Welcome to The Lounge

Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Welcome to The Lounge

Post by Walker »

As you look around the base presents an eclectic feel. Some of the furniture reflecting the old European style enjoyed by some members, other portions representing the hyper tech preferences of others. But the whole of the base is the home you have now. The central meeting room however has been turned into a common recreational area and lounge. A good place to visit with friends and allies while watching a video or having a drink.

Having a Patron is always nice.
base 01.jpg

This is a open RP area for character interactions. All post here should be in character. No need for die rolls (unless by exception asked for) instead this is a place to hang out and chat.
Walker (Rob T)
Walker: Full Character
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d10, Strength d4, Vigor d4
Cha: +0; Pace: 5; Parry: 2; Toughness: 12 (6)
Skills: Healing d4, Knowledge (Arcane) d10, Knowledge (Science) d6, Knowledge (the Aegis Authority) d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Spellcasting d12+4, and Streetwise d6.
Combat Edges: Danger Sense, Elan & Improved Level Headed
Powers of Note: Astral Constructs, Bracers of Deflection, Levitation, Teleport and Astral Form (affected by magic)

Currently Memorized: Phasing on Astral Form and Teleport.

Current Status
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2

Bennies: 1
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Welcome to The Lounge

Post by Walker »

Absently pouring himself some tea with his mind as he relaxes in his chair reading Walker only listens half heartily to the video playing in the background. His may focus was in the book he was reading, these new authors could be good, but he always felt that the classics were where he felt most comfortable.
Walker was a social man by nature, he enjoyed small talk, debate and conversation. Soon some of the others would wake up and join him for some morning drinks and then the chatter could start.
Walker (Rob T)
Skills: Healing d4, Knowledge (Arcane) d10, Knowledge (Science) d6, Knowledge (the Aegis Authority) d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Repair d4, Spellcasting d12+4, and Streetwise d6.
Powers of Note: Astral Constructs, Bracers of Deflection, Levitation, Teleport and Astral Form (affected by magic)

Current Status

Brute
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Brute »

A noticeable vibration in the floor heralds Brute's entrance to the common area.

"Walker! Brute happy to see walker. Brute still getting used to new place. Dee say not to open the strange doors. Brute can't figure out strange doors anyway and Brute promised not to break anything."

Walking over to one of the armchairs and settles gently into it and beams at Walker. Suddenly a cracking sound echoes through the room and Brute suddenly finds himself falling backwards as the chair collapses under him. Now sitting on the floor with his legs splayed out in front of him Brute's shoulders slump in resignation, "Uh oh, now Dee gonna be made at Brute. Brute will just sit on floor from now on so Brute don't break no more chairs."
Hexx
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hexx »

Gothm enters--not from the direction of the rooms, but rather, from the direction of the 'strange doors'. He's wearing a bathrobe, and his hair and beard are damp and smelling of sea-salt; next to him is a very harried looking man, one of Kenneth Marks' staffers, responsible for maintaining the facility.

"No, sir," says the flunky, in response to a comment Gothm apparently made. "I'm not saying that at all. But if you're going to swim, especially near the gymnasium, we just ask that you wear a swimsuit."

Gothm snorts at the beleaguered man. "Then tell Marks to get some made with natural fibers. I have no need of wetsuits or-" he shudders dramatically "--spandex."

"Of course, Mister Gothm, of course. We will take care of that at once." As he hurries off, the man mutters under his breath, "For the sake of my sanity, if nothing else.... If Marks wasn't paying me enough to put Agnes through Yale...." He heads off, still muttering.

Gothm notices his associates. "Ah, good morning to you both." Seeing Brute on the floor, and the remains of the chair, he chuckles softly, clapping the giant gently on the shoulder. "I see I'm not the only one they failed to plan for properly. Don't worry, my friend, I'm certain we will be having new furniture capable of supporting your frame before long, assuming we continue our association with Marks after this mission." He then nods to Walker. "Been up long?"
Katarina "Kat" Wilhelm, aka Hexx
Rising Star
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6 (d8/d12+1), Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
Skills: Athletics d6 (Throwing d12); Common Knowledge d6 (+2 nefarious activities)
Notice d6; Persuasion d4 (-1, or +1 when Networking streets); Stealth d4; Taunt d6 (d12+2)
Academics d8; Intimidate d4 (+2 when Networking streets); Gambling d6; Thievery d6
Perform d4; Fighting d4
Hindrances: Overconfident (Major); Suspicious (Major): Others Support her at -2; Mean (Minor): -1 Persuasion; Vengeful (Minor): Get payback, always; violence usually not required
Edges: SPC SuperPowers; Streetwise: +2 Intimidation/Persuasion Networking with shady characters, Common Know rolls for criminal activities
Humiliate: Free Reroll on Taunt Tests
Strong-Willed: +2 on Smarts/Spirit Opposed Resistance Rolls
Bennies: 3/3
Powers:
Jinx: Foes Mishap on 1 or 2
Switch 1: Negation: RTA (Throwing), Roll Opposed Spirit, Succ/Raise = -1 DT targeted Trait
Switch 2: Malfunction: 12", Spirit (0/-2/-4/-6) + Super-Attribute Spirit III
Switch 3: Attack, Ranged III, 12/24/48, 3d10 Damage, 1 Round Delay, Always Innocent Bystanders
Gifted: Never Unskilled
Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be hit, Agility to evade AoE
Danger Sense: Notice to start combat on Hold when ambushed
Fearless
Super-Attribute: Spirit
Super-Skills: Taunt, Athletics/Throwing
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

"Sorry Brute, let me get you a chair that will hold your weight as least as long as we are all here together." Then with some mumbled arcane words and a few gestures a chair made out of a thin purples and pink plastic looking material forms. "That should do nicely for you and be soft enough for comfort. I am ceetain Delilah will not be frustrated at all over a simply chair. These things happen."

Looking over at Gothm entering Walker was still unsure about the guy. Sometimes his actions felt more like a terrorist, and others more like a normal man with abnormal concerns. "I cannot possibly see the harm in a swim the way nature made us.

"Perhaps sometime we can swim together and you could introduce me to some of your friends I see you chatting with. I have never had much luck with animal communication spells and would be interested in your ability to so reliably communicate with them. My understanding is many see animals the octopus especially have intelligence on par with humans."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Hexx
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hexx »

Gothm nods at Walker. "My point exactly," he says on the subject of swimming au naturel.

Then he chuckles a bit. "Well, my first piece of advice would be to stop using human intelligence as your benchmark. They have no use for most of the trappings that we balding monkeys have crammed under the word 'intelligence', and thus have largely managed to exist without destroying their own habitat--something which humanity seems utterly incapable of."
Rising Star
Skills: Athletics d6 (Throwing d12); Common Knowledge d6 (+2 nefarious activities)
Notice d6; Persuasion d4 (-1, or +1 when Networking streets); Stealth d4; Taunt d6 (d12+2)
Academics d8; Intimidate d4 (+2 when Networking streets); Gambling d6; Thievery d6
Perform d4; Fighting d4
Hindrances: Overconfident (Major); Suspicious (Major): Others Support her at -2; Mean (Minor): -1 Persuasion; Vengeful (Minor): Get payback, always; violence usually not required
Edges: SPC SuperPowers; Streetwise: +2 Intimidation/Persuasion Networking with shady characters, Common Know rolls for criminal activities
Powers:
Switch 1: Negation: RTA (Throwing), Roll Opposed Spirit, Succ/Raise = -1 DT targeted Trait
Switch 3: Attack, Ranged III, 12/24/48, 3d10 Damage, 1 Round Delay, Always Innocent Bystanders
Fearless
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

"I did not mean to offer offence or devalue your friends Mr Gothm. I simply have found that humans are often more willing to speak with me without trying to kill me than most animals in their natural environments.
"If you would be willing I would still love to join you for a swim and introduce my self to your friends, I am sure many of them of incites, we humans have missed and overlooked."

If Gothm says yes Walker will go and strip down for a swim, seeing no problem with removing his clothes as he often must in order to maintain the most sensitivity with the forces of the universe.
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Mitchell Maxwell
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Mitchell Maxwell »

Mitchell floats into the room. His telekinetic awareness easily picking out Brute’s massive frame.

No idea what you went through my friend, but the density of your hide is somewhere between Silver and Lead.

Walker’s controlled breathing gave him away. The ‘old man’ had seen a lot and had a lot of practice remaining calm.

Slight imbalance between the right and left lung. Time gets to everyone eventually.

Gothm ‘s presence hit Mitchell like a truck. Always like a storm contained indoors. Primal and dangerous.

I am glad he is on our side and keeps it together. How did those old commercials go? It’s not nice to fool mother nature or something.

“Looks like I wasn’t the only one with the idea of taking a little R&R. I have to say, these are some of the nicest accommodations I have been in a while. I’ve got the feeling, though, we won’t be able to enjoy them for long.”
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

As Mitchel floats into the room Walker looks over. "Welcome, would you like something to eat? I prepared food earlier and have been maintaining its freshness. I think after breakfast I may be going for a swim and will need my energy supposing Gothm is willing."
Then getting himself up with a slight groan Walker heads over to the prepared buffet and refreshes his own plate.
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Mr. Raith
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Mr. Raith »

Mr. Raith casually walks across the ocean floor several hundred feet from the emergency hatch. The solitude and serenity one can experience at the bottom of the sea is an order of magnitude greater than that on the surface, at least as far as Raith is concerned, and he likes to take advantage of it when circumstances permit. Though little sunlight penetrates this deep into the sea he remains aware of everything around him.

Occasionally, like now, he will allow the smaller fish to nibble lightly on his out stretched hands, amused as he is by the flickering light of their dim animal spirits darting in and out and around him, curious to inspect this strangely shaped intruder into their watery realm and lighting up his preternatural senses with bright schools of lightning in motion all around him. Eventually a single, much larger and slower moving light is attracted by this gathering. This larger one moves with a deceptive lack of agility compared to the smaller fish as it skirts around the perimeter of Raith's awareness with a steady, silky smoothness Raith can admire.

This one is the predator.

With a soft Whoomp! the vacuum left in Raith's wake as he teleports is instantly filled with seawater, stunning the small motes of light that had surrounded him and casting them to drift in the current until they regain their bearings or are eaten by another opportunistic predator. Raith reappears a short arm's reach from a confused Mako shark and sinks his stone-hard hand into its brain before it can swim back off into the deep. A short series of Whoomps! later he is standing on the emergency hatch, the twitching carcass of the now dead shark in his arms.

He teleports into the airlock on the other side of the hatch, bone dry except for the bleeding shark in his hands. From here he walks slowly and casually to the lounge and dumps the dead (but still twitching) shark into a nearby sink. "Dinner is served. I already ate its liver so you all can have the rest to yourselves tonight," he announces to everyone in the room in a bored tone. He then crosses the room and makes a show of inspecting a circular chart hanging on the wall. "And Brute? The Chore Wheel here says you are responsible for keeping the floors clean this week. There is a bunch of shark blood in the hallway between here and the emergency hatch that needs to be mopped up. Get on that, will you? Before it dries? The Old Man made breakfast and as you can see I have already provided dinner for tonight-" he gestures to the quivering Mako shark in the sink, "so keep your end up, will you? We don't need a repeat of the troubles we had last week when you were supposed to clean the restroom."
Mr. Raith
Mr. Raith
Dead Soul
Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Charisma: -2 (another -2 CHA in close contact re: undead); Pace: 6(d6 running), 12 teleport; Parry: 9 ; Toughness: 18(6) Armor also negates 4AP from ballistic attacks
(Spectral Strike melee attack: d8+3d6+4, 6AP, HW, Mult. Attacks :: Shattersoul melee attack (1/round): weapon(optional, +1d6+4 dmg if unarmed)+d8+2d6, Focus, +1Reach)
===>Ruthless, Arrogant, Mean, All Thumbs
===>Fighting d12 +3, Stealth d10 (+2 w/stealth suit), Notice d8 +2, Taunt d8
===>Immune to Fear, called shots, poison, disease and 1 wound level, +2 to recover from being Shaken, doesn’t breathe
===>Danger Sense: gets a Notice roll at –2 just before a sneak attack or event occurs
===>Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
===>Deflection: -2 for enemies to hit w/ ranged
===>Two Fisted: Attack with each hand, no MAP
===>Awareness: Ignores any and all obscurement penalties like darkness, fog, invisibility, etc
===>Always considered armed
Hexx
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hexx »

Gothm nods at Walker. "No offense taken. And I would be happy to go back out with you after breakfast."

He nods to Mitchell, as well. "Good morning. Breakfast is quite good."

He eats casually for a bit, then sits up with a start when Raith appears with the mako shark. He strides over, looking down at the hapless creature writhing in the sink, then turns to face Raith directly. In a low, even voice, he says, "I would ask that, in the future, you confine your hunting to species that are not on the endangered species list as Vulnerable or worse."
Rising Star
Perform d4; Fighting d4
Powers:
Fearless
Mr. Raith
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Mr. Raith »

Mr. Raith is caught unawares by Gothm's fury at his choice for dinner. "Oh for crying out loud, man! It's just a bloody fish!" He glances in the sink. "Literally, in this case. Besides, how am I supposed to know what is endangered and what isn't? There were plenty of them around the last time I was awake."
Mr. Raith
Mr. Raith
Dead Soul
Charisma: -2 (another -2 CHA in close contact re: undead); Pace: 6(d6 running), 12 teleport; Parry: 9 ; Toughness: 18(6) Armor also negates 4AP from ballistic attacks
(Spectral Strike melee attack: d8+3d6+4, 6AP, HW, Mult. Attacks :: Shattersoul melee attack (1/round): weapon(optional, +1d6+4 dmg if unarmed)+d8+2d6, Focus, +1Reach)
===>Immune to Fear, called shots, poison, disease and 1 wound level, +2 to recover from being Shaken, doesn’t breathe
===>Danger Sense: gets a Notice roll at –2 just before a sneak attack or event occurs
===>Awareness: Ignores any and all obscurement penalties like darkness, fog, invisibility, etc
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

As he works on cleaning up the mess from breakfast and putting away the dishes he dirtied Walker listens and watches the interplay between Raith and Gothm. He prepares himself to teleport out in case one of them crosses the line. When they seem to resolve to differences in a civilized way he relaxes a bit. "I was under the impression that undead do not require nutrients Mr. Raith. Where you not gifted with the full range of powers available to others of your kind?
"Is that how you somehow retain your full intellect, and sentience?"
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Brute
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Brute »

Brute scowls at Raith's appearance with the shark. Brute does not understand why exactly but he has an intense distrust and dislike for the undead creature.
"Brute not know chore wheel Dead Man. Dead Man clean up Dead Man's mess and Brute clean up Brute's mess. Brute think that good idea." With that he gathers up the larger pieces of the chair and heads off to find a trash bin.
Mr. Raith
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Mr. Raith »

Old Man wrote:"I was under the impression that undead do not require nutrients Mr. Raith. Where you not gifted with the full range of powers available to others of your kind? Is that how you somehow retain your full intellect, and sentience?"
For a fleeting moment a look of uncertainty passes over Mr. Raith's face before he levels his gaze at the Old Man. "My kind? There are no others of my kind. And you should be very, very thankful for that." Then he snickers. "Um, am I to understand you've never heard of vampires or that peculiar strain of brain-eating zombie or the like? And no," he raises an arm and announces to everyone in the room before they can get worried, "I'm not either of those myself, so don't be alarmed...I just need a little protein here and there like anybody else, just not as much," he says while lightly patting his stomach. Then Raith looks back at Walker and grins wickedly, "Strange...you say you are unaware of undead needing food...I just would have assumed an old fart like you would have heard of vampires, at least."
Brute wrote:"Brute not know chore wheel Dead Man. Dead Man clean up Dead Man's mess and Brute clean up Brute's mess. Brute think that good idea."
A theatrical mock-sigh escapes Raith's lips as he says, "Tsk tsk, well that's not very neighborly of you, I must say. Let the record show Brute refuses to abide by the Chore Wheel I so painstakingly created. I guess it's true what they say, 'You can bring a barbarian to civilization but you can't bring civilization to...' Well you get the idea."

OOC Comments
Just for the record: Immunity to hunger is a separate power that does not come with the base Undead powers Raith has. So I'll have him eat (mostly) meat here and there but it doesn't have to be blood like a vampire needs or anything like that.
Mr. Raith
Mr. Raith
Dead Soul
Hexx
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hexx »

Gothm grumbles a bit at Raith. "We are but visitors in their home. We should be good guests, and not upset the balance of things here. I will provide you a list of species in this area that should not be killed. I trust that will suffice?" Without waiting for a response, he goes off to the computer lab to do some printing off the endangered species list.
Rising Star
Perform d4; Fighting d4
Powers:
Fearless
Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

Delilah walked into the lounge in jeans and a simple t-shirt eating a bagel with cream cheese. “Are you boys fighting again?” she asked with a sigh as she noted Brute cleaning up broken furniture. At least that was the only thing broken. “This is why we can’t have nice things.”

Summer wandered in then, wearing plaid pajama pants and a tank top, her brown hair still a muss from bedhead, despite the late hour of morning. She made barely intelligible noises as she sank into a chair with a bowl of cereal.

Delilah sighed and shook her head, going to straighten out her daughter’s hair a bit. “We need to start thinking of starting your schooling again,” she told her teenage daughter.

“Hrumph,” Summer replied.

Delilah just set her mug of coffee down on the side table beside Summer and went to get another mug.

Summer eagerly grabbed the coffee and sipped it.
Character Tracker
Delilah Carter Character Sheet
Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 13 (6, negates 4 ballistic AP)
Super Strength: +2 die types Strength= d10
Uncanny Reflexes: -2 on incoming attacks
Improved Nerves of Steel: Ignore 2 points of Wound modifiers
Level Headed: Best of two initiative cards
Blinding Reflexes: Can make an Agility roll to move out of AoE effects
Regeneration: Roll natural healing every round, halve time recovering from Fatigue, all injuries are temporary
Gifted: Ignore -2 penalty when making unskilled rolls
Eagle Eyes: Halve range penalties
Infra/Low-Light Vision: Ignore illumination penalties
Pulse Blaster Rifle: 22 shots
Adventure Cards:
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

When Summer comes in to show Walker the armor she designed for him with the built in stealth system he is please with the design. "Thank you Summer." Truly short of words at the appearance of the armor combined with the technology placed in it by the teams benefactor he is simply amazed. "I do not have the words. Tgis is nicer than anything I had while working for the Authority the first time."
Artwork
dr-fate-injustice-.jpg
(For those who do not know, this is Dr. Fate from injustice)

KENMARK Refraction Armor (Patron Item)
A medium armor that practically makes its wearer invisible by bending light and muffling sound.
  • +6 Armor and +2 Toughness
    Full Environmental Protection
    Built-in mini-computers for basic functions
    Communications system with a 10 mile range
    Public-address loudspeakers
    Night and thermal vision mode for vision
    No Strength Minimum. (12 lb)
Features:
  • • Experimental Cloaking Technology.
    • The invisibility only works on the suit and not any carried gear or attached harnesses that are not adaptive etc. (Invisibility 4, Device, Personal only)
    • In addition, the armor grants a +2 bonus to stealth in any setting due to a computer controlled adaptive paint job and padded boots and joints.
    • Weight: 12 lbs.
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

Summer smiled brilliantly at Walker’s praise of her costume design. “Thank you, Mr. Walker,” she said. “I’m glad you like it. It was a challenge to make, with all that tech in it.”

The pretty teenage girl shuffled her feet slightly. “Um, can I ask you something, Mr. Walker?” She took a breath. “I’m trying to be useful. None of the rest of you have family you need to worry about. I don’t want my mom to worry. But I don’t want to sit here worrying about her, either. Or Bradley. I’m not...super or anything, like you guys. And there’s no ARES program anymore to get powers. Well, I suppose Mom could work something up with Kenmark’s resources. But, well, I was wondering if I could study with you -- and maybe Mr. Gothm -- and learn that magic stuff. Then I could take care of myself, right? I mean, mom and dad insisted I take self-defense classes, but I mean something...more.”
Character Tracker
Regeneration: Roll natural healing every round, halve time recovering from Fatigue, all injuries are temporary
Adventure Cards:
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Walker smiles warmly at the nervous girl. "There is no gift greater than the gift of learning and no reward greater than the reward of watching a pupil grow.
"I would love to take you as a student. I think there are many things I know that you could learn. But likewise, i am sure there are many things you know I could learn."

With those words Walker's eye grow distant for a second as he thinks about his greatest pupil Dominic. Dominic had so much potential, but when he chose to use the teachings bestowed upon him for crime and then betrayed the people of earth to side with the invaders Walker was heart broken. he saw the signs of darkness in Dominic, the way he reacted when things were against him, and his lack of empathy for those in need. But he let himself be distracted by the honor of teaching such a talented student.
Is this okay?
Dominic: I imagine him much like Walker in build, but without the Old, Luck and Level Headed chain. Instead using those points for more offensive or aggressive traits. I think he could be a cool recurring nemesis for Walker to be frustrated by?
If not, then the stuff can be ignored, I wont cry.
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

Summer beamed. “Thank you, Mr. Walker!” she said. She impulsively gave the old man a hug. “I just don’t want to be a burden.” She paused a moment, considering. “I suppose I should ask if it’s okay that Bradley and I are spending a lot of time together?” she asked Walker. “I mean, I don’t know his parents, so I can’t really ask them. I like him. He’s cool, nice.” She blushed a bit.
Character Tracker
Adventure Cards:
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Thinking children will do what they do regardless of what old men and women say, but not willing to condone something on behalf of another Walker says.
"That is aquestion more for your mother than I."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Hexx
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hexx »

Gothm, now clad in his armor, enters in time to hear Summer's request. "I, too, would be honored to have you as my student, Miss Summer. I do not know if my connection to the Mother can be 'taught', but I am more than willing to make the effort."
Rising Star
Perform d4; Fighting d4
Powers:
Fearless
Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

Summer paused. “I’m afraid of what Mom might say,” she admitted to Walker with a rueful smile. “I just wanted to make sure it was cool with you, since you’re Bradley’s grandfather.”

Summer turned as Gothm entered, and beamed at his words. “Thank you!” she told the druid. “I will do my best to learn,” she promised.
Character Tracker
Adventure Cards:
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

"I think you will find your mother's desires are for your best interest. But I know teenagers will do what teenagers do." Closing his book all the way and offering to walk with her he says. "Let's get you a book from my library." Them pauses briefly as he is walking at an old man's leisurely pace.
"I think you you already know what you should do. But are instead looking for acceptance. Instead perhaps you should ask yourself do I want to be treated as a teenager or an adult by the team?"
Then pulling a book off its shelf he hands Summer the book, still written in the original Common Greek of 2000 years ago. "This is Principles of Order, it is one of the first books. I will need you to start your studies with. By the time you finish it, you will be able to use magic.
"with enough time, practice, and learning those skills will grow."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"That's it? Read a book?"

Lily trotted down the staircase in a black hoodie and blue jeans, her long black hair gleaming with purple highlights that shifted with the light hitting it.

"I'm actually really curious about this 'magic' stuff too. I figured it'd take too much time for me to study personally, but anyone can read a book, right?"

She grinned.
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Turning to see Lily, Walker smiled at her. "Yes, it is as simple as reading books and practicing what is taught in them."
Walking back a couple steps to indicate the smalls library he brought with him Walker adds. "These are some copies of my favorites, I brought them here so I could reread them as needed. I find even as a well practiced individual I often need to rethink and reread the basics.
"The more you read, the more you learn, and the more you learn the more you will be able to do."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"Hey Summer," greeted Lily with a smile as she went over to the books Walker was indicating. Her eyes roved over the spines, taking in the details of their bindings even as her translator tracked her eye position and whispered what the letters she was looking at meant in words only she could hear.

"What confuses me then, if it's that easy, why aren't more of you doing it?" she asks. "Is it a...cultural thing?"
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Lily Coleman wrote:"Hey Summer," greeted Lily with a smile as she went over to the books Walker was indicating. Her eyes roved over the spines, taking in the details of their bindings even as her translator tracked her eye position and whispered what the letters she was looking at meant in words only she could hear.

"What confuses me then, if it's that easy, why aren't more of you doing it?" she asks. "Is it a...cultural thing?"
"Easy miss Coleman?" The smile is not insulting but definitely shows amusement at the idea that study is easy. "There are not more of us for the same reason their are not more world renowned theoretical physicist, neural surgeons or any other of the great skills Ms Coleman. Humans like every other animal in creation are lazy by nature and would usually prefer doing anything but work today for benefits tomorrow."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Lily grins again.

"Yeah, but there ARE more theoretical physicists and neurosurgeons than there are people who practice magic, aren't there? You're kind of dodging the question there. From what I've seen you do, the potential of magic should be drawing thousands to study it. There should be schools. Universities. But it's not."

"What gives?"
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Lily Coleman wrote:Lily grins again.

"Yeah, but there ARE more theoretical physicists and neurosurgeons than there are people who practice magic, aren't there? You're kind of dodging the question there. From what I've seen you do, the potential of magic should be drawing thousands to study it. There should be schools. Universities. But it's not."

"What gives?"
Please with how observant the warrior is on the finer details Walker enjoys the conversation and nods towards the hallway so they can return to the lounge. "You are correct. Only one person in a hundred thousand may have the potential. But their are billions of people in the world. However you may be surprised to know that their are thousands of arcane wielders in the world. most do not have the dedication or talent to reach my own skill. But there really are many."
Not wanting her to think he is being evasive he makes sure his comments are fully explicit. "You are correct not everyone can learn the talent. However Summer is an exceptional child and her mind is strong enough that with the time and energy spent on the exercises in the book she will develop into a practitioner. I cannot say however how powerful she will be, until her aura begins developing."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"Huh," Lilly mused. "I wonder if that's something we can help you with. Or maybe the other way around."

She wasn't a scientist, and wasn't really up on all the physics of biokinesis, but some of the terminology that was getting thrown around was similar. The human word 'aura' matched up really well with the Dalaraan word for the biokinetic field, though the translator noted it had connotations rooted in what was considered superstition.

What if magic and biokinesis had some kind of common ancestor though? The power of the Dalaraan was more focused, more reliable, and had been made into something just about everyone could do. Human magic was, in contrast, very rare and wildly unpredictable in all but the most experienced hands...but also considerably more flexible in its applications.

Ugh. She was probably reading too much into it. Looking for points of connection...being undercritical of pattern-recognition urges.

Not sure what else to say, Lily picked up a book at random and skimmed through it. Some of the words were old enough, or obscure enough, that the translator started adding disclaimers to its work fairly often.

this word appears in an unknown, ahistorical context; translation is approximate

"So," she said, just to make conversation. "You're really old for a human, huh?"
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Nodding Walker confirms her assumption. "Indeed, I am fortunate that learning the arts has preserved my life for longer than most of my ancestors. When I was born we had a completely different world. There where none of these modern computers, and technologies, no ARES super soldiers with such amazing powers. Even those with arcane skills such as mine where so rare and unheard of that even when using them in front of people their minds would deny the reality filling it with a delusion of coincidence.
"But by the time the Second War came the occult become a major factor and Hitler's obsession allowed many of my fellow Germans with arcane skill to raise to dangerous levels of power."

Sighing Walker finishes. "It seems there is always someone trying to control others. I wish it were not so, but unfortunately such is the way of the universe."
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

"Mmm...the way of Earth, maybe." Lily shrugs. "Don't get me wrong, my world has its share of conflicts too, but they never got as...out of hand as here? But it's kind of...uh..." she paused as she queried her translator for an appropriate phrase, "...apples to oranges? I mean, it's not really fair to compare how our people changed over time. We started out from a very different place."

"And in the end, there does have to be order. Some kind of hierarchy, to represent the needs of all versus the needs of one. No matter how much we try to align those interests, it never completely lines up."
Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

Notice 8
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Wild [dice]1[/dice]
Ace [dice]5[/dice]
Common Knowledge 5
Smarts [dice]2[/dice]
Wild [dice]3[/dice]

“Well, I would like to be treated like an adult, of course,” Summer said. “And adults can pick who they date.” She smiled.

She followed him to the library and took the book he gave her. “Great!” she said enthusastically, flipping open the book. She stopped. “Um...it’s written in some kind of magic letters,” she said, looking up at Walker. “I can’t read this.”

Summer turned as the newest member of the team joined them. She smiled at Lily. She liked the alien girl, and her hair was awesome. It was really weird, though, to have an actual good alien on the team. But she looked human, unlike the sarpah.

“Hey, Lily. Can you make anything out of this?” she asked, holding out the book. She was pleased that Walker seemed to think her smart enough to learn magic. But if she couldn’t read the book, she couldn’t exactly start.

Summer gaped at Walker. “Wait, you mean you were, like, a Nazi?” she asked. “Just how old are you? I mean, you look ancient, but…” She stopped, realizing her mouth had run ahead of her brain, and blushed.

“Sorry, Mr. Walker,” she apologized. “Will that happen to me? Will I live forever? Lily, do you have magic where you’re from?”

Conditions
Character Tracker
Adventure Cards:
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Lily took the book and let her eyes drift over the unfamiliar characters in it. It was all Greek to Lily...even though in this case it was literally all Greek.

"Yeah, seems like there's enough on file to give a semi-decent translation," she opined. "Archaic version of a relatively isolated language group so not ideal but..." she gave Summer a chummy wink, "...you'd be surprised how good these things can be."

"As for magic, well, sort of? But not really. My people all generate fields of energy, and we can learn to control them and make them do things, but it's not quite the same things as what Walker does. See?"

Lily held up a hand, and the room was suddenly lit up in a bright, garish hue of reddish-purple as a wavering plume of light erupted from it in a long, tapering column. She was very careful to keep it far away from anyone, and anything valuable, and quickly extinguished it.

"That's just one thing, one discipline. There's lots of other things we can do."
Walker
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Walker »

Summer wrote:“Well, I would like to be treated like an adult, of course,” Summer said. “And adults can pick who they date.” She smiled.

She followed him to the library and took the book he gave her. “Great!” she said enthusiastically, flipping open the book. She stopped. “Um...it’s written in some kind of magic letters,” she said, looking up at Walker. “I can’t read this.”
Walker smiles a little and nods turning to her children were sometimes so willing to stop as soon as they came across the smallest stumble in the road. "Of course you can read it. The writing in koine, the common tongue of ancient Greeks and a much easier language than our own. I will of course help you with getting started."

Summer wrote:Summer gaped at Walker. “Wait, you mean you were, like, a Nazi?” she asked. “Just how old are you? I mean, you look ancient, but…” She stopped, realizing her mouth had run ahead of her brain, and blushed.

“Sorry, Mr. Walker,” she apologized. “Will that happen to me? Will I live forever? Lily, do you have magic where you’re from?”
Understanding her surprise Walker tells her that same thing he has had to explain to so many for so long. "It was the Kaiser that sent me to Turkey, and then to Egypt. I was a Monarchist at the time and very opposed to the National Socialist when they started to rise many years later. I admit I voted for Hindenburg but that did no good. He was a week leader and when under pressure from others he appointed the very man he ran against, Hitler, as chancellor the fate of Germany was sealed.

"The political maneuvering by that tyrant where effective, and the fanaticism of the Aryan under him was enough that I left. I only wish I had stayed or perhaps attempted to assassinate him. None of us knew then how bad it would be, until it was too late."

The words spoken, Walker gains a far away and sad look as he thinks of the live lost and the pain of the holocaust.
Walker (Rob T)

Current Status

Delilah Carter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Delilah Carter »

“Wow!” Summer said as Lily made her hand erupt in reddish-purple light. “And you all can do that? Makes me wonder why you didn’t try and conquer Earth before,” she said, perhaps slightly frightened.

She looked at the book again. “So I have to learn Greek… Great. And I barely was passing Spanish.”

Summer listened as Walker reminisced. “Well, I’m glad you didn’t stay. You might not be here to teach me magic then,” she said, giving the old man a cheeky grin, trying to jar him out of his memories. “And then I wouldn’t have met Bradley.” She blushed slightly.
Character Tracker
Adventure Cards:
Buffy Laskaris

Post by Buffy Laskaris »

Lily shook her head at Summer's assertion. "No way! Conquering Earth was never on the table. For one, morally and ethically repugnant. For another, even if we didn't CARE about that sort of thing, we still wouldn't have. Just unworkable. Completely unworkable. A bad idea no matter how you slice it."

She waved a hand at the ceiling.

"We're still not completely sure what the Sarpah want with Earth even. I mean, it's one thing to chase a few colonists off a world so you can mine it yourself...that makes a kind of sense at least. But Earth has billions of people! They'd never be able to completely conquer it, even if they defeat your militaries...which they couldn't!"

With a shrug Lily concluded, "All I can figure is that there's some kind of endgame we haven't seen yet...and that's not good news for any of us."

Return to “Archive”