The (Brief?) Retreat of Winter

Tribe of One

The (Brief?) Retreat of Winter

Post by Tribe of One »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 am “Thurnbarch is dead,” Vesper confirmed. “Lead on. We will aid Fionbharr if we can. We also desire information on the Seat of the Wise.”
Phil's left eyebrow raises at the mention of the Seat, but the korred says little. "That's a question for my lord, then, though I expect he'll be happy to answer a few after all you've done ... if we catch him, that is. Come now, and follow on!"

Without further delay, the bushy-bearded fae hurries away from the ruins and into the woods, where the unnatural cold is in full retreat as melting snow slides off the trees above to the steaming ground.
cfd8aef11c4ad76bead285c4b8ab5fd3.jpg
A light dusting remains on the branches framing the toran, but your breath seems to be enough to dispel it as you approach. Mumbling a few words in the wildwood speech, Phil opens the portal and leads the way through to an eldritch path lined with red-leaved trees resplendent in crimson foliage.

As you walk, the path seems to expand and contract, the air throbbing with the rhythm of a strengthening heartbeat. Far off, through the impenetrable woods, you think you hear the sounds of sylvan armies on the march.
f37ec0a29030aab623ff1f64277a16dc.jpg
Hours or perhaps just seconds later, you duck beneath a hanging branch and find yourselves once again outside the court of the Autumn King. As before, you can make out a bonfire-lit clearing past the twin oaks that form the entrance, but the font of water and the ebony vase are gone. In their place, a pair of elf-knights stand silently, covered head to toe in armor carved from silverwood and and cloaked with capes of autumn leaves.

The warriors move aside as you approach. Phil, huffing and puffing, motions you on.

"He'll have known when we entered the realm," he says. "You're expected, but don't keep him waiting."

Passing into the vast clearing that is the Autumn Lord's court, you hear movement in the unseen reaches, as if the surrounding forest was girding itself for war.
hero-1578250513812-5072(1).jpg
You spot Fionnbharr, who from a distance appears as a primal fae warrior, armored in thorns with a soaring crown of stag horns ... in the blink of an eye, he stands before you, once again adopting the stern guise of an elf-lord.

"You have succeeded," he says, stating it as fact. "For the ice to retreat, Thurnbarch must be dead, and the Cold Woman free. Now I must prepare for war, to try to push back the White King as best I can. Any victory won will be fleeting, but perhaps I can buy the time for my cousin's advance when the deep frost begins to thaw in spring."

The fae lord looks over the bruised and battered group curiously, as if seeing some new quality among them.

"To be true, you have surprised me. Few mortals have journeyed into the Weald like this and emerged whole ... let alone defeated a foe as bloody as my former champion. You have my thanks. As for your relative's trespasses, consider the slate washed clean. As well, I would give you a boon."
Autumn King.jpg
Fionnbharr moves to a basin of carved alabaster, nearly concealed in a twisting tangle of roses. Pricking his finger on one of the thorns, he squeezes a single drop of blood into the water filling the basin.

"Drink, each of you, and when you are done fill your waterskins with the rest. Return to your village and sprinkle it on your fields, and they will yield one more harvest before autumn's end."

The Autumn King's Favor
Drinking the water grants your character a touch of fae power. Choose one of the following:
  • Increase Agility or Spirit by one die-type
  • Gain the Power Points edge, even if you've taken it this rank, or New Powers (any Power appropriate to the fae)
  • Gain one of the following Edges: Champion, Charismatic, Fleet-Footed or Luck

"As for the questions forming on your lips -- Where is your lost kinsman and how can you reach him? -- I offer my aid, and an answer, though it is one you will not like."

"The Weald hides many dark and shadowed places, and other holes that are no place at all. Your Cormac is trapped within one such hollow, a place of ghosts and ancient detritus it is better not to name. He journeyed there from the Seat of the Wise, an ancient circle deep within the Elder Green from which many paths diverge ... but you cannot follow. At least not now. The doorway your kinsman found opens only on the autumn equinox, a fortnight past. For now, return to your homes and mortal concerns. I will take the field against my enemy. Return when a year has near passed and my servant will show you the way."

The Autumn King appears impatient to conclude your meeting, but will entertain further questions before Phil appears to return you to your village.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Layna

Re: The (Brief?) Retreat of Winter

Post by Layna »

Never one to turn down a reward, Layna limps to the fountain and drinks heartily,
Spirit boost!
. She fills her waterskin and takes a step back. As her comrades take their turns, she spends time idly watching their surroundings and checking for any other valuables.

Notice 9, if Needed
Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[1] = 8 +2 for Alertness
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 8(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
Vespernys du Lac

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Evening
Weather: Warming
Round 0

Vespernys follows Phill with the others, returning to the Autumn King. She gives proper obeisance to the fae lord in his court and listens with consternation to the fact that it will take a year to find her uncle. She glanced over to her Aunt Aurora. “We will return next autumn,” she promised.

Vesper walked over to the blessed pool. She emptied her waterskin and refilled it. Such a blessing would bring much relief to her village. Then she cupped her hands in the cool, fresh water to drink. She closed her eyes, feeling her confidence swell. The life of court held no allure for her, preferring the wilds of the Weald or the adrenaline of the combat yard, but she now knew it was something she could do -- should do -- and no longer leave her responsibilities to her fickle mother until her father returned.

There was one other fear that lingered in her mind, however. Soon she would have to marry and give up this adventuring life to provide heirs to the family’s seat of power. A proper husband of appropriate rank would be found for her, and she dreaded that unknown.

Keeping her inner conflict to herself, Vesper turned to smile at the others. “Let us return home, friends,” she said.
Fae blessing
Took Spirit d10
Move:
Action:
NPCs and clues
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King Fionbharr.
Seat of the Wise - where Cormac might have disappeared. Fionbharr knows where it is.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 27
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Fae Blessings as they were and would be, Gamil stares at the pool with questions and concerns.

@Tribe of One

"Lord Fionnbharr, excuse my decline of your blessing. Such blessings have been known in the past to bind the unknowing."

"I would ask what we are to trade for these gifts or have they been already paid for?"

"Again, I mean no offense."
Halt

Post by Halt »

Gamil wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:09 am Fae Blessings as they were and would be, Gamil stares at the pool with questions and concerns.

@Tribe of One

"Lord Fionnbharr, excuse my decline of your blessing. Such blessings have been known in the past to bind the unknowing."

"I would ask what we are to trade for these gifts or have they been already paid for?"

"Sense from the mouth of Gamil. Wasn't sure I'd ever see the day. Then again, I supposed if you wanted us dead or bound, it wouldn't be too hard for you, would it?" and with a visible struggle, Halt adds "my Lord."

Without another word, and honestly before he could think too much about it, Halt steps forward and
Spirit Boosts All around!
. Upon finishing, he quick fills his water skin.

Returning to the line Halt sees the frustration on Vesper's face.

"Sorry about your Uncle." he says in a low voice, sounding (even to his own surprise) sincere "If you want to go after him in a years time, let me know. Who knows? That cold woman said time passes differently there. Maybe it hasn't been that long for him. Until then... Well its probably best we have to wait. The village is going to need you. The early winter may have abated but the damage is done. The villagers are going to need strong leadership in the winter to come, and we both know that's not your mother. Halt snorts, his usual abrasive demeaner returning. "And most of 'em are clearly too stupid to listen to me most of the time. And I'm not nearly stupid enough to think that's entirely a bad thing"

Speaking up so everyone can hear he says "Well, back to the village then?"
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 3/ 3

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and Stealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:09 am"Lord Fionnbharr, excuse my decline of your blessing. Such blessings have been known in the past to bind the unknowing."

"There is no binding -- merely a boon in recognition of services rendered. Refuse it if you wish.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

"Thank you for clarifying."

"I am grateful to receive such a boon, Lord Fionnbharr."

"May your efforts in the forth coming battle, be enough to allow your brother his time to reclaim the fragile balance of nature."

Gamil bows and rejoins his friends.

Looking into the pool, he stares for a time. Gamil reaches his right hand into the pool and pulls forth a silvery shifting substance.

The substance moves across his palms and down his wrists and then solidifies into a pool of liquid silver on his stone bracers.

Gamil thinks for a moment and looks to to his feet. Picking the substance up again it flows across his fingers and palm. He gazes again at his boots where there are carved runes and dragon wings. Reaching down to these carvings he drips the liquid silver into the cracks and crevices. The leather absorbs the silver substance and there is enough to fill the carvings on each boot and Gamil, smiles pleased with outcome [Gained Fleet-Footed Edge].
Vespernys du Lac

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Evening
Weather: Warming
Round 0

Vespernys gave Halt a grateful smile. “Thank you, my friend,” she said, standing close to him, like those days a year ago when he was teaching her the bow and the woods, perhaps too intimately for her status as a noblewoman and his as a man betrothed to another. “Waiting is what we must do, since the door is not open. But I will call on you,” she promised, wondering what things would change in a year. “And our people will need me,” she allowed. Her mother could handle the social necessities of her rank -- throwing parties, receiving guests -- but the actual stress of ruling and responsibility sent her to the sick bed. She would need a strong right hand in these times, and absent a husband or son, that left the duty to Vesper.

Vesper straightened and looked to the others. “Are we ready? To home, then!” she said brightly, feigning cheerfulness, for now, one skill she had mastered in her noble education through interminable balls and state banquets.

Move:
Action:
NPCs and clues
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King Fionbharr.
Seat of the Wise - where Cormac might have disappeared. Fionbharr knows where it is.
Unclaimed Party Loot
Pouch filled with silver coins, each stamped with the twin-headed bull of the Free City of Argos. (Halt or Vesper)
Wizard’s spellbook in cipher: A Discovery Point must be spent to decipher the code. Once that's done, the book is found to contain four spells (one of Veteran or Heroic rank, the rest Seasoned or below) that can be cast as rituals.
A delicate silver bell: Twice a day, the bell can be rung and placed on a dish or serving tray, which must be covered with a lid or napkin. When the covering is removed, the plate will be filled with enough delicious food to serve two people.
Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Sword: Smite (lightning), lingering damage; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 27
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Marksman: If she doesn’t move in a turn and fires no more than a Rate of Fire of 1 as her first action, she may add +1 to an Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Range, Scale, or Speed. This is a lesser version of the Aim maneuver and does not stack with it. Marksman doesn’t apply to additional attacks after the first.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle smiles gratefully as the Dwarf asks the question that had been on her own lips, and dips her head in sincere gratitude at the subsequent answer.

When her turn comes, she steps forward, and sips from the Fae-draught, feeling a surge of warm power pass through her body before settling into a warm flush that
Free, extraneous Power Points Edge, baby!
. When she looks up, her eyes seem to dance at the pleasure of it.

She struggles to conceal a small frown when Vesper vows to return in a year's time to hunt for her Uncle Cormac. A noble's place is leading the town, not risking her neck on dangerous quests. Well, there's a year to try to explain this to her, at least....

Later, as they walk home, she addresses the group. "When we get back, please, my friends--let me do the sprinkling of the water on the crops. I would prefer that none of you become suspect of being Fae-stroked, as it would make your own duties more difficult to perform." The Tender gives a rueful smirk. "The villagers will expect strange behavior from me, even if I had not been overnight in the Weald."
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Aurora nods at Vesper. "Yes, I wish we could sooner now that I am freed but I must be grateful for my own blessings and not dwell on my frustrations. It is also well past time for me to return home and make everyone aware that I am not dead." She pauses and looks at the Fae Lord. "Even me, my Lord?" She isn't certain she has earned the boon and thus does not take it immediately.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 1/3
POWER POINTS: 2/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Aurora wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:44 am"Even me, my Lord?" She isn't certain she has earned the boon and thus does not take it immediately.
The fae lord arches an eyebrow, and you can see him performing a quick count of your group.

"Did you not leave with the same number as have returned? I assumed that any not present now were slain. If others have been recruited to your cause, and helped to vanquish the turncoat, they are welcome to partake in the spoils."
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

"Well, I did participate in the battle against him." Whether or not she was effective is another story. But she isn't going to mention that. She nods. "Thank you, my Lord." She drinks of the well and closes her eyes as she feels the rush of warmth through her, as if she swallowed holy light itself. A smile spreads on her lips at the feeling and she savors it for a moment before opening her eyes again. She looks at the group and seeing others do as much fills her water skin from it.

Boon: Power Points taken
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d6, Vigor d8

PACE: 6/d6; PARRY: ; TOUGHNESS: 6

SKILLS:
Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d4, Notice d8 -- +2 when looking for clues, Persuasion d4, Stealth d6, Occult d6, Research d6 +2, Faith d10, Fighting d6, Riding d6, Thievery d6

BENNIES: 1/3
POWER POINTS: 2/15
POWERS: Arcane Protection, Bolt, Boost/Lower Trait, Entangle, Speak Language
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

"Thank ye m'Lord." Kaya says, bowing as she does so. "Like my fellows, I am grateful for the reward that ye have seen fit to render."

Like the others, Kaya steps forth and drinks from the basin. As she drank she felt a righteousness grow inside of her, giving her a boost to her confidence the next time she faced the forces of darkness.
Champion

"Yes, let's return home." She calls to the others.

Return to “Adventures”