Discovery Points/Item Workshop

Grimm Fantasy in Savage Wilds
GM: Tribe of One
Tribe of One

Discovery Points/Item Workshop

Post by Tribe of One »

Post here when you want to spend a Discovery Point/Conviction to activate an item.

Discovery Points

In-game, your characters will be able to amass Discovery Points, which you'll acquire by Unearthing Secrets and Resolving Mysteries. So, finding the lost village of Urtwell in the eastern reaches of the Weald might earn a point; recovering the journal of the Crusader-Knight Taglyn, which lays out the eventual fate of the village garrison, might earn another. Finding Taglyn's missing sword, which the journal mentions was lost in the Hagmere, could earn a point, while returning it to his heir in a distant village could do the same.

You'll be able to use Discovery Points in a few ways: At any time, a PC can expend a Discovery Point to gain Conviction. (You'll also be able to earn Conviction through Tragedy/failure, as outlined in the core rules, but Discoveries will replace the option of gaining Conviction through Triumph).

You'll also be able to spend Discovery Points as a group to purchase an advance (for everyone) during the downtime that occurs between adventures. I'm planning to include some narrative passage of time -- a season, or even a year -- between adventure arcs. I've got a table I'm working on that could help determine what happens to your characters in that time. If the group decides to expend enough Discovery Points (I'm thinking 5 or so, to start) you'll all gain an advance during the downtime, as well (which would be in addition to the advance you'll get at the end of each quarter).

Finally, you'll use Conviction (earned via Tragedy or through Discoveries) to "reveal" the power of magic items. While I may occasionally hand out items with already-discovered powers -- a mace that glows like a torch, or a jar that fills with restorative honey under a full moon -- most start out as mysteries. You'll activate them, discovering an ability, by spending Conviction at an narratively appropriate time. So, say your character finds a fire-blackened spear carved with ancient sigils in a faery grove. Later, while fighting an ogre (and faring poorly), you decide to "activate" the spear, spending your Conviction. Based on the circumstances, you and I decide it's particularly deadly to giants and their kin: It gets a +1 to hit and the Giant-Killer Edge. Or maybe you're beset by nighthaunts, and you spend Conviction and discover that the shield you found in the church catacombs can emit a sunlight-trapped damage field. Maybe being bathed in the blood of two score goblins rekindles the power of an ancient blade, or perhaps you just have enough downtime to figure out that pointing the bone wand and saying skippy causes it to shoot lightning.

Special starting items you gained from your playbooks can be handled this way (beyond any minor abilities we've talked about, like being exceptionally light or counting as a magic weapon,etc.) and I'll probably set a limit of no more than two "reveals" per item. But I'll make a point of including lots of strange and intriguing items for you to claim and potentially turn into implements of power.

In general, spending a point will generally let you add abilities to the item roughly equivalent to Major + a Minor. So, the ability to use a Power, with enough PP to activate it; a +1 to hit and an Edge, like First Strike, on a weapon; or an amulet that gives Arcane Resistance and causes fey to quail in fear (+2 Intimidate, but only against faery-kin).

If you have an idea, post it here and we can work out the mechanical details.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Layna

Re: Discovery Points/Item Workshop

Post by Layna »

Neat!

Layna had that idol she picked up from that temple in her backstory. What would make sense for something like that? Maybe divination and some PP to cast it? Or Arcane Resistance and +1 to Spirit rolls? I’m open to suggestion, here.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 8(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

I has a few Runestones.

One idea was to embed one into his current chestplate, Gadgeteer Edge and +2 to Armor.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Is there a way to work it out so that the staff Neil got from his playbook allows him to occasionally (whatever seems fair works for me) create a real effect from his illusions?
Neil Smith
Neil Smith, Self-Taught Mage
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2; PPE: 8/10
Bennies: 1/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Lelya Spriggin’s father sword gained from her playbook.
A simple sword, made out of steel seemingly new as if the day it was forged. The only thing remarkable about it is that a series of small red and yellow rubies adorn its pommel just below the grip. She has seen her father chop wood with it, slay wolves, and once when he thought she was asleep fight his own shadow with it.

I was thinking maybe fighting ethereal, extra damage vs wolves... I think her father got it from a tomb of ancient kings so possibilities are endless.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Layna wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:10 pm Neat!

Layna had that idol she picked up from that temple in her backstory. What would make sense for something like that? Maybe divination and some PP to cast it? Or Arcane Resistance and +1 to Spirit rolls? I’m open to suggestion, here.
Divination +5 PP that recharge over the course of 24 hours is perfect. Come up with some additional trapping/limitation -- needs to be anointed with blood, only works under moonlight, requires a Spirit or Vigor check to avoid Fatigue, etc. -- and you're good to go.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:25 pm I has a few Runestones.

One idea was to embed one into his current chestplate, Gadgeteer Edge and +2 to Armor.
Embedding abilities into items with runestones works fine, but for the Gadgeteer Edge, it seems like it ought to be an item you use to carve runes, since you'd be using it to create temporary enchantments. Maybe your rod?
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Neil wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:01 pm Is there a way to work it out so that the staff Neil got from his playbook allows him to occasionally (whatever seems fair works for me) create a real effect from his illusions?
That's potentially pretty powerful -- especially if it lets you basically emulate other powers. What if it cost a Benny to activate? So, you'd have something like:

By spending a Benny, the wielder of the staff may:
  • Make minor illusions real, including conjuring small animals or generic items of nominal value;
  • Emulate another Power, as if gaining the one-time use of the Gadgeteer Edge;
  • Produce more powerful effects at the GM's discretion, with corresponding physical or mental costs (ie. Wounds or Fatigue).
I think that's in the neighborhood.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm Lelya Spriggin’s father sword gained from her playbook.
A simple sword, made out of steel seemingly new as if the day it was forged. The only thing remarkable about it is that a series of small red and yellow rubies adorn its pommel just below the grip. She has seen her father chop wood with it, slay wolves, and once when he thought she was asleep fight his own shadow with it.

I was thinking maybe fighting ethereal, extra damage vs wolves... I think her father got it from a tomb of ancient kings so possibilities are endless.
What about +1 Fighting and you gain the benefit of the Champion Edge against foes that are under the influence of magic?
Layna

Post by Layna »

Tribe of One wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 am
Divination +5 PP that recharge over the course of 24 hours is perfect. Come up with some additional trapping/limitation -- needs to be anointed with blood, only works under moonlight, requires a Spirit or Vigor check to avoid Fatigue, etc. -- and you're good to go.
What if, in order to get the idol to answer a question, you have to first tell it a secret?
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 8(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Layna wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:50 am
Tribe of One wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 am
What if, in order to get the idol to answer a question, you have to first tell it a secret?
Perfect!
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Halt picked up a statue of a falcon with spread wings. Was hoping to activate this and get beastmaster from it (with a falcon as the companion) and then something else. Not sure what the something else would be.

Also, the yew branch he picked up as part of his backstory.... Would definitely like to get that made into a longbow with the trademark weapon edge. Once again, not sure what minor to grant it. +1 shooting is obvious, but kinda boring...
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

John Smith wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:36 pm Halt picked up a statue of a falcon with spread wings. Was hoping to activate this and get beastmaster from it (with a falcon as the companion) and then something else. Not sure what the something else would be.

Also, the yew branch he picked up as part of his backstory.... Would definitely like to get that made into a longbow with the trademark weapon edge. Once again, not sure what minor to grant it. +1 shooting is obvious, but kinda boring...
The minor for the falcon statue could be for the falcon -- a bonus to Notice or +2 Armor or something.

For the bow, a minor might be something like a lightning trapping, or reduces range penalties by one increment, or maybe it lets him hear every leaf-fall and broken twig (+2 to sound-based Notice), etc.
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Great ideas! I didn't even think about getting a bonus for the falcon. I did consider the notice bonus to a connection to the Forrest. I'll make a decision when. The opportunity comes to activate. Definitely doing the falcon totem first
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

I am inclined to add a power to the Mask of Vecna. Go with Speak Languages. If it fits as something that Gamil would know then he unlocks that power while tinkering with the mask.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:10 pm I am inclined to add a power to the Mask of Vecna. Go with Speak Languages. If it fits as something that Gamil would know then he unlocks that power while tinkering with the mask.
Sure, that works.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:32 am
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm Lelya Spriggin’s father sword gained from her playbook.

What about +1 Fighting and you gain the benefit of the Champion Edge against foes that are under the influence of magic?
Sounds good
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Yeah, struggling to think of something here.
Vespernys du Lac

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

I think the chainmail Vesper found in the dungeon's beneath the family castle should be magical. I was thinking minor +2 Armor. Major I am not sure on. I would like Extraction, but not sure it's appropriate for Armor. My other idea was to make it actually magical with the Deflection power. How would she cast that? With Spirit?
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Kaya wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:15 am Yeah, struggling to think of something here.
There's no rush. You can always spend Discovery Points to "reveal" a power on the fly when a need becomes apparent.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:47 am I think the chainmail Vesper found in the dungeon's beneath the family castle should be magical. I was thinking minor +2 Armor. Major I am not sure on. I would like Extraction, but not sure it's appropriate for Armor. My other idea was to make it actually magical with the Deflection power. How would she cast that? With Spirit?
I could see Extraction working. Ensorceled to protect you as you withdraw. Although, doesn't that mail say something about how it has a small hole in the back? Maybe have a limitation that none of its abilities apply against someone who has The Drop on you. That would help offset how powerful +2 Armor is in medieval SWADE, vs. Rifts.

With Deflection or another power, yes, you'd activate with Spirit.
Vespernys du Lac

Yes, it does have that small hole in the back. That could be a good limitation. I think I might go with Deflection. It has a more "magic" feel than just Extraction. Deflection is also probably not up if someone has the Drop, as well LOL

Being that it is unusually light and concealable, could it be mithral elven chain mail?

Mithral Elven Chainmail
A mail shirt thin enough to be hidden beneath a tunic, but with a small hole in the back. Created of mithral by the elves of old, this shirt once belonged to Fleur du Lac, the eldest daughter of the du Lac family that conquered and settled the area and built the ancestral castle. Fleur was known as a renowned archer, and challenged the elven prince to an archer contest and defeated him. The armor was a gift and reward from the elven prince. The pair developed a forbidden romance between elf and human, but it was not to be, as a spurned human lover, disgusted by the idea of elf and human offspring, put an arrow in Fleur's back on the day of the wedding ceremony.
Minor: +2 Armor
Major: Deflection power (activated by Spirit)
Limit: None of the abilities work against The Drop.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 pm Yes, it does have that small hole in the back. That could be a good limitation. I think I might go with Deflection. It has a more "magic" feel than just Extraction. Deflection is also probably not up if someone has the Drop, as well LOL
If you go with the Deflection power, you wouldn't also be able to pick up the +2 Armor, since you'd be using the Minor for the Power Points needed to actually use Deflection. Otherwise looks good.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I've got an idea for a Major Mod.

My notion is that Jaenelle's Runesword is effective against supernatural creatures. Essentially, it would be like Wizard, but for the sword. 1 PPE for 5 rounds of the sword counting for a creature's Vulnerability or Weakness. However, unlike Smite, it has no effect on mundane creatures, and doesn't actually increase the damage of the weapon, beyond supernatural Weaknesses. It might be best if it requires an Occult roll or use of Detect Arcana to ID the creature's weakness, first, if it's one we're not familiar with.

Is this reasonable?
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Vespernys du Lac

Tribe of One wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 am If you go with the Deflection power, you wouldn't also be able to pick up the +2 Armor, since you'd be using the Minor for the Power Points needed to actually use Deflection. Otherwise looks good.
Ah, okay. Got it. Major: Deflection and Minor: 5 PP. That works for me, and it avoids the too high Armor. Would we need the vulnerability then, since she won't get any benefit on the Drop, anyway?
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Tribe of One wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 am If you go with the Deflection power, you wouldn't also be able to pick up the +2 Armor, since you'd be using the Minor for the Power Points needed to actually use Deflection. Otherwise looks good.
Ah, okay. Got it. Major: Deflection and Minor: 5 PP. That works for me, and it avoids the too high Armor. Would we need the vulnerability then, since she won't get any benefit on the Drop, anyway?
Yeah, no Drop vulnerability.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Freemage wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm I've got an idea for a Major Mod.

My notion is that Jaenelle's Runesword is effective against supernatural creatures. Essentially, it would be like Wizard, but for the sword. 1 PPE for 5 rounds of the sword counting for a creature's Vulnerability or Weakness. However, unlike Smite, it has no effect on mundane creatures, and doesn't actually increase the damage of the weapon, beyond supernatural Weaknesses. It might be best if it requires an Occult roll or use of Detect Arcana to ID the creature's weakness, first, if it's one we're not familiar with.

Is this reasonable?
I don't think we need to bother with PP. How about this:

Antithetical Blade
As an action, the wielder of this weapon may specify a foe in view and make an Occult skill check. On a success, damaging attacks from the weapon ignore any Immunity, Invulnerability or Regeneration the target might have. On a raise, the wielder may choose to inflict +1 damage on attacks or have the weapon count as a specific material or energy type that targets one of the foe's Weaknesses. The wielder gains a +2 bonus on the Occult skill check if she previously struck the target creature in combat or sprinkled the blade with its blood.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Tribe of One wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 pm
Freemage wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm I've got an idea for a Major Mod.

Is this reasonable?
I don't think we need to bother with PP. How about this:

Antithetical Blade
As an action, the wielder of this weapon may specify a foe in view and make an Occult skill check. On a success, damaging attacks from the weapon ignore any Immunity, Invulnerability or Regeneration the target might have. On a raise, the wielder may choose to inflict +1 damage on attacks or have the weapon count as a specific material or energy type that targets one of the foe's Weaknesses. The wielder gains a +2 bonus on the Occult skill check if she previously struck the target creature in combat or sprinkled the blade with its blood.
Love it. Couple questions (I'm good with any answer; just want to know what to expect):

1: Does the effect last for a whole encounter? Set number of rounds?
2: If we're facing multiple creatures of a particular 'type' in the same scene (say, a pair of werewolves, or a horde of redcaps), does the Antithetical Blade effect kick in against all of them, or is specific to only one particular creature on the field?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

1: I'd say the whole encounter, or until you switch it to something else
2: I think it would apply to the same type, so all werewolves, all redcaps, etc., but only one type at a time. So, if you're fighting some werewolves and a vampire busts in, you'd have to spend another action and make a check to "re-attune" the blade to the new foe, and it wouldn't work on the werewolves until you switched back (although you'd have the +2 to your check since you previously attacked them).
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

So, here's the final submission:

Runesword (first upgrade): Short Sword, Str+d6 damage
Minor: +2 Parry vs. foes targeted with Antithetical Blade ability
Major: Antithetical Blade:
As an action, the wielder of this weapon may specify a foe in view and make an Occult skill check. On a success, damaging attacks from the weapon ignore any Immunity, Invulnerability or Regeneration the target (or other foes of the same type) might have. On a raise, the wielder may choose to inflict +1 damage on attacks or have the weapon count as a specific material or energy type that targets one of the foe's Weaknesses. The wielder gains a +2 bonus on the Occult skill check if she previously struck the target creature in combat or sprinkled the blade with its blood. This effect lasts for the duration of the Encounter, unless the wielder switches targets (it can only have one Antithesis at a time).
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Vespernys du Lac

I think I want to use my discovery point to awaken magic in Vesper's longsword, even though that's not my primary weapon. Nothing has happened to make it reasonable for her bow to suddenly be magic, but I narratively said the sword was an old family heirloom. Just not sure what to have it do.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:54 am I think I want to use my discovery point to awaken magic in Vesper's longsword, even though that's not my primary weapon. Nothing has happened to make it reasonable for her bow to suddenly be magic, but I narratively said the sword was an old family heirloom. Just not sure what to have it do.
How about Smite with the Lingering Damage modifier. Succesful hit, the wound continues to fester and deal damage.

Or maybe the Bolt power, Touch Only Modifier, Lingering Damage Modifier, trapped as poison.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

I would like to use a discovery point to awaken the Boost/ Lower Trait Power in Gamil's Hand's of Vecna.
Vespernys du Lac

I like the lightning idea.

Sword of House du Lac
Ancestral longsword of Vespernys du Lac and her family.
Major: Smite (Lightning), Lingering Damage
Minor: 5 PP
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:24 pm I would like to use a discovery point to awaken the Boost/ Lower Trait Power in Gamil's Hand's of Vecna.
That would be fine. It would have the power + 5 PP.
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am I like the lightning idea.

Sword of House du Lac
Ancestral longsword of Vespernys du Lac and her family.
Major: Smite (Lightning), Lingering Damage
Minor: 5 PP
That works, too.
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

@Tribe of One I'd like to use a discovery point to discover the Sound/Silence power in the Ram's horn bound in silver and red chord.

So sound/Silence with +5pp as the modifier.

As a point of note, I would roll spirit when activating this?
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

John Smith wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:34 am @Tribe of One I'd like to use a discovery point to discover the Sound/Silence power in the Ram's horn bound in silver and red chord.

So sound/Silence with +5pp as the modifier.

As a point of note, I would roll spirit when activating this?
Yep, that all works.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Spending a Discovery point to actually activate the Antithetical Blade power on the runesword, as discussed above, prior to going into the cellar.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Return to “Beyond the Wall”