Pre Adventure Part 1: The Warmup (Rena Brooks)

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Pre Adventure Part 1: The Warmup (Rena Brooks)

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Weeks before the fateful call from Pender lumpkiss you were all separately called Into office room 3A within the Stone Halls of Castle Refuge on the lowest level. Given that no one had ever summoned you anywhere because they might have distrusted you, thought little of your abilities, or never thought you were destined for more it was a rather abrupt surprise to receive an official summons.

A dwarf with fiery red hair, a sunny smile, and a warrior's heft to her broad shoulders stands before you. This is Dhara Hammerheart, one of the leaders of the Tomorrow Legion. Her short arms and hands are balanced on a wooden desk. She motions for you to sit in the single worn chair opposite her. “Greetings, Legionnaire, Brooks. I hear you recovered nicely after that last accident.” An operator without a vehicle was almost unheard of. Your last vehicle was a beauty. But damn if it was not slagged metal now. Most of the folks at the motor pool looked at you like you were a black sheep. She hands you what looks like a flyer advertising some sort of sporting event. “Something is going on out near Kingsdale; a Juicer sports competition called a murderthon, and they've specifically invited a representative of the Tomorrow Legion to attend.” Dhara's expression is thoughtful. “Juicer sports in general are bloody, savage competitions and nothing we truly want to be involved in. However, I hear this particular murderthon is going to be more restrained.” Dhara laughs. “I have my doubts, but the fact remains that this an unprecedented opportunity for the legion to reach out and build relationships with nearby realms. Kingsdale is a very prosperous and influential city-state. We need a closer relationship with them. This region has a history with Juicers ever since the Juicer Uprising.” The dwarf nods towards you. ”Therefore, I am requesting that you attend the murderthon. If I can I will make the request to others within these castle walls. So far I have yet to find any takers. If you agree keep your eyes open and remember you represent all of us. Go show them who we are.”She paused and slid a paper form towards you across the desk. A pen rolled after it. A simple Legionnaire contract for field duty. A quick glance at it beyond the standard legalize was that the job paid 10,000 credits, and an experience of a life time. With some amount of gravitas she solemnly says, “I know you might have had other plans for this afternoon and week, but what say you?”

Please post a response and ask any questions. For this particular part it is just you and her. Feel free to roll any skills you think would apply and I’ll toss in a response.

+1 Benny if you tell a story, perhaps some kind of flashback, about what you were up to prior to receiving the summons.

Story moves on in two weeks.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Rena Brooks

Re: Pre Adventure Part 1: The Warmup (Rena Brooks)

Post by Rena Brooks »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 am A dwarf with fiery red hair, a sunny smile, and a warrior's heft to her broad shoulders stands before you. This is Dhara Hammerheart, one of the leaders of the Tomorrow Legion. Her short arms and hands are balanced on a wooden desk. She motions for you to sit in the single worn chair opposite her. “Greetings, Legionnaire, Brooks. I hear you recovered nicely after that last accident.” An operator without a vehicle was almost unheard of. Your last vehicle was a beauty. But damn if it was not slagged metal now. Most of the folks at the motor pool looked at you like you were a black sheep.
A slight frown appeared on Rena's face as she remembered the incident. The hovercycle wasn't new, but it was polished to a fine finish. It purred like a kitten and its fresh coating of paint had gleamed in the sun. It wasn't exactly hers, but Rena put in all the work on restoring it and arming it. Most of the folks of the legion weren't crazy enough to put that thing through its paces, but Rena knew she could master it.

The 'cycle was never assigned to any groups, so Rena honed her skills with it. Shooting, reaction time, sensor reading, and anything else that might be useful on a mission were part of her training. She was confident that she was ready to take it up a notch. Top speed maneuvers and tricks were what could make or break a 'cycle pilot.

Rena dreamed of perfect 180 roundabouts, barrel rolls, and more. The truth is, she wasn't good enough. Making a hairpin turn while maxing out the speedometer on a hovercycle while maneuvering through a forest is next to impossible even for a Quick-Flex. Rena knew she could do it, but she was lying to herself and her beautiful 'cycle was reduced to a burning pile of slag the first time she attempted it.

That was the day Rena dumped her savings into the Core Electronics Package and a Vehicle Interface cyberware. Not being good enough was not an option. Cyberware goes against everything it means to be a Psionic, excluding those moe weirdo's, but Rena knew it was what she had to do. She had only recently recovered from the surgury and its shock on her psionic powers.
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:42 am She hands you what looks like a flyer advertising some sort of sporting event. “Something is going on out near Kingsdale; a Juicer sports competition called a murderthon, and they've specifically invited a representative of the Tomorrow Legion to attend.” Dhara's expression is thoughtful. “Juicer sports in general are bloody, savage competitions and nothing we truly want to be involved in. However, I hear this particular murderthon is going to be more restrained.” Dhara laughs. “I have my doubts, but the fact remains that this an unprecedented opportunity for the legion to reach out and build relationships with nearby realms. Kingsdale is a very prosperous and influential city-state. We need a closer relationship with them. This region has a history with Juicers ever since the Juicer Uprising.” The dwarf nods towards you. ”Therefore, I am requesting that you attend the murderthon. If I can I will make the request to others within these castle walls. So far I have yet to find any takers. If you agree keep your eyes open and remember you represent all of us. Go show them who we are.”She paused and slid a paper form towards you across the desk. A pen rolled after it. A simple Legionnaire contract for field duty. A quick glance at it beyond the standard legalize was that the job paid 10,000 credits, and an experience of a life time. With some amount of gravitas she solemnly says, “I know you might have had other plans for this afternoon and week, but what say you?”
Common Knowledge 6
Common Knowledge check to see if Rena knows more about the Murderthon and what kind of events she could hope to win or compete in effectively. (Note: As a player, I have never read Murderthon nor even the elevator pitch so I am 100% in the dark here [which I have no problems with]).

CK: [dice:3r7tp4z0]59767:0[/dice:3r7tp4z0] (+2 CEP)
Wild: [dice:3r7tp4z0]59767:1[/dice:3r7tp4z0]
"Ma'am," Rena answers, "You need someone on a 'cycle to show those juicer boys how to ride? I'm your woman. I'll drive circles around those Juicer boys! Even those Phaeton types. If you're sending a full team, I can even double as a wrench jockey. There's not a piece of tech I cant repair. Hell, anything I fix works better than before it was broken!"

Rena stops to think a second. 'Shit. I wrecked our best 'cycle. I won't be doing much riding without one.'

Persuasion 7
Persuasion to try to get a 'cycle, preferably with a weapon's system, for the mission.

Persuasion: [dice:3r7tp4z0]59767:2[/dice:3r7tp4z0]
Wild: [dice:3r7tp4z0]59767:3[/dice:3r7tp4z0]
Rena flashes her warmest smile at Dhara and says, "We're trying to show off for these juicer boys, yeah? Impress them and let them know we would make worthy allies? I can do that. I'll have them begging to let me show them how to ride a 'cycle proper. I'll need a well-oiled machine to do it, though. Even the best rider can only coax so much performance from a junker. I need a real beauty to do the Legion proud, ma'am. Maybe even a weapons system or two to really get those juicer boys respecting us."
Rena Brooks, Quick-Flex Psi-Operator
Pace: 8(d8); Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(3); Strain: -1 Psionics
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Ace, Combat: Ignore -2 in penalties to Boating/Driving/Piloting; Soak for any controlled vehicle using appropriate maneuvering skill instead of Vigor. Ignore MAP for Boating/Driving/Piloting check + another action in the same round.
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore Off-hand penalty; Parry bonuses stack.
  • Born to Ride: When controlling a Size (Normal) vehicle with Exposed Crew, it gains the Nimble ability—or Uncanny Reflexes if it already has Nimble—and make a free reroll on checks to avoid going Out of Control.
    • Live to Ride: When controlling a Size (Normal) vehicle with Exposed Crew, it gains the Nimble ability—or Uncanny Reflexes if it already has Nimble—and make a free reroll on checks to avoid going Out of Control.
  • Gadgeteer: A Gadgeteer can spend up to three ISP to “jury rig” a device from most any reasonable collection of spare parts. This allows her to use any power normally available to Psionics of her Rank or lower in her particular setting, with an ISP cost of 3 or lower.
    The total cost of the power (plus any modifiers) cannot exceed the points spent to create it, but she may create multiple devices as long as she has the points to do so.
    This takes one entire turn, during which she can do nothing else but make a Psionics roll at −2 (she cannot take Multi-Actions that turn).
    The inventor uses ISP directly from her pool for the device, but once its initial Duration is finished (it cannot be maintained) it falls apart into its component pieces.
  • Major Psionic: Before attempting a Psionics skill roll, Major and Master Psionics may spend 2 ISP to gain +1 to the roll, or 4 ISP for +2.
  • Quick: The hero may discard and redraw Action Cards of 5 or lower.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2 ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 5/4
Adventure Cards
Edit Signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Dahara looked accross the desk at @Rena Brooks. Beneath the psi operator’s dossier was a full report of the damage to her last cycle written in detail by Major Sturgeon. She frowned slightly at the request for a new cycle. Despite her predilection to tell her to get out of her office and never come back something struck a chord within the dwarve’s soul. Still she was not about to just give her a brand new cycle no matter what sweet word’s came from Rena’s pie hole.

“Operator Brooks, unfortunately at this time we do not have a cycle to just give you. But I might have a bead on something you could customize in the future. There is something to be said to build such a machine from the ground up. Like this castle, me and my kin forged... Building it gave us respect for what was done and what has yet to be done.” There was a point in her words some place and after half a second she continued a bit frustrated with the murder ball situation, “Rena, right now we are just sending you. If I can manage to find some other legionaires we will send them as well. You may very well meet them on the road so to speak.”
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Rena Brooks

Post by Rena Brooks »

Although a bit crestfallen about not getting a new ride for this mission, Rena hides it and gives Dhara a warm smile, "Can't blame a girl for trying, ma'am. I could use a file on the Murderthon and Kingsdale if possible. Otherwise, I'm ready for this mission. I won't let you down! Do I have transportation or should I get my gear and head out on foot?"
Pace: 8(d8); Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(3); Strain: -1 Psionics
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Ace, Combat: Ignore -2 in penalties to Boating/Driving/Piloting; Soak for any controlled vehicle using appropriate maneuvering skill instead of Vigor. Ignore MAP for Boating/Driving/Piloting check + another action in the same round.
  • Ambidextrous: Ignore Off-hand penalty; Parry bonuses stack.
  • Born to Ride: When controlling a Size (Normal) vehicle with Exposed Crew, it gains the Nimble ability—or Uncanny Reflexes if it already has Nimble—and make a free reroll on checks to avoid going Out of Control.
    • Live to Ride: When controlling a Size (Normal) vehicle with Exposed Crew, it gains the Nimble ability—or Uncanny Reflexes if it already has Nimble—and make a free reroll on checks to avoid going Out of Control.
  • Gadgeteer: A Gadgeteer can spend up to three ISP to “jury rig” a device from most any reasonable collection of spare parts. This allows her to use any power normally available to Psionics of her Rank or lower in her particular setting, with an ISP cost of 3 or lower.
    The total cost of the power (plus any modifiers) cannot exceed the points spent to create it, but she may create multiple devices as long as she has the points to do so.
    This takes one entire turn, during which she can do nothing else but make a Psionics roll at −2 (she cannot take Multi-Actions that turn).
    The inventor uses ISP directly from her pool for the device, but once its initial Duration is finished (it cannot be maintained) it falls apart into its component pieces.
  • Major Psionic: Before attempting a Psionics skill roll, Major and Master Psionics may spend 2 ISP to gain +1 to the roll, or 4 ISP for +2.
  • Quick: The hero may discard and redraw Action Cards of 5 or lower.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2 ISP: 20/20
Bennies: 5/4
Adventure Cards
Edit Signature

Return to “Adventure Forum”