Part 4: El Paso

Heroes of the Vampire Kingdoms
GM: Pender Lumkiss
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Part 4: El Paso

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

• While the comotion of the vampire's death did draw the attention of most patrons, a collective sigh is felt as one more vampire dies. You all get the feeling from them that at one point or another vampires have taken a loved one from them. It would seem many whom are eating at the leyline fueled burger joint are either on their way to or from El Paso. The rest of the trip up the Rio Grande to el Paso is fairly uneventful but you do run accross a group of settlers. The caravan of settlers is protected by a band of three warrior rodents. News of the New Del Rio protectorship had reached their little town just south of El Paso and they are on there way seeking a new life. The smallest of the rodents gives Penitent a strange look and meekly says, “ One of you is rumored to be near El Paso, arrived not more than a week or two ago.” Three days pass and you begin to see the sheep and cattle herds of many of the farmers that call El Paso their home. It would seem the vampire attack that hit New Del Rio did not go this far north.
  • El Paso is generally considered the last vestige of civilization in the American southwest. To the north are the badlands of new Mexico and Colorado. West are the prairies and deserts of Arizona, Utah and Nevada. South, the old Mexican empire is reduced to wide open steppes, populated by tiny communities of peasant farmers, sheepherders, vampires and other supernatural terrors. The nearest city to El Paso is 70 miles directly south across the rio grande called Juarez City ( rumored not to be a place for civilized people). El Paso itself is what passes as sparkling clean in these areas. The streets are wide enough to accommodate robot armors, even a CS Enforcer! The city is alive with a constant thrum of travelers such as yourself arriving and departing daily. Shops of all manner exist in the central bazaar ready to sell the traveler a wish and prayer.
El Paso
El Paso.jpg
  • As you pass through the city gates an hour or two before sun down, you notice they are well patrolled by a city police force. There are at least 2-4 police members every 2 blocks. You even see a couple of them roughing up a young D’norr kid caught red handed with stolen food. It would seem by the way they are beating this kid, they have zero tolerance for thieves.

It looks like there are three ways the group can go.
The Bazzar, 1st option
The Bazaar beckons forth with its twinkling wonders calling the heroes flush with 150,000 credits. Pretty much anything is available within reason and enough credits. The El Paso Magic shop dominates the bazaar, even dwarfing the Naruni warehouse. Perhaps the only other shop that rivals the magic shop is the Halloway Armor’s and Outfitters six story building. The magic shop is filled with books, jars, vials, and boxes. The isles are wide and clean and smell of incense. A friendly shop keeper Zalfeel about 3 feet tall dressed in cowboy garb, smiles his old gnarled face at you should you enter, “ Welcome, Welcome… Past by New Del Rio recently did we… What can I help you with on this fine day, although you should find accommodations before night fall, a storm will be coming in.”
Zalfeel.jpg
Travlers Inn House, 2nd option
The second place that catches your eye is the Travler’s Inn, a very popular 500 room hotel ran by the Travler’s family and extended family. There you will find an astute room from 150 credits complete with a nice bed, place to store personal effects and a private bath. The main hall is filled with travelers of all kinds come to size up the competition for the Call for Heroes. It is not hard to tell that most folk are probably not going to enter, but a very gregarious bear named Bentan approaches you, “ Welcome to the Inn friend, you look furious and friendly. My name is Bentan, a mystic…. My calling brought me and my friends to El Paso. We must make it to the end, I have asked the mother below and she tells me or at least I think she told me I must be the one to take the mantel…” His voice drops and he smiles realizing he might have been a bit overbearing. “ Ahh where are my manners, who might you be? Have you come to participate in the Call for Heroes. Most say they come to participate, but only seven groups have entered. The final hour of registration is upon us, for the contest begins tomorrow.” The Bear points out the door down the way to the great arena and the bar that sits at its foot. A dogboy sits next to a sign that is flashing Call for Heroes registration-20,000 credits. The bear man continues, “ A hefty sum for the entry fee...I wish you well, but not too well should your match be against me and my Glades.”
IMG_0158.JPG
Pits and Pull, Arena and Bar, 3rd option
The Arena and Bar that sits at its foot are one of the marvels of El Paso. The bar is called Pits and Bulls, it is the typical rough and tumble bar that seems to cater to humanoid animals. Feline folk, dogboys, lions, tigers, and bears plus a variety of others are its patrons. The drink specialty seems to be some kind of milk mixed with gut shot whiskey with a dash of nutmeg: ironically named Animal Milk. Rex is out front and greets you with a growling voice, “ Not animals I see…” He looks you up and down, “ Strong bearings… We are looking for heroes. Perhaps you have heard of Reid’s Rangers. They are looking for the best of the best to end the vampires. Do you have what it takes to rise to the top?” He smiles viciously, “ For 20,000 creds you and up to an 8 person party can register. The winner will be shown to the Rangers and the glory that awaits! It is said the chosen heroes that are left standing will finish what the great Lengdosia could not accomplish!” The dog boy laughs assuming the name passes over the head of whomever he tells it too. He looks at the setting sun and taps his registration book with a pre-rift pen. " Word to the wise... I only got about an hour left to find the 8th group, when sundown hits, the streets go to the animals and registration is closed."
Arena El Paso.jpg
Rex Thunderpaw.jpg
Go ahead and RP, I gave you three NPCs to interact with. If you are looking for information, roll a persuasion or intimidation depending on your desire when interacting with them. The amount of raises scored will determine what they know and how helpful they will be. Alternatively you can hit the streets looking for information on whatever may please your character. If so desired roll a streetwise roll. You can add +1 for every 10,000 creds up to 40k. If something else sparked your interest go there, this is your new play thing so have fun!
  • My assumption is you guys sold off all your excess gear at the hamburger joint and everyone got 150,000 creds
  • All items from the tomorrow legion guide are available if you have the creds.
  • My general assumption is that the group will enter the contest, and if you have read the vampire source book some of this might start seeming familiar but with my own twist. :D
    • I have done only the plot points of the contest, so do not feel railroaded to that path, it is just there, if there is another path you wish to take lets do it. I go where you point.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Part 4: El Paso

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 7 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 4 Success
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

As the Zone Ranger parked in front of the Travelers Inn House, Ashlyn looked around the city. She had never been to El Paso before. It was the largest city she had ever been in. The grand Bazaar stretched out on one side of the inn, and a large gladiatorial arena to the other side.

Ashlyn slipped Blanca into the carry sling she had fashioned, petting the tiny white dog’s fur. The mystic had been quiet most of the way to El Paso, still grieving her mother and lost in her thoughts. Her eyes sparked with silver fire, however, when she saw the police officers beating the little D’Norr boy.

Ashlyn murmured a prayer, and her skin started to glow, surrounding her in a nimbus of holy light, making her very noticeable in the crowd as she stalked toward the police officers.

“Policia!” Ashlyn barked in a commanding voice. “Is this necessary?” she demanded, eyes glowing silver, surrounded by light, streaks of silver standing out in her black hair, which seemed to lift in a supernatural breeze, all of which made her more beautiful and more intimidating.

Conditions:
  • Holy Presence: +2 Cha, +2 Intimidation, +2 for enemy attack rolls and Notice.
Boost Intimidation 7 Success
Mysticism [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Intimidation 7
Boosted, and Holy Presence
Intimidation [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]7[/dice]
Character Tracker
Champion (+2 Damage, +2 Toughness)
Remember Blanca (WC; d8 all attributes, Strength d12+4)
Ashlyn Alvarez Character Sheet
Parry: 8; Toughness: Melee: 18 (9)/Range: 22 (13) + 2 vs supernatural evil
Encumbered: -2 to Str and Agi related rolls
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
Whenever you cast a spell with a Raise, reduce the PPE cost by 1 (min 0)
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
Dodge: -1 to be hit by ranged attacks
Champion: +2 damage and Toughness vs. supernatural evil
Nerves of Steel: Ignore 1 point of Wound penalties
All Thumbs: When roll a 1 on Trait die while using tech, the device breaks.
Brave: +2 Fear tests
PPE: 15/25
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
ISP: 18/25
  • Telekinesis, Mind Reading, Puppet
Shield: 7/10 PPE
  • Deflection
Wand: 7/10 PPE
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Bennies: 0/4
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

OOC Comments
Spirit Roll with Iron Will [dice]0[/dice]

While perhaps they don't back down as fast as Ashlyn would like, and maybe one of the gaurds gets one last kick. The "leader" of these guards pushes the kid to Ashlyn. The gaurd seems to be a jet black dog boy and he growls," Wretch is on your hands now lady. Anything that turns up missing is on you. See to it that you put him on a leash. If he steals Constable Halloway will come find you. Lets move down the block, Ms. Dominguez just issued another complaint against her husband."

The little D'Norr boy shuffles forward his face more red than normal with splotches of blue bruises. After the police turn the corner he pulls off his shoe and hands a diamond necklace to Ashlyn. The necklace itself has beautiful clasp on the back inscribed with an elegant H. " Th- Thank you, I am not Wretch... W'tantch is my name. Would you like to buy this necklace, only 10,000 credits. A good deal." He glances down the street towards a few alleys and such, " I am free or now I belong to you?"
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Nobody likes Penitent
Notice to try to find a TW Hellfire Hand Cannon [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]

Notice to try to find a TW 7-11 League Boots [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]3[/dice]

Notice to try to find some TW "alchemical juicer" armor [dice]4[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]5[/dice]
Benny for Extra Effort + Elan [dice]8[/dice]+2+5=10

Untrained Streetwise to find "Confessor" via Rex [dice]6[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]7[/dice]
Well, crit failed trying to find "The Confessor" so I guess I'll use the Benny on my 3rd attempt to spend some money.

El Paso was brighter and cleaner than New Del Rio, but Penitent senses the rot below the surface -- and just across the river, where the fanged earth-demons ruled the night, no matter who walked the streets in daylight. In El Paso, the chattel were better fed, oblivious to their slavery and the dark masters they served.

Penitent pays the damned of both kinds little mind, preoccupied by thoughts of his daughter, and the possibly false apok who followed her. A confrontation seems inevitable, so best to be prepared -- and in that respect, at least, El Paso is a fine place to be. Walking through the bazaar, Penitent is reminded of the markets of Worldgate, where he often traded spoils recovered his demonic prey for tools he could use to hunt more.

This shopping trip does not go so well as those. At his first stop, a weapons emporium, he is asked politely but firmly to leave after engaging in a rather graphic discussion of the effects of various forms of enchanted ammunition on flesh and bone -- with the shopkeep's 5-year-old daughter. His second sojourn, at a shop selling magical footwear, is cut short when his imp consumes another customer's small dog, rather messily, in one of the dressing rooms.

After a brief conversation with the local enforcers, Penitent is about ready to give up, when he spies a small shop at the end of an alley, lit by a neon sign: "Survivor's Guilt." Guilt was something Penitent could understand, and the monstrous horns and skulls mounted above the doorway were another promising sign -- here, perhaps, was someone not put off by the realities of killing.

Inside, the smells of ozone and gunpowder mingle in a familiar perfume. To the right, wooden shelves are stacked with crates of traditional energy weapons, armor and e-clips, with little thought given to display. On the left, a transparent energy field protects arms and armor of a more mystical nature.

A woman emerges from a door in the back, peering at Penitent through a pair of welding goggles. She is tan and strong -- fetching, even, if Penitent were inclined to be distracted by such things -- with several jagged scars running down one side of her neck. As she limps forward, the apok sees that one of her legs is withered, supported by a mechanized brace covered in arcane sigils.

"I've got an engramatic actuator opened up in the back that's liable to explode if I leave it too long, so whatever you need, be quick about it," she says, sizing Penitent up and apparently deciding that, despite appearances, he may actually have money.

The apok grunts, his lip twisting in something approximating a smile. "A sidearm, something capable of cracking open armor, to start."

Without conversation, the woman walks to a nearby crate and pulls out an oversized revolver with two barrels -- one large at the top and a smaller one below. Along with a couple of e-clips, she gathers a dozen miniature grenades that look like the right fit for the cylinder on the top barrel.

"This here's a Bandito Arms knock-off of the NG Super, an over-under laser pistol and grenade launcher. Northern Gun had the laser up top, but Bandito swapped it around cause the launcher barrel looks more intimidatin'," she says. "Anything else?"

Penitent's smile/smirk grows wider, at least on the inside. "I recently fought a brodkil that had some sort of chemical system installed, pumping something called "juice" into his veins and making him a more fearsome fighter. He died anyway, but I thought perhaps about acquiring something similar, perhaps a device to administer magic potions?"

The woman stares at him for a moment, thinking, then nods. "I think I got something that might suit. Come with me to the back."

In her workshop, she goes to a rune-covered locker and returns with a black leather case. Inside is a coat of scaled armor, the individual plates ranging from a dark red, almost black, to the yellow-white of a sword-blade being forged.

"You don't look like you're from around here, but we gotta kind of snake in these parts called a fire rattler. Meaner than sin, tough as nails with a venom that'll kill you before you can spit. Only good thing about 'em is you can mix that venom with some spirits and other things and make a potion that'll hit you like a gallon of adrenaline. I got the idea to do something special with a couple of carcasses, work 'em into this armor here. Why don't you try it on?"

Doffing his clothes, Penitent dons the armor, which is light -- perhaps too frail for the kind of combat he engages in -- and incorporates tubes of silver-lined cabling that runs from a reservoir on the chest down each limb. As he cinches the armor tight, he feels the prick of fangs at his wrists and neck.

"Don't mind that," the woman says. "That's just the delivery system. The reservoir here has the venom, but when you activate it with a little magical energy, it'll send a flood of the treated mixture direct into your veins.

She points to another set of buttons at the belt. "This here will thicken the armor up, grow a second set of scales over the chest and other vulnerable bits. It takes a minute or two, so you'll want to plan ahead, but the button next to it will shed those real quick, if you need to move with a lighter step."

Penitent's smile grows to the point that his teeth are actually showing. "It's perfect. Name your price."

With his credstick considerably depleted, Penitent returns to the hunt. Most passers-by take pains to avoid him, so he looks for the sort of place that might be welcoming to killers.

He soon finds his way to an arena, where a wolfish Dog Boy out front seems to be recruiting warriors for some sort of tourney. It seems rather silly, but Penitent perks up when the canine busker mentions Reid's Rangers.

"My comrades and I must meet with this Reid and his rangers," Penitent says. "Your competition is asinine -- why have your warriors kill each other, when they could at least sacrifice themselves fighting demons? -- but if we must kill these other hopefuls to do so, we will not shy from it. How much did you say it was? I believe I have the funds."

"By the way, I am looking for two women. One is a shifter, the other has a mask like this ... Have you seen either of them, or have you been too engrossed hawking this silly match?"

As it turned out, the Dog Boy proved rather unhelpful, taking Penitent's remaining credits with a snarl. So it was that the apok returned to the group's lodgings with a stack of registration papers and some new armaments, but little in the way of information. But his arrival in town had not gone unnoticed ...
Penitent
Quick Stats
Wormwood Apok
Bennies: 0/3 +1 Red Benny (1d10 for EE or 1d10 Wild Die on a reroll)
Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (1d12), Vigor d10 (1d12) -1 Fatigue
Charisma: -2 (-4); Pace: 8 (d10); Parry: 8 (9); Toughness: 20 (8) or 22 (8) with mask; 32 (18) with greater armor
Hindrances: Heroic, Death Wish, Overconfident, Delusional (Dunscon is the Unholy), Vow (Find daughter)
Notice d8, Intimidation d8+2
Edges and Abilities of Note: Improved Level-Headed (draw 3 initiative cards); Immune to Fear, +4 vs. mind control and possession; Notice roll to detect surprise attack or ambush by supernatural/magic foes; Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted; Gain AP 2 with melee attacks for 1 PPE; Champion
PPE: 4/20 + 10/10 (demon mask) + 10/10 (Karl - ?)
Powers (all Mega): armor with shroud trapping (ranged attacks are -1), auto-raise, cast as free action; blast with flammable and hallowed trapping (counts as cold and silver); fear with hallowed trapping (supernatural and magic are -2 to resist); quickness; smite with hallowed trapping (holy and silver), auto-raise, cast as free action.
Adventure Cards:
Active Effects: quickness with a Raise (Gains an extra round of actions, redraws Initiative of 8 or less), greater armor with a Raise (+10 Armor), and fly(at Pace)
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Fizzwaite Zipwidget »

Watching Ash stalk over to confront the police officers Fizzwaite groaned. "Hells bells, she's going to get us into trouble and he haven't even had a chance to break any laws yet!" When the police appeared to back down, however, he just chuckled and shook his head. "Score one for the spunky human, I guess."
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

Ever since the value of the 'credits' she was given for her role in the various exploits of this group was explained to her, Vela was eager to visit a marketplace. Contrary to what one might think, she understood money well enough. Her people had lived close enough to human villages for long enough that trade happened between them.

What she hadn't been prepared for was just how much 'money' she had. Or what could be bought in places like these. Small villages hidden away in jungles were a very different thing than these walled cities, it seemed.

One thing in particular that she wanted was some protection. The armor she wore was comfortable, but lately she'd realized that just about everyone in these vampire-riddled lands had silver weaponry. Increasingly it seemed inadvisable to simply rely on her native resistance to mundane injuries. Vampire claws, silver blades...any of those things could hurt her, and they were commonplace.

Armor was a unique challenge for her people though. Her body changed dramatically from one form to another, and anything that didn't fit would reflexively be sent Elsewhere. Her solution had been to take armor and essentially rip it up so that it gave less protection but could easily accommodate the growth of her true shape.

The people of these lands had magic that she'd never seen in objects before though. Oh, the shamans could make talismans and fetishes, and some of them even knew how to imbue a spell or two into tools. Here though...here they could work mighty enchantments into all kinds of things. Perhaps armor could be made that would change with her?

So Vela beelined for the marketplace.

There were a lot of...cats in El Paso. It struck her almost immediately. Not just cats, but other people with animal aspects. The cats weren't her people. Vela could see that immediately. Most of them were too small, for one. A Jaguar Person in their true shape was a head and shoulder taller than a human man. There was also an unmistakable aura...the magic of their being stood out to one with her senses.

She'd never seen a spectacle like this. People who were like her people, but...not like them. For now she walked among them, playing at being a human as she would in a city of humans. This was a mystery she'd pluck at later. There were markets to visit at the moment.
OOC Comments
Looking for a nice suit of armor that can be enchanted with some shapechangery. According to Pender this is a major TW mod, costing 20k, requiring a Notice check to make available.

Notice: [dice]0[/dice] or [dice]1[/dice]. Not sure if this falls under the standard rules, so it may be at -4. For the sake of conservative estimates, I'll assume it is.

Also interested perhaps in some kind of ranged weapon...but that would probably just come from the book so I don't think I need to roll for that.

Looks like no one had modded armor already out there, so here's what she'll commission; I'll edit my post to include this too but here's the mechanics:

Huntsman Armor: +5 armor +1 toughness, non-environmental; 24,000
- TW Conversion 2400, [dice]2[/dice] hours
- +2 armor (minor), 5000, [dice]3[/dice] hours
- 5 PPE; charges 1/30min on ley line (minor), 5000, [dice]4[/dice] hours
- Transformation (major), 20000, [dice]5[/dice] days
- Edge: Fleet Footed (major), 20000, [dice]6[/dice] days

Total Cost: 76,400 credits, it'll take 26 days and 20 hours to complete. So basically a month. :)
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 9 Raise
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]
Common Knowledge 10 Raise
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Ace [dice]7[/dice]

Ashlyn glared after the police, putting a protective arm around the boy. Still glowing a bit, she crouched down to his level and brushed a thumb across a bruise, putting a little bit of healing into her touch. “Are you hurt?” she asked. “You are no one’s slave, W’tanch,” she assured him. “But do try and stay out of trouble.”

Ashlyn took the necklace and looked it over to see if it was enchanted.
Detect Arcana 5 Success
Mysticism [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
“This is a very pretty necklace,” she told W’tanch. “And just where did you get it?” she asked, giving him a look. “I am not sure I have a use for a necklace, but my friends and I could use a guide. And Blanca here,” she scratched at the white puppy’s ears, “could use a babysitter sometimes. Would you be interested? But you have to promise, no stealing when you are working for me!” she said seriously.
OOC Comments
How much would hiring the boy to be our guide/dogsitter be?
“The first thing I would like is, after we get some rooms at the inn here, is to go to the bazaar and see if I can find some new armor before we think about entering this tournament. If you know of anyone that will give me a good deal and not rob me.”
Persuasion 5 Success
If you need it
Persuasion [dice]8[/dice]
Wild [dice]9[/dice]
Conditions
    • 2 rounds
  • Intimidation d12
Character Tracker
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Rex lifts an eye at Penitent's comments and almost drops his pads. With a surprised growl he howls, " To the death? Uhhh maybe the Wild Cats and the coalition troops will go that far... And I suppose you too. But the Glades and Police force are not out for blood." At the mention of the woman shifter and the woman wearing a mask he shakes his head. " Sorry friend, No female shifter, unless she is that Tigress over there. A woman in a mask? I could not tell you anything about her." He takes th creds and perhaps a bit more hurriedly gathers all the registration forms for all the groups and heads back into his bar.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 3 Critical Fail
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 5 Success
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

“I will give you 200 credits a week, plus room and board. You will stay in the hotel with us,” she said, gesturing to the Travelers Inn. “And anything you eat there while we stay, we will pay for. You will take Blanca for a walk and feed her when I cannot. If you do well, we can see about a bonus at the end of the week.” She smiled at the D’Norr boy.

Ashlyn returned her attention to the necklace. It was worth twice what the boy was selling it for. As she studied the clasp, the H monogram and crest caught her eye. She frowned and looked closer.

“Madre de Dios,” she muttered under her breath. She recognized the crest. The necklace belonged to King Wyatt Halloway, or someone in his family. The man pretty much owned El Paso, and could be quite ruthless to those who crossed him. And he had his own personal army. This necklace pretty much meant a death sentence to the boy if he was caught with it.

“I changed my mind,” Ashlyn said. “I will hire you, and we will pay you room and board to take care of Blanca, but for payment, I will buy the necklace,” she told Wretch. She slipped out one of her credsticks, handing it over to the D’Norr. “Try not to spend it all in one place, and not all on candy,” she told him with a grin as she slipped the necklace safely out of sight within her armor.

“Now, let’s go shopping.”

With the boy to show her around, Ashlyn made her way to the Halloway’s arms and armorer’s shop. Before entering, Ashlyn cast another spell, her other spell having faded.

“Hello,” she greeted the employee who came up to help her. “I have two sets of armor I would like to sell, and am looking for new armor with some upgrades. I have this combat mage armor I found while clearing out New Del Rio. And this armor I am wearing has some custom wilderness camouflage.” She explained what she wanted in her new armor, a set of cyber-knight medium armor with the succor power, and whatever upgrades she could get.

Shopping
Sell: Combat Mage Armor (250,000 credits)
Sell: Ley Line Walker Light Armor with woodlands camouflage (9000 credits + 20,000 HJ roll = 29,000 credits)
Total sold: 279,000 credits
Buy: Cyber-Knight Medium Armor with succor power (120,000 credits) + 4 HJ rolls (80,000 credits) = 200,000 credits
Total purchased: 2000,000 credits
Credits remaining: 79,000 credits

Conditions:
    • 3 rounds
  • Persuasion d12+3
Greater Boost Persuasion 8 Raise
Mysticism [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Persuasion 6 Success
Persuasion [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]7[/dice]
4 HJ Body Armor rolls
[dice]8[/dice] - trade starting armor. Not really an upgrade. Will reroll.
[dice]9[/dice] - targeting enhancements. +2 ranged attacks
[dice]10[/dice] - +3 Armor
[dice]11[/dice] - Another +2 targeting on ranged attacks
[dice]12[/dice] - +2 urban stealth
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Spell Casting 42, Fighting 6 success
Detect Arcane at Will Activated

Spellcasting to Exalted Boost Fighting
Spellcasting [dice]0[/dice]
  • Ace [dice]2[/dice]
    • Ace Aced [dice]3[/dice]
      • Ace's Ace Aced [dice]4[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]

Fighting Roll [dice]5[/dice] d10 base +4 Boosted -2 for size, -4 invisible drone
Fighting Wild [dice]6[/dice]
Looking around the town Ndreare always thought it was strange how these tiny little cities could have such a strange variety of resources. Half the people in town do not even have a reliable source of clean water and across the street a vendor is selling plasma weapons and power armor. The Bandito Arms dealer and Northern Gun dealers seem to be in direct competition, while 100’ away a person is walking around with a chemical powered sidearm.
Looking for some solid TW equipment to augment his armor with Ndreare uses his sight to spend some of the loot he had been taking of the various vampires he was hunting. His nest egg had grown pretty nicely from the portion he chose to keep and if he wants to continue his work without having to rely on refiling e-clips he needs to find some options he can fuel with his power.
Looking around with his sight active for a store that is legitimately offering arcane gear Ndreare seems a small shop located at the edge of the bizarre called Widget’s. Walking in he looks around the place, while packed everything is clean and highly organized. Looking at the obvious TW proprietor Ndreare starts a conversation explaining what he is looking for and how he would especially like something for hunting big game, not just vampires, but rhino-buffalo, robots or whatever else may come his way. Some give and take and a little bit of barter ends up with the proprietor pointing Ndreare towards plasma rifle he had tweaked with some simple yet highly tuned features. “More accurate than any other plasma weapon, but still able to get the job done when needed. Som this one will never let you down.”
Looking over the weapon Ndreare settles on a price and then begins discussing what it would cost to get his armor converted. Reaching a happy price he tells him he will be back after the try outs for Reed’s Rangers and would love to get the work done.
Leaving the establishment and thinking about getting himself ready for the tryouts coming up Ndreare was a little surprised when a faint orb shaped shimmer catches his eye. Recognizing it instantly he realizes is a Kreghor observation drone. Crap, when he retired he still had some officers that felt bitter about being outdone and there is no telling if one of them was willing to pay to send some drones through Center to look for opportunities. Not wanting to waste time on anything else Ndreare, concentrates for the briefest of moments as he draws on the wisdom and knowledge of a version of himself more focused on melee combat than leading men. His body crackles as the arcane dimensional energy wraps his body and in a smooth flowing motion he turns drawing his dagger his reflexes filled with a skill that would take hundreds of years to master as he plunged the dagger into the access port connecting the power supply to the drone. He needs to find out who sent it and what its mission parameters where.
Once he has the drone in hand Ndreare ensures it is disabled and then heads out. Looking up Ndreare notices a group of what appears to be a group of line walkers standing open mouthed watching him. Suddenly when they see he sees them they shake their heads clear and begin talking to each other excitedly.
Leaving the scene quickly Ndreare knows he will have to ask his new Legion friends for help hacking into this thing.

Arriving back at the hotel Ndreare looks around until he finds Fizzwaite. "Hey Fizzwaite, have you ever seen an alien spy drone before? I have one here that was following me. It is from the same empire I used to work for, but I need some help hacking into it and getting the data.
"I will make you a deal. You hack into it and give me the data, and you can keep the drone to learn from. I want to see who is spying on me."
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status
Parry: 9
Toughness: 22 (8)
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2
PPE: 27 of 35 base 20 without gear

Gear Charges:
  • Amulet of the Archmage: 0/5
  • Abrandis’ Honorblade PPE: 10/10
  • Night's Kiss PPE: 0/10
  • T.W.-B.A.G.: 5/5
  • Wilk's 237: 16/16 x2
  • Wilks 447: 20/20 x2

Current effects:
  • Armor Features Activated

Bennies: 4 +1 Red Benny (Roll d10 extra effort, or reroll with a d10 wild die)
  • +5 Quarterly Reset + Great Luck.
    +1 Benny for some outstanding RP!
    +1 From GM for Art of Maker.
    -1 For Vigor Roll to Soak critical failure wound.
    +1 Benny for choosing not to use second action after critical failure per Pender in Hangouts.
    -1 Benny, Agility to interrupt Hammers after everyone went on hold for chit chat.
    -2 Interfere with Rifts rerolled twice.

Adventure Cards
Special GM removed, need interlude to obtain
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 5 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 8 Raise
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn couldn’t get quite everything she had wanted, but she walked out of the shop wearing a new, shiny set of cyber-knight medium armor with extra armor plating. She fiddled a bit, getting used to the new targeting HUD in the visor. She also had a new shard pistol on her hip -- for just in case -- and a silver and plastic tube on the other. The light sword should come in handy against the vampires.

Ashlyn and Wretch browsed a few more stalls, and she bought several things for Blanca: collar and leash, food and water dish and food, some toys, and a pack to carry them in. She also found a nice, large handbag that the puppy would fit into that she could carry securely.

And she still had more credits than she’d come into town with! She wasn’t sure what else she needed to spend them on.

Ashlyn and Wretch returned to the Travelers Inn, and Ashlyn got the D’Norr boy and the dog set up in the corner with some food and water. Ashlyn watched them out of the corner of her eye. They seemed to get along, and the boy seemed competent enough to care for the puppy.

“I would like to send a message,” Ashlyn told the clerk. “Do you have a runner available?” She would rather not do this very publically.

Ashlyn took some hotel stationery and wrote out a brief note.

Dear Sir,

I have recently come into possession of a valuable item that I believe may belong to you or a member of your family. I wish to return said item to you. I will be in the city for several days at the Travelers Inn for the tournament and would be happy to meet with you or your authorized representative. If you send a representative, please let me know whom, so I may know whom to trust with the property.

Yours Sincerely,

Ashlyn Alvarez
Magdalena
Tomorrow Legion

Ashlyn carefully folded the note and put it in an envelop, writing Wyatt Halloway’s name on the outside. Then she handed it to the runner to deliver as best he thought to get it into the hands of the city’s most prominent citizen.

Conditions:
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

A short while later after the runner departs, a well do do man, not Wyatt, but by his golden medallion flashing on his bare chest a Halloway, comes into the Inn with the courier. The courtier points the group out, or at the very least Ashlyn.
Chub Halloway
Chub Halloway.jpg
He smiles and nice white well cleaned smile, " Well now miss, I hear and read you have something that belongs to my family, and probably to my sister. She has been going on and on and on about loosing her necklace something fierce. My name is Chub Halloway." He tips his hat looking Ashlyn and the group directly in the face, " Now I hope I did not ride Misnk out here for nothing," He chuckles at an inside joke, " Probably the old girls last ride anyway, she has seen better days as a Psi-Pony, half blind and decrepit from old age..." Still slightly chuckling he twirls a six shooter engraved with silver inlays. He sighs, " Might be finally time to put her down... I don't know, Psi-Pony's are rare especially the domesticated kind. Plus only one I have seen with eight legs."

He smiles again brought out of his revere and puts his weapon away, " So lets see it," He deftly slides a cred chip across the table with 4,000 creds on it.

He will not hop onto his Psi-Pony, but instead lead it away by a set of TW reins. The psi-pony indeed does look old and slightly stumbles around as if it cannot quiet see where it is going. In fact it almost tramples Ashlyn's new dog and D'Norr boy guide. Anyone who looks at it feels it issue a telepathic image of a life that could have been and its metal image of self-worth. Chub snaps the reins angrily, " None of that Misnk!"
Psi-Pony in its prime, image of self worth
Misnk.jpg
If nothing else is pressing he does not head back in the direction of the Halloway estate, but in the direction of Jortiggans magic glue shop.
Sensing Vampires and supernatural
Anyone who visits Rex and his bar at the base of the great arena can sense the presense of vampires or at the very least supernatural creatures beneath the bar. If questioned Rex, shrugs as if passing it off. He growls, " We got to make sure all the teams can fight vampires... These ain't your wild kind."
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Fizzwaite turned from the front desk where he had just finished checking in to the Inn when he heard his name called. When his new friend Ndreare told him what he wanted Fizzwaite's eyebrows rose into his hairline.

"Have I seen an alien spy drone? Have I seen an alien spy drone? What kind of question is that? Of course I've seen an alien spy dr..." Fizzwaite does a double take. "Wait, did you say alien spy drone? Hmmm, we aren't talking about Splugorth tech are we? I hate those guys. You know what? It doesn't matter. Let's go take a look and see what we're dealing with."

Holding up a new case Fizzwaite continues, "I guess it's a good thing I happen to pick up a new computer then isn't it. It should make the hack job a little easier. I was planning on spending the evening fiddling with it to see if I could build in a few refinements but that can wait for later. Let's take this stuff upstairs and we can see what's what."

Leading the way up to his room Fizzwaite motions for Ndreare to put the drone on the table while he set up the computer. Attaching leads to what appeared to be access ports Fizzwaite carefully began probing the drone.
Knowledge Computers 12
Knowledge Die [dice]0[/dice]
Knowledge Die Ace [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
-6 for difficulty
+4 for Machine Maestro (bonus for interfacing with TW device)
+4 for Grade IV Field Computer (bonus to Kn(Computers) skill)
An hour later Fizzwaite hands Ndreare a data disk. "Here's everything that I could get off the drone. I hope it comes in handy. Now if you don't mind I should probably make sure that any tracking devices this thing may have are disabled."
Knowledge Engineering 8, Knowledge Electronics 8
Knowledge Engineering Die [dice]3[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]4[/dice]
Wild Die Ace [dice]5[/dice]

Knowledge Electronics [dice]6[/dice]
Knowledge Electronic Ace [dice]8[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]7[/dice]

-6 for difficulty
+4 for Machine Maestro (bonus for interfacing with TW device)
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 5 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn, Wretch, and Blanca were having a light lunch in the hotel’s restaurant when the well-dressed, handsome man walked over to their table. She recognized the Halloway crest on his gold medallion and rose up to greet him with a smile, offering him a seat and a glass of the iced tea they were drinking.

He got right to the point and slid 4000 credits her way.

“Thank you for your generosity,” Ashlyn said, not mentioning that it had cost her ten thousand. She fished the necklace out and gently laid it out on one of the napkins. “Is that it?”

It seemed to be what he was looking for, so Ashlyn took the credits and Chub fished up the necklace. She walked him out, and frowned as he and his psi-pony nearly tramples over Wretch and Blanca.

Ashlyn got the image from the psi-pony and frowned, watching as they walked away toward the glue factory.

“Mr. Halloway,” Ashlyn spoke up again, striding after him quickly. “Another moment of your time, please. If you are going to be getting rid of the animal anyway, perhaps I could take her off your hands,” she told him. She put her hand on the pony’s flank, stroking the hair. “Even an old nag can be useful back home. It would save you the bother.” She flashed him a pretty smile and brushed back her long, black hair.
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

The drone
The Krehgor drone really is a thing of beauty, perhaps only pailing in comparission to a mighty Krehgor in person. It contains data and images lf Nds movements over the last 6 months. Strangely much of the data and images are not of Nd but of the people he has interacted with. The drone's most interesting features beyond the data collected are its multiphatic optic suite. Perhaps even more robust than the standard issue TW optics. It also has a unique camoflague ability. it has a standard one, and a more powerful one that can make it invisible to even exalted arcana but only to one person.
  • roll a d6 for the optics, then roll another d6 for the camoflauge.
    • on a 6 the different tw devices are broken beyond repair, 2-5 serious malfunctions, 1 they survived unscathed.
Fizz would get the feeling that there are at least two other drones in circulation, and the data was being beamed south, a quick look at your handy guide book or map written by Erin Tairn you would hazzard a guess the info was being some how transmitted over to the crytal cave area.
Chub looks down at Ashlyn. " Now pretty lady, you might be right about Minsk needing to move on. I would think Jortiggan down yonder would pay a pretty penny for Minsk... I'll do you a favor as you did one for me, 100,000 creds and I'll let you have Minsk... Not the reigns mind you, one of her colts needs to be broken in. Perhaps now is as good of a time as any."
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 3 Critical Fail
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 2
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn frowned. “A hundred thousand credits?” she asked. “That seem...steep, señor. What kind of glue is Jortiggen make down at factory?” She considered how many credits she had. She still had more than she had entered the city with, and even after the hundred thousand, still much of the brodkil haul left.

“You have deal, then, Señor Halloway,” she said, pulling out her credcard and authorizing the transfer.
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Chub lifts an eye and grins at Ashlyn's acceptance. Last time I tried such a deal Jude Maverick swooped in and talked me into something wretched. The boss took leather to my hide! Count my lucky stars that silver toungued bastard is not here.. The rest of the hunters are near enough to the exchange.
He takes the creds undoes the reins wrapping them over his shoulder. The psi-pony reflexsivly bolts away from him going towards Ashlyn and then right passed her. Almost as if reacting like a frightened child unsure who to trust. The psi-pony at full gallop tumbles through the streets of El Paso bumping and pushing its way out of the market and onto farm lands that surround the city. It would seem it at least had the strength for one last full gallop.

Chub tips his hat and taps the reigns. With a salty drawl he says, " Well I'll be... If you are here for the call of heroes I wish you more luck than that transaction." He walks away whistling a jaunty toon.
Notice check on the Psi-Pony
It has a tattoo underneath its main. For anyone who succeeeds with a -2 check would see that it is unmistakenly a vampire sense tattoo normally given to clan members of true atlanteans. Note: Ashlyn crit failed to see this and that the pony was about to bolt. If anyone wants to track it down, roll tracking and if you succeed I will pm you.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Notice, Detect Arcana, Survival, and Common Knowledge Rolls
Notice
+2 with Sight, Body armor has optics package ignores 2 points of sight penalties.
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Notice Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]

Detect Arcana at Will (No Roll Required)

Do I know what a Psi-Pony is?
Survival [dice]2[/dice]
Survival Wild Die [dice]3[/dice]

Common Knowledge
Smarts [dice]4[/dice]
Smarts Wild Die [dice]5[/dice]

Knowledge (Arcan) per GM request: What is a Psi-Pony
K: Arcana [dice]6[/dice]
K: Arcana Wild Die [dice]7[/dice]
Watching the interchange Ndreare thinks to himself the pony looks like it would be more of a burden and victim waiting to happen than an asset. Looking at Ashlynn he says. "Why would you want to collect slaves? Those things are sentient you know? If we are hunting vampires it would be inconvenient to have to protects puppies and slaves. Which could lead to people getting hurt."
Then spotting the tattoo his curiosity gets to him and he has to ask. "How did you get the Tattoo Magic to work on a pony? Those things normally only work on humans, ogres, and elves."
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

+1 Benny for choosing not to use second action after critical failure per Pender in Hangouts.
    -1 Benny, Agility to interrupt Hammers after everyone went on hold for chit chat.

Adventure Cards
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 5 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 9 Raise
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn gasped in surprise as the psi-pony bolted. She shot Ndreare a look. “I am not collecting slaves!” she snapped at him, watching the pony run off. “I should probably find her, make sure she doesn’t get hurt.”

Ashlyn set off down the street to try and follow the trail of the psi-pony, casting a spell to help her track.
Greater Boost Tracking 15 3 Raises
Mysticism [dice]4[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Ace [dice]7[/dice]
Tracking 4 Success
Tracking [dice]8[/dice]
Wild [dice]9[/dice]
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Fizzwaite Zipwidget
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Drone Systems, Optics 5, Camo 1
Optics [dice]0[/dice]
Camo [dice]1[/dice]
Carefully Fizzwaite remove the component that provided the drone with its superior camouflage, marveling that the system was still intact after the abuse that it had taken. The optics system on the other hand had evidently shorted when Ndreare had disabled the thing but Fizzwaite thought he could still salvage it. It's capabilities looked promising. Removing that component as well Fizz set to working running diagnostics on the damaged optics system.

Making a list of parts he'd need to effect repairs Fizzwaite headed back out to the market to pick up additional supplies. Fizzwiate returned to the same shop he had visited previously he headed straight for the front counter. Fortunately the clerk was not busy and Fizzwaite handed him the list of parts that he needed. "Look son, I could really use these parts ASAP if you know what I mean. I'm working on an important project and I really don't want to wait around to finish it if I don't have too. I figure the parts should come to around six grand or so but if you can put a rush on it I'll pay you eight grand for the trouble. How does that sound?"

The light of avarice shined clearly in the clerk's eyes not that it bothered Fizzwaite any. The Zipwidgets didn't become a successful Techno-Wizard firm by ignoring the bottom line. "Yes sir, right away sir!" The clerk headed into the back and Fizzwaite took a seat in the reception area to await the boy's return. At one point Fizzwaite looked up with alarm as it sounded as though several people were screaming in terror in the back but there were no sounds of a struggle so he returned to his article in the trade periodical he found on a nearby table. It was not a recent publication but it made for interesting reading nonetheless.

Soon enough the clerk returned with his order and good to his word Fizzwaite handed over 8,000 credits and headed back to the hotel to finish the repairs on the optics system. Fizzwaite hoped he had everything he needed to finish repairs but he also thought that if necessary he should be able to scavenge any remaining parts from the drone itself.
Repairs on the drone optics system, 11 Raise, 1 hour to repair
Repair Die [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]3[/dice]

-1 Bennie to reroll
Repair Die [dice]4[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]5[/dice]
Wild Die Ace [dice]6[/dice]

+2 from Mr. Fix It
+2 from Machine Maestro
-2 from level of damage (Serious Problem)

Time to repair [dice]7[/dice] Note: 1/4 time to repair due to Mr. Fix It Edge

Note: Pender said Serious Malfunction and I am assuming that he meant Serious Problem on the Technical Difficulty Chart and used that as the basis. I also used the cost of the TW Optics System (30,000) as the basis of the cost of parts for the repairs and gave it a 33% mark up. If any of this is in error I can edit later.
Last edited by Fizzwaite Zipwidget on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

Tracking: [dice]0[/dice] or [dice]1[/dice]
Notice: [dice]2[/dice] or [dice]3[/dice]
Common Knowledge: [dice]4[/dice] or [dice]5[/dice]

Vela, in the busy marketplace, didn't even notice the horse galloping past...or at least didn't separate it out from all the other horses, or other people. The trade hub was full of sights and sounds; as big in itself as all of Del Rio and much more active! At least, that's how it seemed to Vela.

She paused at a store that radiated great heat, with the sound of metal pounding on metal coming from within. Great rings and clanks...and inside were samples of wares. Sword and knives and tools made of carefully worked iron or steel. Vela had little interest in these. What her claws could not rend she could incinerate with the great treasure of her tribe. She even had one of the strange light-guns that outsiders used, even if she was not very good at predicting where it would strike.

But there was also a wooden stand with a crossbeam at shoulder height, and hung on the stand were pieces of handcrafted armor. Her eye was caught by the craftsmanship, and by the fine tracings of strange metals, and the crust of crystals that bulged from strategic spots. When Vela opened her senses to the world, her suspicions were confirmed. It had magic coursing through it. Outlander magic, not the power of the spirits and mind, but she was sure she could make it work.

"Something I can help you with?"

The voice from behind her whirled Vela around, ready to fight or flee. The man she saw there offered an embarrassed chuckle and held a hand palm out. "Hey there, sorry about that. Didn't mean to startle you."

Vela immediately scowled. "You didn't. Your feet make lots of noise. I thought you'd pass by though."

"What? Me pass by a customer? That's not how we do things here, miss." He was not tall, perhaps just a few inches taller than Vela in her human form. Sandy blonde hair and somewhat sunkissed pale skin...she did not think he was native to the land here, though he'd lived here some time. He was wearing a red shirt with a pair of strings hanging down from around his neck, and blue jeans with boots. And holding out a hand.

She leaned over to sniff at it out of sheer reflex, then remembered herself and took hold of it to shake it twice.

"I'm Paul Roston," he said with that friendly smile.

After a sullen pause, she replied, "Vela."

Paul didn't miss a beat, nor did his smile slip. "So what can El Paso's premiere arms and armor emporium extravaganza do for you, Miss Vela?"

She paused again, sorting through the words, then glanced at the armor stand. "This thing. What does it do?"

"Ahhh, you have a good eye! That's a brand new piece." Paul leaned in a little closer and cupped his hand around his mouth as if to keep others from overhearing. "We just hired one of them 'technomages' a couple weeks ago and he's working out great. High demand though so if you want one of his pieces you have to jump on them."

Vela frowned. "I do not care about his pieces. But I want to know about this armor."

The salesman gave her a laughing nod and waved at the armor. "This is maybe the last word in personal protection. The metal's been cast over a fullerene backer, so you get old-world style with new-world protection. Plus, the magic gizmotry you see there will just...push stuff away when it comes flyin' atcha." He laughed again. "Don't ask me how it works, but I saw them testing it out and it's pretty fantastic. Firing range had a ring of hits all around the armor...but almost nothing touched it."

The werejaguar considered the armor on the stand for a moment, then shook her head. "Is this all you have?"

"Hey now," Paul protested, "This is good stuff! It's hard to get techie wizard stuff around these parts!"

"This isn't what I need," Vela insisted.

Paul looked around again, then said, "Alright, maybe we can work something else. Our guy can do custom work, but it's a lot more expensive. We'd just need to go over some paperwork, credit checks..."

"No checks," replied Vela. "I have money."

The salesman laughed again. "I'm sure you do, but we can't just..."

He stopped laughing when Vela held up a single credit chit and flashed the balance. He cleared his throat. "Let me take you around back to meet the boys."

===

"So."

The speaker was Davis Gibbons, the resident 'techie wizard' who seemed to know his stuff despite being pretty young looking. He was looking at a notepad that he'd been scribbling in over the past twenty minutes as Vela outlined what she wanted from a suit of armor.

"You want it to be heavier that what you have now."

Vela nodded.

"...but able to provide coverage both to you and someone about...half again your height and weight...and be able to instantly and seamlessly change from one to the other."

She nodded again.

"...and make you faster."

Another nod.

"...but without weakening your own power too much."

Davis looked up to see her nodding again. He closed the notepad. "That's going to be tricky. For one, making the armor heavy but still able to easily and quickly change configurations is mutually impossible at any kind of reasonable price. Then boosting your speed will naturally require energy, though, hmmm..."

Vela glanced around at Paul and his boss, Manuel, who were in the sweltering little office as well. Her credit balance on the chip had been confirmed, and they were all very eager to make this happen.

"Can you do it?" asked Manuel, trying and failing not to sound too anxious about it.

"Maybe. Vela, you don't really care if it's heavy, right? You just need it to protect you." At her confused look Davis pressed on. "I could fortify physical armor with some magical fields...here and on each of the extremities. Save power by having them be reactive...they only flicker on in response to an incoming attack. That'd mean a divination hub, but that's still cheaper than trying to transform an extra twenty pounds of ballistic composite and steel..." He trailed off again and stuck a pencil between his lips where it dangled like a cigarette.

Manuel looked at Paul, who just shrugged. "Can you do it?" he repeated.

"There's no way to make it easy on power," Davis decided, "But I can install a PPE sink and crystal battery. You could use that power as well as your own to run it. Best I can do on that. Otherwise, yes. Yes, I can do it."

He wrote on his pad again.

Vela looked from person to person, then back at Davis. "How much 'cred it' will it cost?" She wanted to know.

Davis held up the notepad for her to see. "And it'll take a good month of work."

"A month?!"

He shrugged. "This kind of work isn't easy, or fast. That includes the safety trials and testing cycle and so on. Not to brag, but...there's not a lot of people who could even do this project at all. I can't think of anyone else in El Paso I'd trust to."

Vela considered her options. They weren't great. The armor she'd scavenged and improvised together wasn't much good against vampire claws and silver-armed demons. She still healed fast and there were shamans in the group...but... No one else in the tribe had ever had something like this. And if it would really change form with her...

"All right."

Manuel and Paul broke into broad grins, and Paul leaned over to slap Vela on the back, earning a flat glare for his trouble. Davis nodded and put his pad down.

"Okay then, I'll just need the measurements and I can get started designing."

Vela gave him a curious look. "Measurements?"

"Yes, for the wearers. So I know how big to make it."

"Oh! It is for me."

Davis nodded and waved her to her feet as he produced a small instrument that looked like a flashlight, except the light it made was tiny and red. It beeped as he waved it over her. "Okay, and who's the other one?"

"The other what?"

With a chuckle, Davis rubbed the back of his neck. "The, uh, other one who's going to be wearing it. It changes sizes."

Vela brightened. "Oh! They are both for me."

A moment later, people walking down the street paused almost as one as shrill shrieks of near-panic erupted from inside the El Paso Arms and Armaments shop. When no sounds of carnage followed, they continued on their way.

It was just El Paso.
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Notice 7
Notice [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice]+4 EP
Krysesia Persuasion 3
Persuasion [dice]2[/dice], [dice]3[/dice]
Serenia Persuasion 7
Persuasion [dice]4[/dice]
In a place like El Paso, there are two ways to go. You can hide yourself and hope to avoid being the target of every tough guy. Or you can flaunt your power. Serenia, in her angelic wisdom, chooses the former path. A simple cloak, clasped in front, hides her wings and obscures her armor, and it is a simple matter to muddy up her spear. Krysesia, less physically imposing, does nothing of the kind. Her tattoos are not obvious but her bearing and attitude are on full display. Of course no one would be able to instantly associate her with her father's name. But any who had dealt with True Atlanteans would suspect her of being one. She calls no attention to this fact. Her enemies will anyway. She can sense the off vampire, hidden away, and it is everything she has not to go tearing through and destroying them. She carries her new staff on a sling over her shoulder, as one might carry a rifle or now. She'd been surprised to see that the others had set it aside for her, but given its powers, she is glad for it. The Thunderbird is a powerful spirit of light and lightning known to Serenia's people. This staff seems dedicated to that powerful being. It is a work of the native tribes folk of the Americas. She's worked with a few Shamans, and their work is impeccible. What unhappy circumstances brought that staff to that location, she is happy it is in the hands of heroes again. She is in no rush to spend her money.

She wanders the market looking about. She buys a few snacks, some scarfs, even an outfit or two. Nothing major. Soon she wanders into Pits and Pull. At his comment about her father, she scoffs openly at him. "As if any here could go solo against any vampire intelligence and live to tell about it. I've heard the real version, and let me tell you, the fight just to get into that chamber was grueling and long - it cost him a great many friends and allies. He did not fail, he just had no chance of succeeding alone. Not really. And he did cause the creature greivous wounds." The words flow out without thought. Part of her winces at giving up that much, but the rest of her cannot stand to see the memory of her father's accomplishments denegrated by so base a creature. Serenia lays a hand on her shoulder in a comforting manner. "Careful fellow, not all memories are short and forgetful. But come, my friend, you need not trouble this fellow who was, in his own way, honoring Sebazio, not selling him short. And you and I can honor him in the arena. The Apok signed us up." This seems to quell the hurt in the legend's daughter, who nods and becomes more passive. She is really quite beautiful when she doesn't have her perpetual scowl of superiority on her face. Now, relaxed by her angelic friend, she loses some of the haught to gain some of the hot. She nods and heads to the bar for a drink. Eyes that had missed her entrance do not miss her now, nor do they mistake the hidden beauty and awe inspiring presence of Serenia - even cloaked fully as she is. When she senses the vampires, she asks around and getting the answer, she shakes her head. "One way or the other, there will be no more after tonight." Both women drink tequilla and wine for a bit, to relax.

Sometime later they stride out of the bar. She doesn't go far before she is literally run over by some horse, though neither of them gets hurt, thanks to Serenia's quick action. The Spirit of Light soothes the scared creature, and calls to the True Atlantean. "Krysesia, look at this." She pats near the tattoo on the psi-pony. Krys's eyes widen. "That's dragon made! No clan's alchemist could do that. Which dragon?" Her question to the frightened creature does nothing for its disposition. But a few soothing words and touches by Serenia bring her under control once more. When the image of her self worth flashes in their minds, they both simply nod. "I can see that." Krys states simply.

And so it is that Ashlyn tracks down the fleeing Psi-Pony being petted by the Spirit of Light in a cloak and with Krysesia staring at something on her flank.
Krysesia of Clan Skellian, True Atlantean Shifter
Quick Stats
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 21(10) in armor; Strain: 0
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Bennies, Wounds, and Power Points: Tracked Here
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 5 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 2 Fail
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn jogged up and slowed to a walk as she spotted the psi-pony with Krysesia and Serenia. The mystic let her glow fade a bit as her power released.

“Oh, bueno! Ashlyn said, only slightly out of breath. “You found my psi-pony.” She smiled at her teammate, then noticed her curious look. “What are you looking at, hija?

Ashlyn came over and caressed the opposite flank of the psi-pony. “Good girl. No need be afraid. Will not hurt you. I am Ashlyn. This is Krysesia and Serenia,” she said, introducing the others.
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

(rolls held)
Krysesia looks at her oddly. "Your psi-pony? You realize this is a sentient being. Even if you paid the price to free her, I can't see you trying to justify keeping her against her will. Besides this one is special." She turns over her wrist and shows her tattoo of the heart impaled by a stake, with no blood. "This is one of the Marks of Heritage of my people. Our people, and the Splugorth, can put them on us, normal humans, and ogre. There are a few others, but that is the gist. The ones who taught us how to make them, they could put them on any race." She indicates the tattoo on the pony's flank. "I was unintentionally being too harsh, as Serenia reminded me, when I was asking her how she got them." She turns to the psi-pony. "This woman means you no harm, dear one. She is Ashlyn, a Magdalena. Among other things, she is a champion of the weak and the oppressed, much like my own people. Can we please move out of the street somewhere dear one?" Assuming they can, Serenia will shepherd the psi-pony out of the way.
Quick Stats
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

OOC
Notice die [dice]0[/dice]
Wild die [dice]1[/dice]
The psi-pony, at first, had been a little nervous and wary as her owner had been talking about putting her down. She had quickly tried to show she was still worthwhile and sent out telepathic images of how good, beautiful and useful she was...or at least, what she thought she could be under someone's understanding and loving care. She had let out a small whinny when Chub had started to lead her away, and flinched when he had snapped the reins. She started to feel scared.

The lady had stopped Chub from leaving and there was more conversation. Then suddenly the reins had come off. In that instant, adrenaline had surged in to her, and she had done the first thing that came to her, instincts kicking in, and she ran! She ran for all she was worth, as if her very life depended on it...for all she knew, it actually did! She had trouble navigating the streets, so full of people, vendor stalls, and everything else. She wasn't out to hurt anyone, but she was clearly more interested in getting away than watching where she was going.

Then she ran in to a woman and an angel, who stopped her. She was breathing heavily from the run and adrenaline mixed with fear. But it had felt good to run again, to feel the air rushing past! She let out a whinny and then focused on calming down for a moment, as something strange started to happen to her. Something was tickling the back of her mind, as if reawakening after a long sleep. She wasn't sure what it meant just yet.

The woman and the angel were looking at the markings on her, even as the previous woman came up to them as well. It was about then that they noticed that she had not one tattoo but two of them! On the side of her neck, and partially hidden by her mane much of the time, was the image of a heart pierced by a wooden stake but with no blood. The second one, on her left shoulder, depicted an image of a beautiful dancer with hypnotic eyes.

Then the two women started talking about ownership and sentience. The psi-pony looked back and forth between, even going so far as to nuzzle each of them. After a moment, a telepathic voice entered their minds, "If I may suggest we go somewhere private, but where there is a lot of room to move around? I think we should talk." The voice was female though much more understandable and less picture-heavy as it had been previously, and with a hint of some kind of foreign accent.
Grynn
Character Summary
Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling
Special: Cursed with Awesome (You can reroll a 1 on the wild die - unless it is a crit fail. Once per session you can declare an awesome moment and before rolling decide to add your wild die to your trait roll); Fear (in dragon form); Flight 12 (in dragon form); Impervious to Fire; Infravision; Size +6 (in dragon form); Slow Regeneration; Spirit rolls (+2)
Active effects:
Parry: 5 ; Toughness (Dragon form): 34(16); Toughness (Human form): 17(8)
Weapons: Claws/Bite, Fire Breath, Powers, Tail Lash
Edges: AB Magic, AB Psionic, Attractive, Metamorphosis, Power Surge

Charisma: 0 (+2 with Dragons)
Bennies: 3 from Blaze of Glory

ISP: 15/15
PPE: 20/30
Powers: Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Invisibility, Light/Obscure, Slumber, Smite

Wounds:
Fatigue::

Currently playing in: Vampire Kingdoms
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 2 Fail
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn rolled her eyes a bit at Krysesia’s superiority. “American not my first language,” she said. “Paid ten thousand credits for her. Otherwise she glue.”She looked at the tattoo, not understanding the significance, until Krysesia explained it. “Is like brand, then?”

And then that voice was in her head again, requesting to go somewhere private and open. “Ah, sí, Ashlyn said, looking around. She didn’t really know the city well, never having been there. “The Travelers Inn has stable.”
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

The psi-pony looked at each of the three female humanoids, one after the other. They seemed nice enough, or were at least making an effort to appear nice. She'd been to stables before and After a moment, she gave the equivalent of a shrug, as best as a horse could do, and let out a whinny. I am, perhaps understandably given my most recent situation, a bit reluctant to go in to any stables for the time being. Perhaps somewhere a little bigger, or less enclosed, but still private? I would like to get off of the streets as soon as possible. She looked around to make sure they were not still drawing a lot of attention.
Grynn
Character Summary
Special: Cursed with Awesome (You can reroll a 1 on the wild die - unless it is a crit fail. Once per session you can declare an awesome moment and before rolling decide to add your wild die to your trait roll); Fear (in dragon form); Flight 12 (in dragon form); Impervious to Fire; Infravision; Size +6 (in dragon form); Slow Regeneration; Spirit rolls (+2)
Active effects:

Powers: Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Invisibility, Light/Obscure, Slumber, Smite

Wounds:

Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice 7 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

“Well, perhaps they would let us in the arena?” Ashlyn suggested. “As a participating team, we would want to look anyway.”

Ashlyn led the way down the street toward the arena. She talked with whoever was in charge, and they were let in to look around. “Will this do?” she asked the psi-pony.
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Notice 5
Notice [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice]
When they get to a place conducive for Introductions, Krys remembers something.
  • Father had just returned from what he called his failure near the Crystal Caves of Mexico, and he was accompanied by a woman of fiery red hair, and a wise bald man of asian descent. A week later, his two friends had found themselves at the mercy of Splugorth Slavers. Father came quickly back home, shouting to your older brothers, even his young charge Ink to get ready. It seemed except for a few that were too young, the entire island emptied to go get your father's "friends" back. In three days mostly everyone returned unharmed, and they had the two individuals with them. It turns out, they were both dragons, a Flame Wind female and Chaing-Ku male. They would stop by now an again, they certainly never forgot the debt they owed the True Atlanteans. The way father told it, he owed them a debt for getting him out of the Vampire Kingdoms alive. It had to be a few years ago when I saw them. The female had a baby dragon, and they sought the blessing of the clan, and then the Chaing-Ku inscribed a series of tattoos on the baby dragon, including the Clan Skellian style Protection from Vampires, but with a flourish that only a Chiang Ku could manage. Their child would forever be an ally of their friend's clan.
'It has to be the same dragon!'
Quick Stats
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

The psi-pony followed along. One of the women was talking, but the psi-pony didn't understand a lot of the words or the meaning behind them though. So she just listened and followed until they reached their destination. She looked around and then nodded slowly. Yes. Yes, this will do very nicely. Thank you.

And with that, the psi-pony moved a short distance away. For a moment, nothing happened. Another moment passed. Finally, like using muscles that haven't been used in a long time, the psi-pony let out a small grunt of pain and exertion. And then she CHANGED. Her form began to expand, twist and change. Her horse-like features began to shift, her skin becoming scale-covered and red. A tail grew out from behind her, and wings grew out from her back.

It seemed to take a while to finish the change entirely, though in reality it was less than a minute, and a young hatchling dragon of the Flame Wind variety stood in the open area. It immediately began to stretch as much of its body as it could, moving around slowly at first as if getting to used to its new form. It let loose a cough and a bit of smoke trickled out of its mouth. It frowned at that and tried again. Then it began to look frustrated and angry. It let out a roar which was quickly drowned out by a gout of flame that soared in to the sky a bit.

When it was done, it turned back to the two women and their angel companion, looking pleased with itself and smiling at them. "Hello! My, it is SO good to be able to do this again! I've been stuck as that horse-thing for AGES! I couldn't remember who I was! I couldn't change forms! It was AWFUL! Thank you for freeing me!"
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice, Danger Sense, Detect Arcana 11 Raise
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 1 Critical Fail
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn gasped in surprise as the psi-pony...changed! She stepped back, making room for the twenty foot long dragon.

“Madre de Dios!” she said, crossing herself, watching the creature warily. Dragons weren’t necessarily evil, but she didn’t know anything about this one.

In a special pouch on Ashlyn’s belt, tied securely, a red light began to glow, leaking out, pulsing and throbbing, as the Dragon Heart she carried responded to the dragon before her.
Dragon Heart
You can get details on the Dragon Heart in Ashlyn’s bio (Gear section) or in the Item Validation forum. I don’t know if it would respond or resonate with him or not. I just figured it made sense, perhaps.

Conditions:
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

The dragon hatchling settled down slowly and tilted its head at Ashlynn's exclamation. "Is that your name? That's a strange name. But then all your names are strange to me I guess. Most things are." He shrugged his massive shoulders and dismissed it from his mind.

"My name is...." He stopped and frowned, looking down. He shook his head after a moment. "It's long, and complicated for non-dragons. So I think....yes." He nodded to himself. "You may call me 'Grynn' instead." And similar to his namesake he grinned at them, not hiding his teeth but not trying to appear threatening. More like a child grinning.
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

Notice 9
Notice [dice]0[/dice], [dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice]
"So it is you krynlaschnitan," no spelling of human letters would ever approximate the draconic name, Kr'nl'xitan, but she'd been taught it by the being who'd come up with it, both its spelling and pronunciation. It wasn't all of the young dragon's name, merely the first few syllables, but his mother had stressed it was enough to call him by properly. "I like Grynn though, your mother would like that nickname, from what little I got to know her." This undoubtedly draws the great creature's attention, to which she gives a slight bow. "Forgive me, I am Krysesia Artemis Lengdosia. Please call me Krys for short. My father and your mother were great friends. It is said she helped him survive after treachery in this very land. Perhaps fate has brought us together to finish the tasks of our forebears? Your mark bears the crest of my clan, and it is my honor to meet you finally. Seeing your egg getting tattooed was a surreal experience. But now that I see it on your flesh, it suits you well."

She motions to Ashlyn. "This woman is the reason for your freedom, however, so please do offer her your thanks. Her name is Ashlyn Alvarez, and she is a type of mystic warrior known as a Magdalena. Hers is a holy quest, so you can trust her."

"And my friend here is Serenia, a spirit of light come to aid us in our fight to rid this place of vampires and other demons." The angelic creature smiles and gives the dragon a nod. "I am pleased to meet you Kr'nl'xitan, if that is what you still call yourself." The spirit, lacking a human's biology, had no issue with the draconic word.

That realization hit Krys too. His birth name may have change by his own decision. She didn't go by Artemis, no matter what her mother's thoughts on the matter. "Of course, Serenia is right. Still I like Grynn. What of you, my young friend? What will you do now?"
Quick Stats
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice, Danger Sense, Detect Arcana 5 success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]
Fear 16 3 Raises
Spirit [dice]4[/dice]
Ace [dice]6[/dice]
Wild [dice]5[/dice]
Ace [dice]7[/dice]
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

“No, that is not my name,” Ashlyn said, putting a hand to her chest, taking deep breaths to get her heart rate back down. “You startled me. As Krysesia say, I am Ashlyn Alvarez, one of the Magdalenas of New Alamo. It is pleasure to meet you, Grynn. And no thanks necessary. I had credits, and did not wish to see fine, abused animal suffer indignity of glue factory.”

She gave him a shy smile, brushing back a tendril of black hair behind her ear. “Was going to tell you go to New Alamo for retirement, but I think that may be premature, no?”
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Ndreare's helmed head turns towards the dragon and he says in a perfect dragonese with words pronounced very precisely, if not the native tounge of the speaker he is at a minimum an incredibly highly educated one. "Grynn. A good name. How did you get trapped as a pony? Such a thing should be very hard, perhaps even requiring alchemy with your natural shape changing abilities."
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

Adventure Cards
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Grynn gave a very small partial bow to those present that had given their names. "Pleased to meet you! Sorry for startling you. I guess I should have mentioned I was going to get BIG. But it had been SO long, I was a little bit scared that I couldn't change shape anymore! That would have been just TERRIBLE!" Then he smiled again. "But it's fine now!"

He pondered for a long moment, smiling face slipping slightly as the True Atlantean woman and the angel spoke his 'name'. He shook his head at them slowly but gave them both an encouraging smile. "For non-Dragons, that was pretty good! I mean, it starts with a bit more of like a 'Grr' sound instead of a "Krr" sound, and it wasn't my WHOLE name obviously, that's way too long for most occasions." As he talked his tail swished around a bit and his wings moved. "Plus, you don't have a tail or wings - well the angel lady has wings but she didn't use them when she pronounced my name. But I mean, it wasn't too bad, all things considered!"

He leaned forward slightly, focusing on Krysesia specifically. "You knew my mother? I...what was she like? I didn't really get to know her that well before..." He leaned back and his face fell as he looked down, quite clearly in a mixture of embarrassment and maybe shame. "...my capture." He absently reached up to touch the tattoo on his neck. "Clan is like... a big family, yes?"

He looked at Ashlynn, and rolled his head and neck around a bit. "No? Hm. What is...ree-tie-ra-ment?" Then he got excited. "Is it food? Or something shiny?? I like those!"

He glanced at Ndreare who hadn't introduced himself, who spoke the language most familiar to the dragon. "I was playing around and didn't realize I was being stalked. I got captured and they put those magic reins on me. The reins FORCED me in to the shape they wanted, and made me forgot who I was or that I COULD change shape even!" He almost seemed to get a little smaller as he drew in on himself and his voice volume dropped a lot. "I was basically a slave, and not that well-treated. It was awful."
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Notice, Danger Sense, Detect Arcana 5 Success
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 9 Raise
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

Ashlyn smiled at the dragon. “Retirement. Is when you get old and stop working, do things you enjoy instead. Before you die. Many old cyber-knights and mystics come to New Alamo for retirement. They know keep town safe with all them there, and can train new.”

Conditions:
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Sir Ndreare
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sir Ndreare »

Ndreare nods. "Yes, but you do not have to be old, I am not even 400 yet and this is my retirement.
"Sometimes it is just what you do when you have had enough."
Sir Ndreare (Rob T)
Ndreare
Current Status

Gear Charges:

Current effects:

Adventure Cards
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

(rolls held)
"Or you do what you want, and never work a day in your life." She chuckles. "Yes, Clan is a very large family. Your mother was a courageous dragon of some repute. She saved my father, and he and my clan, before I was old enough to join the fight, went to save her and her friend, a Chiang-Ku of some renown. Friends do that, they help each other. And help each other find loot for their hordes." Hearing his tale, she nods. "So they knew what you were. I see father's assessment of them still bears out. Louts and bullies, too craven and crass to be anything but vermin atop the heaps of other vermin."
Quick Stats
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

There is a slight gasp and faint trickle sound coming from the grandstand, it would appear the D'norr boy Ashlyn hired had located the hunters with a messege from ink. The sight of the dragon has caused the boy to freeze in place and wet himself.
"Uhhh. Uhhhh..." Perhaps the boy being over sensitive, or perhaps to gain sympathy the boy collapses and does not move. His chest rises and falls so he is not dead just knocked out.
Note
In the boys hand is a letter written in what might be blood. I found Trevor -Ink. It would appear Ink may have other plans than competing in a tournament. Sadly at this moment anyone trying to locate him fails. It is known in TA circles when an undead slayer finds his quarry he goes to ground and is all but impossible to find if he does not wish it.
Dragon Heart
I beleive Ashlyn still needs to bond with it if she wants its benifits.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Ashlyn looked over to see Wretch standing there, and then the boy collapsed. “Oh, bother,” she murmured. “I don’t think he’s used to seeing dragons,” she told Grynn, hurrying over to the boy. She checked to see he was okay, determined he was, and then found the note and read it.

“Ink, it seems, will not be joining us,” she told Krysesia and Ndreare. “He has found his quarry.”
OOC Comments
I’m pretty sure Ashlyn already bonded with the dragon heart. I’ve incorporated it into her bio and have been using it since shortly after she found it. Does it take something special?
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Ashlyn can feel a powerful presence in her mind stemming from the fire opal she carries. What do you see young mystic? I feel the presence of one of my kind! If it bares red scales it will be immune to flames. Should it be blue, lightning will not harm it. You will know its intentions by the company it keeps. What is it mystic? I rely on you for my eyes! Needless to say the voice is a tiny bit intimidating and surprising, Ashlyn can imagine in combat at the wrong time it will be very distracting.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Ashlyn blinked in surprise at the voice in her head. She hadn’t expected that!

He is red, Ashlyn thought back. So far the company he keeps is us. He was enslaved and locked in the form of a psi-pony by an evil man. I seem to have freed him, though.
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Grynn looked skeptical at first at Ashlyn's description of what retirement was. As if a dragon had to worry about old age...or working! He supposed that other beings like humans would consider this, however, and perhaps even dwell on it. His eyes swung to Ndreare and then to Krys as they both spoke up as well on the subject. "Hmm. Very well. I shall ponder this, though my race is not, to my knowledge, known for the need to...retire...I suppose some DO get to the point that they like to sleep in their lairs for hundreds of years at a time. That could be like a retirement maybe?"

Then he was very interested in Krys as she spoke about his mother and her father. Chiang-Ku. He tasted that word, rolling it around in his mouth and mind. It was familiar and strange at the same time. Friends. A strange concept that he was not familiar with. "Friends." He frowned slightly. "Can you give more information on....friends?"

His head swung around as a horned boy showed up and wet himself. Grynn leaned back slightly, as if that would make his largeness less fear-inspiring. He tilted his head to one side, eyeing the boy. "I cannot help that, I am afraid. I am a dragon and aside from not being in my form, my kind do sometimes frighten others." He didn't sound apologetic, merely unsure if he was supposed to feel uncomfortable or remorse for literally being in his own skin. He made an encouraging noise and a small smile towards the D'Norr boy. "I believe it gets easier after the first time. Well for seeing a specific dragon. If you were to view another dragon later, I cannot guarantee it would not be frightening again."
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Ashlyn went over to Wrecked and crouched down, saying a few words of comfort to the boy. She cast a spell to make him more brave and gave him a small smile.

“Now go and change,” Ashlyn told him. “You can wear some of those new clothes I bought you. And play with Blanca.”

As the D’Norr ran off, Ashlyn turned back to Grynn. “Friends are...people who look out for each other,” she told him. “Who do things for each other and want best for each other. We are on team hunting vampires. Come to El Paso to talk to man who hunts vampires. Need to fight in arena to talk to man.”
Character Tracker
Wild Die always a d8
  • Deflection
  • Dispel
Adventure Cards
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

(rolls held)

"Yes, Chiang-Ku. A type of dragon. Great sages and masters of the arcane arts." She pauses at his question, and then shrugs, continuing her pedagogical bent of informing the lesser races and the young of the realities of the world. "Friends are people you associate with who you also trust. In general, any friend worthy of the title will do things because they feel you need them done, not because it gets them anything. Your mother saved my father, not because it gained her something, but because it was the decent thing to do. In doing so she made a friend of my father. When she was caught by the Splugorth, my entire Clan worked to get her and her Chiang-Ku companion free. She and her Chiang-Ku friend honoed our clan by giving you that tattoo with our clan's crest worked in. It was a great honor for us, and really cool to see done. I've seen plenty of my folk given power tattoos, but never one like you. The Chiang-Ku are truly remarkable. The fact that he put it on your shell and it transferred in was extremely amazing."
Quick Stats
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Grynn looked from one to the other as both Ashlynn and Krys spoke up. 'Chiang-Ku' edged out 'friends' as being more interesting, but it was less expanded upon. Still...dragons! So, of course! But he DID listen to what 'friends' meant, and it was an interesting concept. Like, 'allies', only less war-time sort of thing, and apparently more inclined towards being like bondmates almost.

"I...see." He nodded to them both. "Thank you. Very enlightening."

To Krys's comment about his tattoo, one hand instinctively went to the tattoo on his neck and he seemed to wince slightly. "Yes, I do not remember much, but I remember that it was...painful."
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

(rolls held)

She smirks and holds up her wrists. "Oh I know. I got this one," she holds up her own version of what he has, "when I was a child of six myself. I still remember the pain. The other I got at 25, almost 75 years ago. I still remember it. The one on my forehead was a mere 30 years ago."
Quick Stats
Grynn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Grynn »

Grynn gave a small, knowing wince and his sympathy went out to the True Atlantean. The memory of getting the tattoo was one of the truly vivid (and painful) memories that was the most prominent in his mind when he tried to remember his time before being 'reigned' in. And this woman had gotten not just two tattoos, but two more besides at least! It was almost hard to imagine, but as his mother had told him, power came with a price and there was a cost to most things in life. That didn't mean many things weren't worth the pain or cost, just that one had to be careful what one was willing to pay for.

He nodded at her and flashed her a small grin. "I understand. You are very brave."
Grynn
Character Summary
Active effects:

Wounds:

Return to “Chronicles of the Vampire Kingdoms”