The Cobalt Nightclub (RP Area)

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

The Cobalt Nightclub (RP Area)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

{description}
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Digit Havoc

Re: The Cobalt Nightclub (RP Area)

Post by Digit Havoc »

An older man sits in the corner, alone, at a table which wobbles slightly any time he shifts his weight. He has a strange cybernetic implant on the sides of his head of unusual design: a cord runs from it down to his lower forearm which ends abruptly into a cybernetic hand.

Otherwise, the man is fairly nondescript. He has some scars visible around his right eye, but he's neither particularly well built nor emaciated. His hair is surprisingly uniformly black, and present, for a man of his age. He stares into the distance, but you get the feeling that he is acutely aware of his surroundings.

If you had any doubt that he belonged in the Cobalt Nightclub, it is immediately dispelled by the one thing about him that does unnerve you. He is using a vibro scalpel embedded in his cyberhand to play knives...with his own, human hand. He varies the speed, sometimes slow enough a child could avoid injury from a mis-stab. Other times, the scalpel moves faster than the human eye can discern, and he never once looks down at his hand.

When you approach, the older man stops and retracts the vibro scalpel. He extends his arm as if to shake your hand, and the hand detaches from his forearm. It begins to move on its own accord, and it comes to you, holding itself up as if it wants to clasp your hand in a handshake.

The old man makes air quotes with his remaining hand and says, "My 'legal' name is Digit Havoc. Call me Diggy. I liberated your and our...co-workers' files from our mutual friend. I'm your tech guy. You're an interesting one, aren't you?"
Full Pic_
Digit Havoc
Digit Havoc, Mad Scientist (M.A.R.S Super Soldier)
Pace: 5; Parry: 4 Toughness: 11(5)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • None, Really.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Inventor PP: 0/2
Bennies: 1/3
Edit Signature
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

"Hey now, Mag, you know I can't let you bounce no more, not after last time with those two Rock Eaters ..."

Tice had his hands up, a picture of non-violence, but Magnus could see his eyes straying to the panic button that would fill the entryway with 50,000 volts of go away, which was sure to ruin his mood any probably require him to get his mods recalibrated, to boot.

"Settle Tice, not here to bounce. Just a customer," Magnus says, slotting his credit stick into the turnstile outside the Cobalt and watching as the display flashes down 20 credits for the cover. Titanium cables twist underneath the tattooed skin of his forearm as he pats the other man on the shoulder, then slips a couple of caps of buzzer into Tice's coat pocket. "For later. No hard feelings."

Magnus moves on, turning sideways to slip his broad frame through the single steel door of the club. Lines of neon LED light up along the walls, pointing toward the bar and the dance floor before melting into pictogram advertisements for drink specials and various ... intimate ... services offered in the private lounges.

Wonder if Josie's working, he thinks, picturing the silver-haired waitress. A real technophile, she'd loved to hear about all of Magnus's cybernetic enhancements. He'd always been happy to show off ... but he'd been too busy to come see her lately, trying to pay off his debt to Black Benny.

That was why he was here, of course, rustling up some work outside the pits. After that last fight and the money he'd lost for the Rooks, it made sense to lie low for a bit, let them cool down before sticking himself into the ring with a bunch of murderers unnecessarily. He had Twinkle put the word out, and soon enough some fixer named Skip dropped a message, looking for muscle. And that, Magnus had in bulk.

There's just one other person in the back room when Magnus arrives, an old guy with some tech sticking out of his head and a cybered hand on the end of one arm. The hand pops off and walks over to say hello.

"Cute. I assume you've taught it some other tricks?" Magnus says, shaking the hand before taking a seat. Spotting a bottle of less-than-lethal-looking booze on the table, he helps himself to a glass and pours, the pistons on the back of his hand clicking as he as tips the bottle.

Gonna have to get that looked at. I think I bent a pin on Connie's face or something, he thinks, then grins.

"Any idea how much this job's supposed to pay?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)
Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

Digit havoc smiles as the drone hand crosses the table and reattaches itself to the mad scientist's forearm. When it does, the cyberhand's fingers extend and bend backwards to remove a thick plate over the top of what seems like its power source. Diggy removes a tiny screwdriver from his cyberhand and makes a few minor adjustments. Then he returns the small screwdriver, and the extended fingers securely fasten the plate back into place before retracting to their normal positioning.

He holds the cyberhand's palm out towards Magnus and spreads its fingers wide. A barely audible buzzing, electrical sound can be heard when arcs of electricity suddenly begin playing between his fingertips.

Diggy smiles and says, "I teach it new tricks every day, Magnus. Technology can do anything if you have a mind to bend it to your will. It is mankind's greatest weapon and our salvation."

He closes his hand and the electricity stops. He tells magnus, "These implants are of my own design, but I am no cyberdoc. Still, a machine is a machine. I could fix that hand easily enough, but I don't work free. As to the matter of our payment for this job, I suppose it depends on how many of our friends show up. People in this line of work tend to be fickle, after all."
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

His driving specs would be useful here. The glow and flash of neon strikes a sharp contrast to the otherwise low lighting. But the well dressed man, Edwin Fisk, already draws attention by virtue of his looks. He doesn't need to pull more eyes by wearing shades in a club. He cases the joint once, twice, and a third time. Nice trick with the hand. he thinks to himself, his eyes scanning the room, but not missing a detail of Havoc's table. I'll be damned. Magnus the Red's in on this? Wonder if he's gonna throw this one or come through. Guess it's not a pure finesse job. Jaina wasn't really specific. Now I know why. He orders a drink, then proceeds to put the glass to his lips and not sip. Gotta stay sharp. Don't need alcohol to dull the reflexes.
The wheelman gives one more look around the club, then makes his way over to his two new co-workers, so it seems. "Edwin Fisk. Looks like we have business together." He nods at Diggy, then turns to Magnus. "Red. Had a feeling about your last fight. Got a solid tip from a can't-miss, but you always seem to buck the odds...at least enough." He offers a wry smile, then moves to grab a seat, one which gives him the best view of the entrances. "I'm hoping we can work this underhanded deal on the up-and-up, yeah? Throwing this one might sour us with the wrong people." He raises his glass in a toast, then proceeds to, again, not drink.
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post
Toughness: 11 (4)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 6
Bennies: 4 (FFTB)

Pertinent Edges: Ambidextrous, Quick, Strong WIlled, Brave, Scrounger, Ace, Elan, Charismatic, Attractive

Current Armament:
Right Hand: N/A
Left Hand: N/A
Vehicle Status
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

"Not like you to get bad intel, Fisk," Magnus says, returning the smile. "As for throwing, I just do what I'm paid to do. This guy, Skip, wants me to throw someone, I'll just ask 'how far?' Say, you ever work with this guy before? Sounds like he's pulling in a big crew, so I reckon the job's a big one, too. Hope the same goes for the paycheck."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk grins. "Are you kidding me? I made a killing on that fight. I figured if the tip was that solid, you were gonna last another round or two at least. Nothing in the rules that says the fighter can't bet on himself. Or against, but later."
He mimes a sip of his drink. "Word on Skip...isn't much, sad to say. Still, if my contact sent me this job, it can't be that bad. She never steers me wrong." He scans the club again. "How many more did we get lined up? Anyone know? And where are they?"
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Pertinent Edges: Ambidextrous, Quick, Strong WIlled, Brave, Scrounger, Ace, Elan, Charismatic, Attractive

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

"Edwin. It's been a while. It lightens an old man's heart to see a professional on the job," Diggy says when Edwin joins them.

He reaches into one of the pockets of the long coat draped over the back of his chair and pulls out a small portable computer. He flicks through it until he finds the files he's looking for.

Reading through the pilfered files, Diggy answers Edwin's question, "It looks like there should be eight of us total. Expensive. If not, this is a waste of my time. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, though, so I'll let them introduce themselves properly. Unfortunately, not everyone is as punctual as you are."
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk nods at Diggy. "Heard someone say once, 'Early is on time, and on time is late.' Guy probably never had to time an ISS air patrol on his blockade run. Early gets you just as pinched as late."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Temperance
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Temperance »

"The Cobalt? Really?", Temperance had sounded more than a little incredulous when she had taken the call. It wasn't that the club was a bad spot for a meet, it more like a terrible place. Too few exits, lack of decent white-noise generators, and the likelihood of getting caught up in some random unrelated violence. Was it too much to ask that a meeting take place over a decent meal in a nice restaurant sometimes? Ah well at least it wasn't a deserted parking lot. Those meets were always a lottery. Whoever the pay-check was, they clearly wanted somewhere whey wouldn't be observed. But the promised pay sounded good. If she was ever gonna take the next step up the ladder in this town, she was going to need money, and lots of it.
The club is as bad as she remembers. The rhythmic thump of the music and flashing lights weren't going to help with spotting anything off with the meet. The bouncers on the door hadn't given her any problems, a smile a slight flick of her hair, leaning in to breathily ask the dumb idiot how the action was tonight in the club and he'd just waved her through. She thought she heard him shout something about getting off at two, and she was sure she felt his eyes still on her back so she added a little sashay to her walk, not too much, just enough to leave an impression. "Who knows when I might need some talent for a job", she thought to herself.

The club was half empty, too early for a lot of the crowd, though there was a knot of youngsters down on the dance floor. Not street kids those. The style was right, but they were slightly too well dressed, clothes slightly too new and too perfect. "Probably rich kids slumming it down here for the thrills. Stupid. Place like this is dangerous, especially for naive kids like them". She briefly contemplates that she had never been quite so naive. Joining the military young, she'd grown up quickly. Seen things those kids never would, and would probably never believe we're real if she were to tell them.

She moved over to the bar, eyeing up the girl as she attracted her attention. Pretty enough, but a little too thin, like most of the people down here on level 4. But god bless her she was trying, maybe too hard. Short skirt, low cut top, slightly too much make-up, Temperance wondered if serving bar was the kknly service she offered to the customers.

She ordered a light beer. Not her usual choice, but tonight she was working. "Need too keep a clear head not the night for making rash decisions", she thought to herself leaning against the bar and surveying the room. There was one unusual group in one of the booths, they looked like locals alright, but somehow they didn't look like they were here for the club. . .
Abigail "Temperance" Williams
Character Details
Character Sheet
Bennies: 4/5
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Edges: Attractive, Charismatic, Healer, Nerves of Steel, Brave, Strong Willed

Edit Signature
Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

"Hmm. Much more beautiful in person," Diggy says as he nods slightly towards where Temperance was ordering a beer at the bar.

Then he continues speaking, "I believe our fourth member has arrived. A younger man than myself might be overly excited. Let's be professionals, shall we, gentlemen?"
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Standing up from his seat at the far end of the bar Harris walks up to Temperance, his gait slow and hobbled by his bum left leg. He faces the bartender and places his half finished drink down, pushing it to the bartender indicating he was finished with it. Nodding his head towards the fixer "I'll have what she's having."

On receiving his new drink he turns and leans on the bar next to the fixer. Watered down cola and whiskey with ice from a machine that probably ain't been cleaned since Old Joe was still around. What was I thinking? You got the right idea here, unopened bottles. He gives her a charming smile and continues, Also, while a mix drink does give a more dignified air.. He looks pointedly at the private booth where the beginnings of the team are sitting. "It would be lost, and perhaps a counter productive approach with some of our perspective teams mates. Harris Lavode, good to meet you Temperance. The hand he extends has the barcode marking him as a registered psi.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3

Edit Signature
Temperance
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Temperance »

Used to picking up on the small details, the significance of the tattoo is not lost on Temperance. Her warm expressive brown eyes meet LaVode's assessing the man. Unlike a lot of the people working the shadows, she had no problem with psychics. They were people too after all, and all the scaremongering about them stealing the minds of poor helpless people was just that scaremongering. Anyone firm in their resolve could resist and break their hold on you.

"Mr LaVode, I do not believe I have previously had the pleasure.", she takes his hand and shakes it. "Do you know how many we are expecting?" She sips her beer, eyes occasionally flickering to the door, and around the club. It tastes slightly too sweet, no doubt due to the reduced alcohol content, but it was at least cold, and likely to be uncontaminated.
Character Details
Character Sheet

Edit Signature
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Still half watching the door as he engaged in conversation "I've only been on this side of things a couple of years and most of my jobs have been thru Skip. Well, all really and most of it has been pre op logistics for other peoples jobs or similar PI type stuff. Decent pay, not much rep." Sipping his beer while his eyes flick back and forth over the crowd. "As to the crew, eight of us total. Still two muscle and.. a wild card left to show up. I hear you normally set up things like this, what brings you to the active side?" Part of him questioned Skip hiring eight people for a simple B&E but his employer seemed to have a knack for putting together the right team for the job.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4/Cobalt Nightclub
Night
Round 0

Zeke stopped as a dog boy patrol wandered by. He held his breath, feeling the tingle of the concealment spell hiding his magic from them. The didn’t seem particular observant tonight. While this was a bad neighborhood, no one was dumb enough to mess with a dog pack. Zeke started to move again when the pack’s psi-stalker handler paused and turned. Was he looking at Zeke? Act natural! The psi-stalker turned back, barking an order to the pack, and they picked up their pace. Seemed they wanted to get this patrol over with, grab some chow, and hit the racks.

Zeke understood. He yawned slightly. These late nights after working at his mother’s corner bodega were going to kill him. Zeke wanted to be back in Clover Heights. Without him patrolling, Tres Reyes was going to be free to roust up mischief.

But a young man couldn’t be a superhero every night. More pressing concerns had reared their head. The supe was leaning on them again, trying to raise the rent. Zeke had a mind to let his alter ego visit the supe and put the fear of God in the man, but he bet it was pressure from Tres Reyes for protection money that was forcing the man’s hand.

And so when Tanya had mentioned a possible job, Zeke had reluctantly accepted it. Turns out one of her patients got himself busted up after a “sure thing” bet turned bad and had to find replacement muscle for a job.

Zeke gave a wry chuckle and then a wheezing cough. He’d never considered himself muscle. Sure, he was bigger for his size, kept in shape, but really only average strength. And asthmatic. He took a puff on his inhaler, just in case. No sense getting nervous and having an attack. He checked the level on his meds. He needed to get more from Tanya.

Zeke pulled his hoodie up some more and headed into the club. He really couldn’t afford the cover charge. He would have to go without lunch this week. But if the promised payout on this job was real -- even a fraction real -- he and his mother wouldn’t have rent problems for a long time.

Zeke nodded to the bouncer at that door. No one really cared down on level four what age you were, as long as you paid the cover. Zeke’s ears throbbed with the loud beat of the music. Nervously his fingers moved in the pockets of his hoodie, practicing the movements of the spells he had learned, his lips silently muttering the arcane phrases. He had to admit he was still a novice at this magic thing.

Zeke went to the bar. “Soda water and lemon,” he ordered. That got him an annoyed look from the bartender. Zeke smiled sheepishly.

“Only because you’re cute,” the tattooed and pierced bar lady said.

“Thank you.” Zeke decided to scan her a tip anyway, though he really couldn’t afford it.

Zeke turned and made his way through the crowd, avoiding too much jostling. He had been told which table would be reserved for their little group, so he approached the small gathering there, taking in the old man with the cyber everywhere, the imposing looking man-mountain with the long hair who appeared normal, the clean cut man.

“Hello,” Zeke said. He coughed nervously and cursed himself.

The young man standing before the trio couldn’t be more than twenty, if he was lucky. He wore a black hoodie with a grey V pattern on the front, and jeans and old black combat boots. A long black coat draped over the hoodie and jeans. He pushed his hood back to reveal messy blond hair, blue eyes, and a few days growth of facial hair. He gave a nervous smile.

“Little John couldn’t make it, so Skip sent me,” Zeke said, as if that explained everything. “He got on the wrong side of El Jefe.” He knew he looked a poor substitute for the big bruiser, but what he lacked in muscle he made up for in smarts and...other talents.

One hand nervously ran through spellcasting in his pocket. The other nervously touched the neural mace and ion blaster hanging inside the coat. One didn’t walk around Level 4 without some way to defend oneself, and casually tossing magic around wasn’t something Zeke could do safely.
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Temperance
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Temperance »

Harris LaVode wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:57 pm Still half watching the door as he engaged in conversation "I've only been on this side of things a couple of years and most of my jobs have been thru Skip. Well, all really and most of it has been pre op logistics for other peoples jobs or similar PI type stuff. Decent pay, not much rep." Sipping his beer while his eyes flick back and forth over the crowd. "As to the crew, eight of us total. Still two muscle and.. a wild card left to show up. I hear you normally set up things like this, what brings you to the active side?" Part of him questioned Skip hiring eight people for a simple B&E but his employer seemed to have a knack for putting together the right team for the job.
"Eight? Seems an odd number. Too many for speed and stealth, too few for a show of force. Must be something unusual.", she plays the variables in her head, not sure she's liking the numbers. Something was nagging at the back of her mind, had she pissed anyone off lately? Anyone who might go to this much trouble to settle a score (or several)?

"Yeah, last couple of years I've tended not to place myself too much in the line of fire. Do that too often you get yourself a reputation as a small time bit player. Someone to be used and discarded when it's convenient. I aim to be more than that, I'm gonna be someone in this town, and I take care of my friends."

"This one just piqued my interest, and a little extra cash is always welcome. I'm not sure whether it's my people management skills I'm here for, or whether I'm med-evac in case everything goes sideways". It was no idle boast. Temperance knew there were very few battle hardened field medics in the talent pool. God knows she'd tried to find some for jobs in the past. She'd usually ended up going herself, made her feel alive if she was honest with herself.

"On that note, are we on expenses or does that all come out of our end? The call was a little cryptic on the matter, and some of my suppplies don't come cheap".

She watched as a younger man moved across to the table where the meet was due to go down, trying to read him. Seemed to be a little slight for muscle, must be the wild-card LaVode had referred to.

"Know him?", she nodded toward the newcomer.
Character Details
Character Sheet

Edit Signature
Joey aka: Fat Joey
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Joey aka: Fat Joey »

Joey is relaxing in his latest hidey hole, some run down no question motel on level 4. He is looking online for work. He has been sending out feelers with his contacts. As he finishes checking, there is a ping from his radar. Someone is moving to his door. Joey gets up alot faster than his bulk should allow, checks the eyehole as he draws his hand cannon. There is a moment of blackness , then just a clear hallway. Opening the door, he notices a small package on the floor in front of his door.

Waiting for moment to let his cyber warn if trouble or not, Joey scans the hallway with his canine senses.With bad guys or trouble detected, he grabs the box and returns into his room. Contained in the box is a chip, the same type as used in his skillport. As he waits for the system to sync with his cyber, Joey takes a seat on the bed and gets comfy. Within seconds, the info flashes across his cyber eye HUD. There is a place and time for a meet. The Cobalt Nightclub….soon. Joey shuts down the info, grabs his gear and heads out.

As Joey approaches the bar, many wannabe tough guys see him and think twice. After all he is FAT Joey for a reason. With a chuckle he walks straight to the front of the line. After a momentary stare down with the bouncer, he enters. Using his cyber he scans the room, looking for his contacts. Seeing a couple who match the pictures on the chip, he approaches the table. Upon reaching it, he nods ”I am Joey. I was contacted by a “friend”, who said there may be work available. If you need muscle or a good lookout, I am your dog.” With that he takes a seat.
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

The upside of meeting in a place like the Cobalt was everyone else was usually too busy drinking, dancing, getting high, and trying to hook up to pay much attention to folks like himself. One of the downsides is that to anyone even half paying attention it was obvious the group wasn't there to party. So Harris continue to sweep the crowd with his eyes looking for any unexpected operators or ISS undercovers. Even if the UCs were there for stuff like a drug sting their group could draw attention.

When Temperance talks of being someone Harris nods in agreement. "Likewise, but I think that getting ones feet wet and building a rep and contacts means doing work like this unless one is somehow connected already"
Temperance wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 am "On that note, are we on expenses or does that all come out of our end? The call was a little cryptic on the matter, and some of my suppplies don't come cheap".
Patting one of the side pockets of his overcoat. "Once our last couple of coworkers get here, I have an encrypted holocom to call him with so we can work out the details. I find the crew size a bit odd too. Not the first time that on a hunch he's hired on what I thought to be more hands than needed and it worked out to a tee. Sometimes I swear he's a better precog than I am." Also somewhat strange to the detectives experience with the fixer thus far, but then this was Harris' first job that involved more than a couple of people.
Temperance wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:19 am She watched as a younger man moved across to the table where the meet was due to go down, trying to read him. Seemed to be a little slight for muscle, must be the wild-card LaVode had referred to.

"Know him?", she nodded toward the newcomer.
Zeke, the wild card, a wizard in Chi-Town. How much to tell about him? Being in a similar boat socially in the end Harris decides to leave things vague.
"The kid is Zeke, he's the wild card I mentioned. His skills are eclectic, Skip suggested him as muscle but he may have other uses. The big dog boy at the door is also obviously one of ours, one Fat Joey. Good lookout and can probably take a beating as well as Magnus. All we're missing now is a covert ops guy named Kincade." When Temp arches a brow at his knowledge of the team he explains. "My last job for Skip was confirming the recommendations and "work" history of the team he was putting together."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Kincaid sipped at the whiskey in his hand. Watered-down and lightly-alcoholic pisswater would have been a more accurate name - but hard to fit on the bottles! He grinned at his mental joke even as he forced himself to swallow the swill. He didn't need the buzz - and it took a LOT to get him drunk, actually - but it passed the time and helped him blend in as much as he could.

His cybernetic eyes focused in on the various people as he scanned the room, and data scrolled past his field of vision telling him what he saw, heard and sensed. He even got a readout of what was behind him. All part of the package. Kincaid snorted softly and shook his head. Cybernetics were the only edge he had in a world full of juicers, crazies, dragons, magic and more. Well, that and high-quality training and instincts!

He watched as the 'crew' filtered in one by one. The only person who'd been here before Kincaid had arrived was the old man who loved the sound of his old-ass voice. 'Digit Havoc' indeed. Kincaid had made his way to a table along one wall unseen while the man played with his hand - not a euphemism - and set up shop like he was there to get drunk. He liked to get a lay of the land before anything might go down. Didn't always work, and couldn't always be done, but it was preferred. Gettin' paranoid in your old age, grunt.

Finally, he stood up and made his way over to the table where most of the group was gathering. "Finally, the gang's all here. I'm Kincaid. I'm your box man."
Kincaid
Character Summary
Cybernetic Techno-Warrior

Active effects:

Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(4)
Weapon in hand: NG Equalizer and TX-26 Particle Beam Pistol; Vibro-Blade Vambraces

Edges: Ambidextrous, Brave, Danger Sense, Elan, Quick, Thief, Two-Fisted.

Cybernetics: Core Electronics Package, Cyber-Wired Reflexes, Expanded Detection and Security Array, Lockpick Fingers, Nano-Repair System, Optics Package, Range Data System, Reinforced Frame (2), Targeting Eye.

Charisma: 0
Bennies: 0

Wounds:

Currently playing in: Shattered Dreams
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Zeke turned as two more joined them, a cybered up dog boy and another older man with cyber eyes, who introduced themselves.

“Well met,” Zeke greeted.

Then he caught sight of a beautiful blonde at the bar. She seemed to be eying him. Zeke gave a shy smile, pushing his hand through his unruly blonde hair nervously. Was she something to be wary of? Was she ISS undercover? She was really attractive, but she turned her attention away to the scruffy guy sitting beside her at the bar. Zeke felt a little...disappointed, but he pushed that aside to focus on the people he would be working with for this job.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Looking over the small crowd for undercovers one last time Harris turns to the fixer beside him with a smile. "Well, the gangs all here, shall we. He pauses a second before taking the lead, underworld etiquette being the opposite of the normal one in this case. Where offering the lead in the straight world is a sign of respect doing so in his new environment looked mistrustful at best, so he steps forward. The limp from his bum leg is obvious and slows him but not ungainly.

Arriving at the teams table Harris gives smiles and nods to everyone. "Fellows. Myself and Miss Temperance here makes eight." He takes a seat while pulling a holo com out of his jacket, making sure he will block the image from the bar patrons as much as possible. "My name is Harris. I'm sure we all have questions. Skip is expecting our call in about 5 minuets tho so we have a moment more for introductions."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Zeke blinked as the beautiful blonde and the rugged man she was talking to at the bar came over to the table and sat down, introducing themselves as Harry and Temperance.

So that’s her name.

Zeke found a seat at the table, glancing at the holocomm in the man’s hand. Expensive tech.

“I guess I should explain a bit,” Zeke said. “Little John got on the wrong side of El Jefe in Tres Reyes. He’s lying out in a shop doc while he recovers. A friend of mine works there, and he got her to ask me if I could fill in.” Zeke shrugged. “I’m not your traditional muscle, but I have other...talents.”

Zeke tapped his fingers on the table, fighting the urge to use his inhaler.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Zeke Walker wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 am “I’m not your traditional muscle, but I have other...talents.”
"S'alright. I think we've got muscle handled," Magnus says, smiling as the cables in his forearm do that thing that always got Josie's eyebrows to jump. He watches to see what kind of response it generates in Temperance, the blonde that's got Zeke so flustered. "'Other talents' are handy, too. Different strokes, you know."

He looks around at the crew assembled.

"The question is, who are we gonna be stroking? And who's paying, and how much, for a happy ending?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Edwin tsks the old man. "I am always professional. Losing focus in this game can get you pinched or killed. Doesn't matter how pretty the face is. It isn't worth lockup or permanent lockdown." He stops short of doing a double-take in Temperance's direction, giving his best professional "nod" her way as she approaches. Not bad though. he thinks. Good thing there are no mind-readers here, right?
He takes an assessing look at each of the arrivals to the table.
That is a big dog. Guess the only fitness he's into is fit'ness food in his mouth. He smirks, but only slightly.
Another old timer. He might be slow, but gray hair is a sign of survival...or cowardice. Hopefully it's the former. He nods in Harris' direction.
Zeke he regards with a quick nod. No cyber. No tech. What kind of wild card is this?
Kincaid has a no nonsense look about him. Professional type. No small bit of cyber. That doesn't come cheap. He must be at least fairly competent. Hope he doesn't have any notes attached to those implants. Those kinds of entanglements complicate things.
He stands as each of the later arrivals approaches the table, and introduces himself. "Edwin Fisk. Good to meet you. Looking forward to it."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Kincaid gave a small nod to Harris and Temperance when they approached and introduced themselves - or rather Harris introduced himself and her as well. He did note that the one called Zeke seemed to be taking a lot of interest in Temperance. What might be quantified as an 'unhealthy interest' this early in a team's history - assuming they ended up staying together after the job. Could be a one-time arrangement. Didn't really matter much to Kincaid - though having a solid and dependable team would be nice, trusting strangers would be hard.

He raised one eyebrow and one corner of his lips as Magnus declared he was the muscle and showed off his cyber-arms. "Other talents come in handy on most jobs to be sure. Muscle is often useful, though not always." He pulled a chair over and sat down in, looking almost instantly relaxed - which he wasn't but he could affect and found it sometimes let people underestimate him.
Kincaid
Character Summary

Active effects:

Weapon in hand: NG Equalizer and TX-26 Particle Beam Pistol; Vibro-Blade Vambraces

Cybernetics: Core Electronics Package, Cyber-Wired Reflexes, Expanded Detection and Security Array, Lockpick Fingers, Nano-Repair System, Optics Package, Range Data System, Reinforced Frame (2), Targeting Eye.

Wounds:

Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

"Nice of you all to stop dicking around and show up," Diggy mutters before speaking up and saying, "Well, as much fun as it is hanging out in this...club with all of you, how about we get this meeting moving forwards? I have things to do, equipment to fix and things to invent."
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Edwin's eyebrow raises slightly in Digit's direction. "Easy, friend. No harm in scouting a meeting first. I did it too. Can't be too careful on a gig like this." He smiles at the new arrivals. "A little bit of prep work makes the job go smoother, I think."
He clears his throat and fake-sips at his drink. "Anyone here besides me do any wheel work? It's good to have backup plans."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Temperance
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Temperance »

"A disparate group indeed", Temperance muses. "A little prickly too, which may cause problems down the line"

"I'm sure we all want to get things hammered out as soon as possible", she says to the older man. "Plenty of legwork to be done before we get started"

"Go on", she says to Fisk. "In answer to your question I can drive a car to get around, but if it comes to me doing the driving on this job we will have much more serious problems. I normally leave that sort of thing to the professionals".

"As for myself I shall be offering my services in 'people management', diversions, equipment sourcing, and if necessary field medic. But god help you if I have to come back and drag your sorry wounded asses out. I'm led to believe you're all professionals, do not disappoint me gentlemen".
Character Details
Character Sheet

Edit Signature
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Kincaid's eyes tracked over to the old man with the cigar. Cranky old asshole? Check.
Shifted his eyeline to the the kid eye-banging the woman. Awkward horny kid or hopeless romantic, or both? Check.
His eyes flicked over to Fisk. A professional but whether consummate or not remains to be seen. Still, driver's are great to have in this hellhole, so check.
He inwardly grinned at Magnus though his face stayed impassive. "That guy's a tough SOB, I've heard of him. Muscle? Extra check.
He stiffened ever so slightly upon seeing a Dog Boy. Shades of a former military life and all-too-common-sight but he unclenched and restrained his instincts. Sniffer? Check, but watch him.
The woman laid out what sounded like a shortened, practiced resume and either was very skilled or trying hard to make herself sound indispensable. Time will tell.

He cleared his throat lightly. "Recon is always a good rule of thumb, top five of the rules." He gave a nod. "But we should likely get a move on in the near future."
Kincaid
Character Summary

Active effects:

Wounds:

Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Lighting a nic-stik Harris gives Digi a friendly smile, "This must be more lucrative, or maybe interesting, than those things then for you to be here." To the group, "I'm an ex-ISS detective so my skills are..varied. Unfortunately bribe taking is of limited use as a civilian tho, so the job didn't prepare me too well for the world." Letting the joke set a second, he continues. "If no one's feeling chatty then lets get to it." Reaching out he pushes the send button on the holocom.

? for GM
Did you want to drop a meet with Skip? I suppose I should have asked sooner. Sorry. Anyway, Ring Ring
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Harris LaVode wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 am "Unfortunately bribe taking is of limited use as a civilian tho, so the job didn't prepare me too well for the world."
"Don't sell yourself short," Magnus says, slapping a large hand on LaVode's shoulder. "Some of the best referees I know take bribes. We make it through this thing and there's enough of you left to still wear a striped jersey, I'll introduce you to some folks, maybe make some money together."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk grins. "Just make sure you cut us in on which round you plan to buck the odds and the fall, Red. My bigger takes were always betting you weren't throwing the fight like the street said you would." He raises his drink to the fighter. "Bet there aren't many matches you'd lose if you didn't choose to."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Edwin Fisk wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 pm Fisk grins. "Just make sure you cut us in on which round you plan to buck the odds and the fall, Red. My bigger takes were always betting you weren't throwing the fight like the street said you would." He raises his drink to the fighter. "Bet there aren't many matches you'd lose if you didn't choose to."
"You're not wrong. Some of these chumps just make it so hard to look believable. I mean, you saw the match last month with Cortez? That pansy-ass smacked me back-handed when he was supposed to hit me with a right hook. I had to bounce my head off his knee just to get a little blood on the floor. Amateurs.

Then he catches a glimpse of Josie working the bar and grins. "But you know, my experience has been that credits spend better than ego. And ladies like a big spender better than a cash-strapped jack-ass who gets on the wrong side of the mob, you know?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk snickers. "Blood? I thought you were going to blow his knee out with that head-butt. Dicey business walking that line with the powers that be. There's only so much you can control. When you run into others that don't exhibit the same level of professionalism, it starts creeping into your own world. Imagine being on the run because the other guy messed up." He shudders and shakes his head. "I'd work alone when possible, but this job doesn't seem like it's a one man operation to begin with. At least the crew looks competent." He shoots a quick side-eye at Zeke, though likely no one notices. "Mostly."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

Digit sighs and rolls his eyes then grumbles, "Yes, recon. Like the few cameras feeds I'm privy to in this club? And the files I just happen to have here in my computer. And I even managed to do it all in a timely fashion. But it's not like we're on the job yet. I'm sure I can expect nothing but professionalism then, yes?"

"On a positive note, it does seem like we have a wide range of skillsets. Maybe too wide for a simple smash and grab, but I'm just an old crotchety man, so don't mind me," he says.
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk shakes his head at the old man. "You can't have too wide a range of skills unless it's so wide you don't have what you need. Even a simple smash and grab benefits from added skills when something inevitably goes wrong, and you have to improvise." He chuckles. "But I won't mind you. Rather have your skillset with us than otherwise." He tips his drink up to Digit, then sets it on the table.
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post

Current Armament:
Vehicle Status
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Magnus raises his own glass to the two.

"Planning's good, but I haven't been in a fight yet where everything went according to script. We'll see how everyone does when we're making shit up on the fly ... you figure out quick who you can rely on when the blood's pumping and you're back-to-back in a room with not enough walls and too many guns pointing in."

He grins. "That's when it really gets fun."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Digit Havoc

Post by Digit Havoc »

Diggy slaps his cyberhand on the table and points at Magnus with his meat hand then says, "Now this one I like! Punctual, a good head on his shoulders, and he can go punch things. Always good to be on a team with some proper muscle. Gives me time to do my thing."
Digit Havoc
  • None, Really.
Edit Signature

Return to “Adventure Forum”