GM Hangout GMing Advice- Future Blog post

Discussion related to blog articles and content.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

GM Hangout GMing Advice- Future Blog post

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hey VV,

Thought there was some good advice offfered to GM not just in pbp but in general. Maybe it could be incorporated into a blog post at some point. I wanted to preserve it because it is really good.

Pender -Best two I can give ye off the bat is One don’t spend a ton of time recapping player actions. They know what they did. What they don’t know is how the world reacted to their actions. Two, Biggest difference I notice in pbp is you can really do more RP that at the table. Giving players interesting situations for RP is a good tool.

Tribe -The big lesson for me WRT PbP is to not be afraid to be episodic. Doing a step-by-step dungeon crawl, or lots of round-by-round combat will kill the tempo. Much better to wrap the slow stuff up with a skill check and a couple of paragraphs of text, then focus on the scenes that have the biggest payoff in RP and challenge.

Tribe- Although the "slow stuff" like travel etc can be very rewarding if you make the players do all the work --- it's crazy how much story they'll supply when you dangle 1 XP in front of them for an interlude.

Soren- For one thing, if it becomes obvious that the players missed some detail, it's usually easier just to remind them in the group Hangout than feed them the info five times over in your posts.

Marc- I hear VV likes extra work ;)
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6

Return to “Blog Discussion”