On the plane to Tuscon (IC Posting Thread)

Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

On the plane to Tuscon (IC Posting Thread)

Post by Stoic »

The group arrives at the airport and finds their way to the private runway. A sleek looking lear jet rolls up and a staircase descends, an attractive woman walking down it. "Ladies and gentlemen, please find a seat."

As the group sits in their respective spots a quick safety lesson is given and menus are handed out. The stewardess remains out of sight but will respond quickly to the press of a button each of you has on your seats. In the back in a tiny lounge area with a comfortable couch and loveseat. Just big enough to fit the entire group if they care to go there to chat.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
Kindreth

Re: On the plane to Tuscon (IC Posting Thread)

Post by Kindreth »

Not bad work, Trent, Jamie thinks as they zip along on the private plane. We should skip coach and do this more often.

She has her briefing notes laid out in front of her and is going over the images and schematics (or the best approximation they have), working up the best plan she can for their avenue of approach.
Battle 9
Battle [dice:3lk09fhf]48840:0[/dice:3lk09fhf]
Wild [dice:3lk09fhf]48840:1[/dice:3lk09fhf]
I don't know if we can get some kind of mechanical bonus later for her roll, but I figure it can't hurt to have a decent plan in place before touching down.
"Hey," she asks the gathered group, "anyone else here worked an op in a snowstorm before?"
Trent

Post by Trent »

Trent looks up at @Julie’s question about whose done an op in a snow storm. Up till now he had been remotly playing with the stewardess call button timing her to see how fast she could really get to the team if their was enough need. After switching the button off he pipes up, ” Yeah... Two ops for me in the snow. First one, the entire team except for me was left buried under several tons of glacial ice.” Trent visible pales when he mentions it. But ever the trooper and a guy with more stories than esop he continues, ”The second was an all hands on deck kind of SPEAR op. Operation Broken Arrow... Half a dozen SPAER teams such as ourselves all converging on a compound of militia that had smuggled in a few nukes stateside. Word was they had help, we could never prove anything, but I suspected ARES. Yeah it was a snow blind to say the least. I was covering my team up top with one of my drones, I had outfitted my drone to cut through the worst of the snow, but still it was hard to make out anything in great detail... Seemed easy at first, all teams converging at the same time. Little resistance... But that was when shit really hit the fan.” Trent grows quiet as it seems the snow held no favors for him.
Operation Broken Arrow
Feel free to add to the story I intentionally left it on a cliff hanger. According the Trent it was a pretty big op with multiple teams. Maybe some or all of the old timers went on this op.

Too new to have been part of it? Maybe you read a case file or studied it in a class at the SPEAR academy. Maybe you got your own uppity opinions on what the old timers could have done better.
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness:9(4) +4 armor
Skills:
Notice d4
Athletics: d6
Tradecraft: d6
Fighting: d8
Kindreth

Post by Kindreth »

Trent wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:13 am Trent looks up at Julie's question about whose done an op in a snow storm. Up till now he had been remotly playing with the stewardess call button timing her to see how fast she could really get to the team if their was enough need. After switching the button off he pipes up, ” Yeah... Two ops for me in the snow. First one, the entire team except for me was left buried under several tons of glacial ice.” Trent visible pales when he mentions it. But ever the trooper and a guy with more stories than esop he continues, ”The second was an all hands on deck kind of SPEAR op. Operation Broken Arrow... Half a dozen SPAER teams such as ourselves all converging on a compound of militia that had smuggled in a few nukes stateside. Word was they had help, we could never prove anything, but I suspected ARES. Yeah it was a snow blind to say the least. I was covering my team up top with one of my drones, I had outfitted my drone to cut through the worst of the snow, but still it was hard to make out anything in great detail... Seemed easy at first, all teams converging at the same time. Little resistance... But that was when shit really hit the fan.” Trent grows quiet as it seems the snow held no favors for him.
Operation Broken Arrow
Feel free to add to the story I intentionally left it on a cliff hanger. According the Trent it was a pretty big op with multiple teams. Maybe some or all of the old timers went on this op.

Too new to have been part of it? Maybe you read a case file or studied it in a class at the SPEAR academy. Maybe you got your own uppity opinions on what the old timers could have done better.
Julie's eyebrows went up of their own accord when Trent mentioned Broken Arrow. "You were a part of that charlie foxtrot, huh? That thing was ugly. My team was on standby for that one, but I heard the stories." She feels a tiny, involuntary shudder go down her back, but ignores it. Lots of body bags after Broken Arrow.

"Alright, @Trent, since you've worked in a whiteout before, you'll be my huckleberry on this one. Visibility will suck, the wind will play tricks on your hearing, and your fingers and eyelashes will start to freeze within a couple of minutes. I'm going to need you and your drone to give me as much information as possible as early as possible once we touch down. You'll be my battle buddy today; where I go, you go, and if you can't keep up, your drone goes."

Thoughts of Broken Arrow still sticking in her head, she tells the rest of the team, "Everyone else, pair up with a battle buddy. You watch your battle buddy's back out there, and she'll watch yours. I've read all your personnel files, but now's probably a good time for the rest of you to get up to speed on our capabilities.

I'll go first: I'm an ESP. Sometimes, I can see big things before they happen, but usually it's small stuff. Helps me avoid getting shot, and helps me direct traffic out there. Most of the rest of you have more active specialties and abilities; feel free to share."
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

"I am MIGHTY," Keiko declaimed from where she sat. "I have a GLOW you cannot SEE! I have a heart as big as the MOON! As warm as BATHWATER! I am a JUSTICE SANDWICH! No toppings necessary! Do you catch my drift?!"

"Do. You. Dig?"
Kindreth

Post by Kindreth »

Keiko wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm "I am MIGHTY," Keiko declaimed from where she sat. "I have a GLOW you cannot SEE! I have a heart as big as the MOON! As warm as BATHWATER! I am a JUSTICE SANDWICH! No toppings necessary! Do you catch my drift?!"

"Do. You. Dig?"
Julie cracks a smile at Keiko's animated description. "Our resident illusionist, people. If you ask nicely, I think she does birthday parties on the side."
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

Keiko slapped her forehead.

"You make it sound so lame!" she complained. "Look. It goes a little something...like this."

She unhooked her harness and stood up in the center of the aisle, then put a hand to the collar of her flight suit. She tore it away with one yank downward, revealing a Victorian-era formal suit, in bright purple and lavender. From behind her back she produced a huge top hat in the same shades and put it on her head with a little flippy flourish.

Over the sound of the jet engines, the sound of music rose up. She grinned widely, her mouth and eyes pulling into just pleased slits, and a pair of fluffy red foxtails wiggled out from the waistline of her pants to sweep to and fro behind her, keeping the rhythm.

"Come with me,
And you'll be,
In a world of pure imagination.
Take a look,
And you'll see,
Into your imagination."

As she sang in a rather pleasant voice, Keiko moved forward, and with a sweep of her arm the plane...changed. The sides flattened, and seemed to melt down until they were barely waist high. The ceiling pulled back and away and was lost behind everyone. Outside, instead of stormy skies, was golden sunlight and sapphire air.

"We'll begin,
With a spin,
Traveling in,
a world of my creation.
What we'll see,
Will defy explanation."

The front of the plane retracted and pulled back and bunched itself into a very snubby little nose cap, and it suddenly became clear where everyone was really sitting. On some kind of very large roller coaster car! The tracks reared up ahead, and the sound of 'ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk' could be heard under the music and the sound of jets alike. The landscape around the roller coaster was...fantastic, almost cartoonish, with garish green grass and people in strange, colorful outfits barely visible on the ground far below. Things like jellyfish scattered through the air above, pulsing in different colors, pursued by flying horses.

Keiko continued forward, arms outstretched, apparently not concerned at all about the turbulence...or was it the curves in the track? It was hard to feel the difference. Shaking was shaking. She harnessed the real movement of the plane expertly, mingling it with visual cues that created an intensely convincing sensation that the roller coaster was plunging at breakneck speeds along a spindly track that led it up and down and all around.

"If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Want to change the world?
There's nothing to it.
There is no,
Life I know,
To compare with pure imagination.
Living there,
You'll be free,
If you truly wish to be."

The outlandishly-clad Keiko doffed her top hat and took a deep bow...then turned to the emergency release hatch, pulled the handle down, twisted it, and pulled it out. The hatch burst open, and with a howl of escaping air Keiko vanished right out of it! The hatch then immediately closed again...and the airplane was back, drab and cold and taciturn.

Applause burst out from the seat Keiko had been sitting in. Or...was still sitting in, apparently. She whistled through her fingers and glanced across the aisle at everyone else.

"I'm so glad we all got tickets together, I saw this on Broadway last tour and it's sooooo good."
Simon CROSS Harris

Post by Simon CROSS Harris »

Cross looks up at the emntion of Snow Ops but says nothing.

The two years across Siberia, the Bering Straight, Alaska, and British Columbia. There was enough Snow Ops in those two years to last a lifetime. If Julie asks, I will offer some insights.

"Wear layers is what it says in the SPEAR ops manual. Just saying."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

listening to everyone talk Marcus is content to stay silent. He felt no need to embarrass himself by his inability to speak as articulately or forcefully as the others. They obviously had more experience than him with a lot of this cold weather stuff. Well at least Cross did, to tell the truth Marcus was more of a Southern boy and he preferred the heat to the cold.

Making sure his suit is done up correctly and he will be able to do the job when they land was going to be a priority.
Bennies 2
Quarterly Reset 3
  • +1 GM Boon for noticing accounting err
    -1 Reroll stealth for submarine
    +1 Never mind, that roll was not needed per the GM.
    -1 Trying to hit that stupid crocodile
    +2 Double Jokers
    -3 Disarm man of rifle and hit him with it.
Marcus (Rob T)
Code Name: Sentinel
Name: Marcus Fallan
Advances:
8 Remaining: 0 Rank: Veteran
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Cha: +0; Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (4) [+4 versus metal] | In Bubble he has 25 (16) [+4 versus metal]
Skills:
  • Athletics d10
  • Common Knowledge d6
  • Fighting d10
  • Investigation d6
  • Notice d6
  • Shooting d10
  • Stealth d10
  • Trade-craft d6
Languages: English, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish

Hindrances:
  • Tongue-Tied (The character often misspeaks or can’t get her words out. –1 to Intimidation, Persuasion, and Taunt rolls.)
  • Hesitant (Draw two Action Cards and take the lowest, except Jokers, which may be kept)
  • Habit (Smoker)
Edges:
  • Arcane Background (Super Powers, free setting rule)
  • Calculating: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties on one action with an Action Card of Five or less
  • Old Timer: The character has seen some stuff. But he has also earned some complications
  • Power Points x3 (The character gains +5 power points, Advance 1, Advance 5, Advance 8)
  • The Best Their Is: The character is allowed to spend 15 points on Matter Control
  • Master: The character may perform power tricks when he uses his power without the -2 penalty. (Advance 6)
  • Dodge: −2 to be hit by ranged attacks.
Powers (25 Power Points)
4 Electromagnetic Awareness (Heightened Senses 3; Infrared Vision, Low Light Vision, Super Sense +2 with Sight, Spacial Awareness +2, Only to sense metals -1)
2 Divided Attention (Extra Action 2, only with Matter Control -1)
1 It Comes Out of Me, and Goes in, No Problem (Resistance to Metal 1)
14 Master of Electromagnetism (Matter Control Metal 7 - d12+5, Toughness 16, 2,500 lbs unencumbered, 5 tons max, Requires Material -2, Range 24")
1 EM Distortion Field (Deflection -2, Requires Activation -1)
3 Ride The Wave (Flight pace x2, Contingent on Master of Metal -1)
Gear
  • (20 Equipment Points)
    TAR-21 (5.56, Range 24/48/96, Damage 2d8, RoF 3, Shots 30, AP 2, Auto, Laser sight)
    Four spare ammo magazines (TAR-21)
    10 Throwing knives (Strength+d4)
    Body Armor (+4, torso only)
    Subvocal Commlink
    Encrypted Smartphone
    Reinforced tablet
    Lighter and cigarettes
    Sneaking suit (Stealth +1)
    1.5 tons of metal ball bearings
Power Tricks = Free for Marcus
When a power affects a target, either as an attack or a resisted effect, a hero may use any of the Power Tricks below by describing the action and taking a –2 penalty to the active skill (or the victim adds +2 to his resistance roll if there is no active roll on the part of the attacker, like fear). If successful, the power works as usual and the Trick chosen from the list below is triggered as well.
Any effect may be used at any time with a good rationale and the Game Master’s permission—a character doesn’t have to choose the same effect each time. Exactly how it works is a matter of description. Lower Defenses might mean encircling the target in smoky blackness via energy control (darkness) so that he can’t see incoming attacks. A radiation blast (ranged attack) might cause dizziness (Lower Trait for Agility) or weakness (Vigor). Or an earthquake might setup a villain for a follow-up ranged attack. It’s all in the description.
  • Delay: The victim must trade his current Action Card with the next character lower than him (he can’t trade with a character on Hold). If the victim already acted this round, the trade occurs on the following round unless the target gets the Joker (which negates the effect).
  • Lower Defenses: The target’s Parry is lowered by 2 until his next action. This is simply a different way to successfully perform the Trick maneuver (see Savage Worlds), so it does not stack with a regular Trick.
  • Lower Trait: One of the target’s attributes and all linked skills suffer a –2 penalty on his next action.
  • Setup: Allies get a +2 bonus against the victim until his next action.
  • Slow: The target’s Pace is halved on his next action.
Keiko

Post by Keiko »

"Oh my god," Keiko muttered. "You guys are the worst. All of you."

She folded her arms and leaned back in her seat and sulked.

Return to “Archive”