Setting Description and House Rules

GM: Pursuit
The Dark Harvest and adventures in Psyscape and the Magic Zone
Pursuit
Game Master

Setting Description and House Rules

Post by Pursuit »

The Dark Harvest
We will be playing an adventure based on the plot point campaign from the Arcana & Mysticism book, which centers primarily around Psyscape, the Magic Zone, and the conflict with Nyxla. All IF and MARS frameworks are welcome, but please read the game description and house rules carefully:
  • Game Style: Plot Point Campaign
  • HJ Rolls: Standard number of rolls; roll then choose a table, or choose a table then roll (player’s choice); no rerolls for duplicates if you roll and then choose tables.
  • FG Rolls: Standard number of rolls. If you end up with a result you feel doesn’t fit your character concept (such as, by way of example, cyberwear for an AB character) or with a result that would require additional bookkeeping that you don’t want to do (e.g., followers, sidekick, beast master), please shoot me a message on Hangouts or a PM. I will typically allow rerolls in such situations.
  • Adventure Cards: No
  • EP Allowed: Yes
  • Character Restrictions: No evil characters; Hindrances that consistently derail or detract from the campaign are subject to change by the GM without notice.
  • Setting Rules: Standard for Rifts (though I reserve the right to change the gritty damage rule should it become cumbersome), as modified by the house rules, below.
And here are some house rules:

Crit Fail Your Way to the Top
Crit fails are a part of our game, and they should be fun! If you crit fail, describe what happens to your character as a result of your snake eyes. Come up with something cool and we’ll use it in game and you’ll get a Benny to go along with your character's spectacular screw up.

Raises Matter
If you get a raise on your Notice roll (or pretty much any other non-combat roll), feel free to make something up that your character notices or knows. For example, if you are in a radioactive facility and you don’t have full environmental protection on your armor, but you ace the snot out of your Notice roll, go ahead and write in that you see a safety station with a hazmat suit just waiting to be taken. If there is relevant in-game information that I want you to have as a result of your spectacular rolling, I will PM it to you, but otherwise, be creative. Don’t take things too far (“I notice a brand new TX-30 Ion Pulse Rifle with three spare e-clips just lying over there!” probably won’t fly), but have fun when you get raises.

Hindrance: GM (Major)
You guys do a good job playing up your Hindrances, but I can't always keep track of all the Hindrances for all of your charters. If you feel you have played up a Hindrance in a given post, please add an OOC tag with the name of the Hindrance and how it impacted your character's actions. This will help me out when determining how and when to give out extra bennies for good role play.

Leaders Lead
Anyone who takes the Command Edge automatically gains the Natural Leader Edge, too, ignoring requirements. Command Range will work a little differently, too. A leader with the Command Edge may apply any bonuses from his Leadership Edges to Spirit/2 allies as long as they can see/hear him (including by way of radio communications). A leader with the Command Presence Edge may apply his Leadership Edges to Spirit allies. So, a leader with Command Presence and a d8 Spirit can affect 8 allies at once.

Holy Mother Forking Shirt Balls!
We will be aiming for a PG-13 tone in this game. There will be some horror elements (it's Nyxla and a bunch of Soulless Xombies, after all) and certainly plenty of high-flying action and violence, but, for the most part, we are going for posts that wouldn't feel out of place in your favorite summer blockbuster.

Thanks, It's Custom!
Custom limitations and modifiers to powers will be allowed with GM approval. If you are wanting a power to work a particular way, let me know and we will work something out. Custom Edges and Skills may also be used, with GM approval, as may custom gear.

Heroes of Humanity
Human characters may ignore Rank requirements for learning new Edges. They must still meet all other requirements.

Combat Tactics
Initiative for tactical combats will be handled as follows: I will draw Action Cards for all players and NPCs, applying Edges like Quick and Level-Headed as normal. Any player characters who have Action Cards higher than the highest bad guy’s Action Card will go first. The bad guys will then all go on one turn on the bad guys’ high card. Any remaining player characters will go after the bad guys’ post. And while we’re on the topic of tactics, expect your opponents to use some of the more tactical elements of SW combat (cover, suppressing fire, gang ups, etc.), so plan accordingly!

Rolling in Dough!
After character creation (spend your character creation funds normally) we will be using the optional Wealth rules from SWADE with the following modifications:

For items costing less than 100x Wealth Die, no roll is required.

Above that amount, roll per rules up to the maximums below. The GM may apply modifiers to represent scarcity, friendly merchants, etc. or simply deem the item unavailable. After a successful Common Knowledge or Networking roll to find the item, assuming it is in your wealth limit, roll your Wealth die.
  • Critical Failure = Go Broke. Buying the item took everything you had.
  • Failure = Obtain the item but drop 2 die types (minimum of d4)
  • Success = Obtain the item and drop 1 die type
  • Raise = Obtain the item, no change to Wealth die
Wealth Limits
  • d4 - 9,000
  • d6 - 19,000
  • d8 - 49,000
  • d10 - 99,000
  • d12 - 150,000
For items above 150,000 credits, contact the GM directly to work out availability and how to purchase or otherwise obtain it.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Re: Setting Description and House Rules

Post by Pursuit »

Note about characters created using playtest materials: Please update your characters to match the final SWADE TLPG before we begin play. Anyone who rolled on the F&G and/or HJ tables for their characters in the playtest documents may either:
  • Keep all the results you rolled (but update the description of the results to match the final language in the TLPG), or
  • Reroll all results.
Note: Because of the drastic changes to the F&G table, MARS characters may choose to reroll only their F&G rolls or only their HJ rolls instead of rerolling all rolls, should they so choose.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Added a “Combat Tactics” house rule to the original post.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Added wealth rule.

Return to “Tomorrow Legion - 32nd SET”