Interim Feedback Request - Adventure 1

Snake Eyes
Game Master

Interim Feedback Request - Adventure 1

Post by Snake Eyes »

Now that adventure 1 is pretty much wrapped up and in the books, I humbly request feedback on how things went. Should the tug of war with Mondain have seen me throw some WC / GM bennies to stretch out the challenge, or did it go on long enough, thankyouverymuch? Did I give you too much loot? Too little? Would you rather RP and adventure all the way back to the castle? Should I have thrown more enemies at you? Fewer? OH MY GOSH, use a smaller map next time?
I run this for fun. I'm enjoying GMing for adults (and Derrick) and my aim is for you to enjoy seeing the "New Post" indicator on the 12th AAT light up. I'm not fragile and welcome feedback on how to make it more entertaining.
Thanks!

Christian / Setnaja / Snake Eyes
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
Gaspard Gillead

Re: Interim Feedback Request - Adventure 1

Post by Gaspard Gillead »

I had a blast. In particular, the final fight was grim and challenging, but not completely overwhelming--well done, there. Having Mondain spend personal bennies to push against us would've made sense (I usually keep criteria for NPC bennies in my notes, so that I have some idea of when and where they're likely to spend them), but GM bennies, specifically, are for making the encounter more fun in general, and I think you achieved that just fine as it was.

I'm totally happy on the loot front. If someone feels they got too much, I'd straight-up suggest "spending" your share on charitable works, or forging contacts, or even just raucous partying when we get back to Hope (or earlier, if we stop off).

As for RP/Adventure on the way back, well, that's a matter of plot. We've got our Open Chat for RP, so that fix is always available for those who have some spare time to post. Epilogue encounters and such aren't really needed, unless you want to set something up in terms for the next adventure (or even foreshadow further out, if you've got plans that extend that long).

In general, then, I've had a blast, and don't see many big-picture places where you need improvement.

I do have one strong suggestion, and it is indeed map-related. Map size isn't an issue for me, so long as you lay them out fairly coherently. But with so many individuals on the map (including additional summons on both sides), it becomes very tricky to determine who is who. Including names in the initiative queue, next to their avatars, would've made things a LOT clearer.

Also, on the subject of initiative: PCs invest in particular Edges because they want those abilities to be emphasized--for this reason, I'm generally disinclined to agree with folks calling for full-group inits. The guy who drops three Edges on Quick and Improved Level-Headed shouldn't be hamstrung (or pulling forward) the guy who picked Monologuer.

Allied NPCs should usually be tagged to a particular PC--if there's someone who is just hooking up with the group for a bit and you want to participate in combat, then give their stat bloc to one of the players (whichever character it seems most likely for them to want to associate with) and they can get posts in on the same time as that character.

For enemy NPCs, on the other hand, it's usually fine to cluster them--you should never really need to flip more than two or three cards for the baddies, and three would be rare. This gives you fairly discrete groupings--often just, "Fast PCs, NPCs, Slow PCs", which frees up posting order a lot without completely nerfing character design.
Gaspard Gillead
Seasoned D'Norr Shifter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d12, Spirit d10, Strength d4 (d8 in armor), Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 17 (8); Strain: 0; Corruption: 0
Skills:
Spellcasting d12; Fighting d4; Athletics d4
Academics d8; Research d10; Common Knowledge d6; Occult d8
Persuasion d6 (Free Re-roll, -1 outside Occult circles); Notice d6; Stealth d4
Edges: Charismatic, Horns, Bind the Summoned, Spell Mastery (Interrogation); Ley Line Magic Mastery; Ley Line Phasing; Ley Line Gate; Sense Rifts; Shift Reality; Linguist; Diabolist; Strong-Willed; Psychotically Brave; Investigator
Hindrances: Quirk (Sweet Tooth); Minor Enemy (Toben Heiros); Code of Honor; Sensitive; Alien Physiology; Disconnected
Powers (Personal): Return From Whence You Came; Mystic Armory; Mana Chill; Authority; Wings of the Demon; Mystic Interrogation; From Darkness Born; Rapid Transit; Expanded Awareness
Powers (Gear, no Modifiers): Nightmode, Magnification, Wall of Flame (May Use Damage Modifier), Universal Translator, Fortify Will (may use Greater Boost Modifier)
Special: Communication Rift; Dimension Sense
Gear
Soulguard (+2 Resistance to Corruption/mind control; Fortify Will Power)
Combat Mage Heavy EBA (+6A/+3T, +2 Strength Die-types)
Vibro-Knife (Str + d4 MD, AP 6)
Rift Staff (Str + d6, Parry +1, Manipulate Rifts +2, 2-handed, +2 PPE/rd to do MD)
Branaghan Arms Special Overcoat (+2A/+1T; It Has Pockets!)
Bag of Holding
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Gaspard Gillead wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 pm I had a blast. In particular, the final fight was grim and challenging, but not completely overwhelming--well done, there. Having Mondain spend personal bennies to push against us would've made sense (I usually keep criteria for NPC bennies in my notes, so that I have some idea of when and where they're likely to spend them), but GM bennies, specifically, are for making the encounter more fun in general, and I think you achieved that just fine as it was.

I'm totally happy on the loot front. If someone feels they got too much, I'd straight-up suggest "spending" your share on charitable works, or forging contacts, or even just raucous partying when we get back to Hope (or earlier, if we stop off).

As for RP/Adventure on the way back, well, that's a matter of plot. We've got our Open Chat for RP, so that fix is always available for those who have some spare time to post. Epilogue encounters and such aren't really needed, unless you want to set something up in terms for the next adventure (or even foreshadow further out, if you've got plans that extend that long).

In general, then, I've had a blast, and don't see many big-picture places where you need improvement.

I do have one strong suggestion, and it is indeed map-related. Map size isn't an issue for me, so long as you lay them out fairly coherently. But with so many individuals on the map (including additional summons on both sides), it becomes very tricky to determine who is who. Including names in the initiative queue, next to their avatars, would've made things a LOT clearer.

Also, on the subject of initiative: PCs invest in particular Edges because they want those abilities to be emphasized--for this reason, I'm generally disinclined to agree with folks calling for full-group inits. The guy who drops three Edges on Quick and Improved Level-Headed shouldn't be hamstrung (or pulling forward) the guy who picked Monologuer.

Allied NPCs should usually be tagged to a particular PC--if there's someone who is just hooking up with the group for a bit and you want to participate in combat, then give their stat bloc to one of the players (whichever character it seems most likely for them to want to associate with) and they can get posts in on the same time as that character.

For enemy NPCs, on the other hand, it's usually fine to cluster them--you should never really need to flip more than two or three cards for the baddies, and three would be rare. This gives you fairly discrete groupings--often just, "Fast PCs, NPCs, Slow PCs", which frees up posting order a lot without completely nerfing character design.
I appreciate the feedback. Mondain qualified as a WC, and had the Wild Die (at Master) on his Spellcasting to prove it. I did think the battle was towards the end of its entertainment value, as it was about to become "spawn more lesser demons, Xero, Alex, Everett, Heather kill them or slow them down, ritual squad struggles vs. BBEG, repeat". I didn't want the flavor of the ritual to overpower the rest of the fight. Bennies felt like they would've prolonged the inevitable needlessly.
I definitely agree with you on the Initiative part. In the future, I'll move back to initiative by card, not by group, and I'll try to pare down the number of enemy cards drawn so there's not as much "I go, you go, I go, you two go, I go" etc. I don't want to short the people who've invested in combat and initiative edges. That's a failing of my trying to differentiate the bad guys initiative and letting the combat rounds draw out too long as a result.
Labeling the cards will help, and I'll play with R20 until I figure out how to get names in there. I'm sure it's not complicated. Thanks for that.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Super duper fun. Sad to see slatheros leave though. He was my favorite once he went unconscious.

I love all the map work you do.

I wish Alex had more arms to carry more things.

Hi card draw intitiative is a totally valid way to run initiative. I prefer it in pBp.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Gill

Post by Gill »

I also was having a lot of fun. I think Freemage has a great point about loot, just keep doing what you do, in my own games I sometimes assume a large percentage (about half) is damaged/lost from the vagaries of combat. But honestly for those who have too much let them do as he suggest and donate it away.

On the initiative front, for me it turns into weeks of having much less fun. I normally do "Before Bad Guy, Bad Guys then, After Bad Guys" so all the players go together. But i understand Freemage's point about initiative edges becoming less meaningful. Perhaps if you adopted tighter drag limits between cards. For example, 3 days to post then you are on hold is one I prefer the most, which can depend on group size.

The Maps where clear to me until Dominic showed up and I thought he was a bad guy at first. Once I realized VV joined I figured it out.

For NPC's i think again Freemage is right. While I never have written guide lines on what the NPCs will use their bennies for I think you did fine on using them. As a GM I normally use them to keep the bad guys alive or fighting versus "instant Win" results like slumber, massive damage, mind control, or puppet.

Great Job Snakeeyes!
Gill Chaos Master (Rob T)
Gill Chaos Master
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: MARS Vagabond
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 6 (d6 running); Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (6)
Skills: North American d8 (Native), Notice (Smarts) d10 [/color] All Others d6

Gill's Resources
Bennies: 7
  • +5 Quarter Begins + Great Luck

Wounds: 0 of 3
    Fatigue: 0 of 2
    Focus Pool: 30/30
    Magic PPE: 15 of 15
    Miracles PPE: 10 of 10
    Psionic ISP: 10 of 10
    Techno Pool: 15 of 15

Active Effects:
    Awesomeness +9,000
Curatrix - Avatar of The Chaos
Curatrix - Avatar of The Earth
Race: Avatar of The Earth
Iconic Framework: Intelligent Construct
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+5 (2.5 tons/10 tons), Vigor d12+2
Pace: 0; Parry: 8/11; Toughness: 41 (20); Size: 3 (10' tall 2,000 lbs)
Skills: Athletics d12+2, Common Knowledge d4, Fighting d12+2, Focus d6+2, Notice d4+2 (multi spectrum), Occult d6+2, Persuasion d4, Shooting d8, Stealth d4

Curatrix' Resources
Bennies: 2
  • +2 Quarter Begins

Wounds: 0 of 5 (Ignores all Wound Penalties)
    Fatigue: 0 of 2
    Focus Pool: 15/15
Active Effects:
Awesomeness +9,000
Missouri
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Missouri »

I echo that the map and initiative could have maybe been handled a little better - but also that you did a really good job! I had fun. Thank you!
Missouri Smith
Character Summary
D'Norr A.R.E.S. Archaeologist

Special: -2 vs Fear; Can get irritable/impatient during periods of low activity (requires a Spirit Roll or gets -2 Charisma and -1 to Trait rolls)

Active effects: Quickness (with raise so redraw Initiative lower than 8); +2 Pace, +1 die Agility.
TK Machinegun - Serious Problem: The device or gear applies a –2 to all Trait rolls where it’s used, or its applicable bonus is reduced by 2.

Wounds:

Parry: 7; Toughness: 21(11)
Weapons: TK Machinegun; Shard Pistol; TW Energy Whip

Edges: AB Magic, Attractive, Rapid Recharge, Strong Willed, Wizard

Charisma: +3 (-4 w/Coalition)

Bennies: 4

PPE: 25/20
Powers: Armor, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Quickness, Slumber

Adventure Cards:
  • Ace: Play instead of rolling to make a trait test with a single automatic raise.
Currently playing in: Tomorrow Legion: 12th AAT - The Dirty Dozen
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm Super duper fun. Sad to see slatheros leave though. He was my favorite once he went unconscious.

Hi card draw intitiative is a totally valid way to run initiative. I prefer it in pBp.
Heh. Slatherdaddy isn't gone yet. Nobody asked how long the ritual of destruction was supposed to take...
High card / group initiative does have appeal for PbP, but I think it would require people know up front so they're not tempted to take the Initiative Edges when they won't apply as readily. I can see in a less intense combat, like at the arch, letting it go to side-based initiative. Then when the big fight rolls around, getting down into the details with initiatives. Still, it's a very valid concern that initiative edges become neutered on side-based. I've sampled some of Rob's style of combat, where the PCs are given X number of days to put up a combat post once their turn comes up, or they're placed on hold. While he keeps trying to slaughter my sweet innocent little gremlin TW, the idea of forcing combat along has merit. I may end up adopting that if we run into too many slowdowns. We'll see how it goes when I draw fewer bad guy cards.
Thanks for the feedback!
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Snake Eyes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 pm Super duper fun. Sad to see slatheros leave though. He was my favorite once he went unconscious.

Heh. Slatherdaddy isn't gone yet. Nobody asked how long the ritual of destruction was supposed to take...
High card / group initiative does have appeal for PbP, but I think it would require people know up front so they're not tempted to take the Initiative Edges when they won't apply as readily. I can see in a less intense combat, like at the arch, letting it go to side-based initiative. Then when the big fight rolls around, getting down into the details with initiatives. Still, it's a very valid concern that initiative edges become neutered on side-based. I've sampled some of Rob's style of combat, where the PCs are given X number of days to put up a combat post once their turn comes up, or they're placed on hold. While he keeps trying to slaughter my sweet innocent little gremlin TW, the idea of forcing combat along has merit. I may end up adopting that if we run into too many slowdowns. We'll see how it goes when I draw fewer bad guy cards.
Thanks for the feedback!
I don’t really see them being nutered unless you are talking specifically about them being neutered when compared to other players. When I do side based I still roll all the cards for everyone. So those level headed and quick folks still get their card draws.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Gill wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:18 pm I also was having a lot of fun. I think Freemage has a great point about loot, just keep doing what you do, in my own games I sometimes assume a large percentage (about half) is damaged/lost from the vagaries of combat. But honestly for those who have too much let them do as he suggest and donate it away.

On the initiative front, for me it turns into weeks of having much less fun. I normally do "Before Bad Guy, Bad Guys then, After Bad Guys" so all the players go together. But i understand Freemage's point about initiative edges becoming less meaningful. Perhaps if you adopted tighter drag limits between cards. For example, 3 days to post then you are on hold is one I prefer the most, which can depend on group size.

The Maps where clear to me until Dominic showed up and I thought he was a bad guy at first. Once I realized VV joined I figured it out.

For NPC's i think again Freemage is right. While I never have written guide lines on what the NPCs will use their bennies for I think you did fine on using them. As a GM I normally use them to keep the bad guys alive or fighting versus "instant Win" results like slumber, massive damage, mind control, or puppet.

Great Job Snakeeyes!
I think it exploded a little bit just by pure volume of bad guys slain. When Combat Mages and Necromancers are carrying TW ranged and melee weapons, CM armor, etc. there's bound to be a ton. When you add in just a little extra, all of a sudden, you're making millionaires. It's earned, for sure. Just don't want to give away the farm on the first plow.
I'm definitely considering adopting your "hold after X days" approach. I want to try tightening up the number of bad guy cards drawn to see how that affects the next fight, but if we get too far between posts, I'll start imposing time limits.
I actually don't have a problem with showing Dom as a bad guy at first. He appeared out of nowhere and isn't wearing a uniform. It created a little bit of "who the eff is this guy?!" drama mid fight. Still, labeling the bad guys (now that I've figured it out) will be helpful in the future. I forget I have the advantage in seeing the icons get dragged onto the map.
Thanks for the feedback!
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Missouri wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:18 pm I echo that the map and initiative could have maybe been handled a little better - but also that you did a really good job! I had fun. Thank you!
Glad to hear it! Yeah, I think I'll have the map and initiative stuff sorted out for next time, thanks to the feedback here. I appreciate it!
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pmI don’t really see them being nutered unless you are talking specifically about them being neutered when compared to other players. When I do side based I still roll all the cards for everyone. So those level headed and quick folks still get their card draws.
I think Freemage's point that the initiative edges are going to be used to a teammate's advantage (guy hit with Exalted Slow still acts on his Quick Level Headed buddy's Joker) while someone had to take the edge hit in the first place is very valid. I'd not thought of it that way. The LH / Quick folks do get their card draws, but everyone else took New Power / Power Points or other Iconic edges to toughen up their character, and end up with the benefit of LH / Quick anyway. Leaves it a bit of a finger in the eye to the fast guy.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Snake Eyes wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:43 pmI don’t really see them being nutered unless you are talking specifically about them being neutered when compared to other players. When I do side based I still roll all the cards for everyone. So those level headed and quick folks still get their card draws.
I think Freemage's point that the initiative edges are going to be used to a teammate's advantage (guy hit with Exalted Slow still acts on his Quick Level Headed buddy's Joker) while someone had to take the edge hit in the first place is very valid. I'd not thought of it that way. The LH / Quick folks do get their card draws, but everyone else took New Power / Power Points or other Iconic edges to toughen up their character, and end up with the benefit of LH / Quick anyway. Leaves it a bit of a finger in the eye to the fast guy.
I should note that it's not a deal-breaker for me--I would vote for keeping PC initiatives discrete, but wouldn't pitch a fit if the vote were to go the other way, in a hypothetical voting situation.

Doing side initiative for the bad guys still keeps things fairly simple, tho, since it's only three groupings as a result (and not even that if the baddies draw higher or lower than everyone).
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am down for whatever. Either way I do not care and I’ll have a blast.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Freemage wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:41 am I should note that it's not a deal-breaker for me--I would vote for keeping PC initiatives discrete, but wouldn't pitch a fit if the vote were to go the other way, in a hypothetical voting situation.

Doing side initiative for the bad guys still keeps things fairly simple, tho, since it's only three groupings as a result (and not even that if the baddies draw higher or lower than everyone).
In general, I'd like to have per card initiative. I only switched to try to expedite the final combat. I think at most a "bad guy mooks draw, bad guy WCs draw" would help move things along. 3-4 different bad guy draws muddies the waters. 1 bad guy draw is most likely depending on the size of the group. What I don't want to do is have 20 bad guys all go at once and pile up a bunch of wounds on the good guys that they don't have the opportunity to soak or reduce the number of enemies attacking.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 am I am down for whatever. Either way I do not care and I’ll have a blast.
I appreciate it, my man.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Snake Eyes wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am
Freemage wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:41 am I should note that it's not a deal-breaker for me--I would vote for keeping PC initiatives discrete, but wouldn't pitch a fit if the vote were to go the other way, in a hypothetical voting situation.

In general, I'd like to have per card initiative. I only switched to try to expedite the final combat. I think at most a "bad guy mooks draw, bad guy WCs draw" would help move things along. 3-4 different bad guy draws muddies the waters. 1 bad guy draw is most likely depending on the size of the group. What I don't want to do is have 20 bad guys all go at once and pile up a bunch of wounds on the good guys that they don't have the opportunity to soak or reduce the number of enemies attacking.
One way to balance that out could be to effectively declare that large units of baddies go On Hold until they're all ready to act. So if you have, say, two distinct groups of NPC mooks, led by 3 WC NPCs, you'd draw 5 cards and take the lowest. So it's far more likely that the heroes get to act first--but also very imperative that they whittle down that mass of bad guys before the surge comes. (This gets trickier if you have some of the NPCs having Initiative Edges/Hindrances, or with Exalted Quickness. In those circumstances, I'd say have them draw and act separately.)
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I really like the 3 blocks system I use.

It rewards characters who selected edges while still allowing accelerated play
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Heather Todd

Post by Heather Todd »

The biggest issue I had was knowing who was who. Most of the characters I could figure out, but the summons were confusing to me.

I thought the ritual was about the perfect length. It ended shortly after we had the room entrance locked down with a nice line of tanks with Heather to basically CC the demons and Everett to kill them. It was just going to be a slog then until the ritual ended, which was basically the next round.

As for initiative, yeah, it's a tough one. I'm really not sure there is an answer in PBP. Use what you are comfortable with. Mix it up each time and try different ones out. I'll still be here. I know I just found myself checking in several days in the first part of combat and it still wasn't Heather's turn (though I think I still got the once per week turn, so I can't complain). I just seemed to go faster the second half? I don't know. :) Maybe I'm not making sense! LOL
Character Tracker
Heather Todd Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 14 (6)
ISP: 30/30
Armor: 10/10 PP
Bennies: 4/3
Encumbrance: 28/28 (including pack, 70.75/28, -2 Agility and Strength skills)
Major Psionic: Mind Melters have the Major Psionic Edge and can spend 2 ISP to gain a +1 with any Psionic skill roll, or 4 ISP for a +2 (paid before the roll is made). These effects are doubled when on a ley line.
Mental Resistance/Mentalist: +6 vs Psionic effects, +4 Armor vs Psionic damage, +2 opposed Psionics rolls
Rapid Recharge: 1 ISP/30m
Grenades (carried)
  • 1 High Explosive
  • 1 Fragmentation
  • 2 Plasma
Shard Pistol: 36/36 shots
Fireburst Rifle: 20/20 shots
Adventure Card
  • Let’s Settle This: Play at the beginning of a combat round with no Jokers. No character can soak wounds until a Joker is drawn.
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic »

I liked the first adventure. I would however agree with Rob as far as initiative goes. It does reward the players who took initiative edges, which I feel is important to do.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
Everett Jackson
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Everett Jackson »

I didn't find a second Balitrox. I have 4 arms, I need 2 evil magic-slaying weapons. Cmon!

But, I'm happy. The fight was fun, I think you did well.
Everett Jackson, Titan Juicer
Everett, Human Titan Juicer
Pace: 10(d8); Parry: 8(1) Toughness: 24(9)
  • Uncanny Reflexes: Juicer reflexes are superhuman, granting them −2 to be hit by any attack they are aware of and +2 on Evasion rolls.
Note: Neither Quick nor Uncanny Reflexes apply on the first round of an unexpected combat/high-stress situation.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Ravenous Abandon (Berserk): Per the Berserk Edge, Everett can flip the switch and give partial control over his actions to the Reaver of Essence. This comes at a cost - ending Balitrox's berserking rage is not an option until its hunger has been sated by the blood of a wielder of arcane power
  • Charge: She may ignore the penalty for Running when making a Fighting attack at the end of her movement.
    • Overrun: If he moves at least one inch beyond his normal Pace before making any Fighting attacks, the hero adds +2 to the damage rolls. Any target Shaken by such an attack is knocked prone.
  • Drug-induced Euphoria/Tranquility: In order to keep the Juicer from burning out over a matter of days, the bio-comp constantly supplies a combination of psychotropic drugs and chemical inhibitors to keep him happy and calm. Juicers live in a state somewhere between mildly ecstatic and stoned, which causes −1 to all Smarts or Smarts-linked skill rolls in non-combat or low stress situations. On the first round of an unexpected combat or high-stress situation, the Juicer doesn’t gain the benefits of Uncanny Reflexes or Quick.
  • Frenzy: A character with Frenzy rolls a second Fighting die with any one of his Fighting attacks for the turn. The extra die may be allocated to the same or different targets as he sees fit. Resolve each separately.
  • Internal Repair System: As an action, the Juicer can make a natural healing roll at +2 to heal Wounds; this costs one charge.
  • Level Headed: Draw an additional Action Card each round in combat and choose which one to use.
  • Multi-Optic Helmet: It includes a targeting sight, magnification, thermal, infrared, ultraviolet, and night optics. The wearer ignores Illumination penalties, gains +2 to sight-based Notice checks or to offset Range penalties, and +1 Shooting with calibrated weapons. The helmet includes a hands-free radio (10-mile range) and megaphone voice-projection system.
  • Quick: Whenever you are dealt an Action Card of Five or lower, you may discard it and draw again until you get a card higher than Five.
  • Size +2
  • Split the Seconds: Juicers and Crazies often find themselves living between the ticks of the clock. This Edge allows them to ignore 2 points of Multi-Action penalties each turn (they can perform two actions at no penalty or three at −2 each).
  • Super Endurance: They require only half the normal amount of sleep and gain +2 on all Fatigue checks.
  • Trademark Weapon, Improved: +2 to Fighting with Balitrox and +2 Parry when Balitrox is readied.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; Balitrox's PPE: 5/5
Bennies: 4/3; Internal Repair System: 3/3
Burn: 6/8
Edit Signature

Balitrox speaking into Everett's mind.
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

I do appreciate the feedback, y'all. The initiatives and the map / character labeling issue seem to be the biggest gripes (understandably.) I've got the labeling fixed, and I think I'll do better with initiatives next time.
On to the next one!
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Dominic Skodati

Post by Dominic Skodati »

Everything was perfect, except for those meddling players who made me give back the skull.
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Dominic Skodati wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:43 pm Everything was perfect, except for those meddling players who made me give back the skull.
Think of the riches and women you'd have had if you had gotten to keep it!
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Snake Eyes wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 pm Think of the riches and women you'd have had if you had gotten to keep it!
I need to add a hindrance; world domination.

It upgrades Greedy to a Major.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Venatus Vinco wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 pm
Snake Eyes wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 pm Think of the riches and women you'd have had if you had gotten to keep it!
I need to add a hindrance; world domination.

It upgrades Greedy to a Major.

VV
Technically, there's already a Major Greedy. World Domination would make it like Blind--a Major with a bonus Edge to compensate.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Return to “Adventure Archive”