Strangelight: A Savage Iron Kingdoms Game

stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Strangelight: A Savage Iron Kingdoms Game

Post by stormwell »

The Strangelight Workshop is a private institute that investigates and resolves incidents of occult phenomena. Most often the services of the Strangelight Workshop are contracted for a price, but the organization sometimes conducts its own investigations and may do pro bono work if there is a high chance of gathering rare information of interest to the Strangelight Workshop. The organization is primarily interested in study of otherworldly entities, particularly grymkin, infernals, and the disembodied dead. They also investigate matters of the occult and black magic. However, such “mundane” cases generally lie outside the core interests of the Strangelight Workshop and are undertaken only for the purpose of garnering monetary compensation or when pertinent to other research. The Strangelight Workshop is primarily active in Cygnar and Ord, where it has small branch offices in several cities, but it has agents and contacts scattered across all of Western Immoren.

Strangelight is a Savage Worlds game set in the Iron Kingdoms setting of Warmachine and Hordes, a world of steampunk fantasy where monsters and magic meet firearm and steam power. Characters will be part of a group of effectively 'steampunk ghostbusters' known as the Strangelight Workshop who deal with things that go bump in the night and the unquiet dead.

Looking for five players, ideally filling the following roles below;

Bouncer - Deals with physical threats to the team, but negates and avoids violence where possible. Mix of combat and social.

Caller - Has the job of interacting with spirits, primarily to discover what may be keeping them in the physical world.

Investigator - Observes and records data, but also acts as the de facto leader. Investigation good here, but combat and social is useful.

Jammer - Much like the Bouncer, but deals with ethereal threats. Combat is good, but some occult knowledge wouldn't go down amiss.

Mechanik - Repair guy, tasked with keeping the Workshop's more temperamental and experimental equipment running.

More information *here*.

Character Creation & Rules

Normal rules for character creation, plus some extras can be found in the following two documents (admittedly still a little work in progress).

SWADE Iron Kingdoms - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFcUxW ... sp=sharing

Strangelight - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXtjdQ ... sp=sharing
Manny Costa

Re: Strangelight: A Savage Iron Kingdoms Game

Post by Manny Costa »

I'm interested for sure. It has been a while since I played/read any IK stuff. But I think I can manage. Looking at the list of roles, I'd be interested mostly in filling that Mechanik roll. I'm initially thinking of a Gobber. I recall playing a Bodger years ago and enjoying that. So maybe something along those lines, if that works. I'll go through character creation later today and see what I can come up with.
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Skwyd42 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 am I'm interested for sure. It has been a while since I played/read any IK stuff. But I think I can manage. Looking at the list of roles, I'd be interested mostly in filling that Mechanik roll. I'm initially thinking of a Gobber. I recall playing a Bodger years ago and enjoying that. So maybe something along those lines, if that works. I'll go through character creation later today and see what I can come up with.
Gobber Mechanik works.

Little out of the loop with events in the setting, but sure I've got the major ones.

Game will take place during 610-611 AR.
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

I would be interested. Probably in the Bouncer role. I don't have much knowledge of the Iron Kingdoms though.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Okay, count me in for a Gunmage assuming there will be a spot.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Ndreare wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am Okay, count me in for a Gunmage assuming there will be a spot.
Cool.

Were you looking to go Investigator route as well?
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I need to read and get my brain zeroed on what you have.

In my mind Gaslighting normally means manipulation like to make someone think they are crazy or do not understand reality. So I need to see the setting and see if that is what they are trying to communicate or if it is some other concept.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

@Ndreare You'll be encountering spirits/ghosts, grymkin and possibly infernals.

The Strangelight Workshop's main role is to investigate and deal with hauntings, particularly helping and document spirits crossing over to the other side.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Oh cool.

Sounds like an investigator would be just what is needed.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Just listing possible characters so far.

Bouncer - Matt

Investigator/Gun Mage - Rob

Mechanik - Skwyd42
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Looking to hopefully run this in the New Year, any interest?
GingerGiant

Post by GingerGiant »

Ok, I’m hooked. Dibs on Jammer.

Thinking of playing an Iossan outcast. I might overlap a little with the Mechanik and Caller, but not too much. The character I have in mind will wind up with some combination of the following hindrances:
  • Arrogant
  • Curious
  • Big Mouth
  • Outsider
EDIT: I could just as well lean towards Caller depending on how my idea fleshes out.
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

I'm only in a few games now, so if there's room for me I could throw my hat in. I'm not sure what is needed now, as the original posting seems a bit outdated.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Taken little bit of a backseat over the past month, but focusing extra energy to get this up and running.
Manny Costa

Post by Manny Costa »

I'm still interested. And still interested in the mechanik role. Could potentially adjust from my initial idea of a Gobber.
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

I prefer magic, or a mix of magic and smack in’ but I can play anything happily.

Jammer, Bouncer and Mechanic all sound fun, but not if someone else would prefer them.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Koshnek wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:11 am I prefer magic, or a mix of magic and smack in’ but I can play anything happily.

Jammer, Bouncer and Mechanic all sound fun, but not if someone else would prefer them.
Possibly Bouncer, I know people expressed interest in the other roles.

Anyway, advertised via both Facebook and the SW Discord for players.
Algon Waelan

Post by Algon Waelan »

Since the interest seems to be for the other roles, I'm throwing my hat in as the group's Caller. (This is GingerGiant)

On that note, have you decided what the final abilities of Iossan Elves are?

Characters
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Algon Waelan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 am Since the interest seems to be for the other roles, I'm throwing my hat in as the group's Caller. (This is GingerGiant)

d6 Agility

Arcana and Mechanika as Core Skills

Arrogance Hindrance
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

So, looks like the following so far.

Bouncer - open

Caller - claimed

Investigator - open?

Jammer - open

Mechanik claimed
Algon Waelan

Post by Algon Waelan »

stormwell wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Algon Waelan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:05 am Since the interest seems to be for the other roles, I'm throwing my hat in as the group's Caller. (This is GingerGiant)

d6 Agility

Arcana and Mechanika as Core Skills

Arrogance Hindrance
Is Arcana the same as Spellcasting?

Characters
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

Yes, could be used in lieu of Spellcasting or as a Knowledge skill.
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

Jammer -> Bouncer -> Caller for me, but I'm ok with any of the three. You mentioned you recruited off of social media, so I'd also let someone new to the site have my space, too, if it came to that.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Manny Costa

Post by Manny Costa »

I'll start fiddling with a Mechanik probably this weekend. Also, could you point me to where the thread is on profiles and such so I don't get posts for this character wrapped up with posts from the other game?
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

@Manny Costa Just create a whole new account. Give the new account your new character's name (if you have one already, if not it can be changed later). You can link the new account to your old account for easy switching, too (User Control Panel -> Linked Accounts).

That's actually the preferred method, so you can't go wrong with doing it.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
UnAngelVerde1

Post by UnAngelVerde1 »

Hey hey hey! INterested in the Jammer/bouncer role, wichever is less interesting to you guys.
Jelena

Post by Jelena »

Ah, okay, got a second profile set up and will change the name to my character's name as soon as I get that sorted out.

Thanks @Koshnek for the assist there!
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

OK, recap on the roles currently taken/claimed.

Caller
Mechanik

Bouncer/Jammer, couple of people have expressed interest in those roles.

Leaves Investigator currently free.
Algon Waelan

Post by Algon Waelan »

Any updates on the Bouncer and Jammer?

Characters
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

I'm gonna give it until the end of the month, if no players step in to play as the Bouncer and/or Investigator then I'll run those as NPCs.

Return to “Savage Iron Kingdoms”