Chapter 5: Campfire

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Pursuit
Game Master

Chapter 5: Campfire

Post by Pursuit »

Having thoroughly routed the three Murder Wraiths, the 32nd makes good time getting away from the blazing forest fire and continuing on toward their destination.

Dirty and exhausted after the perils of the day, the team reaches an acceptable campsite a few hours after the battle. Amidst the bustle of setting up camp, you each find yourselves with a moment to reflect and to interact with your teammates.

Please go ahead and use this as an opportunity for some open role play following the combat. You may make your posts as short or as long as you like, and anyone who tags another team member in their post will get an extra benny for the quarter.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Vargan Orok

Re: Chapter 5: Campfire

Post by Vargan Orok »

Hedge sullenly puffs on a cigarette while staring into the fire, the group prevailed and no one was lost. Thank goodness for small miracles. His hands shake slightly as he takes another puff and exhales slowly trying to bring down his overactive adrenal system. Staring into the smoke for a long second he finally speaks, to @Squidge: "I don't know what it cost you emotionally to reach into the minds of those things, but thank you. You saved the day."
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3, Conviction 2/2
Falderol Grelemis

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Billy leans against a log, apparently asleep already. Hearing @Hedge speak Billy pushes his hat back and looks over. "Yep. That took some skill and guts. Course, staying on your horse is a good idea too. I can give you a few pointers if you want." A slight grin shows the jest in the comment.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle is likely the last to leave the battle scene. Questions playing through his mind and concern for the direction of the forest fire. He investigates
Research 1d10!!+2: [1]+2 = 3 Wild 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
. Castle feels that the necromancer responsible would have left a signature in the occult and magics used to rebirth each murder wraith.

He could not recall weather that would have created the fire and the murder wraiths don't come along by accident.

As he rode into the camp he nodded towards @Goswin Aigner, "Thanks for the aide of nature. You didn't by chance start the forest fires?"

As he dismounts from his hovercycle, he approaches the fire. Before sitting down he states very plainly and to no one in particular, "Murder wraiths don't just happen."
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@White Castle isn’t sure, but given what’s happening with Nyxla, he suspects the murder wraiths and ghouls may have been drawn to the area by the dark energies associated with the dark harvest.

Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Wealth roll to see if we have the parts? Not sure how to handle that 1; And that's a crit fail. Sigh.
Wealth 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wilderness outside Psyscape
Evening
Round 0

“That smoke gets everywhere,” Dazzle said, sniffing her pink hair. She finished her dinner around the campfire. “That was a lot of ghouls to run into at one time. I wonder where they came from. I don’t know much about those kinds of creatures, though,” she admitted.

Draining back a drink, Dazzle sighed. “Guess I should get to work. Need to see what kind of spare parts we have to fix my girl.” She looked over at her Glitter Grrl suit. “Sensors crapped out on me in the middle of that fight.”

Dazzle went to the Mountaineer and searched through, but there was nothing there to fix her sensors with. She was going to have to wait until they got to the next settlement, or maybe found some salvage lying around.

“Just my luck,” Dazzle said, sinking down at the fire again. “Pass me that bottle.”

Technical Difficulties (Sensors): Serious Problem: Subtract 2 when using the device, or reduce any bonus by 2.
  • Repair time 2 hours, a Repair check at −2, and parts equal to 20% of the item’s cost (300 credits).
Current Loadout
Party Loot
TW Longsword
Black market light body armor x2
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6 (GG 7); Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 3/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d6 (19,000)
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Ghost Blades: 1/24 hours
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Rifle: 20/20
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Dazzle unfortunately does not have any spare parts on hand for her suit, but she may be able to scrounge up something that would work from the bits and bobs in the back of the mountaineer. After all, a vehicle's sensor suite is not so different from a suit of power armor.

Please make a Repair roll at -2 to see if you can scrounge up some spare parts from the mountaineer. On a success, you get what you need and can then attempt to repair the glitter boy. On a failure, you are stuck with the busted optics until you have a chance to get to a city or town where you might be able to buy parts.

You can ignore the wealth die roll you made; not needed here.

Sis

Post by Sis »

Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:49 pm
“That smoke gets everywhere,” Dazzle said, sniffing her pink hair. She finished her dinner around the campfire. “That was a lot of ghouls to run into at one time. I wonder where they came from. I don’t know much about those kinds of creatures, though,” she admitted.
Sis sets the logs she gathered down near the fallen tree they are using as a bench and positions one in the fire. She is especially careful, as she can't actually see the flame.

"I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more worried about [what they were running from. Scaring ghouls and murder wraiths isn't easy. I'm hoping it was just the fire, but we should be careful anyway. @Hedge, your from around here right? Anything you know of that could spook things like that?"
Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:49 pm
Draining back a drink, Dazzle sighed. “Guess I should get to work. Need to see what kind of spare parts we have to fix my girl.” She looked over at her Glitter Grrl suit. “Sensors crapped out on me in the middle of that fight.”

Dazzle went to the Mountaineer and searched through, but there was nothing there to fix her sensors with. She was going to have to wait until they got to the next settlement, or maybe found some salvage lying around.

“Just my luck,” Dazzle said, sinking down at the fire again. “Pass me that bottle.”
"You know @Dazzle there might be a few spare parts in the back of the ATV we could use. I'm no techno wizard, but I can give you hand. As long as your tools aren't color coded..."

[Sis will make a support roll for Dazzle if that is appropriate @Pursuit ]
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 2/3
-1 for Fear Reroll

Conviction: Yes

ISP: 18/20
-1 armor
-1 smite
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (6)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Sis A support roll here is totally fine. Good thinking.

Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Repair 3; Yes, the dice just hate this character...
Repair 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll
Repair 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Benny to reroll
Repair 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Last Benny to reroll
Repair 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Evening
Round 0

“Guess I could take a look through the Mountaineer parts,” Dazzle said. She spent the next hour sifting through wires, nuts, fuses, anything, but still had no luck.

Technical Difficulties (Sensors): Serious Problem: Subtract 2 when using the device, or reduce any bonus by 2.
  • Repair time 2 hours, a Repair check at −2, and parts equal to 20% of the item’s cost (300 credits).
Current Loadout
Party Loot
TW Longsword
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6 (GG 7); Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 0/3
Sis

Post by Sis »

Support +1
Notice 1d6!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!: [4] = 4
"What exactly is it you are looking for? Sis asks as she sees dazzle get increasingly frustrated with her search.

Once the glitter girl has described what she needs, Sis joins her in searching through the spare parts cargo in the back of the mountaineer.

While doing so, sis notices something sticking out from a small uncover vent shaft on the opposite side of the room.

Something must have rolled over there when Dazzle dumped that last drawer on the floor to search through it

Sis grabs the part with the intent to put it away and is shocked to find it is exactly what they are looking for.

"Hey @Dazzle , I think I found it!"
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
-1 for Fear Reroll

Conviction: Yes

ISP: 18/20
-1 armor
-1 smite
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (6)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Dazzle Take two of your Bennies back, as Sis got you the success on your second Benny.

You may now roll to repair the technical difficulty, or you may just hold on to the part for later. Up to you.

Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Repair 4
-2 difficulty, +1 field repair kit
Repair 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Evening
Round 0

Dazzle looked at the part the Altaran woman held. “Sis! You found it!” the pink-haired DJ exclaimed. She jumped on Sis and hugged her. “Thanks! I owe you!”

Then Dazzle scampered back to her Glitter Grrl!!! and dug out her field repair kit. She opened up the sensor panel. Two hours later, Dazzle emerged triumphant. “She’s fixed!” she exclaimed. “I think that calls for a party!”

Current Loadout
Party Loot
TW Longsword
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

Billy wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 am Billy leans against a log, apparently asleep already. Hearing @Hedge speak Billy pushes his hat back and looks over. "Yep. That took some skill and guts. Course, staying on your horse is a good idea too. I can give you a few pointers if you want." A slight grin shows the jest in the comment.
"Fair point. Although sometimes it's good for Cyber Knights to come down off their high horse too." Hedge replies good naturedly.
Sis wrote:"I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more worried about [what they were running from. Scaring ghouls and murder wraiths isn't easy. I'm hoping it was just the fire, but we should be careful anyway. @Hedge, your from around here right? Anything you know of that could spook things like that?"
"Soul harvest is an evil place. The complete absence of good. It draws horrid creatures like moths to a flame. Yet, these moths realized that when you get to the flame it burns you. To death." To emphasize his point Hedge flicks his cigarette butt into the campfire kicking up a small shower of sparks.
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3, Conviction 2/2
Squidge

Post by Squidge »

"I don't know what it cost you emotionally to reach into the minds of those things, but thank you. You saved the day."

Squidge was lying back against one of the ATV's tires, her eyes closed but not asleep. She took her sweet time responding though, so it wasn't obvious until she opened her eyes into laconic slits and smiled at Hedge.

"It's not as bad as you might think. You don't have to go deep in to control that sort of creature. They'll attack anything...so you just kind of, direct it."

Then she looked around at the others, still smiling.

"And I dunno if I'd say I saved the day. Y'all could have taken those things. I just helped make sure no one got hurt is all."
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Sis wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:07 pm "I don't know about anyone else, but I'm more worried about [what they were running from. Scaring ghouls and murder wraiths isn't easy. I'm hoping it was just the fire, but we should be careful anyway. Hedge, your from around here right? Anything you know of that could spook things like that?"
About to speak, Castle waits while Hedge responds.
Hedge wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 am "Soul harvest is an evil place. The complete absence of good. It draws horrid creatures like moths to a flame. Yet, these moths realized that when you get to the flame it burns you. To death." To emphasize his point Hedge flicks his cigarette butt into the campfire kicking up a small shower of sparks.
When Hedge finishes, Castles adds his two credits worth.

"Murder Wraiths don't just wander around. They are controlled, just as they were trying to control those ghouls."

"Fire is a very real concern and I for one am glad we could at least avoid it."

"It takes a lot of power and time to create murder wraiths. Nyxla's reach is broadening and many are responding to its call. I would venture an educated guess that some poor necromancer sided with Nyxla and drew too much power. The Wraiths were created just fine but they were more than the necro could handle and thus died at the hands of its creations."

"The ghoul attachment was likely the necro's tests of their power before the Murder Wraith experience. With out the necro to provide control, the Shambling Horde was directed by the Murder Wraiths."

Castle points out back from the direction that they outran the fire and the killing fields, "Out there, if the Necro was lucky is his or her empty husk of mortality."

"I would say it was coincidence that we encountered the wraiths and ghouls at the time that the fire was corraling them."
Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Goswin shakes his head at @White Castle's question about the forest fire, "No, I'm afraid not. The earth and the air, especially, are at my disposal, but I have not yet forged a bond with Fire or Water. I wouldn't usually set fire to the forest anyhow. Fire is as much a part of life as it is death in the wild. New growth has the opportunity to thrive in the aftermath of a wildfire. There are even some species which specifically only take root after a fire! Normally, nature balances itself well enough. Unnatural, or supernatural, growth can be a problem, however, and I would not hesitate to burn out aggressively spreading flora if it were necessary."
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Marksman: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed; or add +1 to first Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll. Character may not move or fire greater than RoF 1.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 0/30; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”