Prologue: Jilted (Luke, Peter, Simon)

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Prologue: Jilted (Luke, Peter, Simon)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Three months. Three long, awkward, months.

That is how long the trio of unlikely monster hunters have been working together since the day they came together under compromising circumstances. Luke, famous blogger, with the hot wife comes home to his fancy condo in Brentwood to find her in bed with his best friend Peter! Before things get really awkward (is that even possible?) a fellow bsts into the house with flintlock pistols and unloads on the wife.

She doesn’t die.

Not even close.

Instead, before his eyes, Luke sees his wife transform into a horrendously beautiful creature. By all accounts she looks like and angel but somehow different, darker, and more terrifying. Like the beautiful Queen Maleficent from the story of Snow White. Beautiful but terrifying.

Then she flies out the window!

Suddenly, everyone has a lot of explaining to do. What was Peter doing with Luke’s wife? How did Luke not know she was a monster? Who is the guy with the flintlock pistols? Most importantly, what the hell is going on?
Interlude
Flashback to that moment and tell it from your perspective.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Simon

Re: Prologue: Jilted (Luke, Peter, Simon)

Post by Simon »

Simon’s arm burns. It starts with his forearm and spreads like, well, like fire, traveling down to his wrist and out into his fingers in one direction and up his arm, into his neck and jaw, and then down into his chest.

He hears her laughing at him. In his face. In his mind. In his... was she in his face? Everything is a bit woozier than usual. He wasn’t drunk, was he? Why would being drunk hurt his arm?

The glass from the window is everywhere, and he hears and feels it crunch beneath his shoes.

Why is there so much glass and burning and WHAT IS GOING ON IN HIS HEAD?!

He tries shaking his head to clear it, like a dog might, but it doesn’t work. He can still hear the laughing.

The demon is gone by now. He’s pretty sure she is, at least. The Fallen usually don’t stick around after assassination attempts, but, then again, they also don’t usually not die when given both barrels. That’s never happened before.

Her laugh stays with him, sticky sweet and burning, while he tries to power through it. Get your head right. There’s a naked guy here. And the blogger, he’s here, too. Simon knows he expected one of those, but he can’t remember which.

He sits down on a chair, or maybe it’s an overturned bedside table or something. Hard to say, with the burning and the laughing going on inside his head. He sighs, and grabs a cigarette.

To the blogger, he says, ”I know it’s rude to smoke in someone else’s house, but, you know, given all this,” he waves towards the broken window and the naked guy, ”I’m sure a little smoke is the least upsetting thing happening right now, and I need a minute.”

He lights it and starts reloading the pistols through the haze.

She didn’t die. Crap. She didn’t die and she’s in my head and my arm is going to burn off and the naked guy looks so funny... that expression on his face!

Simon starts laughing, a little weirdly, if he’s being honest with himself, at the ridiculousness of the situation.

We’re all gonna die, he thinks, as Lilith’s mark finishes burning itself into the his forearm, and he laughs and smokes in another man’s bedroom while loading a pair of flintlocks and a naked guy looks uncomfortable.

The laughter in his head just gets louder.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

One does not casually have your way with the wife of a friend...well perhaps some people do but Peter is not one of them. Ladies' man is not in his description in the first place, and neither is hurting people who consider him their friends. No matter how envious he is of how much better off Luke is.

Look at him, Luke is wealthy, famous, and has a beautiful wife who looks a lot younger than someone who has been married for 17 years should. Peter does as much work as Luke, at least on the research end, but Luke is the writer. So Luke gets the by-line and his picture on the articles and people know who he is, while no one knows who Peter is. Most women never even take a second look at Peter actually, because he is the shy and retiring type and geeky as well.

So when Lily first started coming onto him, well he assumed she was not really interested in him. Even if a woman like that, who had everything, decided to cheat, she could look a lot higher than Peter. She had to be either trying to cheer Peter up, for the sake of her husband's work, or trying to make her husband Jealous.

It took her a while to make him realize she was serious, and he refused because it would make things awkward and uncomfortable...and Luke is a friend. She tried a different tactic, talking about their difficulty having children. That might have swayed him if not for the part of not wanting Luke to know about it.

That was when she upped the ante, saying that SHE was the reason Luke was where he was. She had given him his power, in the form of wealth and fame, and could give power to Peter as well, all he had to do was agree to be the father of her next child or children. The Envious part of Peter told him he could equal or surpass Luke in one fell swoop, it was irresistible.

Luke was supposed to be out of town, getting some kind ow award for his work, so he would never have to know. For some reason, he did not stay gone as long as expected (or perhaps Peter lost track of time, Lily was insatiable). When Luke barged in, Peter was kind of frozen in place, pinned by guilt, but also becoming aware of something else. It was like a chorus of voices in his head, asking Peter what he wanted them to do.

That was when things went from awkward to downright SCARY. A complete stranger broke in through the windows and points what looks like an ancient dueling pistol at Lily and shot her. Lily laughed and then she changed before his eyes into a cruel mockery of an angel, beauty, but a wanton beauty. The voices in Peter's head chanted, Mother, mother.

Lily turned to Peter and said, "You have kept your side of our bargain, and I have kept mine. Powers is yours, if you can but learn to use it."

Then she vanished in a flash of fire and a smell as of burning sulfur.
Luke Morningstar

Post by Luke Morningstar »

Fortune, 17 years of marriage, no children, a best friend, and I had never seen a flintlock. You come home early from getting a people's choice award early to share it with the only woman that has ever meant anything to you. In a blink of a wretched eye it was all taken away.

" What the fuck is going on!"

You can take it all away but you'll ever take my fame... Of course I mind if you smoke, salaud..

Blog Post: The Morning After the Incident...

My morning mites, my little logrolling bed bugs. I ask you a question. What is love? Is it 17 years of unbelievable marriage and fortune? Is it being able to rely on one of the best people you have ever met day in and day out? Is it coming to work and always seeing a seeming cup of joe on your desk? Or is love the devil?

I am here to tell you that it is the latter. Look to the person you cherish the most and cast off their flesh to see beauty so horrifying that it pales in comparison to the White Queen in Tolkien's imagination. You will wake up one night or come home one day and confront them in unspeakable acts that will bring tears to your face and words unhindered to your lips. Love will leave you watching your best friend writhing under your beloved. Love will leave you holding the dick of three musketeer wannabee while he smokes in a clear no smoking area. Love will cause you to truly see who has been at your side and who hasn't. I write of no mere lovers jilted quarrel or a three way gone wrong. No... No indeed. It can ensorcel and confound. It has a beauty that contains a darkness that draws you near.

The hunt is on my mites. We will root out the insidious underbelly of love and expose it for what it truly is: The Devil's wort! There maybe some readers who find more meaning in my words than most. Know this that you have an ally to your cause. Demon's are among us, and I Luke Morningstar promise to keep you safe from them by dragging this evil out into the light.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Luke Morningstar wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 pm Fortune, 17 years of marriage, no children, a best friend, and I had never seen a flintlock. You come home early from getting a people's choice award early to share it with the only woman that has ever meant anything to you. In a blink of a wretched eye it was all taken away.

" What the fuck is going on!"

You can take it all away but you'll ever take my fame... Of course I mind if you smoke, salaud..
Simon exhales, smoke billowing around him and over the elaborate decor of the room, which looks tastefully expensive.

”That is a more complicated question, I think, than you know. As for the naked guy, well, I’m sure I don’t need to draw you a diagram. But as for your wife, she’s, well, she’s a bit of a demon, actually. I don’t mean metaphorically or just because she was clearly cheating on you with skinny jeans, here, but she is, quite literally, demonic in nature. Paranormal. Not of this world. You know, take your pick.”

Simon finishes loading the flintlocks and slides them into their holsters.

”I’m Simon. I kill demons. We call them ‘Fallen,’ actually, but it’s the same difference. Only, your wife kicked my ass without so much as touching me, and she ignored two rounds to the chest from weapons that are designed for killing critters like her. So, I’m pretty sure we’re all screwed, but we shouldn’t sit around here waiting to find out just how screwed. You should probably pack a bag or something, because we gotta move before her flunkies show up. There are always flunkies.” He gives @Peter Dunn a meaningful look when he says that last line.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

A demon, well yeah, the transformation and the light show and the voices in my head tend to agree with that. What did she do to me anyway? Am I possessed or something, Peter thinks.

Out loud, he admits, "I had no idea she was a demon, but there are a lot of guys out there who would be willing to do her a few favors for a sample of her favors. The only reason I kept my hands off her as long as I did when she started hitting on me was that her husband is a friend."

He wonders if he should say more, or if he already said too much. He does not want to hurt Luke more by rubbing his nose in what has clearly been going on a long time. On the other hand, the situation is not normal.
Luke Morningstar

Luke dropped the award he was holding... It didn’t even matter... None of it mattered.

” We are not going anywhere. What the fuck is happenin—“ It was like Luke saw Peter for the first time, naked... Click two plus two equals... ” Peter what the hell man! Musketeer I’ll show you a demon give me a gun!” Luke lunged for one of the hunters flintlocks but tripped on his wifes slinky night gown. It was as if Lilith still had her claws dug into him. Ooomph... Fuck you Peter! The scent of his wife coming off the gown filled his nostrils and made him woozy. Out came the vomit, poutine by the looks of it.

With less force than the mightiest mouse Luke muttered, ” Ughhh... What is fucking going on...”
Simon

Post by Simon »

Luke Morningstar wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:09 am Luke dropped the award he was holding... It didn’t even matter... None of it mattered.

” We are not going anywhere. What the fuck is happenin—“ It was like Luke saw Peter for the first time, naked... Click two plus two equals... ” Peter what the hell man! Musketeer I’ll show you a demon give me a gun!” Luke lunged for one of the hunters flintlocks but tripped on his wifes slinky night gown. It was as if Lilith still had her claws dug into him. Ooomph... Fuck you Peter! The scent of his wife coming off the gown filled his nostrils and made him woozy. Out came the vomit, poutine by the looks of it.

With less force than the mightiest mouse Luke muttered, ” Ughhh... What is fucking going on...”
"Right, then. Up you go." Simon puts out his cigarette, reaches down and hoists Luke up in a fireman's carry. "Today sucks, I know. Hold it together a bit and it will suck less. The demon part, at least."

To @Peter Dunn, he calls, "better get some pants on. We have got to be not-here very soon, or we are going to be very much not here very soon, if you catch my meaning."
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

He watches Luke lose what appears to be some drinks from the party while he grabs for the stranger's...the Demon Hunter's...gun and trips over a dress the demon flew away without.

Peter grabs his clothing and starts putting it on, but he says to Luke, "If you decide to shoot me, I will not stop you."

He thinks to himself, I am not sure if I will consider it a punishment or a mercy killing.

He looks at the Demon Hunter, "Once we get somewhere quiet, I hope you have a bit more time to explain what happened here."

It would be nice to think that there was more than just lust and envy making him act as he did.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

"And there are always flunkies..."
As Peter, Luke, and Simon debate what the hell just happened. Peter still standing there half-naked and Luke in a rage about his wife-turned-adulterer- turned-demon sirens can be heard coming toward the house. Probably not LAPD, they would take forever to get here even if someone called in gunshots, more likely the private security company that elites in Brentwood like Lilith paid a lot of money to to keep the riff-raff out. And right now, Luke, Peter, and Simon looked a lot like rif-raff.

Of course, if they are on Lilith's payroll they might also be under her command...suddenly Luke wonders who his wife hasn't slept with.

ooc: Private security is coming you can greet them like good citizens or run like hell. Totally up to you.
Signature
Luke Morningstar

Raven wood, good... Wait, those ass suckers hate me as much as any rift raft they are paid to keep out. We are fucked.

Luke grabs his best blogger of the year award and runs to the window. His flight mode had kicked in. He could always kill Peter later. He knew where he worked... Across from Luke. He’d make it look like an accident, although how to put a pencil in the eye and it be an accident was a bit of a grey area, ”Well the Ivy on the wall has its roots into everything just like my w—“ Too soon, fuck fuck fuck. I need some goddamn syrup, fuck... Luke sometimes was prone to low blood shugsr bout of rage or general insanity, bloggers needed an edge. After glancing wistfully at the jar of syrup on the kitchen counter he waited a solid second letting the Ravenwood security dicks get out of their vehicle and hut hut into the building. Then he got onto the balcony and swung his legs over hoping he could make it into the balcony below. He motioned to Simon, and barely to Peter to follow, ” This way... We can get down...” 30ft, gulp.

Athletics [dice:qadpr9bw]56601:0[/dice:qadpr9bw] ace [dice:qadpr9bw]56601:2[/dice:qadpr9bw] wild [dice:qadpr9bw]56601:1[/dice:qadpr9bw]
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter looks at the climbing ivy, I am no Athlete. Could I climb that? Would it be weakened by Luke going first?

The voices in his head say, *There is no need to climb master, just trust us and jump.*

Peter thinks, This is going to get me killed.

He runs for the edge of the balcony and leaps.
OOC Comments
Elemental Manipulation: Faith [dice:23p3bey6]56626:0[/dice:23p3bey6], Wild Faith [dice:23p3bey6]56626:1[/dice:23p3bey6], WFAce [dice:23p3bey6]56626:2[/dice:23p3bey6], Faith 10=1 raise
He starts to fall, and a massive updraft catches him and slows him down so that he lands lightly on the sidewalk.

He thinks, Oh-kay, that was weird. She did say she gave me power, I guess she actually did. I wonder what else I can do?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon watches as Luke and Peter both practically throw themselves out the window.

I'm going to die. And it's going to be surrounded by idiots.

With a sigh, he swings himself out the window, grabbing the ivy and any other handholds he can find to head down the wall.
Athletics to Climb 7
Athletics [dice:658sxp41]56791:0[/dice:658sxp41] (+1 to climbing from Thief)
Wild [dice:658sxp41]56791:1[/dice:658sxp41]
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Window Dressing
As private security rolls up the building Luke and Simon crawl down the ivy and latticework. To their amazement Peter leaps out of the building and lands on the street softly. A few onlookers give a brief stare at the scene but then move on, this is LA and whatever's happening is none of their business.

On watcher, however, takes a longer look. Tyler Puckett, ex-cop and now paranormal investigation, has been watching this condo for a while. When the woman, obviously a Fallen flew, out the window following some gun shots he began to limp close to the scene but couldn't beat the rent-a-cops ther. Then, three more guys come on the window, one obviously with some kind of mojo.

The last of the three drops to the sidewalk just as Tyler gets close enough to have a look.
Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter looks around and says to the others, (Luke and Simon) "Ummm, it sees like Lily did something to me...aside from THAT. I am not sure what exactly, but it is why I am not street pizza. I think we better find her, if she can do that to me, there is no telling what else she might be capable of."

Man, talking about this is going to be awkward, especially with Luke. We need to get someplace where we can investigate...because this clearly can not be normal, thinks Peter
OOC Comments
Notice [dice:3gbp0iku]56966:0[/dice:3gbp0iku], Wild Notice [dice:3gbp0iku]56966:1[/dice:3gbp0iku]
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Research
Just to see if I did my homework before staking the place out.
[dice:1lu8qqar]56967:0[/dice:1lu8qqar]
[dice:1lu8qqar]56967:1[/dice:1lu8qqar]
Tyler shuffles over to @Peter Dunn when he lands and says, "Mr. Dunn. People don't usually float out of windows. But, they usually don't pork demon's either, do they? Do me a favor and keep the weird shit to a minimum in public."

He opens a duffel bag and scrounges around inside it while Luke and the other guy approach. Tyler pulls a flask out and tosses it to @Luke. With a shrug he says, "It won't take the pain away, but that'll calm it down for a bit. Worked for me for a while, Luke. I was expecting to catch your wife in the act, but this isn't exactly how I imagined the night going. But I guess you don't need me to tell you that? Congratulations, by the way."

Tyler nods at @Simon then motions for a smoke, "Don't know who the hell you are, but introductions can wait. We really should get the fuck out of dodge. Mind if I get one of those off you?"
Tyler Pucket, Ex-Cop P.I.
Tyler, Private Investigator
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 4; Toughness: 5(0)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • One Eye: -2 to any Trait roll dependent on vision and more than 5" distant.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/4
Edit Signature
Simon

Post by Simon »

Tyler Puckett wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:40 am
Tyler nods at @Simon then motions for a smoke, "Don't know who the hell you are, but introductions can wait. We really should get the fuck out of dodge. Mind if I get one of those off you?"
Simon tosses Tyler a cigarette and simply says, ”Drive.” Whoever the new guy is, he’s right. Introductions can wait.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter wonders who the crippled guy is, and how he knows who Peter is? However he knows and whoever he is, he is right that staying here is likely not a very good idea.

He replies to the stranger, "I get the feeling that hiding what I can do until it is needed is a good idea."

He notes to himself, People often have trouble accepting the strange and unusual...and that seems to roughly describe what he can do now.
Luke Morningstar

What the fuck!

Luke took the flask flying into a brooding rage. He threw it at @Peter Dunn. Its too bad his dad never taught him how to play baseball or he would have had a good chance at hitting Peter’s ugly mug. Did he just fly?”

He seethed mildly regretting not starting on the path to alcholosim, ” Did you do her too One eye Jack? Great, all in one day lost my best friend, wife, and gained a fucking pirate and musketeer.”

Luke glanced back up the way they had climbed down. He looked at his hands mildly shredded, no way he could climb back up again. ” Fuck, I forgot my award up... Fuck... Can you guys keep Blackwood security busy while I go back and get it. I must have dropped it when I found my best friend fucking my wife.” He was for sure asking a question but his tone towards the end indicated that this would be the first of many things @Peter Dunn would be required to do.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Luke Morningstar wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:35 pm
Luke glanced back up the way they had climbed down. He looked at his hands mildly shredded, no way he could climb back up again. ” Fuck, I forgot my award up... Fuck... Can you guys keep Blackwood security busy while I go back and get it. I must have dropped it when I found my best friend fucking my wife.” He was for sure asking a question but his tone towards the end indicated that this would be the first of many things @Peter Dunn would be required to do.
"No. There's no time. Get in the car, man. We can sort it out later." Simon tries to be sympathetic; the guy has had a crappy day, after all. But he wants to be gone already. This job has already gone sideways in a couple of ways, and it's time to just be somewhere else.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter comments, "Neither one of us is a Ninja, Luke. The physical award won't mean a thing if we are dead, and the fact that you won it will not be changed by not having it."

Peter frowns, Well, as far as I know, I am not a Ninja. This does not seem to be the best time to test that question though.
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Tyler sighs at @Luke, "Look. It's your house, do what you want. The smart play is to get in the car. We can figure out what it is and how to take care of it. I assume shooting it didn't work? We'll probably need some specialty equipment, and I'm all out. As far as your personal issues? I don't care. Suck it up buttercup. You got off easy. Listen to your friends and lets go."
Edit Signature
Luke Morningstar

Luke got one foot in the car with the three strangers. The foundation could probably replace his award if he went through proper channls. After all his wife was on the governing board. She had not even gone to the ceremony to avoid any notion of impropriety. When he received it he could tell Lilith had had it custom made just for him. He was not sure why or how, but he could just tell. No... No way if she is... Its now or never, that award proves I am not second rate... Buttercup? What the fuck you one eyed pirate prick.

Luke muttered, ” Suck it what Captain Dan?”. He bolted for the door back into the apartment complex. Lilith had had a dumbel waiter installed last month for post-mate deliveries. It was in a key pad locked cabinet at the far end of the lobby across the way from the elevator and ran pallel to the garbage chute. He ever got the code, but had seen a delivery man use it last week. 666, is the code. Don’t ever call me buttercup.

Over the shoulder he yelled, ” Fuck off then Captain Dan, and Dartanan, take my ex best friend with you. I am not a second rate blogger, I am the best and that award proves it. Lilith had it custom made, there is something about it... And I am not leaving it behind.” If she is some kind of demon, I’ll drive the award through her brain.

Dropping a benny for a dumb waiter that he could take up oppose to the elevator. Hindrances: driven to be the best blogger.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Oh, man. Simon shoots @Peter Dunn a glare when @Luke Morningstar takes off. ”Maybe sit this one out, slugger.”

To @Tyler Puckett, he says, ”I don’t suppose you’ve got a taser or something on you? I mean, I could stop him with my Glock, but I think that would kind of defeat the point, wouldn’t it?”
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Tyler rolls his eyes at @Luke Morningstar's back as he bolts.

He looks at Peter and says, "Right. @Peter Dunn be a pal and grab my flask? I'd rather not leave my DNA laying around what might become an actual crime scene. No offense, but don't help yourself. I still don't know all the in's and out's of the weird shit, and I don't want a case of demon clap or something."
Simon wrote:To Tyler Puckett, he says, ”I don’t suppose you’ve got a taser or something on you? I mean, I could stop him with my Glock, but I think that would kind of defeat the point, wouldn’t it?"
Tyler chuckles and rifles through his duffel bag and pulls out a pair of pink fluffy handcuffs. Then he blushes.

"Uh...Forgot about those," He mutters as he quickly shoves them back into the bag and pulls out a pair of police issue restraints and asks,"Think you can get these on him? People are much more manageable when restrained."
Edit Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter winces, "Damn."

I can not let Luke do it by himself, blast it I owe the man, Peter thinks. (Shamed Hindrance in effect)

Peter focuses on the award, which he caught a look at when Luke entered holding it. Everything went to hell about then (kind of literally), he is not going to forget any details of what happened very soon.

He concentrates his will, "Winds which carried me to the ground, sweep up what Luke seeks, bring it over and around, so your master speaks."

He notes, I have no idea if rhyming will help, but it can not hurt.
OOC Comments
Faith [dice:389p9bnb]56984:0[/dice:389p9bnb], Wild Faith [dice:389p9bnb]56984:1[/dice:389p9bnb]
Bennie to reroll
Faith [dice:389p9bnb]56984:2[/dice:389p9bnb], Wild Faith [dice:389p9bnb]56984:3[/dice:389p9bnb]
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Award Ceremony
Almost in the clear, almost.

Unfortunately, vanity raises its pretty head and Luke desires to recover his blogging award. he is convinced it is a clue to their current circumstances, or perhaps he just needs one thing to hold on to as his world crumbles around him.

Regardless of his motivations the rest of the group has to deal with the fact Luke is headed back to the building: restrain him, shoot him, leave him, or help him. It's going to mean trouble no matter which way you slice it.

Recover the Trophy
Dramatic Task: 3 rounds, 15 tokens.

Deal with the Rent-a-Cops (5 tokens): Persuasion, Intimidation, Fighting, Shooting, Athletics.

Toss the Condo to Find the Award (5 Tokens): Notice, Research, Common Knowledge

Get the Hell Outta There Before Real Cops Show Up (5 tokens): Athletics, Stealth, Survival, Driving, Common Knowledge
Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

For some reason, that did not work. Well, Peter is just starting out, getting the hang of what he can do will take time.

For now, he has to try something else. He follows the others into the building.

He thinks, OK, so they told me to stay behind, but I can not let Luke go in alone...or even with just the guy who shot at his wife.

Fortunately, Peter has been a frequent visitor over the years, so going in through the front door is a valid option. People tend to overlook the strait path when they are thinking of crooked dealings.

He strolls into the building and heads up the stairs. This leaves him a bit winded by the time he reaches the right floor, so he pauses to catch his breath and talk with the voices in his head, *All right, tell me about yourselves. What can you do? Do not all talk at once, each group have a spokesman tell me one at a time.*

A soft but deep voice says in his head, *We are Polterghiests, the ones who move things. We can possess the elements and move them as you direct if we are close enough to hear your directives.*

A high pitched mental voice responds, *We are Glamourie, we can change what the living sense.*

An indefinite voice growls, *We are Therian, we can give you the strengths of the beasts.*

No other voices speak up, so that seems to be the limits of what he can do. Still, that is certainly an interesting assortment of abilities.

He directs, *All right then, Glamourie I need you to keep the security guards from seeing me, see what you can do about that.*

The high-pitched voice replies, *We will do so to the limits of your power, your gifts will improve with practice.*

That seems less than comforting.
OOC Comments
"Card" Roll [dice:2imfe6kq]57048:2[/dice:2imfe6kq]
Faith [dice:2imfe6kq]57048:0[/dice:2imfe6kq], Wild Faith [dice:2imfe6kq]57048:1[/dice:2imfe6kq]
At this point, Peter only has Blind Available, I believe he can raise the PP cost so it affects multiple people?
Luke Morningstar

[dice:3evkh4vr]57050:0[/dice:3evkh4vr]

Rent a cops...

Ding! Fuck, the dumb waiter had a chime. Of course it had a chime. When the doors slid open two of Blackhope’s best security gaurds stood their pistol’s drawn and smiling like they just caught a 150 lb grouper. Luke lunged at them either not carrying or finally going insane. Vengeance will be mine!! ”Argggghhhh!” Abandoning stealth for the moment he opts to just tackle the two trying to smash their heads against the stuben glass vase the mayor had gifted his wife last year.

Could be worse... At least I ain’t a private dick who just mistook a laxative for a breathmint.
Athletics: [dice:3evkh4vr]57050:1[/dice:3evkh4vr] wild [dice:3evkh4vr]57050:2[/dice:3evkh4vr]
Simon

Post by Simon »

Fighting Fail
[dice:1cn7c7wl]57052:0[/dice:1cn7c7wl]

Fighting [dice:1cn7c7wl]57052:1[/dice:1cn7c7wl]
Wild [dice:1cn7c7wl]57052:2[/dice:1cn7c7wl]

Benny to reroll
Fighting [dice:1cn7c7wl]57052:3[/dice:1cn7c7wl]
Wild [dice:1cn7c7wl]57052:4[/dice:1cn7c7wl]

What are the odds, right?

Simon sees the other two men go inside, and lets out a long, overly exasperated sigh meant for no one in particular.

Yep. Surrounded by idiots.

Sneaking back inside is easy enough, and he comes across @Luke Morningstar trying to fight off multiple guards at once. Luke isn’t having the best go of it.

How badly do we need this guy alive, really? he wonders as he enters the fray. Maybe his higher ups wouldn’t mind too much if Luke died? But, really, given how crappy their intel on Mrs. Luke had been, maybe there was something in Luke’s head they could use to get the drop on his wife, but only if the rent-a-cops didn’t drop Luke on his head in the meanwhile.

Simon jumps into the mess, just like he has a hundred times before, and takes a cheap shot at one of the security guards, aiming for a kidney. Instead, the guy shifts at the last minute, lurching down for Luke and takes the punch on his shoulder blade, where it basically glances off.

This is just not my day, Simon thinks as the guards, now aware of him in the hallway, turn towards him.
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Shooting 5; -1 Benny
[dice:1kpu2wst]57063:0[/dice:1kpu2wst] Not a Club (Woot?)
-1 Narrative Benny: Turns out Tyler did have some blessed salt rounds laying around. (2/3 Bennies)
Shooting: [dice:1kpu2wst]57063:1[/dice:1kpu2wst]
Wild: [dice:1kpu2wst]57063:2[/dice:1kpu2wst]
Tyler sees security hot on Luke's heels with Peter and Simon close behind. He hesitates a minute trying to decide if this is worth all the trouble.

'I just wanted some damn pictures. Why did people start flying around and grown ass men start fighting each other all over a damn piece of plastic?'

He takes a deep breath, lets it out, and starts towards the lobby. He stumbles awkwardly when he snatches his flask off the ground and stuffs it into his duffel.

'Damn leg. And damn Luke's lame ass award. Screw it'

When Tyler pulls his hand back out of the duffel it's holding a sawed off shotgun. He breaks it open then pockets its payload. Tyler pulls a couple more shells from another pocket, and he chambers them and snaps the shotgun closed.

Entering the lobby, he lines up his first shot up with the first guard's center of mass and squeezes. The shot packs a punch, but besides being knocked to the ground with fresh holes in his uniform, the security officer doesn't seem much worse for the wear. Unfortunately, Peter steps into Tyler's line of fire and catches a portion of the blast, too. The other guard seems to be wiping his eyes and flailing around for some reason, so this seems like as good a time as any to get out.

"Do any of you Remember when I said 'we should get the hell out of dodge' a couple of minutes ago?" Tyler growls at his new acquaintances, "We should do that, now, But for real this time."

He keeps his shotgun at the ready while he waits on the others to make a move.
Edit Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Bad Decisions

Things do not go well.

As the group follows Luke to recover his award they are immediately confronted by the two rent-a-cops. These guys are obviously not college kids with summer jobs but ex-law enforcement or military professionals and getting by them is no joke. Really only when things get really bad and Tyler whips out a shot gun that sends them scrambling with a backside full of rock salt does the situation change and not necessarily for the better.

Taking cover behind an overturned dinner table and a large section sofa the two guards draw their guns and call for back-up.

2 rounds left!

Recover the Trophy
  • Dramatic Task: 3 rounds, 15 tokens.
    Deal with the Rent-a-Cops (1/5 tokens): Persuasion, Intimidation, Fighting, Shooting, Athletics.
    Toss the Condo to Find the Award (0/5 Tokens): Notice, Research, Common Knowledge
    Get the Hell Outta There Before Real Cops Show Up (0/5 tokens): Athletics, Stealth, Survival, Driving, Common Knowledge
Cards: Roll 1d4, a 1 is a Club and incurs a complication. If you roll a 4, roll again. Another 4 nets a Joker and adds +2.
Signature
Luke Morningstar

Tossing the condo
[dice:1kyiv17q]57497:0[/dice:1kyiv17q]
Common knowledge [dice:1kyiv17q]57497:1[/dice:1kyiv17q] ace [dice:1kyiv17q]57497:3[/dice:1kyiv17q] wild [dice:1kyiv17q]57497:2[/dice:1kyiv17q]
Diving for cover? Everyone knows what that means, I mean it was fucking common knowledge.
Luke made a mad dash while the two chuck Norris wanna bees were doing the smart thing. The oft famous blogger was going for either his award hand picked by his wife, or the blender the Sander’s from next door had gifted them when they got hitched. Either way he was going to come away with a fantastic piece of plastic.

One eyed poppy was going on about needing to go. Wasn’t he the one who said Luke needed to man up? This is what men do. They go all out for something with ruthless pursuit. Heck after this was over Luke would really have something for his next master class video series.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter grunts, "Convince HIM." and gestures at Luke.

If it was just me, I would leave, but Luke would not be in this ess if not for me, so I owe it to him to at least try to get him out, Peter Thinks.
OOC Comments
Initiative draw[dice:1ml2qpp1]57498:0[/dice:1ml2qpp1]
An idea strikes Peter, *Polterghiests, you say you can possess the elements, can you stop something from burning, say keep the gunpowder in those guns from exploding? If not, can you use air to exert a sudden force on the guns by possessing the air to prevent the guards from hitting us if they shoot?*

Peter concentrates on what he wants to do, and trusts in the magic...
OOC Comments
Faith [dice:1ml2qpp1]57498:1[/dice:1ml2qpp1], Wild Faith [dice:1ml2qpp1]57498:2[/dice:1ml2qpp1]
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Athletics: 5
Complication: [dice:1680aela]57513:2[/dice:1680aela]
Reroll: [dice:1680aela]57513:3[/dice:1680aela]

Athletics: [dice:1680aela]57513:0[/dice:1680aela]
Wild: [dice:1680aela]57513:1[/dice:1680aela]
Tyler dives for cover behind a sturdy lounge couch as security does the same across the room. He shoves the shotgun back into the duffel and pulls out a small shot tray style plastic tube, a box of black pepper and several black cats.

Tyler fills the tube with pepper, twists the fuses to the firecrackers together and shoves them far enough down the tube for maximal effect while leaving enough fuse to light. Reaching back into the duffel, he pulls out some duct tape and tears off enough to secure the opening and fuses.

He lights the fireworks, counts to two and chunks it at the security guards. A couple seconds later he hears a muffled pop followed by coughing and sneezing from their direction.
Edit Signature
Simon

Post by Simon »

Fighting [dice:349nwcej]57639:0[/dice:349nwcej]
Wild [dice:349nwcej]57639:1[/dice:349nwcej]
If at first you don’t succeed... Simon uses the many, many distractions around him to get the drop on one of the guards, landing a solid blow to the solar plexus that leaves the rent a cop woozy.

He thinks, not for the first time, that today has gone sideways in more ways than he can count. This better wrap up soon.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Dramatic Task wrote:Last Round!
Dramatic Task: 3 rounds, 15 tokens.
Deal with the Rent-a-Cops (4/5 tokens): Persuasion, Intimidation, Fighting, Shooting, Athletics.
Toss the Condo to Find the Award (4/5 Tokens): Notice, Research, Common Knowledge
Get the Hell Outta There Before Real Cops Show Up (0/5 tokens): Athletics, Stealth, Survival, Driving, Common Knowledge
Cards: Roll 1d4, a 1 is a Club and incurs a complication. If you roll a 4, roll again. Another 4 nets a Joker and adds +2.
As the security guards dive for cover, Luke bolts into the living room and grabs his blogging award from the glass display case. He knocks over a bunch of Lilith's glass nick knacks, sending them crashing to the floor with a spitefully satisfying smash. Unfortunately, the award is secured against a similar fate and it'll will take a precious extra second to get it down. Meanwhile, Peter, Simon, and Tyler keep the rent-a-cops busy with an alarmingly loud display of fireworks, fisticuffs, and faith.
Signature
Luke Morningstar

OOC Comments
[dice:3eadu04u]57841:0[/dice:3eadu04u] [dice:3eadu04u]57841:1[/dice:3eadu04u]
Common kn [dice:3eadu04u]57841:2[/dice:3eadu04u] wild [dice:3eadu04u]57841:3[/dice:3eadu04u] free reroll [dice:3eadu04u]57841:4[/dice:3eadu04u] ace [dice:3eadu04u]57841:6[/dice:3eadu04u]wild [dice:3eadu04u]57841:5[/dice:3eadu04u]
14 to get away from the police (3 successes)
Panic Button. Time to go...

Luke looked down at the smashed nick nacks with a small smile. Her Aztec Talwar smashed... Ricotta Vase in bits. The Swarovski Crystal Vase I gave her last year busted. Shit... His wife’s panic button was in the bits not broken and blinking.

Luke ducked behind the his and hers sofa chairs glancing up at the award still secured next to the fallen display case. Why it still secured like that? He yelled over the poltergeists, ” Time to go guys! Police are on the way! Peter you fucking owe me for doing my wife... How many times you bastard? Get me my god damn award and we will be half way even...” You don’t want to know how we even the other half.

Luke took one of the sofa cushions and used it to surf the home association mandated over hangs, bounding from one to the next going down from the third floor to the ground. ”I can get us to Cherry and Stillwell... We’ll have half a chance to loose the police there. It’s common knowledge that the Flea Market opens in 5 minutes. We can loose them there if we hurry.”
Simon

Post by Simon »

Stealth to Get Away 12
Stealth [dice:14mfnqqi]57843:0[/dice:14mfnqqi] + [dice:14mfnqqi]57843:2[/dice:14mfnqqi]
Wild [dice:14mfnqqi]57843:1[/dice:14mfnqqi]

[dice:14mfnqqi]57843:3[/dice:14mfnqqi]
Simon hears Luke’s hollering and thinks, Finally, he’s talking sense!

He gives the rent-a-cop he’d been tangling with a swift kick to remember him by, and then he makes for yet another window and scrambles out.

Dropping down quickly to the ground, he meets up with the others and (hopefully) does his best to coach them through the ins and outs of avoiding detection in the city as they head towards the flee market.
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Intimidation 5
Intimidation: [dice:3smbpvs3]57889:0[/dice:3smbpvs3]
Wild: [dice:3smbpvs3]57889:1[/dice:3smbpvs3]
Tyler catches a glimpse of his new acquaintances booking it and lets out a sigh of relief.

'Finally. What a shitshow.'

He hobbles towards the security officers and leans down a little, giving them a good look at what's left of his face and a menacing smile.

"Cause us any more grief," he growls, "and you'll get more than a light salt and peppering, understand? I have friends that wear a lot of blue, so you should remember that before you go running your mouth over a little scuffle. Snitches get stitches, right?"

He gives the more coherent guard a light slap across the face before rushing off to catch up with the others.
Edit Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter replies, "It was just the once, though that does not matter."

Peter thinks, It does not matter because he is right about me owing him. Perhaps I need a different strategy though.

He runs forward and says silently to his demonic forces, *OK Therian, do your stuff. Make strong enough to break that award free of the wall.*
OOC Comments
Spirit for Boost Trait[dice:1a5q10zl]57909:0[/dice:1a5q10zl], Wild Spirit [dice:1a5q10zl]57909:1[/dice:1a5q10zl]
Oops, rolled wrong thing, it was FAITH, I was thinking the Nightbane game
Faith for Boost Trait [dice:1a5q10zl]57909:2[/dice:1a5q10zl], Wild Faith [dice:1a5q10zl]57909:3[/dice:1a5q10zl]
Bennie to reroll faith: [dice:1a5q10zl]57909:4[/dice:1a5q10zl], Wild Faith [dice:1a5q10zl]57909:5[/dice:1a5q10zl]
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Finally wrestling the award from the wall, the trio exists the scene before the cops show up...barely. They can hear sirens and see the flashing lights in front of the building as they somewhat causally walk toward Tyler's car and - looking as innocent as possible - pile in and drive away while observing all traffic laws. Simon leads them through some different streets and double backs to make sure their not being pursued before giving the all clear.

Award in hand, the blogger, the adulterer, the detective, and the gunslinger sit in the car. Awkward silence filling the air.
Signature
Luke Morningstar

Luke looked at the trio... His eyes were filled with ruthless wonder sprinkled with fear. He voice was shakey and cut the awkward silience, ”Who... Who... The fuck are all you?” Yes he even included his long time friend Peter is his pointed question for did he even know the man that had turned his wife... Into that thing? A gohst summonging adulterer, the lamest PI ever, Fucking Portos... What the hell is happening, I was suppose to have diner tonight with the mayor and my wife... Now I am sitting bitch in this shitty car.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter hands the award to Luke, "I hope this helps you in some way. Your wife seems to have bewitched me, and I am not just talking about getting me into her bed. I get the feeling my life is never going to be normal again, so you can feel better knowing you are not the only one suffering for what happened tonight."

Peter thinks, I get the feeling I have only touched the surface of what I can do, but I get the feeling that being able to do these things is NOT a good thing. Kind of like having a slowly fatal disease that has some benefits.
Simon

Post by Simon »

To @Tyler Puckett, Simon says, ”You got somewhere we can go to lie low? Explanations are in order, and I’d rather be somewhere other than in a confined space with these two.”
Luke Morningstar

Luke seethed his thanks to Peter, ”She bewitched you? Whatever is going on, we are not through... Not by a long shot. You’re debt is not over... You remember Occidental College? Sophmore year, the two weeks I was at the Friars Club? Think hard about that kind of level of retribution...” While Luke’s words were probably overheard by the other two, the private meaning between Luke and Peter seemed clear.
Peter
I thought it might be fun to RP off each other here about maybe a time when the two first met.
Luke held on to the award gifted from his ex friend @Peter Dunn. There was something about it, Luke knew it. His wife whatever she was had a hand in creating it... It has to mean something. Luke grunted feeling like the ass end of an oreo, ”Common Captain Jack, take us to some place safe... I need to know what is happening and who you guys are.” People have a right to know who these fucking wackos are.
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter growls, "No, my debt is not over, but it is not owed to YOU, we all owe her to make her pay for what she has done. WE are even, but we BOTH owe that hellspawn bitch. Let's focus on the target."

He remembers the past they share, including the years of loyalty and assistance he has given. Luke is still his friend, even if he does not think so at the moment, but the one he owes a debt to is Lilith, a debt of vengeance.
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Tyler listens to the bickering in the backseat while he considers @Simon's request.

'Not sure I want these jokers tied to me. Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about even if connected to that little scuffle. DA would be on my side even if things went to court...But I could learn a lot. Petie can fly or at least float. If nothing else, he has to know something I don't.'

Tyler nods and says, "Alright now that that mess is behind us, I think you're right Simon. You can lie low at my office. It's cramped. I run my business out of my one bedroom apartment, so I'm sure you can imagine."

Tyler adjusts the review mirror so he has a good view of @Peter Dunn and @Luke Morningstar, "Luke, what can you tell me about your wife? And Peter what do you know about magic? I've spent the last year digging up everything about magic, demons and monsters that I could find. I've met one Satanic cult leader who could do things like you can, Peter, but most stories of magic and miracles are complete bullshit. And...I've experienced what a demon like your wife can do personally, Luke. I need to know more."
Edit Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter looks at the driver and says, "Until an hour ago, I would have said both magic and demons do not exist. Now I have voices in my head asking me what they can do for me. As far as I can tell, I have three types of spirits that will usually try to do what I ask, but seem to have some limitations. I have one type that can bollix up the senses of others, a second type that can move stuff around, and a third type that gives me the powers of animals or something like that. Right now, that is all I know about real magic...everything else I know is from games and old tales and is probably fiction."

He adds, "What about you, Driver man? And Simon, what do you know? Perhaps, between us, we can find out something. Research is what Luke and I do."
Tyler Puckett

Post by Tyler Puckett »

Tyler grunts at @Peter Dunn, "Figures. Well, forget anything you've read in fiction, in the news or online. Its all bullshit or maybe covered up, but I have no clue if that is true or not. The tabloids though? They might be surprisingly reilable. That cult leader? That's how I found him. They said he was a vampire. He definitely wasn't a vampire. He greeted me in broad daylight when I found him."

Tyler rubs his scarred face before continuing, "I told him who I was, what little I knew about him. He laughed at first, but then I showed him my leg and the rest of my scars. I told him about the freak that did it to me. He nodded and invited me in, and we had a talk. He showed me his tricks. Flying, like you, and he was inhumanly strong. He said he was possessed, but if he sacrificed blood in satanic rituals then the demon was quiet."

Tyler stares Peter down through the rear view mirror, "I don't know if that was just him or its a thing, but I swear if you try to get any of my blood we'll have problems. Anyhow, the guy introduced me to his followers and asked me to join. He thought I was going to buy into his gig because I knew evil was real. I bugged out quick after that."

Tyler sighs and wraps up his story, "Some whack-job and the tabloids have been my best sources of information. Sometimes you can find old books in the library. The older the better. You can find good information there. That's why I'm packing the salt rounds. Ive read several books which say evil spirits can be hurt by blessed salt. And if I make a mistake and shoot someone not evil? Well, salt isn't likely to kill them."
Edit Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter comments, "I don't need blood for my magic so far as I know."

He does look troubled though, what if I do need to do something wicked to make my powers stronger? Will I give in and slowly become a monster?

Return to “Chronicles”