08 Cut Scene - A Short Time Ago

Ndreare
Savage Siri

08 Cut Scene - A Short Time Ago

Post by Ndreare »

OOC Comments
You guys did an amazing job of keeping the post going which is awesome. We shot past one of the scenes I planned which was introductions, but that is okay. I will toss it here as a brief flash back which you can respond to or simply read.

In this scene you were intended to meet the officers of the Wild Treader and and have a chance to interact.

The Wild Treader
Captain Harry Hunt
First Officer Commander Eric Lamar
2nd Lieutenant Manni Sambs

Cut Scene - A Short Time Ago
The arrangements for the captain of the ship was quick and easy as the Guard Captain was able to make the arrangements.
As you arrive to the ship you are introduced to Captain Hunt, First officer Lamat, and 1st Lieutenant Sambs. They all great you with welcome, however there is something about them that is hard to put a finger on.
OOC Comments
A notice or persuasion roll (players choice) will reveal they are up to some kind of mischief.
You are shown to the shared sleep area you will be allotted and warned that dwarves are known terrible seaman. One of you must volunteer to be responsible for cleaning up his messes before he is allowed on the ship.
“You are fortunate, not many ships can handle the ocean and the river so well as the Wild Treader. But we have been requested to see you all the way to Eastport and will be able to do such for you.” Captain Hunt tells you.
The 1st Mate offers some sleeping herbs that blend nicely into the ships port if perhaps the dwarf becomes too unruly when he wakes. "Well, do you have any questions?"
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Lysennia Moonsinger
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: 08 Cut Scene - A Short Time Ago

Post by Lysennia Moonsinger »

The sun is well past its zenith as the Veiled Courtesan moves out of the harbour. Lysennia stands easily on on the deck, watching the hands busy with helping the ship clear the harbour. She sees the the ships captain, a slightly portly man, with a florid red face issuing orders to his crew. Once out into the open river, the steersman will keep the ship largely to the centre of the channel, letting the gentle current take the small ship down to the sea.

Shortly before they cast off, Lysennia had watched Bradon and Aronan carrying a snoring Angis on to the boat, with Laura in tow. She had raised an eyebrow quizzically at Bradon as he passed her on the deck, but the ranger had not uttered a word, other than a barely heard curse under his breath about how 'damned heavy' dwarves were.
Notice Check
Notice Die - [dice]0[/dice], Ace - [dice]2[/dice], +2 (racial), Total = 10
Wild Die - [dice]1[/dice]
Now as the ship makes her way out into the channel, Lysennia looks at the sky once more. "I have time yet,", she thinks. The journey down to Granite Port and the sea will take the rest of the afternoon, and most of the evening. With luck they would be out on the open sea come nightfall. "A propitious time", she thinks to herself.

Across the deck, she can see the girl Laura, leaning over the rail of the ship, looking briefly backward toward the city, before turning her gaze toward the prow. Inwardly she wonders if she had ever been like her. Eager, excitable, and with a sort of wide-eyed innocence to her. It was to be hoped that she did not have to learn how harsh the world could be too soon.

"Does she belong with our group?", she thought to herself. "Even Aronan seems to have more experience of the world than this child. . .", she catches herself making assumptions about another that have been made about her her whole life. "What do I know of Laura, her life. She may look young and untried, but looks can be deceptive", her thoughts going back to the conversation with Asmirath, and the assumptions he clearly made about her.

Lysennia walks across the deck toward Laura, coming to stand beside her at the port rail. "So, first time out on a boat? Or is it a ship? I'm sure there is some definition of the difference between the two, but I'm sure only bearded old sailors know what it is." she smiles at Laura. "I'm Lysennia by the way. We did not have chance to become acquainted back at the castle, but it seems we are to be companions for a time."
Last edited by Lysennia Moonsinger on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lysennia Moonsinger
Let creatures of Flame beware my wrath. . .
Seasoned Eldakar Druid (27xp)
Parry: 7 (2), (+1 from bracers, +1 from staff)
Toughness: 5, (+1 from Tanzanite pendant)
Power Points Remaining: 9/10
Bennies: 4/3
Fatigue: 0
Wounds: 0

Adventure Cards: Landra's Blessing, Breath of Life

Update Signature
Danyar

Post by Danyar »

Notice was a 6 per RFT
As the others are settling down and the sailors are at work, Danyar examines the boat carefully. Looking for areas for defense in case of attack and where the sand buckets are in case of fire. After walking the whole boat, he will settle down at the bow and keep watch. Except to eat and personal things, he will remain at the Bow with his hood up and bow close by keeping watch all the way down the river.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)
Aronan
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Aronan »

As they set sail, Aronan takes in the view of the city. The humans are curious folk, living in homes that go above ground, some towering tiger than the might trees of Korindia. Underground, on the ground, and above ground, humans are a most versatile race. Although, give me a good tree hut any day

As they pass by landmarks, Aronan asks his companions what they are and what they indiciate.

"Does anyone know the lands we are passing by. My knowledge of geography is very much lacking."
Aronan
Charisma: -2; Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 7 (2)

Golden Benny: 1
Benny's: 3
Lysennia Moonsinger
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Aronan wrote: "Does anyone know the lands we are passing by. My knowledge of geography is very much lacking."
"The river here is flowing down through the foothills of the Black Mountains. To the north are the strongholds of the Dwarven Clans, to the south Granite Port on the coast. From there we head east, it is several days travel to Eastport", says Lysennia matter of factly.
"The only part of the journey that gives me any cause for concern is the stretch along the Dominion coastline. That stretches from just beyond Westport along the coast until we get close to the Shaintar delta where we will reach Eastport. Let us hope that we can avoid any entanglements whilst we are out on the open water"
"You could ask the captain his opinion, but I would guess we'll be fine until we're out on the open water. We should probably try and get some rest whilst we can. It may be worth supplementing the watches with our own people once we are at sea".
Lysennia Moonsinger

Update Signature
Lysennia Moonsinger
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Another Essay
Sorry, been wanting to write this since we decided to travel by sea. . .
The moon casts a silvery glow over the rippling water as later that night, Lysennia returns to the deck alone. Her bare feet feel the wooden planks beneath them, worn smooth by the elements, and the hours scrubbing by sailors. The crew are largely idling having little to do at the current time. The steersman keeps the ship on course, a lookout watches for obstacles ahead, and there are the sounds of water lapping at the side of the boat, mixed with snoring coming from various directions.

Taking a piece of charred wood from the brazier on the deck, Lysennia marks out a circle, the symbol for the wholeness, the unification of all things. Within the circle she inscribes four runes, Earth, Sea, Sky, and Nature. Not runes of power these, merely mnemonics to help her focus, not really necessary at all. The magic woven by those who follow the four paths does not require the formulas of alchemy or the strict rubric of sorcery. In some ways it is more instinctive, almost primal. The Druid opens herself up to channel the will of the forces of life, moulds and shapes that will, which is raw and unfocused, into what is required there and then. Tonight however it is not the power of life she hopes to tap into, but rather something within her, Landra's gift to speak with the spirits.

Stepping into the circle she kneels and lowers the hood of her cloak. The moonlight catches her hair as she lets it fall about her shoulders. She takes a deep breath. This is the first time she has tried this since she and Wolf had parted company. With him it had seemed so easy, she spoke and the spirits answered, eagerly. The whole time she had been in the glade, she had never felt truly alone. Here it feels different, she struggles briefly with herself as she thinks about what it might mean should the spirits not hear her call. But no, she has to be sure, they will hear her.

Closing her eyes she tries to relax, to sense the flow of life around her, and then she starts to sing. Her voice wavers a little at first, almost as if she is startled to hear the sound coming from her own throat, but that passes almost immediately, and her voice becomes clear and assured. The song is old, its words lost before any had thought to record them, and an age since any could truly say they understood them, yet to Lysennia they are clear, as if writ in letters a hundred feet tall across the essence of her spirit. Her voice never wavers as the melody soars, carrying with it the wistful joy, the freedom of flight. Then she feels it, the light touch, the ripple of the air brushing her hair against her cheek. She smiles as she senses the presence of the spirits, and opens her eyes. Two or three wind sprites weave in and out of the rigging of the ship causing canvas to flutter with their passing, and before her the larger figure of a zephyr. One or two sailors look up at the rigging, unable to see the sprites, muttering something about the breeze getting up.

"You came. I wasn't sure if I could reach you outside of the glade, but I called and you heard." Lysennia is filled with a mixture of happiness, pride and childlike glee that she had managed to attract the attention of the air spirits.

"Welcome little sister how is it with you this fine evening?", asks the zephyr.

"All is as it should be, as Landra wills it", she replies.

"That is well. May Landra guide you safely in the path of Life", the words were formal, but Lysennia senses the warmth within. "I see you travel, perhaps our journeys may be in the same direction for a time."

"That would be most welcome", she replies, "for our journey is made in haste. We seek certain individuals fleeing from the consequences of their actions. Those actions seemed part of a plot to thwart the creation of new life and in its stead, allow the vile practice of Necromancy to prosper. I would ask if you and your kin can ease our passage, give us favourable winds to speed our journey. We have lost so much time already to those we pursue, encountering a storm whilst at sea may allow them to escape us."

"It shall be as you ask. These others", the zephyr indicated the sprites, "will carry the word ahead. This ship is to remain unmolested as it bears you to your destination. Meantime, long has it been since I last spoke with one of Landra's chosen."

Lysennia feels herself being gently lifted to her feet, her cloak billowing around her as the wind takes it.

"Let us talk awhile, that I may come to know you better", she again feels the lightest touch of the breeze on her skin and allows herself to be drawn to the prow of the ship before perching precariously on the bowsprit. And there she sits for the next couple of hours to all outward observation talking to, occasionally laughing with the wind that whips around her, and though at times the gusts are quite strong, particularly when others approach her, she remains sat at ease with no hint that she may fall into the waters below.
Lysennia Moonsinger

Update Signature
Tieronar

Post by Tieronar »

OOC Comments
Notice[dice]0[/dice]
Wild[dice]1[/dice]

Persuasion[dice]2[/dice]
Wild[dice]3[/dice]
Tieronar spends the trip completely distracted by the ship, its workings, and the land sliding by. Though he spends a lot of time talking with the captain and crew, the Brinchie is far too excited to pay much attention.

"So, how long have you been a captain?"

"Have you ever encountered Pirates. Or Bandits. Or Sea Ruffians?"

"What's the scariest monster you've ever seen at sea?"

"What's that do?"

"Can I climb into that basket on the mast?"

Tier has no cool when it comes to things he's excited about. You should see him try to talk to people he find attractive.
Charisma: -2; Pace: 8; Parry: 7 (9/10), -1 TO BE HIT (Skein of the Ages), Opponents at -2 Gangup against me. , Toughness: 9 (3) Bennies: 3+2+1/3 +2+1
+ 1 Golden Benny
Bradon
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Bradon »

Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild dice [dice]1[/dice]
Persuasion [dice]2[/dice]
Wild dice [dice]3[/dice]

Just from observing and briefly speaking to the captain, Bradon's suspicions were aroused.

"I have some training in seacraft," he told the captain, "happy to help how I can."

Once out of sight, Bradon catches a moment with Lysennia and Aronan

"Not sure what the crew are up to, but I get feeling something isn't right. Best to keep on our toes here."
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Tieronar wrote:"So, how long have you been a captain?"
Kinda giggling a bit as if the question was funny the captain says. 'Oh, i have been a captain for about 3 months, but this has been a career of 30 years for me. Signed up when I was 12 I did."
"Have you ever encountered Pirates. Or Bandits. Or Sea Ruffians?"
Pirates, or we have had lots of run ins with pirates. I suggest never trusting them if you ever meet one.
"What's the scariest monster you've ever seen at sea?"
"We have three times been chased by a black ship. Each time it sends chills down my bones and slows the thinking of every man who sees it."
"What's that do?"
"Oh, the black ships are normal ships like any other, but they are crewed by necromancers and their undead slaves. They say each sailor that falls at see ends up in the service of a black ship necromancer."
"Can I climb into that basket on the mast?"
"No, that is for the lookout. If you want to work, i can be you to work. But I cannot have you getting in the way of my men. I would have to toss you overboard as a mutineer if ya did.
"You sure do ask a lot of questions. Best be running off, I got work to be about."
With those words he walks away going to join his first mate. The two of them look around to your guys suspiciously and exchange some words.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Angis Ironheart
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Angis Ironheart »

Angis groans, belches, farts something noxious, and rolls over, snoring again. At some point he gets up, walks over to a bucket, and relieves himself, then walks back and falls right back over asleep. Is it possible to sleep pee? Apparently for dwarves.
Character Tracker
Angis Ironheart Character Sheet
Parry: 9; Toughness: Melee 13 (4)/Ranged 15 (6); Pace: 5
Heart of Stone/Magical Resistance: Armor 5 vs. Magic; +5 to resist Magic
Crossbow bolts: 19 (Loaded: 3/3)
Shield Essence: 4/4
Bennies: 1/3 + 1 Golden Benny
Adventure Card
Laura Reis
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Laura Reis »

Laura looks around the boat taking it all in and watching the crew expertly perform their craft to get the ship ready. As they begin to leave she stares blankly at her world she is leaving behind when her thoughts are suddenly interrupted.
Lysennia Moonsinger wrote:Lysennia walks across the deck toward Laura, coming to stand beside her at the port rail. "So, first time out on a boat? Or is it a ship? I'm sure there is some definition of the difference between the two, but I'm sure only bearded old sailors know what it is." she smiles at Laura. "I'm Lysennia by the way. We did not have chance to become acquainted back at the castle, but it seems we are to be companions for a time."

"It is my first time. I'm pretty obvious hunh. That there place is all I've known. Except reading I do a lot of that. I do know the distinction between ships and boats is that a ship is a square-rigged craft with at least three masts, and a boat isn't. They are typically smaller. Oh and I am Laura. I am super excited to see stuff like this and just get out. You know find all the cool things I have read about."
Laura Reis
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d4
Skills: Fighting d6, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Dark Creatures) d4, Knowledge (Flame Creatures) d4, Knowledge (Magic) d8, Lockpicking d6, Notice d6, Sorcery d10, Stealth d6, Streetwise d6, Throwing d4
Charisma: -; Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6 (2)
Edges: Education, Epic Destiny, Fast Learner, Sorcerer
Powers: Bolt, Boost Trait, Deflection, Cantrips
Bennies: 1/3

ESSENCE:  7/10
ACTIVE EFFECTS: None
Lysennia Moonsinger
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Laura Reis wrote: "It is my first time. I'm pretty obvious hunh. That there place is all I've known. Except reading I do a lot of that. I do know the distinction between ships and boats is that a ship is a square-rigged craft with at least three masts, and a boat isn't. They are typically smaller. Oh and I am Laura. I am super excited to see stuff like this and just get out. You know find all the cool things I have read about."[/b]
Lysennia listens to Laura talk, sensing a certain kinship. All that book learning, but almost no real world experience. She had been like that, once upon a time, and half a lifetime ago.

"The world is full of wonder Laura, from the lush swamps of Dregordia, to the snow capped peaks of the Black Mountains. Life if rich and verdant and all around us. Take it in, rejoice in its diversity, every day see something new and wondrous that makes you happy to be alive", Lysennia regards the young girl, her expression becoming more serious.
"I cannot tell you how this trip will turn out, it may be a bold adventure, it may however at times be grim and the way forward unclear.
Danger may cross our path, when it does, sometimes the unexpected occurs. At that time have faith in your companions. Stay close to them and trust their judgement. I know you are as yet unfamiliar with them, but they are by and large good men, at least insofar as I have seen."
Lysennia Moonsinger

Update Signature

Return to “Adventure Forum”