Designing your Merc Group

GM: Stoic
Money, missions, munitions. There's no such thing as friendly fire with this group!
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Designing your Merc Group

Post by Stoic »

As far as the Merc Group goes, I think a few topics should be sorted out ahead of time.

Do you have a name for the group?

What type of organizational structure do you have? Is one person always the leader? Does the leader change by mission type?

Are there any types of jobs you refuse to do? Do you specialize in any type of job in particular?

Do you have a communal space you use for gear storage, emergency meeting space, etc.?

Anyone that participates in this topic can have a Benny that does not expire at the end of the quarter.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Re: Designing your Merc Group

Post by Snake Eyes »

No random violence against innocents. Governments are iron fists of oppression. Government hires us, we'll do it as long as it's not putting a boot on the neck of the people, but we're probably gonna get some inside dirt on the government that hired us while we're at it.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Flipside, Mille probably would not want to take an explicitly anti-government/Northern Gun Company job (the distinction between the government and the NGC being virtually nil, here). She could be persuaded that a rogue element within the company needed to be dealt with for the common good. She'll generally be happy with any jobs NG themselves provides.

Oh, and no way in hell would she take a job from the Naruni, or anyone affiliated with them, unless she saw it as an opportunity to do a double-cross and kill anyone involved. "The only good Naruni is a Naruni who's been killed, cremated and had their ashes dumped into the bottom of a Grackletooth latrine."

Other than the Naruni, though, she's not quite as human-centric as a lot of the citizens are; she's fully aware that NG will deal with d-Bees under the table, so she sees no reason why she shouldn't, too. Ditto for 'dirty jobs' that don't explicitly target innocent civilians--she'd have no real issue getting paid for helping one group of miscreants take down another group.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Robert Davis Lewis

Post by Robert Davis Lewis »

I see each member of the group kind of like being a barber or hairstylist. We each take jobs, we will work with each other and we are in the same building. We have a central greeting area with a receptionist/Manager. We each have our own personally decorated office/living space (mine is going to be a classic 1930's design with tasteful modern equipment.) There is 1 garage that we all share with our designated parking.

after reviewing the job, the receptionist/manager determine that the job is big then they assign the job to the appropriate people to team up and give the briefing. I.e. I believe i'm more inclined for espionage/observation work.

I probably handle a lot of standard marital issues (bread and butter). As for jobs that I won't do, Definitely nothing from the aliens. Naruni, atlantis etc...
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

With NG being essentially the government, it would stand to reason it's just as disfunctional and competitive as any other government, with rivalries and lack of communication between divisions. So, the Strategic Intelligence Division might hire us to nab some designs the wonks in Clandestine Energy Weapons Development have refused to share, for example. We're working for NG against NG. For the good of the company, if that helps mollify the company men and women among us.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Kara Acoma

Post by Kara Acoma »

Kara would take any job that would have need for a sniper on overwatch or sneaking into a place. If the target deserves it she'd be fine taking them out to achieve the mission.

Stands to reason having a central safe house or operations center to work out of. We probably need some transportation... but I did not save any credits for a vehicle.
Character Sheet
Notice: d6+2 (Optics & Audio packages)
Parry: 7 (9 with Trademark Weapon)
Toughness: 8 (Armor to 13)
Edges: Marskman, Double tap, Steady Hands, Dodge
Jack Cooper

Post by Jack Cooper »

Jack's preferred type of job is going to be in the nature of bounty hunting or some kind of security work. Doing a heist isn't going to be his favorite kind of job but he can rationalize it as something that has to be done. He has his own code in which going murder hobo is right out. He'll kill anyone that needs killin but innocent bystanders and prisoners are a hard no.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Jack Cooper

Player: James
Bennies 2 of 3

Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d10
Pace: 6 Run Die: d6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 17(7) Strain: 2/10

Edges: Brave, Combat Lifesaver, Danger Sense, Dead Shot, Elan, Expert, Level Headed (Cyber), Marksman, Professional, Quick, Quick Draw, Sharpshooting, Take 'Em Down, Improved Trademark Weapon (NG Equalizer "Bessie"), Two-Gun Kid

Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Robert Davis Lewis wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:46 am I see each member of the group kind of like being a barber or hairstylist. We each take jobs, we will work with each other and we are in the same building. We have a central greeting area with a receptionist/Manager. We each have our own personally decorated office/living space (mine is going to be a classic 1930's design with tasteful modern equipment.) There is 1 garage that we all share with our designated parking.

after reviewing the job, the receptionist/manager determine that the job is big then they assign the job to the appropriate people to team up and give the briefing. I.e. I believe i'm more inclined for espionage/observation work.

I probably handle a lot of standard marital issues (bread and butter). As for jobs that I won't do, Definitely nothing from the aliens. Naruni, atlantis etc...
My opinion on this is that the main play (the actual adventures) stick to 'big jobs'--the all-ins, where the paychecks are big enough and the tasks complex enough that everyone is called in. This way, Mike can focus just on that part of things.

(Insert Oldman "Everyone" gif from The Professional here.)

But those solo or small-group jobs could absolutely make good fodder for Interludes. That way, we don't have to worry about smaller gigs where only some folks are involved, but it's clear that that is part of the set-up, and gives the PCs chances to strut their individual professional leanings.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Robert Davis Lewis

Post by Robert Davis Lewis »

@Freemage

I agree with your assessment. I was describing the overall in game feel/ambiange.

Return to “Northern Gun - Mercenaries”