Garnet Epilogue

Adventures of the 3rd SET, The Losers
Corrigon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Garnet Epilogue

Post by Corrigon »

The next few weeks after the declaration of Garnet Town are a busy one.
Sending a report to Castle Refuge immediately prompts a response ordering the team to stay in town until a visit from a senior member of the Tomorrow Legion could be arranged. Your orders were to protect Garnet Town and prevent access to the Nexus, in case of any attempt by the demons to return or the Federation or Coalition attempt retribution.

You are put up in Widow Mikkelson’s boarding house, though when Kidemonas needs to stretch out in full form, he is given the small hill where Lieutenant Cornell’s tent had been, though that did not deter the local children from trying to play with Kidemonas whether he was sleeping or not.

Lieutenant Cornell bade his farewells to the team;
“I’ve been recalled to Fort El Dorado to provide a full report. I hope the people here have made the right choice, though I know that Garnet Town has staunch defenders. Be careful, my superiors will not be happy with the decision made here nor do I imagine that the Federation of Magic will just forget about the transgressions here.
I doubt direct retaliation will be immediately forthcoming as there are bigger issues at hand, but I suppose that will depend on how my superiors view the Legion.”

With that, Lieutenant Cornell packed up his gear and set out into the wilderness to be met by a transport a few miles away.

Whilst you are waiting for reinforcements, the man with broken glasses comes to see you in private.
“There is something I think you ought to know. My name is Darius and I served in Tolkeen as part of their archaeological operations. That might not sound like much, but Tolkeen was hunting across the Megaverse for artefacts and spells and allies that might help it prevail against the Coalition States. Those foul Daemonix creatures were among the things they found and there were a treasure trove of items and spells and the like. I even saw Roderick give one of its premonitions once. That was frightening and exhilarating both at the same time let me tell you.
Anyway, I digress. I was still in Tolkeen when General Holmes surprise attack from the north and when the Dragons fled Dragonholme, the last of our hope was lost.
I had with me a book I had been translating, the Meganomicon. It had spells and what I read suggested that one of which might be a spell of Legend, something vastly powerful. I’m no mage and can’t use it and in the chaos, it wasn’t as if I had chance to pass it to somebody to verify my suspicions.
I was trapped in the library, due to fire and I was not likely to be long for this world, when I saw something I had not expected. A dragon hatchling, like your Kidemonas here, but smaller. I’d find out later that he was only a few hours old, born or hatched I should say in the midst of battle and chaos, yet here he was with a thirst for knowledge. He pulled me from the flames and we were able to escape Tolkeen together heading south into territory not really claimed by anybody, thankfully including the Xictix."

He adjusted his glasses, wobbling them slightly to get them in correct position, despite the state they were in.

“I was able to teach him what I knew of the principles behind magic and on understanding the spells and text contained within the Tome. Whether there was definitely a Spell of Legend in there I don’t know. We didn’t have much in the way of supplies and quite frankly living in the middle of a wilderness did not appeal to me.
I know he intended to study the tome in the hope he would find details of something to help people or possibly even hide the book from the wrong people, but he was only a young dragon.
Even a highly experienced mage can take months learning a spell of legend. The potential for things to go wrong is immense and I’ve seen even best intentions corrupted by things from Tolkeen. I tell the Legion this in the hope that you will be able to do something to help him.”
It is somewhere near the Arkansas border, but exactly where I do not know."
GM bennies 6/8
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Garnet Epilogue

Post by Kidemonas »

Notice 5
Kidemónas Notice Roll: [dice]0[/dice]
Notice Wild Die: [dice]1[/dice]
Listening to Cornell Kidemónas says. "Maybe they will be like you and be reasonable. You did not try to murder anyone or anything, so maybe your bosses will be like that?"

As Darius shares his story Kidemónas listens intently, completely missing the warnings provided his mind locks on only one part of the story. "Oh, I wonder if he will let me read the book. I plan on being legendary so I will need to know legendary spells."

Looking to the others he adds. "How long do your bosses want us to wait here? I think they should be quick about it, because I want to read this book."
Freya Kay

Post by Freya Kay »

Freya will give the Cornell, the Coalition Officer, a ride to his men if he accepts.
"I think you are a decent person, and I hope you are not punished for what happened here. I don't know how much does it matter, but you have a friend in me."
As for the town, she will assess how best to help them and improve their quality of life with Techno-Wizardry machinery.
About the spell book and the dragon, she is not completely interested, as there is no machinery involved.
Freya Kay -
Techno-Wizard
  • PPE (20): Used 8
  • Arcane Machinist (half Smarts - 6 session): Used 0
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d4 (+2 environment by armor)
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6 (+d6 running); Parry: 2; Toughness: 8 (4); Strain: 0; Max PPE: 20
Notice (Smarts) d8 (+2 to sight-based with TW Magic Optic System)
Adventure Deck Card:
Karma Thief: Take a benny from any other Wild Card (this may include other player characters).
Bennies: 4
Savant
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Savant »

Savant bids farewell to Cornell, with advice to "Keep your tush dry." Later, she listens to Darius' accounting of the book.

"I do not know how long the Legion wishes us to stay here, but I agree that your draconic friend will need aid. The treasures of Tolkeen were often terrible to behold, and should not just be left wandering loose in the land."
Savant
Stat Block
Altara Warrior Woman Crazy (Visibly Altaran)
Agility d12+4, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d12, Vigor d12
Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 10 (Uncanny Reflexes -2); Toughness: 16(6)
Charisma: +2 Attractive/-4 if anti-Altaran/-2 if Bloodthirsty known
Skills: Psionics d12; Shooting d10; Fighting d12; Notice d4+4; Tracking d4+2; Survival d4+2; Streetwise d4+2; Climbing d4; Common Knowledge d6; Agility Tricks d12+8
Edges: Quick, Alertness, Brawler/Martial Artist, Dirty/Tricky Fighter, Mighty Blow, Split the Seconds, Off the Handle, Acrobat, Major Psionic, Gun Nut, Quick Draw, Imp. Counterattack
Additional Edges: Gymnastic Mastery
Hindrances: Curious, Poverty, Stubborn, Major Phobia: Birds, Bloodthirsty, Blind-ish, Quirk
Bennies: 3/3
ISP: 18/20

Powers: Clairvoyance, Divination, Mind-Reading
  • Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Rabbit Out of My Hat - Play this card to gain +2 on any Trick test until the end of the scene.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Dressed to Kill - Your hero dresses up, is “on” for the night, or otherwise far more attractive or charismatic than usual. Add +4 to your Charisma for the duration of the current “scene.”
Penny Wise
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Penny Wise »

"No disrespect to Kide, but I wouldn't trust anyone with a potential Spell of Legend, a few hours old or a few hundred years. What do you think, then, should we set out to find them, or pass that up the chain of command?" Penny addressed this to the others as much as herself.
OOC Comments
Notice: [dice]0[/dice]
Ace Die: [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Die: [dice]1[/dice]
Penny Wise, Reporter at Large
Parry 4, Toughness 6, Armor 11
Charisma: 2
Bennies: 5 default, 4 current
- Spent 1: 8/16/2017
Active Effects: Vigor Boost (1 die) via Heracles
Savant
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Savant »

"I would say that we seem to be the ones on the spot. Passing word up the chain of command would require either a message or a radio transmission; either could be intercepted, at which point our best hope is that the crows and the vultures are too busy fighting one another to pluck out our eyes--well, all of your eyes, anyway." Of course, with Savant, it's always difficult to tell if she's speaking metaphorically or literally.
Savant
Stat Block
Skills: Psionics d12; Shooting d10; Fighting d12; Notice d4+4; Tracking d4+2; Survival d4+2; Streetwise d4+2; Climbing d4; Common Knowledge d6; Agility Tricks d12+8
Edges: Quick, Alertness, Brawler/Martial Artist, Dirty/Tricky Fighter, Mighty Blow, Split the Seconds, Off the Handle, Acrobat, Major Psionic, Gun Nut, Quick Draw, Imp. Counterattack
Hindrances: Curious, Poverty, Stubborn, Major Phobia: Birds, Bloodthirsty, Blind-ish, Quirk

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Rabbit Out of My Hat - Play this card to gain +2 on any Trick test until the end of the scene.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Dressed to Kill - Your hero dresses up, is “on” for the night, or otherwise far more attractive or charismatic than usual. Add +4 to your Charisma for the duration of the current “scene.”
Langdon Steed
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Langdon Steed »

notice 7 K-Common 4 K-Arcana 2
Notice : [dice]0[/dice]
ACE:[dice]8[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]1[/dice]

Common Knowledge: [dice]2[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]3[/dice]

Knowledge (Arcana): [dice]4[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]5[/dice]
persuasion 11
Persuasion +7CB/CHA: [dice]6[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]7[/dice]
Lang listens with keen interest to the strange man's tale about the book and the dragon. You've managed to see quite a lot in your time for someone who can't get his glasses fixed.
When the man finishes, Lang asks, "What is your name, friend? You've seen quite a lot in your days, eh? What advice do you have for a young vagabond like myself who's journey is just beginning?"
Kidemónas wrote:"How long do your bosses want us to wait here? I think they should be quick about it, because I want to read this book."
"You and me both, Kidemónas," Lang blurts quickly, trying to stake his own claim for the rare knowledge likely in this book. I'll be damned if this reptile cheats me out of my fair share! He then remembers part of his job is to play nice so he softens his words with a smile, "I mean, heh, I know you're a dragon and all but there's no sense in hoarding that spell all to yourself, right?"
Savant wrote:"I do not know how long the Legion wishes us to stay here, but I agree that your draconic friend will need aid. The treasures of Tolkeen were often terrible to behold, and should not just be left wandering loose in the land."
Pennywise wrote:"No disrespect to Kide, but I wouldn't trust anyone with a potential Spell of Legend, a few hours old or a few hundred years. What do you think, then, should we set out to find them, or pass that up the chain of command?"
Anyone? Let's not be too hasty about that...
"How can we pass something like this up?" he says, bypassing the question of whether or not the Spell will be researched.
Langdon Steed
Steed, Langdon Steed
MARS Mage Commando/Spy
BENNIES: 4/3
  • +1 for trying to get the Meganomicon in Nyxil's lair
Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d8 d10, Vigor d8
Charisma: 4 (6 when talking) ; Pace: 6 (d6 running); Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 13(7)
Curious, Greedy, Vow (Dweomer Agent), Sensitive: -2 to Fear checks
Notice d6, Common Knowledge d10, Intimidation d4-2, Persuasion d6+4 (+5 or +7 when talking)
I Know A Guy: (Once per session can invoke Connection Edge (Persuasion roll) with any person or group, only used up when contact is successfully made)
Exceptional Rapid Recharge (Lang's Belt): (+1 PP every 5 min)
Nerves of Steel: (He may ignore 1 point of wound penalties)
Jack of All Trades: (ignore -2 penalty for untrained Smarts skills)
Filthy Rich
Master of Magic: (MEGA spells)

WOUNDS:

Active Effects
Lucky Belt (Exc. Rapid Recharge, +2 Spellcasting rolls): 7m45s
TW Combat Armor charge: 7m45s
TW Comm Band 42m30s
Exalted Darksight (raise: +2 to attack rolls): 42m45s
Exalted Detect Arcana: 2/3 rounds
Speak Languages: 10m00s

PPE: 9/25

BLUR Deflection (Greater Deflection)
DECEIVE Disguise (Mass Disguise)
TRUESIGHT/HIDE Detect/Conceal Arcana (Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana)
Available only when wearing powered TW Combat Mage Armor
SHADOWSIGHT Darksight (Exalted Darksight)
EAGLE EYES Farsight (Greater Farsight)
Available only when wearing powered TW Communication Band
TONGUES Speak Languages (Mass Understanding)
Available only when wearing Lang's Belt
DIG-DUG Burrow (Greater Burrow)

Adventure Cards
==Theme Song: It’s one of those “inspiring music movie moments” when the heroes get their second wind! You and all allies who can see your signal or hear your voice (walkie-talkies count) recover automatically from Shaken status and any Fear effects, due to your inspiring words.
==Folk Hero: Play after you save a group of people from dire circumstances. The community adopts you and your party as local heroes, and you can always find aid there.
==Sudden Death: Say or do something that causes all enemies within 12' to lose their next action.
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Penny Wise wrote:"No disrespect to Kide, but I wouldn't trust anyone with a potential Spell of Legend, a few hours old or a few hundred years...

Kidemónas give Penny a sideways look, almost a glare before realizing that he is supposed to be a hero. But unable to restrain himself he mumbles. "I don't see anyone telling you which pen you are allowed to use."

Langdon Steed wrote:"You and me both, Kidemónas," Lang blurts quickly, trying to stake his own claim for the rare knowledge likely in this book. I'll be damned if this reptile cheats me out of my fair share! He then remembers part of his job is to play nice so he softens his words with a smile, "I mean, heh, I know you're a dragon and all but there's no sense in hoarding that spell all to yourself, right?"

Much happier with this turn Kidemónas says. "Well I see no reason we cannot all read it." Thinking to himself as long as he gets to keep the book when all is said and done, he is more than willing to let the others read it and practice from it.
OOC Comments
After all he is a dragon and greedy, no way is he going to just burn something like that.
Savant
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Savant »

At some point during the days immediately following the fracas, Savant starts wearing some very spiffy new armor, which, if asked, she simply says is a gift from 'an admirer'. The TW-enhanced Gladiator armor is clearly designed for someone who wants to put on a show for a crowd.
Savant
Stat Block

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
Heracles
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Heracles »

Heracles shook his head. "If the spell is too dangerous in the hands of mortals," He turned his eyes on Kid and Langdon specifically, "then it be our duty to safeguard it or destroy it. Not to read it and further on potential for chaos and destruction."

He raised an eyebrow at the young dragon. "No offense meant, but you are young, and if you are an example of what a young dragon could be like, then this spell is not safe in the hands of a young dragon born in war. The temptation to use such for selfish ends would be great indeed."
Notice check 8
Notice die [dice]0[/dice]
Wild die [dice]1[/dice]
Heracles
Character Summary
Dog Boy Crazy

Active effects: Uncanny Reflexes (-2).

Parry: 7 (plus Uncanny Reflexes -2; -2 when Berserk); Toughness: 18(7) [Triax T-11 Enhanced Armor]
Weapon in hand: Chain Long Sword, Vibrosword or Wilk’s 447 Laser Rifle

Edges: Elan, Jack-of-all-Trades, Major Psionic, Off The Handle, Quick, Split the Seconds, Sublime Chaos

Powers: Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Healing, Smite
ISP: 15/20

Charisma: -2 (0 with Dog Boys)
Bennies: 2

Adventure Cards:
  • Deadly Blow - Play after damage is rolled to double the total of a successful melee attack.
  • In the Zone - Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
  • Renown - Play after completing a good deed of some import. You gain a permanent +1 Charisma bonus toward those who have heard of you (typically a 50% chance).
Wounds:

Currently playing in: 3rd Set The Losers
Corrigon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Corrigon »

Langdon Steed wrote:
Lang listens with keen interest to the strange man's tale about the book and the dragon. You've managed to see quite a lot in your time for someone who can't get his glasses fixed.
When the man finishes, Lang asks, "What is your name, friend? You've seen quite a lot in your days, eh? What advice do you have for a young vagabond like myself who's journey is just beginning?"
Darius looked over his broken glasses at Langdon, a hint of amusement in his eyes,
“My name is Darius Young my good sir,” he responded with a slight smile, “Judging by your weapons, I am probably not the best person to provide the advice you are looking for.
Learn, read everything you can. A little bit of knowledge can go a long way in this world. You never know what you might find or need to know about.
I have a few books here that you can study that I managed to salvage from Tolkeen
On a personal note, if you come across any books, I would like to create a library here for the people of Garnet Town, so any assistance you can provide in that endeavour would be much appreciated."
GM bennies 6/8
Langdon Steed
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Langdon Steed »

notice 5 k-arcana 5 spellcasting 1
Notice: [dice]0[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]1[/dice]

Knowledge (Arcana): [dice]2[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]3[/dice]

Spellcasting: [dice]4[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]5[/dice]
Darius Young wrote:“My name is Darius Young my good sir,” he responded with a slight smile, “Judging by your weapons, I am probably not the best person to provide the advice you are looking for.
Touché. "Heh...well a man needs to defend himself in a dangerous world." Lang offers a short laugh but cringes inwardly at his weak reply.
Darius Young wrote:"Learn, read everything you can. A little bit of knowledge can go a long way in this world. You never know what you might find or need to know about.
I have a few books here that you can study that I managed to salvage from Tolkeen."
Langdon tries to cast truesight on himself in the off chance any of the books are magical in nature - and also get a better look at Darius Young while he's at it - but his eagerness to open the books distracts him and causes the spell to misfire, momentarily blinding him. In an effort to hide his embarrassment Lang hungrily grabs and pretends to inspect the books, waiting for his vision to return. To his credit, he does remember to mumble a "Thank you, Mr. Young." before his clearing vision allows him to examine the books.
Darius Young wrote:"On a personal note, if you come across any books, I would like to create a library here for the people of Garnet Town, so any assistance you can provide in that endeavour would be much appreciated."
The man's words finally draw Lang away from his eager examination of the books. "A library?" Lang asks doubtfully. "Well, if they open a wizard school here like I suggested they will definitely need a library. But there's a lot of work to do so I can't make any promises."
Langdon Steed
Steed, Langdon Steed
MARS Mage Commando/Spy
BENNIES: 4/3
  • +1 for trying to get the Meganomicon in Nyxil's lair
Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d8 d10, Vigor d8
Charisma: 4 (6 when talking) ; Pace: 6 (d6 running); Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 13(7)
Curious, Greedy, Vow (Dweomer Agent), Sensitive: -2 to Fear checks
Notice d6, Common Knowledge d10, Intimidation d4-2, Persuasion d6+4 (+5 or +7 when talking)
I Know A Guy: (Once per session can invoke Connection Edge (Persuasion roll) with any person or group, only used up when contact is successfully made)
Exceptional Rapid Recharge (Lang's Belt): (+1 PP every 5 min)
Nerves of Steel: (He may ignore 1 point of wound penalties)
Jack of All Trades: (ignore -2 penalty for untrained Smarts skills)
Filthy Rich
Master of Magic: (MEGA spells)

WOUNDS:

Active Effects
Lucky Belt (Exc. Rapid Recharge, +2 Spellcasting rolls): 7m45s
TW Combat Armor charge: 7m45s
TW Comm Band 42m30s
Exalted Darksight (raise: +2 to attack rolls): 42m45s
Exalted Detect Arcana: 2/3 rounds
Speak Languages: 10m00s

PPE: 9/25

BLUR Deflection (Greater Deflection)
DECEIVE Disguise (Mass Disguise)
TRUESIGHT/HIDE Detect/Conceal Arcana (Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana)
Available only when wearing powered TW Combat Mage Armor
SHADOWSIGHT Darksight (Exalted Darksight)
EAGLE EYES Farsight (Greater Farsight)
Available only when wearing powered TW Communication Band
TONGUES Speak Languages (Mass Understanding)
Available only when wearing Lang's Belt
DIG-DUG Burrow (Greater Burrow)

Adventure Cards
==Theme Song: It’s one of those “inspiring music movie moments” when the heroes get their second wind! You and all allies who can see your signal or hear your voice (walkie-talkies count) recover automatically from Shaken status and any Fear effects, due to your inspiring words.
==Folk Hero: Play after you save a group of people from dire circumstances. The community adopts you and your party as local heroes, and you can always find aid there.
==Sudden Death: Say or do something that causes all enemies within 12' to lose their next action.

Return to “3rd SET Adventure Forum”