to happen; On hold if success
    Even Stronger Willed: +2 Taunt/Intimidation, +2 Smarts/Spirit vs Tests of Will, +2 vs Fear/Puppet
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2
PPE: 8/25; PPE: 0/10; PPE: 10/15; ISP: 8/20
Bennies: 0/3; Sun Dogs: 2/4
Adventure Cards
Edit Signature
Kir Gloryspirit speaking/thinking
Asnir, god of war speaking (directly into the mind)
Asnir speaking through Kir Gloryspirit (both speaking simultaneously)
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Notice 19 - success and 2 raises
Ndreare will be shooting forward cautiously.
Reserving Every and Holding Back for an additional -2, but expending 1/2 the resources.

Rodney [dice]0[/dice]
4) Rod is timely in his advice and engages his covert mode granting you a +2 to your roll.

Using Notice d12+2, -2 Scene, +2 Rodney

Notice [dice]1[/dice]
Notice Wild Die [dice]2[/dice] Ace [dice]3[/dice] Ace aced [dice]4[/dice]

Extra Effort [dice]5[/dice]
Yes, I know it is wasteful, but I have been feeling wasteful this week.
With the plan laid out the team begins heading to the castle. The inability to refill at the ley line was frustrating, but not a deal breaker.

Heading up the rangers did everything they could to avoid the hazards identified earlier. Those void cursed storm bringers where a danger he did not wish to lose men to, but there where so many other hazards and with mention of vampire monkeys he was on guard.

Even Rodney was having trouble relaying comms as the area had enough storm interference to scramble the smaller handheld devices intermittently.

The team moved through the mountains like a breeze leaving no trail, each man vigilant for the signs they were told to look for and able to come and go without risk. Spotting a dense area near the bottom of a ravine they needed to get through the scouts reported five Maelstrom Makers ahead.

Telling the others to stay behind him by about 15 meters Yodh led the way. Getting to the horrible monster Yodh walked into their midst unafraid. When they noticed him, as one they turned ready to unleash their magic on him, but it was not truly Yodh they were attacking, instead being only an illusion.

With the skill of one of the greatest assassins in three galaxies, now four, Yodh unleashed dealy strokes one after another slipping through time and space. When the rest of the team arrived the creatures where already dead, some of them rotting as if they died months ago.

Ndreare was glad for it. A threat like this could have easily taken the lives of his men if not for the superior skills of Yodh and cautious nature of their approach.
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status
Parry: 9
Toughness: 22 (8)
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
PPE: 27 of 35 base 20 without gear

Gear Charges:
  • Amulet of the Archmage: 0/5
  • Abrandis’ Honorblade PPE: 10/10
  • Night's Kiss PPE: 0/10
  • T.W.-B.A.G.: 5/5
  • Wilk's 237: 16/16 x2
  • Wilks 447: 20/20 x2

Current effects:
  • Armor Features Activated

Bennies: 4 +1 Red Benny (Roll d10 extra effort, or reroll with a d10 wild die)
  • +5 Quarterly Reset + Great Luck.
    +1 Benny for some outstanding RP!
    +1 From GM for Art of Maker.
    -1 For Vigor Roll to Soak critical failure wound.
    +1 Benny for choosing not to use second action after critical failure per Pender in Hangouts.
    -1 Benny, Agility to interrupt Hammers after everyone went on hold for chit chat.
    -2 Interfere with Rifts rerolled twice.

Adventure Cards
Special GM removed, need interlude to obtain
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Survival 13, 1 success
Spending a Benny to have rangers be helpful
Notice [dice]0[/dice] = Ace [dice]2[/dice] = Ace [dice]3[/dice] = Success with two raises, for a +3 bonus
Wild [dice]1[/dice]

Using Survival to avoid the environmental-based challenges set out by the Blood Witch.
Base skill 1d6+2, -2 scene modifier, +3 from rangers assistance = 1d6+3

Survival [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]

Benny for Extra Effort + Elan
[dice]6[/dice] EDIT: forgot +2 from Elan, total is 13 = Success

Vigor to resist Wound [dice]7[/dice]
Wild [dice]8[/dice]

2 Bennies used, 4 PPE used, 3 rangers die
Some darkly cunning mind was obviously behind the array of deadly flora blocking their path, but Penitent would be damned (again) if he was going to let a gardener stop him from putting demons in the ground. As it was, his squad of rangers proved equally committed, and quite creative in handling the obstacles ahead.

Carving up the scrapped titanium alloys of Fort Reid's walls, they fashioned wide metal skis to protect their feet from the bloodbriar, and carried larger pieces as shields against the whollyspike. The flesh of sweetstalk cacti packed into nostrils and stuffed into wet bandanas blocked the soporific pheromones released by the deadsdrop roses.

At the river, they shoved a brace of squealing wild boars into the water, distracting the fanged fish and other horrors with fresh blood long enough to paddle across in hollowed-out cacti trunks.

Under cover of darkness, the rangers stalked across the island, predators now as they stalked and staked the vampiric sentries. Inside the adobe compound, three rangers lost their lives, but the assault remained lop-sided, dozens of vampires reduced to ash for every mortal who fell.

Blade burning with the sun's light, his armor covered with the ashes of a horde of the undead, Penitent kicks open the door to the Blood Witch's inner sanctum. Her pale skin is stained red with blood as she looks up from the body of the Confessor, who's skin has been flayed to expose the expanding and contracting muscles of her chest.

Without a word, Penitent flips Durendal in the air, reversing his grip, then flings the glowing blade like a spear. It impales the Blood Witch just under her breastbone, severing her spine and pinning her to the wall.

Gasping for breath, she snarls: "Finish me, then, apok, it will not change your fate. You will squirm and beg as your soul shrivels under the gaze of my masters. But rejoice in my death, if it lets you cling to your delusions for a moment longer."

Penitent's glowering demon mask shows no emotion as he loosens the chains binding the Confessor to the table.

"I take no joy in your death -- it was necessary, and I will bring the same necessary ends to your masters," he says, then jerks a thumb toward the Confessor, who reaches down to grab her demon mask before Karl can run off with it. "Now she, on the other hand, is like to take great joy in your death, which I imagine will be a rather prolonged affair."

Nodding to the Confessor, he makes for the door, then turns as the other apok calls out: "Wait."

With a tug, she yanks Durendal out of the wall, sending the Blood Witch tumbling to the floor, wailing in pain.

"Don't forget your sword. I think I can make do with these rusty shears and flensing knives. I won't be long ... not too long, anyway," she says, then turns toward the soon-to-be subject of her ministrations.

"Now, what were you saying earlier about the nature of pain, you devil-rotted bitch ..."
Penitent
Quick Stats
Wormwood Apok
Bennies: 0/3 +1 Red Benny (1d10 for EE or 1d10 Wild Die on a reroll)
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (1d12), Vigor d10 (1d12) -1 Fatigue
Charisma: -2 (-4); Pace: 8 (d10); Parry: 8 (9); Toughness: 20 (8) or 22 (8) with mask; 32 (18) with greater armor
Hindrances: Heroic, Death Wish, Overconfident, Delusional (Dunscon is the Unholy), Vow (Find daughter)
Notice d8, Intimidation d8+2
Edges and Abilities of Note: Improved Level-Headed (draw 3 initiative cards); Immune to Fear, +4 vs. mind control and possession; Notice roll to detect surprise attack or ambush by supernatural/magic foes; Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted; Gain AP 2 with melee attacks for 1 PPE; Champion
PPE: 4/20 + 10/10 (demon mask) + 10/10 (Karl - ?)
Powers (all Mega): armor with shroud trapping (ranged attacks are -1), auto-raise, cast as free action; blast with flammable and hallowed trapping (counts as cold and silver); fear with hallowed trapping (supernatural and magic are -2 to resist); quickness; smite with hallowed trapping (holy and silver), auto-raise, cast as free action.
Adventure Cards:
Active Effects: quickness with a Raise (Gains an extra round of actions, redraws Initiative of 8 or less), greater armor with a Raise (+10 Armor), and fly(at Pace)
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Stealth 12 vs 11, Success; -3 Bennies
Stealth [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice] + [dice]2[/dice]+6 (EE) +1 (Ranger Assistance)-1 (scene penalty after bonus) = 12 - one success
Rangers Be Helpful [dice]3[/dice], [dice]4[/dice]

Resources Spent: 4 Power Points (recover 2), -3 troops, -3 Bennies
Bet'ani, lacking the experience and control of Carter, jabbers at her radio. "Miss Krysesia? Where are you? There is a fog and blinding stench in this dark morass that even my elven senses are unable to pierce... What was that? Did you hear something? Something shifts and lurks out here... The ground is soft and black patches threaten to swallow me whole. It's like the land is set against us. Miss Krysesia can you hear me? I cannot see the leyline! I thought we were on approach but I have lost sight of it. The map I drew has wilted and turned to mush in this humid part of the river... So humid it's like the undying night clings to my body melting me like a ball of wax atop a thick fire... What was that? Miss, are you out there?"

Grizzley carter puts a hand on her shoulder. "Have faith child, and calm yourself. The only thing you are doing is drawing attention to us."
Suddenly one of the others calls out. "Tomas is missing."
Then a rush of wings sounds as Serenia lands. "No, Tomas is dead, but he is also at peace. His death was quick, unlike his attacker's. Here, I brought his weapon." She hands it to the one who noticed he was gone. "Stay within arms reach of each other, but don't bunch up too much. This too, we shall pass."
Grizzley looks to the angel. "You two hunting our hunters?" It was the first time he'd verbally acknowledged they were being hunted, as some of them had begun to suspect. He had known for quite some time. He also knew why Krysesia was radio silent. Their air mobility was too great an asset to give away. So it had been stealth.
She nods. "And I must get back to it. Krysesia has brought down six of the creatures hunting us, I have taken down three, but alas her two escorts were not as lucky. She tells me Princessa herself ripped their attackers to shreds, but each man counts 4 kills to their legacy. You're veering off course. Bear 30 degrees right. I'll return in a few minutes, I must scout ahead." With another rush of wings, she is off, but soon they can't even hear that.
"How do they sneak while flying," one of them asks, in awe.
"The same way owls do, my boy. Still, it's a tricky business."
Krysesia of Clan Skellian, True Atlantean Shifter
Quick Stats
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 21(10) in armor; Strain: 0
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Bennies, Wounds, and Power Points: Tracked Here
Raynard Lucas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Raynard Lucas »

In the fight
Stealth 11
Stealth 11
[dice]0[/dice] -1 scene modifier
Explode [dice]2[/dice]
Benny for Extra Effort [dice]3[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Vigor [dice]4[/dice]
Explode [dice]6[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]5[/dice]
Raynard and his crew move in the shadows, where they're most comfortable. They scout ahead and whenever a threat is encountered it is quickly and lethally dealt with. They would've gone completely unscathed were it not for the nightmares. The first night one of the men wanders off into the jungle. The search for him for an hour or so but he is never found. The second night one dies in his sleep. A young healthy robust man in his prime, just suddenly dead, two small red dots on his throat. The third in the middle of patrol runs screaming into the jungle. When Raynard and the roughnecks catch up he puts his gun into his mouth and yells "Take that!" right before firing.

Return to “Chronicles of the Vampire Kingdoms”