Psi Druid (Play Test)

GM: The One and Only Pender Lumkiss!
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Psi Druid (Play Test)

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

The psionic gifts of a Psi-Druid lend themselves much more to oneness with Nature than more standard psionic practices. Choosing this road is often guided by the emotional and spiritual inclinations of the Psi-Druid discovering her powers for the first time, especially if she doesn't have a formal means of instruction and guidance at hand. Shamans and more traditional arcane druids are often both amused and confused by Psi-Druids, but certainly welcome them to the greater family of those who wish to protect and nurture the natural world.

„
  • Begin with Psionics d6, Arcane Background (Psionics), 10 ISP, use the Mystic's Miracles or Psionics lists and begin with three powers as well as detect/conceal arcana and healing. In the Psi-Druid's case, all powers are psionic and use ISP.
  • Begin with the Beast Master, Healer, and Woodsman Edges.
  • Begin with Healing d6 and Survival d6
  • The psi druid has a supernatural sense when it comes to detecting animals and plants. They can detect arcana (with presence sense) per the base power (no modifiers, costing no Power Points) on plants and animals with a Notice check. They do not ignore penalties for plants or animals hidden by supernatural abilities like invisibility.
  • Their knowledge about weather, plants and animals boarders on the supernatural. This intuitive link to nature gives them a free reroll on survival when in a wilderness environment.
  • Low-tech: The worldly Psi Druid knows the need for a good weapon and occasional armor; they use simple melee weapons—including those that do Mega Damage like Vibro-Blades—and non-powered body armor. Most do not use guns, but a few make use of simple rifles. They dislike vehicles, choosing not to learn to drive and prefer-ring not to ride inside of them. Note if the Psi-Druid Race has low-tech replace this hindrance with Retro-Tech.
  • Many psi druids are either uncomfortable around other people favoring the wild Or find themselves hounded to no end by those in need. Gain one of the following hindrances with no benefit: Obligation (minor) Or Outsider (minor).
    Begin with standard Starting Gear substituting Adventure Survival Light Armor.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Psi Druid (Play Test)

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Feedback is welcome.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Hm... While I get the reason for vibro-weapons from a game-play aspect, given that they use e-clips, they still seem fairly 'high-tech' for this group (where would they recharge the e-clip?). I'd think they'd be more inclined to use SteelTree and Dinosaur Bone weapons (from EoH pg 37), or "Magic Equivalents" (A&M pg 46) to standard vibro-weapons. Include such in their starting gear, and note that they get a +1 bonus to Networking rolls to locate sellers of SteelTree and Dino-Bone weapons and armor.

(Note: This is not based on PR lore, but rather on the write-up you've got above.)
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Freemage wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm Hm... While I get the reason for vibro-weapons from a game-play aspect, given that they use e-clips, they still seem fairly 'high-tech' for this group (where would they recharge the e-clip?). I'd think they'd be more inclined to use SteelTree and Dinosaur Bone weapons (from EoH pg 37), or "Magic Equivalents" (A&M pg 46) to standard vibro-weapons. Include such in their starting gear, and note that they get a +1 bonus to Networking rolls to locate sellers of SteelTree and Dino-Bone weapons and armor.

(Note: This is not based on PR lore, but rather on the write-up you've got above.)
I just went with the low tech of the sasquatch. I totally see in PR they get an energy rifle, but it also says right after that they are not tech savvy. Given their other weapons were low tech it seemed to fit. I am totally willing to modify it, maybe all thumbs would better represent the psi druid relationship with tech?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 pm
Freemage wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm Hm... While I get the reason for vibro-weapons from a game-play aspect, given that they use e-clips, they still seem fairly 'high-tech' for this group (where would they recharge the e-clip?). I'd think they'd be more inclined to use SteelTree and Dinosaur Bone weapons (from EoH pg 37), or "Magic Equivalents" (A&M pg 46) to standard vibro-weapons. Include such in their starting gear, and note that they get a +1 bonus to Networking rolls to locate sellers of SteelTree and Dino-Bone weapons and armor.

I just went with the low tech of the sasquatch. I totally see in PR they get an energy rifle, but it also says right after that they are not tech savvy. Given their other weapons were low tech it seemed to fit. I am totally willing to modify it, maybe all thumbs would better represent the psi druid relationship with tech?
I kind of like the Retro-tech from Atlantis, actually--again, it fits the 'feel' I get from the flavor text:

Also called "Retros" or Luddites, some
philosophies and societies reject high
technology in favor of an old-world lifestyle.
Such heroes are revolted by advanced
technology (1900s or later) of any kind
including energy weapons, rail guns, vibroblades, robot vehicles, computers—as well
as similar Techno-Wizardry devices.
Retrotechs wishing to interact with
advanced technology in any way (using
advanced weapons, means of travel, etc.)
must first check Spirit. With a success they
may spend a Benny to use the item and
make their rolls to do so at a penalty of –2,
or no penalty with a raise.
Retrotechs also suffer a –1 penalty on
social interactions with sentient robots,
cyborgs, and other mechancal beings.

Given that Retrotech is a Major Hindrance, while Low Tech and All Thumbs seem to be Minor, this would also eliminate the need for the optional Minor Hindrance. And 'needs a Spirit roll' seems to fit the idea of a quasi-religious opposition to the idea of high-tech (as opposed to a physical disability like All Thumbs). Oddly enough, All Thumbs hinders someone using, say, a modern firearm or even a crossbow, while Retrotech allows it unhindered.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Daniel
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Daniel »

The psi druid has a supernatural sense when it comes to detecting animals and plants. When activating detect magic they always add a version of presence sense(at no additional ppt cost) that only works to locate animals and plants.

Possible rewording of the power:
  • The psi druid has a supernatural sense when it comes to detecting animals and plants. They can detect arcana (with presence sense) per the base power (no modifiers, costing no Power Points) on plants and animals with a Notice check. They do not ignore penalties for plants or animals hidden by supernatural abilities like invisibility.

Possible additional ability?
  • Once a day the psi Druid can attempt a free healing per the base power (no modifiers, costing no Power Points) on plants and animals with a Healing check.

Keep the: Low-tech: The worldly Psi Druid knows …. Write up ….
Possible Starting Equipment?
  • Begin with standard Starting Gear substituting a suit of Light Enchanted Armor (+4 Armor +1 Toughness, Min Str d4, 4 lb), plus either one SteelTree weapon or Techno Wizard weapon.
Agents of Titan Robotics Industries (AoT)
The Agents (Players)
• Jim - Sparkmort Zipwidget: Male Tinker Gnome Power Armor Ace
• Derrick - Caiden: Male Human, Momano Headhunter
• Steve (Hans) - Berk: Male Simvan Psi-Druid Monster Tamer/Rider
• Murp - Rupetta Martin: Female Human MARS Merc Soldier (X-CS)
• Freemage - Lance: Male Dog Boy Techno-Warrior (Cyber[netic] Knight)
• CSC - Ozy “Oz”: Dragon

My Accounts:
Active
  • Daniel - Admin/GM of AoT
  • Jackal - IC (Neural Intelligence) - 7th SET
  • Vi - Space Pirate - Stars Without Numbers
  • Henry Grimes - CS Commando - Rumble in the Jungle

Not Active
  • Hondo - Wild Psi Stalker
  • Burn - Mega Juicer - Juicer Uprising (On Hold)
  • Blackfish - Ogre Combat Mage - 12th SET (On Hold)
  • Setrakian - Dragon Juicer - FoM Jungles (Retired)

NPC Accounts
  • Lord Coake - NPC
  • Valentine - NPC
  • Erin Tarn - NPC
  • James T - NPC
  • Hagen Lonovich - NPC

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Updated with Lars suggestion on how detect works. Kept Low-tech but put in some info about how it is changed to retro-tech if the race also has low tech. I like the hindrance and flavor but I think it possibly goes to far when compared to the lore of the psi-druid. Low-tech might not be perfect either... But I think it is close enough. Thank you both for the awesome feedback.

~Of course if the changes end up being unbalancing we'll just go back to the raw write up.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Tomorrow Legion: Mercy Six (On Hold)”